Excadrill (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Excadrill

[Overview]

<p>Excadrill is the king of the sand in Doubles, thanks to its amazing abilities, its good typing, its ability to fire off powerful STAB Earthquakes, and its huge Attack stat. Not only does Excadrill become one of the fastest Pokemon in the game in sand, but also it can abuse to very powerful spread moves, Earthquake and Rock Slide. Excadrill is also immune to both Thunder Wave and Toxic, so you can't slow this monster down the easy way.</p>

[Set]

Name: Offensive Drill
Move 1: Earthquake
Move 2: Rock Slide
Move 3: Iron Head / Substitute / X-Scissor
Move 4: Protect
Item : Life Orb / Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

[Set Comments]

<p>Excadrill is an extremely one-dimensional Pokemon. It attacks, it hits hard, and you try not to get hit hard. It's a Pokemon that can be used at any stage in the game to do major damage, and it can punch major holes at the start of the battle or clean up at the end. The two main moves on the set are Earthquake and Rock Slide, both of which are spread moves. Earthquake is used as a powerful STAB move, and Rock Slide is used to hurt Flying-types and Levitators such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. The 3rd slot can have a variety of moves. Iron Head can be used as a single target STAB, Substitute can be used on free turns with team support, while X-Scissor can be used as another single target attack to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon and Cresselia harder then Rock Slide can. </p>

<p>Life Orb is the set's main item because it further boosts Excadrill's amazing attack stat. A Chople Berry can also be used in order to survive Mach Punch from a Breloom that isn't holding a Fighting Gem. Adamant is the preferred nature in order to maximize Excadrill's damage output. The EVs on this set are very basic because Excadrill isn't trying to accomplish anything fancy. An EV spread of 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe with an Adamant nature can also be used. This spread allows Excadrill to outrun Scarf Latios, but it loses to other Excadrill running max speed.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Becasue Excadrill is a Pokemon that abuses the fact it has a powerful Ground-type STAB, it's only fitting that its teammates should try to avoid being caught in the crossfire. Some of the better teammates Excadrill can ask for are fast special attackers such as Latios and Tornadus-I. Latios can seriously hurt Fighting-types that threaten Excadrill directly, while the threat of Defiant from Tornadus-I prevents Intimidate users from freely switching in. Other good teammates include Rotom-W, who has good STABs and bulk, Cresselia, because of Helping Hand and her Psychic typing, Pokemon that help deal with rain, such as Latias and Thundurus-I, and Tyranitar for its ability to summon the sandstorm that makes Excadrill so dangerous in the first place.</p>

<p> Excadrill can attempt to use a variety of items. Leftovers could be used to Substitute stall sandstorm and Life Orb damage, while a Gem could be used to deal large amounts of damage in a single turn. Focus Sash could be used to survive an otherwise-fatal hit and a Lum Berry could be used alongside a teammate such as Cresselia that has access to Swagger to further increase Excadrill's Attack.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> A couple of interesting options Excadrill has involve giving it an immunity to Earthquake. Both an Air Balloon and Magnet Rise make Excadrill immune to Ground-type attacks, which can be useful in certain situations. Swords Dance is another move you could run, but it's not as easy to pull off in Doubles as it was in OU. Drill Run hits a single target harder then Earthquake would, as Earthquake only deals 75% of its normal damage due to being a spread move. Finally, Excadrill can run a Choiced Mold Breaker set, which would allow it to seriously hurt some of its counters, but it would be difficult to fit it into a team and might even be harmful in some situations.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Pokemon who have good bulk and an immunity to Earthquake often find themselves countering Excadrill. Such Pokemon include Hitmontop, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Scrafty, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Gyarados, as they can all either Intimidate Excadrill or take middling damage from its moves. Wide Guard is a move that Excadrill isn't too fond of, and Pokemon like Hitmontop, Mienshao, and Swampert can take advantage of it to prevent Excadrill from even doing any damage. Pokemon who can kill Excadrill before it can hurt anything are useful against it as well; Conkeldurr and Breloom come to mind with STAB Mach Punch. Lastly, the most obvious counter is rain, which makes Politoed extremely threatening to Excadrill because of its weather changing ability, which can render Excadrill useless.</p>

