Ubers Excadrill [GP 2/2]

Have you watched Gurren Lagann in order to get the references in this analysis?

• lolwut ofc I have u stupid fgt

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Gurren Lagann? You mean the stuff with the drills?

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters

ROW ROW FITE DA POWA
Overview
########

Excadrill still digs in its own niche in the Ubers metagame because its utility as a Rapid Spinner cannot be overlooked. This niche is rare, and the typing and stats that Excadrill is blessed with do not leave it vulnerable to the entry hazards that it removes, as well as paralysis and Toxic, and lets it hold its own in a fight. Though one might turn to a Defogger for hazard removal, the overall decrease in spinblocker usage has made Excadrill more effective at spinning in this generation. Add in useful abilities to take advantage of- and you have the recipe for one of the best Rapid Spinners in Ubers. However, Excadrill has lost its resistances to Ghost and Dark, ironically making spinblockers even better against it. In addition, its typing isn't too sweet defensively, leaving it vulnerable to common types such as Water, Ground, and Fire. In other aspects of its downsides, one of its niches of being a Sand Rush sweeper has been nerfed due to Sand Stream only lasting 5 turns now. Still, Excadrill is an invaluable team supporter, as its niche can cut through both karma and fate, and in turn spin your team to victory!

Sand Rush
########
name: Sand Rush
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide / Swords Dance
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
ability: Sand Rush
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========

When backed by Sand Rush, Excadrill's burning blood will cut through fate, as well as the opposing team. Earthquake is the primary move to spam, and Ground is in general a good STAB type to have when sweeping. Rock Slide completes the psuedo-EdgeQuake combo, and makes Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Yveltal grit their teeth. If you don't care about 5-turn weather, overall vulnerability, or setup sweepers, Swords Dance can prove to be deadly provided that you can find an opportunity to set it up and sweep before sand times out. Iron Head is a necessity when attempting to sweep, as bulky Fairy-types such as Fairy Arceus can stop Excadrill. However, Rapid Spin can let Excadrill have extra utility outside of Sandstorm, and Rapid Spin is Excadrill's greatest niche, after all.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the preferred item due to the 30% increase in power. If you are looking for another item option, Air Balloon can provide free switch-ins for Excadrill against bulky Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Gliscor. An Adamant nature is the overall best choice, as Excadrill's Speed is more than good enough in sand and it has more power, but a Jolly nature is very useful for overall performance in and out of sand with faster Rapid Spins, in addition to outspeeding standard Xerneas and Modest Kyogre. However, Excadrill has to hold a Life Orb in order to deal consistent damage with a Jolly nature. Leftovers can be another item option if you have an Adamant nature in addition to Swords Dance and Rapid Spin, as Excadrill can still hit hard without Life Orb and can have more longevity to either set up Swords Dance or use Rapid Spin.

Usage Tips
========

A weird strategy that Excadrill can employ on this set is to use its ability to check Geomancy Xerneas. If a weakened Xerneas decides to use Geomancy, you can sacrifice your weather setter and bring in Excadrill in sand to KO Xerneas with an Iron Head. Excadrill cannot afford to be burned on this set due to it losing practically all of its offensive capabilities, so avoid possible Will-O-Wisp users at all costs. For Excadrill's safety, late-game sweeps are recommended. Because this variant of Excadrill thrives in a late-game environment, playing safe or passively with the team's Sand Stream user is the best method until an opportunity to sweep with Sand Rush presents itself.

Team Options
========

Because of Sand Rush's requirements, a Sand Stream user is required. Tyranitar and Hippowdown are the two best users of this, but both of them have drawbacks. Hippowdown doesn't exert too much offensive pressure, while Tyranitar compounds a Ground-type weakness with Excadrill. But, Hippowdon has reliable recovery and Tyranitar can defeat most spinblockers, and both Tyranitar and Excadrill can overwhelm non-Focus Blast Yveltal. Wish-Passing clerics such as Sylveon, Clefable, and Blissey can heal Excadrill of possible burns and any Life Orb recoil that it has sustained. Yveltal can defeat opposing spinblockers as well as Skarmory and Bronzong, opening a chance for a sweep. Palkia and Grass Arceus can deal with Kyogre and Groudon, two big threats to Excadrill. Ironically, Giratina-O, one of Excadrill's worst enemies, can take the Ground and Fighting weaknesses of Tyranitar and Excadrill on itself and defeat those types, making it a solid ally when choosing Tyranitar as your Sand Stream user. Volt Switch users such as Zekrom and Thundurus, in addition to U-turn users such as Landorus-T and Genesect, can also bring Excadrill in safely to instigate a Sand Rush sweep. Mega Gengar can deal with opposing spinblockers and cripple Skarmory and Bronzong with Taunt. Water Arceus can check the Weather Trio for Excadrill, all three of which can disrupt Excadrill's precious weather conditions. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate Excadrill's Rapid Spin are of course good partners. Yveltal, Rayquaza, Lugia, and Kyurem-W all love the support that Excadrill can provide and the ability to utilize the entry hazards that have already been set, such as with Lugia shuffling the opponent and Kyurem-W and Rayquaza scoring extra OHKOs with entry hazards.

