OU Excadrill

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: aim, Valentine, alexwolf
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack,

Overview
########
Excadrill's access to Sand Rush allows him to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame when sand is up. This, along with his incredible base 135 Attack stat, makes him a threatening revenge killer and late-game cleaner. On top of all this, Excadrill gets the coveted Rapid Spin, which removes entry hazards on your side of the field while keeping yours up. This, when combined with a Ground / Steel typing that has a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock, makes Excadrill one of the best hazard removers available. However, while he sports a great HP stat, this is offset by his low 60 / 65 defenses, which severely limit the amount of hits he can take. They, when combined with a weakness to common priority moves in Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, mean that Excadrill needs to have his checks gone before attempting a sweep. Common weaknesses in Ground, Fire, Fighting, and Water limit his setup opportunities even more and make checking him outside of sand much easier. Finally, a base 88 Speed stat is pretty average by OU standards, meaning that Excadrill needs either sand support or a Choice Scarf to be truly effective. Moreover, Tyranitar, Excadrill's favorite teammate due to Sand Stream, shares weaknesses with him, such as Ground, Water, and Fighting.

Sand Rush Sweeper
########
name: Sand Rush Sweeper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Rapid Spin / Swords Dance
ability: Sand Rush
item: Air Balloon / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
Earthquake is Excadrill's primary STAB move, as it sports great power and coverage. STAB Iron Head allows Excadrill to hit Fairies such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon super effectively, while also being his best option against the likes of Landorus-T and Gliscor, common Excadrill checks, as well as other Pokemon immune to Earthquake. Rock Slide forms the EdgeQuake coverage with Earthquake, allowing Excadrill to hit Flying-types such as Talonflame and Mega Pinsir super effectively. The fourth moveslot should be based on what your team needs. If you need entry hazard control, Rapid Spin is the superior choice. However, if you already have a form of hazard control, Swords Dance is an option that can allow Excadrill to sweep teams late-game.

Set Details
========
The EVs are straightforward. Maximum Speed investment with an Adamant nature is used to speed tie opposing Excadrill at worst. If that isn't an issue, however, an alternate spread of 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe can be used to outspeed Choice Scarf base 110 Speed Pokemon. Regardless, Attack should be maximized to hit as hard as possible. Air Balloon allows Excadrill to switch into predicted Earthquakes, as well as have a safety net against opposing Excadrill. If that isn't needed, a Life Orb can be used to greatly increase Excadrill's power output. Additionally, a Jolly nature is an option to outspeed neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon outside of sand, as well as potentially outspeeding opposing Excadrill.

Usage Tips
========
This set should be used as a mid- or late-game sweeper after his checks and counters have been removed. Excadrill also performs very well as a revenge killer. To do this, though, sand should be up, as otherwise his Speed is lackluster. Bringing Excadrill in on defensive or Electric-type Pokemon such as Clefable, Chansey, non-Air Balloon Magnezone, and Raikou is generally a good idea, as they have no way of hitting Excadrill hard.

Team Options
========

Sand support is a must. Tyranitar makes a great partner due to his more offensive nature than Hippowdon, the other sand setter. Smooth Rock is a good option for Tyranitar to give Excadrill more turns of sand. Additionally, teammates who can take care of Rotom-W, such as Latias, Latios, and bulky Grass-types such as Celebi and Amoonguss, are good options. The latter two can handle Breloom and Azumarill reliably as well. Keldeo also makes a great teammate, as he is able to beat Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory reliably.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Rapid Spin
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Earthquake is Excadrill's most powerful move. Thanks to Mold Breaker, Earthquake is more spammable thanks to it bypassing Levitate, though Flying-types are still immune. This allows Excadrill to get past Latios, Latias, and Gengar without resorting to the much weaker Iron Head, which should really only be used against opposing Fairies and Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor. Rock Slide provides coverage against Flying-types, while Rapid Spin removes entry hazards. Be aware that Excadrill is basically forced to switch out after spinning, as being locked into a 20 Base Power Normal-type move loses a lot of momentum.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize Attack and Speed, while the remainder go into Defense to give an odd HP number. A Jolly nature in tandem with a Choice Scarf allows Excadrill to outspeed key threats such as Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Adamant Dragon Dance Charizard X, Greninja, Gengar, Latios, and Latias, with Mold Breaker allowing him to bypass Levitate and beat the latter three.

Usage Tips
========
Choice Scarf Excadrill can check a variety of dangerous Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Thundurus, as well as sweep, and remove entry hazards from your side of the field. Furthermore, he is one of the best offensive checks to Thundurus due to his immunity to Thunder Wave. Unfortunately, being Choice-locked into Earthquake or Rapid Spin is easily taken advantage of through the use of setup moves, so use with caution. Teammates who remedy this, such as Unaware Clefable and priority users such as Azumarill, are appreciated.