[Overview]

• and Please
  • Very powerful, Very fast
  • 2 very good abilities
  • Great spread move in earthquake
  • Not as good outside of sand
  • Good Typing, Immune to twave

[Set]

Move 4: Protect b

[Set Comments]

• Earthquake is the main move on this set, powerful spread move
  • Rock Slide is used to hit flyers, Togekiss and Thundurus for example
  • Iron head is a powerful, Stab, single target move
  • Protect
  • Chople allows you to live a Mach Punch from Breloom
  • Sand Rush, gotta go fast
  • Basic evs nothing to complicated
  • 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 SpD Can also be used, Will allow you to outrun scarf 108s (Terrak), but you risk getting hammered by other Drills

[Additonal Comments]

• Ground Gem
  • Focus Sash
  • Swagger + Berry
  • Needs Tyranitar
  • Not a fan of rain
  • Pokemon to help with Cresselia
  • Levitate Pokemon of all kind make for good teammates Cresselia/Rotom-w/Latios

[Other Options]

• Choice Scarf/Choice Band Mold Breaker Excadrill kills some of it's own counters, Extremely hard to build for, use at own risk
  • Air Balloon
  • Magnet Rise
  • Swords Dance
  • Drill Run hits a single target harder

[Checks and Counters]

• Hitmontop- Intimidate + Wide Guard
  • Landorus-T + I
  • Politoed + Friends
  • Sableye / Dusclops
  • Rotom-w
  • Scrafty,
  • Conkeldurr,
  • Landorus,
  • Cresselia,
  • Gyarados

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Drill Run isn't really viable, I'd remove it. In addition, Choice Scarf Mold Breaker is extremely risky and hard to build for, so much so that I doubt it deserves a OO mention. Finally, 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 SpD Adamant (I noticed you didnt mention a nature but I'm assuming adamant) is the optimal EV spread as you cannot outspeed anything relevant after 196 speed EVs in the sand, and the 60 HP can really help Excadrill stay around for a bit longer.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In overview, this: Great spread move in earthquake needs to mention Rock Slide too: Two great spread moves.
Don't remove drill run, but as nyttyn mentioned it needs to say adamant and that EV spread is better: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe (speed, not SpDef).
Also add that excellent teammates are Helping Hand Cresselia, Landorus and Landorus-T for EQ + Rock Slide spam and Latios/Latias as powerhouses dealing damage.

QC Approved 1/3

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I also support nyttyn's spread, and explain the Speed benchmark - outrunning Scarf Terrakion and everything slower. AC mention that you can go max / max Speed for opposing Excadrill.

You are missing a row for Nature - make it Adamant as nyttyn said

Substitute deserves an AC mention; Excadrill has many opportunities to set up a Sub, thereby protecting it from Fake Outs, Mach Punches, Icy Winds, or from assaults from faster mons if Sand isn't up.

As for teammates, fast levitating mons like Latios and Tornadus worked best for me, since they are 1) immune to EQ and 2) eliminates Excadrill's checks before they can harm Excadrill. Tornadus and Latios also complements well offensively with Excadrill (think Flying + Ground / Dragon + Ground offense). Defiant Tornadus gives a finger to Landorus-T and Hitmontop's Intimidate ability, and discourages them from switching into Excadrill. Latios has an added advantage of checking Rain, Rotom-W, and Landorus(-T).

Rotom-W is a bit slower, but is another good partner for its EQ immunity and its ability to check Rain, opposing Rotom-W, and Landorus(-T). Like Joim suggested, Cresselia is another great teammate for checking Hitmontop and Landorus(-T), while being immune to EQ.

X-Scissor deserves an OO mention, imo, hitting Latios, Hydreigon, Latias, and Cresselia for super-effective damage. However, warn that it gets cock-blocked by Wide Guard Hitmontop if it loses Iron Head for X-Scissor.