Other Options
########

Unfortunately, Excadrill doesn't have much else to use. X-Scissor can hit the Grass-types that resist Earthquake as well as bulky Psychic-types, but it mostly isn't worth the moveslot. Stealth Rock is a good option to let Excadrill remove entry hazards and set hazards of its own, and it can support its team further with this option. Lum Berry can cure burns and possible confusion, but doesn't offer much outside of that, and you could just run a cleric instead. A Choice Band set can show off Excadrill's solid base 135 Attack in terms of wallbreaking, however Excadrill likes to switch moves when supporting its team with Rapid Spin. Assault Vest can capitalize on Excadrill's usable special bulk and let it take a lot more hits when spinning, but Excadrill should not be taking too many hits anyway. Mold Breaker is an option for dealing with Giratina-O, Skarmory, and Bronzong, but Sand Rush offers more offensive utility.

Checks and Counters
########

**Groudon**: Groudon can switch in easily on Excadrill, threaten it with Earthquake, and nullify sand with Drought.

**Gliscor and Landorus-T**: Excadrill cannot do much to Gliscor and Landorus-T due to their extreme physical bulk, and they can scare Excadrill out with the threat of an Earthquake. However, Gliscor cannot touch Excadrill if the offensive set carries Air Balloon, and Excadrill can set up Swords Dances in front of it, albeit at a time limit due to the limited turns of sand.

**Bulky Ghost-types**: Ghost Arceus, Giratina, and Giratina-O can block Rapid Spin and cripple Excadrill with Will-O-Wisp. Giratina-O easily handles the Sand Rush set but has slight trouble with the bulky set due to Mold Breaker negating Levitate.

**Water and Grass Arceus**: Water Arceus and Grass Arceus can burn Excadrill with Will-O-Wisp, and Grass Arceus resists Earthquake while Water Arceus can threaten Excadrill with a Water-type Judgment.

**Skarmory**: Though Skarmory can hard-wall Excadrill with its typing and recovery, Skarmory cannot harm Excadrill back, and thereby cannot prevent it from using Rapid Spin.

**Bronzong**: Bronzong can also wall Sand Rush sets and can threaten Excadrill with a possible Earthquake. However, it loses to the bulkier Excadrill variants due to Mold Breaker bypassing Levitate.

**Kyogre**: Though it cannot switch in safely because of Earthquake, Kyogre can revenge kill Excadrill with a STAB Water Spout, Hydro Pump, or Surf, and it can remove sand from the field, stopping a Sand Rush sweep cold.

**Rayquaza**: Similarly to Kyogre, Rayquaza cannot switch into a Rock Slide or Iron Head, but it is immune to Earthquake, and Air Lock ignores Sand Rush, letting Rayquaza easily KO Excadrill with a V-create.

**Revenge Killers**: Though none of these are good switch-ins to the offensive set, especially under sand, revenge killers such as Palkia, Mega Gengar, Blaziken, and all formes of Mewtwo can outspeed and KO Excadrill outside of a sandstorm with their coverage moves.

ROW ROW FITE DA POWA
Overview
########

• One of the best spinners in the Ubers meta
  • Good offensive capabilities; typing does not leave it vulnerable to hazards or most status conditions
  • Spinblocker usage has decreased due to Defog
  • Sweet abilities
  • Lost resistances to Ghost and Dark; spinblockers actually do better against it
  • Typing gives it common type weaknesses; Ground, Water, and Fire being the most notable
  • No more perma-weather prevents Exca from abusing Sand Rush as much as last gen

Bulky Rapid Spinner
########
name: Use your Spiral Power!
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Stealth Rock / Toxic
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Leftovers
evs: 176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Rapid Spin=Excadrill's awesomeness in Ubers
  • Earthquake is obligatory STAB; Exca can check Klefki, Aegislash, Dialga and Heatran well
  • Rock Slide is unslashed due to rise of Ho-Oh and new threat in Ygod; Rock Slide does good damage to both
  • Stealth Rock gives Exca even more utility, and can pressure Ho-Oh and Ygod
  • Toxic can troll opposing Defoggers, in addition to Ghostceus
  • Iron Head can hit Fairies if you feel like it, and 2HKOs standard GeoXern and OHKOs Sylveon after SR

