Event Discussion

Volcanion has already been given out in japan iirc
Besides, why can't we get both?
I didn't even know that. And haha, yeah I'm fine with both. It just makes a bit more sense for the volcanion movie event to give out volcanion. Gardevoir is one of my favorite shinies, so I would love to have it too.

Well, the Manaphy is in my line of events to receive from the Pokémon Center NPC now; it's gonna have to wait a bit, but I'm looking forward to getting one! I still remember how good it felt to receive the Lv 50. Red Scarf Manaphy back in Gen 4. What a "Cool" Water-type Pokémon.

I like how the flavor text upon receiving Manaphy acknowledges its in-game origin:

To celebrate 20 years of Pokémon, you have received Manaphy!
Manaphy could originally be brought into Pokémon Diamond Pokémon Pearl by first
obtaining its Egg in Pokémon Ranger.​

You say that now, but when Mega Miltank comes along to make milk and wreck faces, (and it's all out of milk,) you're gonna regret it!

That said... I can't be bothered getting a Miltank, fancy IVs or no.
Pass :V

Reactions: JES
So somehow Greninja won the poll for who gets distributed alongside Volcanion at the movie. Was hoping for Zygarde or Floette or something so they'd have an excuse to push out the remaining event-exclusives before they get locked out of Gen VI permanently, but nope. :(

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just got an NA Mew code via newsletter email, so that's a thing apparently. (This header of the email was about Manaphy if that helps you locate it.)

Serebii said:
For those of you internationally, a new event has been revealed. If you have participated in any Play! Pokémon VGC events, including Regionals, Premier Challenges, Nationals and even the International Challenge Battle Competitions, then you will receive an e-mail for a special Shiny Mewtwo with its Hidden Ability of Unnerve. The code will be distributed via e-mail in late July and the code will expire in August 21st 2016. You need to make sure your account has a valid e-mail by July 10th and that your account is opted into Play! Pokémon events before you participate in any. This Mewtwo matches the one given in Japan and comes with the Mewtwonite Y and is Level 100 with the moves Psystrike, Psychic, Recover & Aura Sphere
They're giving out a Shiny HA Mewtwo to anyone who's participated in any VGC events this year! This is pretty exciting; not just because of the Mewtwo, but because it also indicates that GF/TPCI is really making steps to support the competitive scene.

They're giving out a Shiny HA Mewtwo to anyone who's participated in any VGC events this year! This is pretty exciting; not just because of the Mewtwo, but because it also indicates that GF/TPCI is really making steps to support the competitive scene.
Wait, you mean the American VGC? And the same VGC that is already done/too late to participate in, just to get said HA Mewtwo?!

Aw, fuck it! At least Mewtwo prefers Pressure anyways (and it's not like I don't have a shiny Mewtwo)!

At least I have a Mew to retrieve. Guess I have another thing to do tomorrow.

Wait, you mean the American VGC? And the same VGC that is already done/too late to participate in, just to get said HA Mewtwo?!

Aw, fuck it! At least Mewtwo prefers Pressure anyways (and it's not like I don't have a shiny Mewtwo)!

At least I have a Mew to retrieve. Guess I have another thing to do tomorrow.
Well, Unnerve Mewtwo is good for VGC thanks to how a lot of things like Sitrus Berry.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I recieved the newsletter but it didn't have the mew code in it. Any idea why?
My code was located about a third of the way down the e-mail. Here's a screenshot of the section the code was located it. My code is censored, obviously, but it was found underneath the black box.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In other Event News, CoroCoro revealed two big ones:

Magearna:
First, those in Japan who attend the next Pokemon movie will receive a Ga-Ole disc which QR code can be scanned in Sun & Moon to get a Magearna! It'll have its Signature Ability, Soul Heart (doesn't say what it does), and the moves Fleur Cannon (no info on this either), Flash Cannon, Lucky Chant, & Helping Hand.

Image of Magearna using Fleur Cannon. In the Sun & Moon thread I discussed my thoughts on it.