Possibly slash CB Moldbreaker with your Scarf Moldbreaker mention? I remember lucariojr raving about it in a Doubles, thread.

As for Checks and Counters, I suppose you can lump Scrafty and Conkeldurr in the same category as Hitmontop. Add Breloom, too, since not all Excadrills are running Chople.

I think Landorus has pretty good natural bulk to also check Excadrill, so add him, too.

Cresselia can't really do much to Excadrill without HP Fire, but it has the bulk to switch into its spread moves with ease and mess Excadrill's speed advantage with Icy Wind, Trick Room, Sunny Day, or Skill Swap.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you forgot to add Defiant Tornadus as one of Excadrill's partners (discourages Intimidate spam; beats Hitmontop)

also plz add Scrafty, Conkeldurr, Landorus, Cresselia, and actually Gyarados into Checks and Counters.

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Pretty nice, I personally think Mold Breaker (not Scarf, just a Mold Breaker set w/ Protect) is worth more than a OO mention, but I'll drop that since others definitely disagree. I also find Togekiss to be a great Mold Breaker Excadrill partner, they go pretty well together. Anyways, this is a pretty great write-up, so:

QC APPROVED (3/3)

-EDIT-
In hopes of defending Mold Breaker Excadrill's pride, but being too lazy to write about it, I present: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/seven-star-swordmasters-top-4-us-nationals-report/

Pocket

For the Overview I'd expand on its "good typing." For instance, Ground provides it a powerful spread move in STAB EQ, while offering it immunity to Electricity. Combined that with its Steel-types, it has almost nothing to fear against the traditional Thundurus, as well as giving it resistances to some powerful priority like Sucker Punch and Bullet Punch.

For the Set Comments Intro, I would expand on the playstyle of Excadrill. How do one use Excadrill? Does it come in early-game, mid-game, or late-game? You can emphasize how Excadrill is a fearsome Sand Sweeper thanks to its unmatched Speed (that cannot be lowered by Thunder Wave) combined with a powerful spread move.

Last edited:

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
first amcheck in this subforum:>

[Overview]

<p>Excadrill is the king of the sand in Doubles, thanks to its amazing abilities, good typing, its ability to fire off powerful STAB Earthquakes, and a huge Attack stat. Not only does Excadrill become one of the fastest Pokemon in the game in sand, andbut it also has two very powerful spread moves that it can abuse in Earthquake and Rock Slide. Excadrill is also immune to two different status moves in Thunder Wave and Toxic, so you can't slow this monster down the easy way.</p>

[Set]

[Set Comments]

<p> Excadrill is a extremely one-dimensional Pokemon. You attack, you hit hard, and you try not to get hit hard. It's a Pokemon who can be used at any stage in the game to do major damage, and it can clean up at the end or punch major holes at the start of a battle. The two main moves on the set are Earthquake and Rock Slide, both of which are spread moves. Earthquake is used foras a powerful STAB move, while Rock Slide is used to hurt Flying types and Levitators such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. The 3rd slot can have a variety of moves. Iron Head can be used as a single target STAB, while Substitute can be used on free turns with team support, while X-Scissor can be used as another single target attack to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon and Cresselia harder then Rock Slide could. </p>

<p> Life Orb is the main item on the set, allowing Excadrill to further boost the amazing Attack stat that it has. A Chople Berry can also be used in order to live a non Fighting Gem Breloom's Mach Punch. Adamant is the preferred nature in order to maximize Excadrill's damage output. The EVs on this set are very basic because Excadrill isn't trying to accomplish much. An EV spread of 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Speed with an Adamant nature can also be used; this spread allows Excadrill to outrun Scarf Latios. However, using this spread means that Excadrill no longer speed ties withit loses to other Excadrill that run max Sspeed Excadrill. .</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p> Being a Pokemon that abuses the fact it has a powerful Ground STAB, it's only fitting that its teammates should be some that can avoid getting hit by Excadrill. Some of the better teammates Excadrill can ask for are fast special attackers such as Latios and Tornadus-I. Latios can seriously hurt Fighting types that threaten Excadrill directly, while Tornadus-I makes it so Intimidate users are scared to switch in with the threat of Defiant. Some other good Pokemon to have around Excadrill include Rotom-W, who has good stabs and bulk, Cresselia thanks to Helping Hand and a Psychic typing, Pokemon that help deal with rain, such as Latias and Thundurus-I, and the most obvious choice is Tyranitar because the sandstorm support it provides is the reason Excadrill is so dangerous in the first place. </p>