Set Details
========

• EVs round out Exca's special bulk, and 20 Spe can let it outrun uninvested base 90's, most notably Ho-Oh and Kyogre variants
  • Mold Breaker is for being able to at worst damage Giratina-O and Bronzong, and can let Exca set up rocks against Magic Bouncers

Usage Tips
========

• Don't get burned, dingus
  • Try catching your friend Ghostceus on a possible switch-in and hit it with Toxic
  • Attempt to spin on stuff you force out with this set (i.e. Heatran, Ho-Oh, Klefki, etc.) to avoid taking too much damage

Team Options
========

• Kyogre
  • SR weak mons (Ygod, Lugia, Ray)
  • Dark-types (to beat silly Tina, Ghostceus and MegaGar)
  • Pivots and/or tanks (Lando-T, Palkia, Zekrom)
  • Klefki (for sweet hazard stacking and can Toxic Defoggers)
  • Clerics (Sylveon, Xern, Bliss etc.)

Sand Rush
########
name: Pierce the Heavens With Your Drill!
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb / Air Balloon

Moves
========

• EQ is best STAB
  • Iron Head can OHKO every Fairy in the tier bar Fairyceus, and is your second STAB option
  • Rapid Spin can still give you utility to your team outside of sand
  • Rock Slide can deal with Ho-Oh, Ygod, and Luigi
  • Swords Dance is relatively difficult to set up due to vulnerability and few turns of sand, but it can be devastating if sand is in play

Set Details
========

• LO is for all the sweet powa and Spiral energy, but Air Balloon can give you switch-in opportunities against bulkier Ground-types like Gliscor (except for Donner cuz Sun is douche)
  • Adamant is more useful if Exca is used solely for Sand Rush, but Jolly can be used for faster Rapid Spins and more ability to function outside of Sand

Usage Tips
========

• Seriously though, don't get burned
  • Aim for late-game sweeps unless Gira-O, MegaGar, or opposing bulky Ground-types are not present
  • Play safe with your Sand setter until an opportunity to sweep presents itself (like a Taunted Klefki)

Team Options
========

• Ttar + Hippowdon (duh); Ttar and Exca compound a nasty Ground weakness tho, but it and Exca together can really annoy non-Focus Blast Ygod variants
  • Clerics like Sylveon, Clefable, and Blissey to heal LO resid and burns
  • Ygod can defeat Skarm and Zong for you
  • Grassceus
  • Palkia
  • Giratina-O can deal with most Ground and Fighting-types, and should be a recommended team member for those who chose Tyranitar as a sand setter
  • VoltTurn
  • MegaGar

Other Options
########

• X-Scissor
  • Lum Berry
  • Choice Band
  • AssVest

Checks and Counters
########
  • Gliscor / Lando-T
  • Groudon
  • Bulky Ghost-types (Giratina, Gira-O, Ghostceus)
  • Waterceus + Grassceus
  • Skarmory
  • Bronzong (Grouped away from Skarm cuz Mold Breaker)
  • Kyogre
  • Rayquaza (don't give a shit bout Sand Rush, OHKOs with V-create)
  • Revenge Killers

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Uh hold on there tiger we got some problems with that Sand Rush set:

Sand Rush
########
move 2: Iron Head / Rock Slide
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Rapid Spin / Rock Slide

Excadrill can't learn Stone Edge and Shadow Claw sucks. :p

Uh hold on there tiger we got some problems with that Sand Rush set:

Sand Rush
########
move 2: Iron Head / Rock Slide
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Rapid Spin / Rock Slide

Excadrill can't learn Stone Edge and Shadow Claw sucks. :p
Oopsies. I will change this immediately.

forgive me if my format is a bit wonky, but im writing down whatever i think is off.

• Gliscor should be top of checks and counters list- exca cannot break it and will cry inside trying to do something vs opponent.
  • change to "one of the best spinner" because cloyster gives it competition
  • emphasize ttar+exca dual ground weakness, since that is actually pretty difficult to patch up in a team without using more grounds (oy vey)
  • not a fan of sub/sd on bulky spin... what are you gonna achieve with sub? lol. sd is just begging to be burned. put sr on this IMO, the role compression is at premium for this gen, and spin+sr is really cool.
  • slash toxic on sr slot, not kidding. fucking over ghostceus is cute
  • more emphasis on ground weakness because it really sucks in this ground infested meta
  • IMO only reason to use excadrill in this meta is to spin, so make spin primary on sand rush set
  • remove mention of tickle wobb... gira-o just switches out nice n ez on wobb- shadow tag mechanics
  • emphasize how much an incoming ogre makes excadrill sad. mention palkia
ill find more later

forgive me if my format is a bit wonky, but im writing down whatever i think is off.

