Event Discussion

Wait, V-Create is an event move too?

*googles*

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GAME FREAK GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER ]
and I thought I was still PO'd about Defog/Softboiled Clefable/Extremespeed Entei/Sludge Bomb Zoroark/Sludge Wave Gengar...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, gotta check the Nature of my Movie Event/V-Create Victini. Hopefully it was a time I was aware of Natures/got lucky.

Still, stupid for this Victini not to have V-Create. I can understand not having Fusion Flare or Fusion Bolt, no matter how competitive it makes it, but V-Create is one of its signature moves (I don't care if a Rayquaza got it, it was only one Rayquaza and was only in Japan)!

Maybe Sun & Moon will make V-Create a special Tutor move like Relic Song & Secret Sword?

I just remembered actually. Because of Bottlecaps, and because the shiny event beasts from way back when (like... pre BW, didn't they unlock the event-only-at-the-time Zoroark when transferred from gen 4?) have set natures, I still have my shitty Adamant Entei in 'Box, except I'll be able to use it in SM! Sweet! I always thought of bottlecaps as making SRing legends easier, never thought about applying them to older legends I already have. (Or if anyone still has a working DS phat and FRLG, more softboiled Clefables.) Shame I don't have more stuff with event moves, though. Any notable ones I'm forgetting?

D_what said:
I just remembered actually. Because of Bottlecaps, and because the shiny event beasts from way back when (like... pre BW, didn't they unlock the event-only-at-the-time Zoroark when transferred from gen 4?) have set natures, I still have my shitty Adamant Entei in 'Box, except I'll be able to use it in SM! Sweet! I always thought of bottlecaps as making SRing legends easier, never thought about applying them to older legends I already have. (Or if anyone still has a working DS phat and FRLG, more softboiled Clefables.) Shame I don't have more stuff with event moves, though. Any notable ones I'm forgetting?
Wish Chansey, for one.

The Second Chance Darkrai is up for the PAL region as well. It's available with the code: DARKRAI2016.
It's probably available until the end of the month, but make sure to get it while you still can :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
We discussed this in the Sun & Moon thread and thought might as well post it here. For the first few months of Sun & Moon's release you can get a Munchlax via Mystery Gift. It's Level 5, can have any Nature, has either Pick Up or Thick Fat, has a Classic Ribbon, and is in a Cherish Ball.

This Munchlax has been confirmed to know two event moves: Hold Back (a False Swipe clone) & Lucky Hour (a move that doubles the money earned in trainer battles). But there's more to this Munchlax then two exclusive moves, it's also holding a Z-Crystal: Snorlium Z. After evolving Munchlax into a Snorlax you can unleash a Z-Move only Snorlax can use (being this isn't the Sun & Moon thread I'll leave it at that).

The Snorlax Z-Move aside, Munchlax itself isn't that bad of an early game Pokemon, especially this one. In terms of being a battler it has a BST above the Starters which includes a huge HP stat and decent Attack and Special Defense. Defense and Special Attack isn't all that high but for early game they're perfectly serviceable. Of course its slow, and by that I mean its Speed stat is tied with Shuckle being the lowest of all Pokemon, at base 5. However as mentioned about it has the HP and defense to take hits and dish them out. Which is good as it means in trainer battles you can use Lucky Hour to double your winnings which should help with early money grinding. Also with Hold Back it would be very useful in capturing Pokemon. And as an Event Pokemon it'll earn double experience.
Also Munchlax evolves via Friendship so if you take good care of it you'll have a Snorlax sooner then you realize. Of course depending where you want to go with Snorlax you may want to hold off evolving Munchlax for a while:

Two notable moves Munchlax learns that Snorlax doesn't is Stockpile and Swallow. In Gen VII it learns these moves at level 28 and 33 (as of Gen VI). A bit of the way but if you use it often it'll have these moves by the time your Starter is about to fully evolve.
BUT if you go that route you give up some stuff only Snorlax can learn: Yawn (Level 20 as of Gen VI), Rest (28), Snore (28), and Sleep Talk (33).
So if they don't drastically change its level up moveset, its up to you: Do you want a Snorlax which can increase its defense stats & heal itself via losing those defense stats OR a Snorlax who can put opponents to sleep, heal & cure itself by falling asleep, & still attack while asleep.
Or you can get the best of both worlds by going the Stockpile & Swallow route and then use a Move Relearner to teach Snorlax those other moves you want it to have.

Team Bosses:
Japan is having an interesting promotion. Starting on October 1st, every week for six weeks (ending November 11th, a week before Sun & Moon are released) they're having a promotion based on the villain team bosses. They're Rocket Giovanni's Nidoqueen, Magma Maxie's Camerupt, Aqua Archie's Sharpedo, Galactic Cyrus' Weavile, Plasma Ghetsis' Hydreigon, and Flare Lysandre's Pyroar (male). Nothing is known about them except which Pokemon is being distributed, though an interesting about the event is that each Pokemon Center has a different distribution schedule (Serebii lists only 11 Pokemon Center, which means one of them (the one in Yokohama) has a unique distribution schedule as the others share their distribution schedule with another Pokemon Center).