<p> Excadrill can attempt to use a variety of items. Leftovers could be used to Substitute stall sandstorm and Life Orb damage, while a Gem could be used to deal large amounts of damage in a single turn. Focus Sash could be used to live a single hit from 100% health, and a Swagger-using teammate like Cresselia could be used paired with a Lum Berry to boost attack like Swords Dance would. </p>

[Other Options]

<p> A couple of interesting options Excadrill has involve being immune to Earthquake. One involves using Air Balloon, while the other is Magnet Rise, and both give Excadrill a temporary immunity to Earthquake, which can be helpful in certain situations. Swords Dance is another move you could run, but it's not as easy to pull off in doubles as it was in OU when Excadrill dominated the tier. Drill Run hits a single target harder then Earthquake would, as Earthquake only deals 75% of its normal damage due to being a spread move. Finally the last thing Excadrill can do, is run a Choiced Mold Breaker set. In theory, this sounds amazing and allows Excadrill to seriously hurt some Pokemon that counter it like Rotom-W, but in practice, it is not easy to build a team around, and you will often end up hurting yourself, so use Mold Breaker Excadrill with caution. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Pokemon that have good bulk and an immunity to Earthquake often find themselves countering Excadrill. Such Pokemon include Hitmontop, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Scrafty, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Gyarados, as they can all either Intimidate Excadrill or just not be hit hard by its moves. Wide Guard is a move that Excadrill isn't too fond of, and Pokemon like Hitmontop, Mienshao, and Swampert can carry this and stop Excadrill from even doing damage. Pokemon who can kill Excadrill before it can deal out damage are problematic as well, and Conkeldurr and Breloom come to mind here with their STAB Mach Punch. Lastly, the most obvious counter is rain, as Politoed and friends are extremely threatening to Excadrill due to the former's weather changing ability, and losing the weather war can render an Excadrill useless.

[Overview]

<p>Excadrill is the king of the sand in Doubles, thanks to its amazing abilities, good typing, its ability to fire off powerful STAB Earthquakes, and a huge Attack stat. Not only does Excadrill become one of the fastest Pokemon in the game in sand, but it also has two very powerful spread moves that it can abuse in Earthquake and Rock Slide. Excadrill is also immune to two different status moves in Thunder Wave and Toxic, so you can't slow this monster down the easy way.</p>

[Set]

[Set Comments]

<p> Excadrill is a extremely one-dimensional Pokemon. You attack, you hit hard, and you try not to get hit hard. It's a Pokemon who can be used at any stage in the game to do major damage, and it can clean up at the end or punch major holes at the start of a battle. The two main moves on the set are Earthquake and Rock Slide, both of which are spread moves. Earthquake is used as a powerful STAB move, while Rock Slide is used to hurt Flying types and Levitators such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. The 3rd slot can have a variety of moves. Iron Head can be used as a single target STAB, while Substitute can be used on free turns with team support, while X-Scissor can be used as another single target attack to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon and Cresselia harder then Rock Slide could. </p>