• Gliscor should be top of checks and counters list- exca cannot break it and will cry inside trying to do something vs opponent.
  • change to "one of the best spinner" because cloyster gives it competition
  • emphasize ttar+exca dual ground weakness, since that is actually pretty difficult to patch up in a team without using more grounds (oy vey)
  • not a fan of sub/sd on bulky spin... what are you gonna achieve with sub? lol. sd is just begging to be burned. put sr on this IMO, the role compression is at premium for this gen, and spin+sr is really cool.
  • slash toxic on sr slot, not kidding. fucking over ghostceus is cute
  • more emphasis on ground weakness because it really sucks in this ground infested meta
  • IMO only reason to use excadrill in this meta is to spin, so make spin primary on sand rush set
  • remove mention of tickle wobb... gira-o just switches out nice n ez on wobb- shadow tag mechanics
  • emphasize how much an incoming ogre makes excadrill sad. mention palkia
ill find more later
Did all these changes, and I apologize for the amount of holes (lolgetitcuzdrills) in the analysis atm, but I'll try to patch them up as best I can.

Sand Rush
########
move 2: Iron Head

This is open to QC, but I strongly feel this is how sand rush exca's moveset should be. It needs EQ as its most reliable STAB, Iron Head for fairies, and Rock slide for Ho-oh. Rapid spin is very useful for emergency hazard clearance. Swords dance is mostly lux and exca rarely finds the chance to set it up and proceed to sweep; it deserves only a moves mention IMO, although even then, exca will loathe giving up Rock slide.

Should probably emphasize how much the Tyranitar and Excadrill combination troll Yveltal to hell and back, whenever I use Yveltal against this combo its impossible to deal with and makes me have suicidal tendencies for not running Focus Blast. (okay not really but it is annoying) Also mention what advantages there are for running Mold Breaker over Sand Rush on that 1st set, right now i can't think if there are any off the top of my head.

Edit: Scratch the last part, I can't read. (is that worth running Mold Breaker for though?)

Sand Rush
########
move 2: Iron Head

This is open to QC, but I strongly feel this is how sand rush exca's moveset should be. It needs EQ as its most reliable STAB, Iron Head for fairies, and Rock slide for Ho-oh. Rapid spin is very useful for emergency hazard clearance. Swords dance is mostly lux and exca rarely finds the chance to set it up and proceed to sweep; it deserves only a moves mention IMO, although even then, exca will loathe giving up Rock slide.
Changed the set to the above

Should probably emphasize how much the Tyranitar and Excadrill combination troll Yveltal to hell and back, whenever I use Yveltal against this combo its impossible to deal with and makes me have suicidal tendencies for not running Focus Blast. (okay not really but it is annoying) Also mention what advantages there are for running Mold Breaker over Sand Rush on that 1st set, right now i can't think if there are any off the top of my head.

Edit: Scratch the last part, I can't read. (is that worth running Mold Breaker for though?)
Added Ygod getting counter-shenanigans from TDrill, and Mold Breaker is the most useful ability to run outside of sand, as it deals with Giratina-O and Bronzong better. The other two abilities that Exca has require sand support, otherwise it will be very situational.

Also, I should be able to get this QC ready in a couple hours, Disneyland and phone typing make it super difficult.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
"Mold Breaker is for being able to at worst damage Giratina-O and Bronzong"

It's a tiny tiny thing, but Mold Breaker ensures that you'll always always get SR on the other side of the field, as it allows Stealth Rock to get through Magic Bounce (as bad as all of the bouncers are this gen). Maybe worth a mention? :)

Ok, I'm back now, and I literally have no idea why I like Tomorrowland so much. I really don't.