Team Options
========
Teammates who appreciate entry hazard removal, such as Talonflame and Dragonite, can capitalize on Excadrill's spinning capabilities. Users of Volt Switch and U-turn, such as Mega Scizor or Mega Manectric, allow Excadrill to get in safely. Teammates who are able to take care of Pokemon who can set up on Choice-locked Excadrill, such as Keldeo for Mega Gyarados, are appreciated, so as to not lose too much momentum. Additionally, bulky Grass-types to take on the likes of Azumarill and Breloom, such as Celebi, Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss, make good teammates.

Other Options
########
Excadrill does have a few options not mentioned above. An Assault Vest set with an EV spread of 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 SpD and an Adamant nature can be used as a bulky spinner. However, this set misses out on the power of the Sand Rush and Scarf sets, and Reflect Type Starmie outclasses Excadrill in this role. Additionally, Substitute can be used on the Sand Rush set to protect Excadrill from priority moves, as well as eat up hits that would otherwise KO Excadrill. If you're really scared of opposing sand teams, Sand Rush can be used on the Choice Scarf set to ensure that you outspeed opposing Excadrill. An Air Balloon set with Mold Breaker and Rapid Spin is an option. This set is usually inferior to the Sand Rush set, but unlike that set, it can get past Rotom-W. Also, a Mold Breaker + Swords Dance set holding Leftovers makes a decent stallbreaker, as Excadrill's immunities to both Toxic and Thunder Wave, as well as a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock, make him quite resilient against stall. Finally, a bulky Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin set with enough HP and Special Defense investment to take on Thundurus and Clefable makes for a decent Stealth Rock setter and Rapid Spinner all in one package.

- Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Pokemon such as Skarmory, Mandibuzz when Stealth Rock is not on the field, Chesnaught, physically defensive Hippowdon, Slowbro, and physically defensive Gliscor can wall Excadrill all day long, thanks to their ability to tank repeated hits and recover off damage. Additionally, Tangrowth, physically defensive Celebi, and physically defensive Mega Scizor are able to tank his hits as well. However, these three lose if they come in when Excadrill uses Swords Dance.

**Bulky Pivots**: Rotom-W and Landorus-T are able to force out Excadrill repeatedly and gain momentum through the use of Volt Switch and U-turn, respectively.

**Priority Users**: Pokemon such as Azumarill, Crawdaunt, Conkeldurr, and Breloom are able to hit Excadrill with strong super effective priority attacks. Bisharp also deals a large blow with Sucker Punch.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rapid spin should be the first slash on sand rush, I havent used or seen a SD drill in quite some time. The utility of spin is much better IMO.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Implemented the above changes (idk why I even mentioned X-Scissor...). I moved the mention of a Jolly Nature to OO, but I can remove it completely if needed.

Anything else of note that I need to change before I go for QC?

Edit: No reply so I guess its safe to go to QC

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Can probably mention that air balloon is a solid option if weak to opposing Sand teams.

I dont know how i feel about in the scarf drill set "getting excadrill in with slow u-turns/volt switches" this is implying landorus-t and rotom-w who really have no place on a team with scarf excadrill. Scarf excadrill is offenses way of checking bird spam usually accompanied by thundurus. It's not meant to be used on balance. So can probably mention that this set is used to revenge kill or combat brave birds and quick attacks from bird spam. It's a great offensive spinner that does not ruin the flow of offense.

i think that the old mold breaker + rapid spin set could get a mention in OO at the least. Perhaps not worthy of a main set any more but i'd certainly use it over AV, lol. Also I'd probably add Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor to C&C as they are not 2HKOed by any attack and can all (kinda) heal up

Maybe this is just me being a noob, but is sand rush any good on the scarf set to outspeed opposing sand rush excadrills?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think a Sand Rush mention in Set Details would be reasonable. Mold Breaker is mostly just there for two Pokemon anyway, and Gengar is already pulverized by Iron Head after some prior damage. The fact that Sand offense featuring Excadrill has become such a common and powerful playstyle lately makes Sand Rush a pretty attractive option on those teams that are really Sand-weak and need something to at least be able to revenge kill opposing Excadrill reliably.

Clone

Free Gliscor
aim I implemented the changes you suggested, but could you clarify what you meant about Air Balloon? I mentioned that it acts as a safety net against opposing Excadrills, if thats what you meant.