<p> Life Orb is the main item on the set, allowing Excadrill to further boost the amazing Attack stat that it has. A Chople Berry can also be used in order to live a non Fighting Gem Breloom's Mach Punch. Adamant is the preferred nature in order to maximize Excadrill's damage output. The EVs on this set are very basic because Excadrill isn't trying to accomplish much. An EV spread of 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Speed with an Adamant nature can also be used; this spread allows Excadrill to outrun Scarf Latios. However, using this spread means that it loses to other Excadrill that run max speed.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p> Being a Pokemon that abuses the fact it has a powerful Ground STAB, it's only fitting that its teammates should be some that can avoid getting hit by Excadrill. Some of the better teammates Excadrill can ask for are fast special attackers such as Latios and Tornadus-I. Latios can seriously hurt Fighting types that threaten Excadrill directly, while Tornadus-I makes it so Intimidate users are scared to switch in with the threat of Defiant. Some other good Pokemon to have around Excadrill include Rotom-W, who has good stabs and bulk, Cresselia thanks to Helping Hand and a Psychic typing, Pokemon that help deal with rain, such as Latias and Thundurus-I, and the most obvious choice is Tyranitar because the sandstorm support it provides is the reason Excadrill is so dangerous in the first place. </p>

<p> Excadrill can attempt to use a variety of items. Leftovers could be used to Substitute stall sandstorm and Life Orb damage, while a Gem could be used to deal large amounts of damage in a single turn. Focus Sash could be used to live a single hit from 100% health, and a Swagger-using teammate like Cresselia could be used paired with a Lum Berry to boost attack like Swords Dance would. </p>

[Other Options]

<p> A couple of interesting options Excadrill has involve being immune to Earthquake. One involves using Air Balloon, while the other is Magnet Rise, and both give Excadrill a temporary immunity to Earthquake, which can be helpful in certain situations. Swords Dance is another move you could run, but it's not as easy to pull off in doubles as it was in OU when Excadrill dominated the tier. Drill Run hits a single target harder then Earthquake would, as Earthquake only deals 75% of its normal damage due to being a spread move. Finally the last thing Excadrill can do, is run a Choiced Mold Breaker set. In theory, this sounds amazing and allows Excadrill to seriously hurt some Pokemon that counter it like Rotom-W, but in practice, it is not easy to build a team around, and you will often end up hurting yourself, so use Mold Breaker Excadrill with caution. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Pokemon that have good bulk and an immunity to Earthquake often find themselves countering Excadrill. Such Pokemon include Hitmontop, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Scrafty, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Gyarados, as they can all either Intimidate Excadrill or just not be hit hard by its moves. Wide Guard is a move that Excadrill isn't too fond of, and Pokemon like Hitmontop, Mienshao, and Swampert can carry this and stop Excadrill from even doing damage. Pokemon who can kill Excadrill before it can deal out damage are problematic as well, and Conkeldurr and Breloom come to mind here with their STAB Mach Punch. Lastly, the most obvious counter is rain, as Politoed and friends are extremely threatening to Excadrill due to the former's weather changing ability, and losing the weather war can render an Excadrill useless.

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

Additions and Changes

Deletions
[Comments]

[Overview]

<p>Excadrill is the king of the sand in Doubles, thanks to its amazing abilities, its good typing, its ability to fire off powerful STAB Earthquakes, and a its huge Attack stat. Not only does Excadrill become one of the fastest Pokemon in the game in sand, but it can also abuse two very powerful spread moves, Earthquake and Rock Slide. has two very powerful spread moves that it can abuse in Earthquake and Rock Slide. Excadrill is also immune to both two different status moves in Thunder Wave and Toxic, so you can't slow this monster down the easy way.</p>

[Set]

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>[removed space]Excadrill is a extremely one-dimensional Pokemon. You attack, you hit hard, and you try not to get hit hard back. It's a Pokemon that who can be used at any stage in the game to do major damage, and it can punch major holes at the start of a battle or clean up at the end or punch major holes at the start of a battle. The two main moves on the set are Earthquake and Rock Slide, both of which are spread moves. Earthquake is used as a powerful STAB move, while Rock Slide is used to hurt Flying-types and Levitators such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. The 3rd slot can have a variety of moves. Iron Head can be used as a single target STAB, while Substitute can be used on free turns with team support, and while X-Scissor can be used as another single target attack to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon and Cresselia harder then Rock Slide can could. </p>