Anyway, I added LustrousPalkia's extremely helpful info., as Magic Bouncers are rare yet very troublesome (a.k.a. fuck Orch's Xatu).

name: Assault Vest
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 4: Iron Head
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Assault Vest
evs: 176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe

Reactions: jrp

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
This is

Bulky
too easy

Sand Rush
Support Malefic's changes. A Swords Dance boost is rarely cool without the sand boost, and with so many overlapping weaknesses switching Tyranitar -> Excadrill is really hard (except if Tyranitar is being sacked) meaning you often only get a few turns of sand with Exca on the field (and even then you have to find a set up opportunity). It's a good option but probably doesn't deserve a main slash. I'm not sure about the Mixquaza, Mixkrom etc, especially Zekrom compounds a ridiculous Ground weakness. Palkia/Grassceus are pretty much a must, and if you pick Ttar you have to cover the compounded Ground/Fighting weaknesses properly too.

OO
Scarf is too awful even for OO. Feel free to mention AV here though (the bulky set definitely wants SR or Toxic 90% of the time and Excadrill isn't too suited for a special tank anyway, but AV can go here).

C&C
Lando-T/Gliscor > Groudon (switches in well, threatens and ruins sand) > fat Ghosts (spinblock and carry WoW, mention Ghostceus alongside Tinas) > support Arceus (Grass/Water, both can burn, Grass resists the main STAB and Water can threaten with Judgment) > Skarmer (walls pretty well but can't hurt Exca at all or prevent spin and it's not the best mon) > Bronzong (great vs Sand Rush, awful vs bulky) > Ogre (none of the sets can switch in, even the bulky set 2HKOs offensive Ogre and LO Sand Rush outspeeds and 2HKOs SDef Ogre; Ogre can RK nicely and ruin sand momentum but switching in is very risky) > Ray (mostly the same as Ogre except it doesn't actually switch the weather and it fears Iron Head instead of EQ) > revenge killers (stuff like Palker, Blaze, any Mewtwo, Gengar, etc here, most of these can't switch in well or at all)

If you're wondering about Gengar, it can't switch in at all (bulky has Mold Breaker EQ, LO Sand Rush has a small chance to OHKO with Iron Head without SR or a high chance with SR, and there's a chance Gengar sustained sand damage somewhere, guaranteeing the OHKO), can't touch Sand Rush in sand, and can't OHKO bulky with Focus Blast, so all in all it didn't deserve a spot outside of revenge killing.

QC: 1/3

Overview
This is

Bulky
too easy

Sand Rush
Support Malefic's changes. A Swords Dance boost is rarely cool without the sand boost, and with so many overlapping weaknesses switching Tyranitar -> Excadrill is really hard (except if Tyranitar is being sacked) meaning you often only get a few turns of sand with Exca on the field (and even then you have to find a set up opportunity). It's a good option but probably doesn't deserve a main slash. I'm not sure about the Mixquaza, Mixkrom etc, especially Zekrom compounds a ridiculous Ground weakness. Palkia/Grassceus are pretty much a must, and if you pick Ttar you have to cover the compounded Ground/Fighting weaknesses properly too.

OO
Scarf is too awful even for OO. Feel free to mention AV here though (the bulky set definitely wants SR or Toxic 90% of the time and Excadrill isn't too suited for a special tank anyway, but AV can go here).

C&C
Lando-T/Gliscor > Groudon (switches in well, threatens and ruins sand) > fat Ghosts (spinblock and carry WoW, mention Ghostceus alongside Tinas) > support Arceus (Grass/Water, both can burn, Grass resists the main STAB and Water can threaten with Judgment) > Skarmer (walls pretty well but can't hurt Exca at all or prevent spin and it's not the best mon) > Bronzong (great vs Sand Rush, awful vs bulky) > Ogre (none of the sets can switch in, even the bulky set 2HKOs offensive Ogre and LO Sand Rush outspeeds and 2HKOs SDef Ogre; Ogre can RK nicely and ruin sand momentum but switching in is very risky) > Ray (mostly the same as Ogre except it doesn't actually switch the weather and it fears Iron Head instead of EQ) > revenge killers (stuff like Palker, Blaze, any Mewtwo, Gengar, etc here, most of these can't switch in well or at all)

If you're wondering about Gengar, it can't switch in at all (bulky has Mold Breaker EQ, LO Sand Rush has a small chance to OHKO with Iron Head without SR or a high chance with SR, and there's a chance Gengar sustained sand damage somewhere, guaranteeing the OHKO), can't touch Sand Rush in sand, and can't OHKO bulky with Focus Blast, so all in all it didn't deserve a spot outside of revenge killing.

QC: 1/3
Did that, and I do believe I moved SD to a Moves section mention already, but I emphazised that it is very hard to set up.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Did that, and I do believe I moved SD to a Moves section mention already, but I emphazised that it is very hard to set up.
Oh yeah it was fine the way it was, I was just putting an official QC stamp and such on the stuff he said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)