Event Shiny Larvitar for European and Korean VGC Events Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
via Bulbanews:

The Pokémon to be distributed at this year's Video Game Championships has been revealed.

While only confirmed for European and Korean games so far, Shiny Larvitar can be obtained by attendees of this year's championships using their Pokémon Black and White games. The Larvitar will know Superpower, which the species can only learn through a move tutor in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, and will hold the Chople Berry, which weakens Fighting-type moves.

This follows the trend of Pokémon distributions at the World Championships, right after Pikachu in 2007, Lucario in 2008, Shiny Milotic in 2008/2009, Weavile in 2009, Crobat and Shiny Eevee in 2010, and Scrafty in 2011.
Press Release:
GO SHINY LARVITAR!

A rare Shiny Pokémon confirmed as character distribution at the 2012 Pokémon Video Game National Championships: www.pokemon.co.uk/vgc

London, UK —February 20th, 2012— The Pokémon Company International today announced that there will be a unique character distribution at the 2012 Pokémon™ Video Game National Championships taking place across Europe during March and April. Attendees will be able to walk away with a rare Shiny Larvitar, a Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon with unusual colouring. Players will need to bring along their copy of the Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version game and their Nintendo DS™, Nintendo DSi™, Nintendo DSi XL™, or Nintendo 3DS™ system to receive this unique distribution.

This Shiny Larvitar knows the powerful Fighting-type move Superpower, which can only be learned in Pokémon HeartGold or Pokémon SoulSilver from a special tutor. It also comes holding a useful Chople Berry, which is difficult to obtain in the games. Larvitar can eventually evolve into Tyranitar, which, thanks to its strong stats and its Ability to kick up an unending Sandstorm, has been a very popular character since its introduction in Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version in 2000.

For more information about the 2012 Pokémon Video Game National Championships, including full conditions of entry, tournament locations, dates and times, prizes, and more, please visit: www.pokemon.co.uk/vgc
Link about Korea: http://pokemonkorea.co.kr/html/WCS/wcs2012.asp

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This isn't too shabby at all, gives something back to spectators I guess, last year there didn't seem to be much for people who go and get knocked out early/didn't play. I do like shiny TTar as well,

But i hope it's not god a godawful, unhelpful nature, that could ruin it entirely.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
If it's ability is non-dreamworld then there's nothing special about this Larvitar, considering you can teach Larvitar Superpower in HeartGold.

Now if it's ability IS dreamworld then we have something special on our hands, as Unnerve Tyranitar cannot learn Superpower by any other means.

And yeah, Chople Berry is easy to get now. But isn't it available in the Dream World?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Considering they say this:
Larvitar can eventually evolve into Tyranitar, which, thanks to its strong stats and its Ability to kick up an unending Sandstorm, has been a very popular character since its introduction in Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version in 2000.
It looks to be just like any normal larvitar from HGSS, but in a Cherish Ball. Still worth RNGing if you don't have a Gen 4 game.

Is Superpower better then Low Kick? I would think Low Kick, everything it is likely to get used on will be taking good damage from it

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Low Kick is probably better in VGC, especially whenever Ubers make their return to the scene, but since Superpower is 120 power regardless of weight, there are probably a few things that it's better against.

Both have the same power max, though low kick needs requirements and superpower lowers two of your most important stats. And If you want white herb for replenishment you're losing chople. And don't both require ss/hg? (I'm probably wrong here, bet it's an egg move) Anyway this sounds great, though why not the US?

Also its trait is probably going to be random and can be changed if you turn your game off and try again (assuming it's one of those). Personally I like the event idea, but if you live in the US it's probably better to just rng one u in ss/hg instead of getting a plane ticket to go there.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
too bad its not low kick. Low kick is better for reliability. SP forces you to switch to retain stats while lowkick can be used. Works better when ttar is one of your last mons.

This is cool, and I guess its only for Europe and Korea because U.S nats are months away. We can expect a US one a month away from nats.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I SR'd it four times and they were all Male, but I'm still not certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)