<p> Life Orb is this set's main item because it allows the main item on the set, allowing Excadrill to further boost its the amazing Attack stat that it has. A Chople Berry can also be used in order to survive live a non Fighting Gem Breloom's Mach Punch from a Breloom that isn't holding a Fighting Gem. Adamant is the preferred nature in order to maximize Excadrill's damage output. The EVs on this set are very basic because Excadrill isn't trying to accomplish anything fancy much. An EV spread of 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe with an Adamant nature can also be used. [; to .] This spread allows Excadrill to outrun Scarf Latios, [. to ,] However, using this spread means that but it loses to other Excadrill that run max speed.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p> Being Because Excadrill is a Pokemon that abuses the fact it has a powerful Ground-type STAB, it's only fitting that its teammates should try to avoid being caught in the crossfire be some that can avoid getting hit by Excadrill. Some of the better teammates Excadrill can ask for are fast special attackers such as Latios and Tornadus-I. Latios can seriously hurt Fighting-types that threaten Excadrill directly, while the thread of Defiant from Tornadus-I prevents Intimidate users from freely switching in makes it so Intimidate users are scared to switch in with the threat of Defiant. Other good teammates Some other good Pokemon to have around Excadrill include Rotom-W, who has good stabs and bulk, Cresselia, because of thanks to Helping Hand and a her Psychic typing, Pokemon that help deal with rain, such as Latias and Thundurus-I, and Tyranitar for its ability to summon the sandstorm that makes Excadrill so dangerous in the first place the most obvious choice is Tyranitar because the sandstorm support it provides is the reason Excadrill is so dangerous in the first place. </p>

<p> Excadrill can attempt to use a variety of items. Leftovers could be used to Substitute stall sandstorm and Life Orb damage, while a Gem could be used to deal large amounts of damage in a single turn. Focus Sash could be used to survive an otherwise-fatal hit live a single hit from 100% health, and a Lum Berry could be used alongside a teammate such as Cresselia that has access to Swagger to further increase Excadrill's Attack. Swagger-using teammate like Cresselia could be used paired with a Lum Berry to boost attack like Swords Dance would. </p>

[Other Options]

<p> A couple of interesting options Excadrill has involve giving it an immunity being immune to Earthquake. Both an Air Balloon and Magnet Rise make Excadrill immune to Ground-type attacks, which can be useful in certain situations. One involves using Air Balloon, while the other is Magnet Rise, and both give Excadrill a temporary immunity to Earthquake, which can be helpful in certain situations. Swords Dance is another move you could run, but it's not as easy to pull off in Doubles as it was in OU when Excadrill dominated the tier. Drill Run hits a single target harder then Earthquake would, as Earthquake only deals 75% of its normal damage due to being a spread move. Finally, Excadrill can run a Choiced Mold Breaker set, which would allow it to seriously hurt some of its counters, but it would be difficult to fit it into a team and might even be harmful in some situations. the last thing Excadrill can do, is run a Choiced Mold Breaker set. In theory, this sounds amazing and allows Excadrill to seriously hurt some Pokemon that counter it like Rotom-W, but in practice, it is not easy to build a team around, and you will often end up hurting yourself, so use Mold Breaker Excadrill with caution. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Pokemon that have good bulk and an immunity to Earthquake often find themselves countering Excadrill. Such Pokemon include Hitmontop, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Scrafty, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Gyarados, as they can all either Intimidate Excadrill or take middling damage from just not be hit hard by its moves. Wide Guard is a move that Excadrill isn't too fond of, and Pokemon like Hitmontop, Mienshao, and Swampert can take advantage of it to prevent carry this and stop Excadrill from even doing any damage. Pokemon who can kill Excadrill before it can hurt anything are useful against it deal out damage are problematic as well; [changed , to ;] and Conkeldurr and Breloom come to mind here with their STAB Mach Punch. Lastly, the most obvious counter is rain, which makes as Politoed and friends are extremely threatening to Excadrill because of its due to the former's weather changing ability, and losing the weather war which can render an Excadrill useless.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@The Exeggutor, just for future reference, be sure to post when you implement a GP check so everything is clearer. Technically changing the tag is enough, but it is harder to notice.