Election Greninja:
The distributed Greninja who won the recent Japanese Pokemon elections will have its Hidden Ability, Protean, and the moves Hydro Pump, Gunk Shot, Mat Block, & Happy Hour. In other words you can probably breed and train a better Greninja than what you'll get cause Happy Hour is useless unless you want to grind money. You know, since the Japanese get events all the time I guess this is no big deal, but if this happened in the states I would be SO p1$$3d. Which is why if they do the Election thing internationally (which I hope they do) we either end up getting a Mythical Pokemon or they do something special with the Pokemon that wins we can get in-game normally (seriously, there's nothing inherently wrong with an Event Pokemon getting a special move, if its a normal Pokemon it actually makes it worth a damn because otherwise we can breed & train one that would be better. Like if we got Greninja give it Origin Pulse or Night Daze or even Recover would be nice).

I dunno, I think that running a popularity contest but having people vote for pokemon with the intent of getting a new move or ablility out of it is counter productive to a TRUE popularity contest. It's meant for people to vote for their favorites, and not because they will get V-create on something.

For that reason, I'm kind of glad that Gamefreak kept the released Greninja pretty modest.

...but that being said, popularity contests are pretty shallow and ambiguous even under the best of circumstances so this is just me splitting hairs.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's been confirmed that the Magearna QR code, which originally was going to be given away on Ga-Ole discs to Japan moviegoers, is going to be distributed in a different way internationally! More details to come.

From Magearna's Sun & Moon website bio:
If you use the new QR Scanner function in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon to scan in the corresponding QR Code, you'll be able to obtain the Mythical Pokémon Magearna! Magearna will be a special ally that you can put to work on your behalf in the world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

Check back at Pokemon.com/SunMoon for details on where to find the QR Code to get Magearna!
Either they're just going to post the code somewhere on the site if its the same code for everyone or have it be in a newsletter or giveaway at a participating store if the codes are unique.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
lol, Japan's also getting a distribution of Simisear, the Pokemon voted the worst at the Pokémon Centers & Pokémon Stores in Japan later this month.
Please let its moveset include one of the Legendary Fire-type Signature moves. That would just be the cherry on top. I'd say Sacred Fire or Searing Shot, or heck, how about both since Simisear's offense stats are equal. :P

"Hidden within the official site's post regarding the Magearna distribution in Japan this summer, where you get given the disc for Magearna for Pokémon Ga-Olé which contains a QR Code to scan into Sun & Moon that gives you Magearna, it was noted that the QR Code can only be scanned into Japanese versions of Pokémon Sun & Moon, indicating that future events distributed by QR Code will likely be region locked as well. It was previously confirmed that the Magearna distribution will also be by QR Code in Europe and North America later this year."

I'm angry

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
"Hidden within the official site's post regarding the Magearna distribution in Japan this summer, where you get given the disc for Magearna for Pokémon Ga-Olé which contains a QR Code to scan into Sun & Moon that gives you Magearna, it was noted that the QR Code can only be scanned into Japanese versions of Pokémon Sun & Moon, indicating that future events distributed by QR Code will likely be region locked as well. It was previously confirmed that the Magearna distribution will also be by QR Code in Europe and North America later this year."

I'm angry
This only makes sense if all QR Codes for each region is the same within that region thus they can control when the events take place (Japan fans will first get their chance from the Ga-Olé dics going to the movie, US fans in another event, Europe in their own, etc..).

However that doesn't seem like the case, it sounds like each one is unique. So what region lock them? If I have a friend in Japan who got an extra Ga-Olé disc, why can't he give the QR code to me or a friend in Europe? How does it affect the Pokemon Company someone not in Japan was able to get a Japanese Magearna? They may not do/go to the event when it happens in their country? Big deal, for every person with a friend in Japan there's a few thousand who don't and they'll participate in the event when it takes place in their country.

I dunno, I think that running a popularity contest but having people vote for pokemon with the intent of getting a new move or ablility out of it is counter productive to a TRUE popularity contest. It's meant for people to vote for their favorites, and not because they will get V-create on something.

For that reason, I'm kind of glad that Gamefreak kept the released Greninja pretty modest.

...but that being said, popularity contests are pretty shallow and ambiguous even under the best of circumstances so this is just me splitting hairs.
Voting with the idea of the pokemon winning being part of a give-away is counterproductive to begin with. To get an actual popularity contest going you have to state that no give-aways will come from this and take better measures to allow for pokemon to be ranked better (allowing for more picks per a person helps with this some). But of course, then you run into the issue that most surveys run into, people tend to not care if they are not getting anything out of it. ~shrug~ TDLR: Surveys are annoying to get data from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)