Sturdynips couldve sworn that I already had them, but added them nonetheless. I put the old Mold Breaker Air Balloon set in OO, tho I personally feel that its pretty meh in this day and age

Agent Gibbs I put the mention of Sand Rush on the Scarf set in OO. Im not saying its a gimmick, but Mold Breaker does seem to be more useful in that it hits things like the Latis with EQ, something the SR set cant do. If needed tho, I can put it in set details. Id kinda like a few more opinions on this one first.

Reactions: aim
That's fine, I guess. It's just not something that I'd think would go in Other Options since it really only applies to that one set. I honestly think it's the kind of thing where you include it in Set Details if it's viable or don't if it's not. Maybe I'm wrong about the kind of content that goes in Other Options, but I've always thought that if I see something like "Sand Rush on the Scarf set" in Other Options, I think to myself, "Wait, if that's a viable option on the Scarf set, then why wasn't it mentioned in that set's comments?" Your call, though.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
wot about sand force scarf drill? Considering mold breaker is more often than not useless, and sand rush + scarf is quite situational, the fact that Sand Force is always useful when sand is up seems more consistent than sand rush at least..

Another nitpick, but I'd delete that specific EV spread from the Assault Vest mention in Other Options. Its old purpose was to escape the 3HKO from Aegislash's Shadow Ball, which is no longer applicable. Unless there's some other specific EV spread that works well with the Assault Vest, you can just mention the item by itself.

Clone

Free Gliscor
Idk. Ive used it a few times, and while it wasnt amazing by any means, he was still able to spin against quite a few things that he normally wouldnt have been able to, as well as beat a couple of things one on one. I went to the calculator to do some random calcs and hes able to sponge quite a few special hits actually.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 276-328 (70.5 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
148 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 84-100 (21.4 - 25.5%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 234-278 (59.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 214-252 (54.7 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 270-318 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (sword OHKOs tho and hydro has a 68.8% chance to)
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 150-176 (38.3 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 315-374 (80.5 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 177-211 (45.2 - 53.9%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 170-204 (43.4 - 52.1%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO

I mean, he obviously cant switch into all of these, but he can kinda soft check them in a pinch. Im not against removing it, since I personally found it kinda hit or miss. Jukain aim Valentine what do you guys think? OO or no?

"However, an alternate spread of 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe with an Adamant Nature outspeeds Base 100 Scarfers by 3 points, which is the fastest benchmark outside of Swift Swimmers in Rain."

I'd say ScarfChomp and the pretty Scarfed ponies are relevant, as they can easily kill you.

Clone

Free Gliscor
"However, an alternate spread of 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe with an Adamant Nature outspeeds Base 100 Scarfers by 3 points, which is the fastest benchmark outside of Swift Swimmers in Rain."

I'd say ScarfChomp and the pretty Scarfed ponies are relevant, as they can easily kill you.
It was supposed to say base 110s. Fixed.

I wouldn't mention Mega Venusaur in the team options for the Sand Rush Excadrill set considering how the sand support that Excadrill requires hinders Mega Venusaur's Synthesis.

Valentine

Banned deucer.
sry for late response.

only thing i might consider adding is a brick break mention on jolly life orb sets to score the surprise KOs on opposing balloon exca. generally useless though, and it's nearly impossible to justify wasting a slot on it. just something i like teching if i dont have much for balloon exca.

2/3

Clone

Free Gliscor
sry for late response.

only thing i might consider adding is a brick break mention on jolly life orb sets to score the surprise KOs on opposing balloon exca. generally useless though, and it's nearly impossible to justify wasting a slot on it. just something i like teching if i dont have much for balloon exca.

2/3
I'll add it in the full write up.

Should be done in a day or two

edit: schools a bitch. hoping to get this write up posted by friday night :/

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
However, an alternate spread of 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe with an Adamant Nature outspeeds Base 110 Scarfers by 3 points, which is the fastest benchmark outside of Swift Swimmers in Rain.

I'm a bit confused by this, if Rain is up Excadrill can't outspeed regardless of its investment, and if Sand is up, Swift Swimmers can't outspeed Drill. Am I missing your meaning?

I'll add more later, but Mega Venusaur needs to be removed from the team options section for the Sand Rush Sweeper set. Its generally worse than Amoongus on Sand teams. Keldeo could be mentioned for a partner on that set since it fares well against most of excadrill's checks like Skarmory, gliscor, madibuzz, etc.

Clone

Free Gliscor
I'll add more later, but Mega Venusaur needs to be removed from the team options section for the Sand Rush Sweeper set. Its generally worse than Amoongus on Sand teams. Keldeo could be mentioned for a partner on that set since it fares well against most of excadrill's checks like Skarmory, gliscor, madibuzz, etc.
I couldve sworn that I removed Venu while typing this up... edited as such. Also mentioned Keldeo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)