Done

[Overview]

<p>Excadrill is the king of the sand in Doubles,[space]thanks to its amazing abilities, its good typing, its ability to fire off powerful STAB Earthquakes, and a its huge Attack stat. Not only does Excadrill become one of the fastest Pokemon in the game in sand, but also it can also abuse to very powerful spread moves, Earthquake and Rock Slide. Excadrill is also immune to both Thunder Wave and Toxic, so you can't slow this monster down the easy way.</p>

[Set]

[Set Comments]

<p>Excadrill is an[add n] extremely one-dimensional Pokemon. It attacks, it hits hard, and it tries not to get hit hard. You attack, you hit hard, and you try not to get hit hard. It's a Pokemon that can be used at any stage in the game to do major damage, and it can punch major holes at the start of the battle or clean up at the end. The two main moves on the set are Earthquake and Rock Slide, both of which are spread moves. Earthquake is used as a powerful STAB move, while and Rock Slide is used to hurt Flying-types and Levitators such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. The 3rd slot can have a variety of moves. Iron Head can be used as a single target STAB, Substitute can be used on free turns with team support, while X-Scissor can be used as another single target attack to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon and Cresselia harder then Rock Slide can. </p>

<p>Life Orb is the set's main item because it allows to further boosts[add s] Excadrill's its amazing attack stat. A Chople Berry can also be used in order to survive Mach Punch from a Breloom that isn't holding a Fighting Gem. Adamant is the preferred nature in order to maximize Excadrill's damage output. The EVs on this set are very basic because Excadrill isn't trying to accomplish anything fancy. An EV spread of 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe with an Adamant nature can also be used. This spread allows Excadrill to outrun Scarf Latios, but it loses to other Excadrill running max speed.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Becasue Excadrill is a Pokemon that abuses the fact it has a powerful Ground-type STAB, it's only fitting that its teammates should try to avoid being caught in the crossfire. Some of the better teammates Excadrill can ask for are fast special attackers such as Latios and Tornadus-I. Latios can seriously hurt Fighting-types that threaten Excadrill directly, while the threat of Defiant from Tornadus-I prevents[add s] Intimidate users from freely switching in. Other good teammates i[add i]nclude Rotom-W, who has good stabs STABs and bulk, Cresselia, because of Helping Hand and her Psychic typing, Pokemon that help deal with rain, such as Latias and Thundurus-I, and Tyranitar for its ability to summon the sandstorm that makes Excadrill so dangerous in the first place.</p>

<p>[remove space]Excadrill can attempt to use a variety of items. Leftovers could be used to Substitute stall sandstorm and Life Orb damage, while a Gem could be used to deal large amounts of damage in a single turn. Focus Sash could be used to survive an otherwise-fatal hit[add space]and a Lum Berry could be used alongside a teammate such as Cresselia that has access to Swagger to further increase Excadrill's Attack.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> A couple of interesting options Excadrill has involve giving it an immunity to Earthquake. Both an Air Balloon and Magnet Rise make Excadrill immune to Ground-type attacks, which can be useful in certain situations. Swords Dance is another move you could run, but it's not as easy to pull off in Doubles as it was in OU. Drill Run hits a single target harder then Earthquake would, as Earthquake only deals 75% of its normal damage due to being a spread move. Finally, Excadrill can run a Choiced Mold Breaker set, which would allow it to seriously hurt some of its counters, but it would be difficult to fit it into a team and might even be harmful in some situations.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Pokemon that who have good bulk and an immunity to Earthquake often find themselves countering Excadrill. Such Pokemon include Hitmontop, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Scrafty, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Gyarados, as they can all either Intimidate Excadrill or take middling damage from its moves. Wide Guard is a move that Excadrill isn't too fond of, and Pokemon like Hitmontop, Mienshao, and Swampert can take advantage of it to prevent Excadrill from even doing any damage. Pokemon who can kill Excadrill before it can hurt anything are useful against it as well; Conkeldurr and Breloom come to mind with STAB Mach Punch. Lastly, the most obvious counter is rain, which makes Politoed extremely threatening to Excadrill because of its weather changing ability, which can render Excadrill useless.</p>

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)