Even though it probably won't be released outside of Japan this sounds like a fun event. Meta wise it sort of is building up to Team Skull by reminding of the other villain teams and the battle with their bosses (making us wonder what Guzma's big battle will be and his signature Pokemon). That said I'm noticing and wondering about a few oddities:
0. First let's assume they're going to have the same setup as when we faced them in their game. I doubt they'll be given any special moves.
1. Giovanni's Pokemon is Nidoqueen? Now throughout the games and Pokemon media Giovanni has had multiple "signature" Pokemon. Just going by the games he mainly had three: The Rhyhorn family, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen (also Kangashan but its not Ground-type). I can understand not wanting to use the Rhyhorn family since the strongest member of that family is Rhyperior a Gen IV Pokemon, they want to keep to Gen I. So we got Nidoking and Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen has been Giovanni's strongest Pokemon when you battle him in Silpho Co. and in HGSS at Tohjo Falls. However when you face him in Viridian Gym his second strongest Pokemon was Nidoking (after his first strongest which was a Rhyhorn for some reason and not Rhydon). Also in BW2's Pokemon World Tournament, while he uses Rhyperior, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen in the Kanto Leaders Tournament, in Type Expert he drops Nidoqueen. Also thematically wouldn't a male mob boss want to relate himself to a king? Like you can take Nidoqueen being his strongest in Silpho Co. meaning you're about ready to face your final battle with him but not yet and in Tohjo Falls as a symbolic message he has fallen out of his "kingly" position.
2. If they do base them on one of their in-game setup the items they'll be holding will be all over the place. Maxie's Camerupt and Archie's Sharpedo will probably come holding their Mega Stones. Only time Giovanni's Nidoqueen held an item was in the PWT and it was a Passho Berry, Cyrus' Weavile held a Sitrus Berry. Lysandre's Pyroar never held anything (infact it should only come with three moves. Also one could say Lysandre's Signature Pokemon was his Mega Gyarados...), and Ghetsis' Hydreigon only held an item in BW2 which was a Life Orb. Honestly if it was me making this event I'd just make the "ideal" version that way I can give them any item which would make sense (Weakness Policy for Nidoqueen, Razor Claw for Weavile, King's Rock for Pyroar).

The second chance Darkrai was only for PAL regions? cause I still haven't gotten my trainer club newsletter and the PAL code won't work for me :/

Serebii: "Volcanion to be distributed at EB Games in Australia from October 10th through 31st".
Well, that came out of nowhere... Hopefully, it will be confirmed for other regions soon as well.

Serebii: "Volcanion to be distributed at EB Games in Australia from October 10th through 31st".
Well, that came out of nowhere... Hopefully, it will be confirmed for other regions soon as well.
Well, it matches the American distribution which was revealed to be at Gamestop in October as well.

Volcanion is confirmed to be distributed in Germany and Italy too, so it will come to other countries. I expect announcements soon for other countries.

"Some further European distributions for Volcanion have been confirmed. In Sweden, Volcanion will be distributed from October 1st through November 23rd at Gamestop, Webhallen & Spel & Sånt stores, you'll be able to get the Serial Code for Volcanion. This Volcanion differs slightly from the one announced for North America in that rather than having the Assault Vest hold item & Explosion move, it more mirrors the Japanese version and holds the Rage Candy Bar and has the move Mist."
~serebii

okay so if you're in america and you didn't get the Darkrai from gamestop, they're giving you another chance until October 31st.
Just go to mystery gift and put in the code Darkrai20 to get Darkrai.

(I know this is technically a double post but it concerns something completely different that only showed up after the previous post)

The Volcanion event has now begun in many countries across the world. In the UK and Spain, it can be obtained at GAME. In Finland it can be obtained at GameStop, Pelaajashop, Verkkokauppa, Viihdepysäkki, Discshop & Konsolinet. In Denmark it can be obtained at Gamestop. In Norway it can be obtained through Gamestop, Neo Tokyo stores as well as Gamzone and Spillsjappa and in Sweden it is in Gamestop, Webhallen & Spel & Sånt. It begins in other countries including the US on October 10th
~Serebii

Not sure whether to put this here or in the have a question thread...

So my local gamestop(in the us) has already begun distributing volcanion codes, so I got one. I tried putting in the code but it said "The gift is not there..."
Is that code permanently unusable or can I use it again in or after October 10th?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Suddenly out of nowhere there's a new event for america; put in the code 2016HOOPA on mystery gift and you get... well, a hoopa
And oddly they're calling it a second chance Hoopa yet its different from the Hoopa they gave out for the movie. I'm not home at the moment, has anyone who got the movie Hoopa tried getting this one?

Not sure whether to put this here or in the have a question thread...

So my local gamestop(in the us) has already begun distributing volcanion codes, so I got one. I tried putting in the code but it said "The gift is not there..."
Is that code permanently unusable or can I use it again in or after October 10th?
I would imagine they would let you use it again, would be pretty lousy of them to make the code unusable yet you didn't get the Pokemon because the event didn't start.

And oddly they're calling it a second chance Hoopa yet its different from the Hoopa they gave out for the movie. I'm not home at the moment, has anyone who got the movie Hoopa tried getting this one?

I would imagine they would let you use it again, would be pretty lousy of them to make the code unusable yet you didn't get the Pokemon because the event didn't start.
If the mac hoopa is the one you're talking about I can confirm that you can get both that one and the Alexander one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)