Excadrill

While I'm still paranoid of other Doryuzus, a bulky Doryuzu with this seems promising.

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 72 HP / 124 Atk / 160 Def / 152 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Drill Liner/Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break/Rapid Spin

About as strong as Jolly Doryuzu and more bulk at the cost of quite a number of speed points but considering no one can really try to outspeed Doryuzu anyway except other Doryuzu, it's all good. 500 speed still outruns the important stuff but it can take a couple of priority attacks.

Max Attack Guts Roopushin Mach Punch: 71.77-85.49%
Choice Band Azumarill Aqua Jet: 75.99-90.24%
Breloom Technician Life Orb Mach Punch: 89.18-105.01% (28.21% ohko but better than the usual 100%)
Max Attack Roopushin with No Guts activated: 49.08-57.52%
+2 Life Orb Technician Bullet Punch: 44.33-52.24% (in case you forgot, Doryuzu resists Bullet Punch so it hurts no more than Roopushin would)

And uh to the one who randomly asked if bulky could survive Hi Jump Kicks...how on Earth could Doryuzu invested or otherwise survive stab super effective Hi Jump Kicks? The only way to do that is with Focus Sash. Even with the most horrid and unrealistic spread imaginable (max hp max def impish so 424 hp and 240 def), a stab super effective Hi Jump Kick from Kojondo or Blaziken is an automatic ohko. And why are you worried about that considering you outspeed them in Sandstorm? Maybe not a +2 Blaziken with the bulkier spread but the offensive ones will and Blaziken is suicidal to try that against Doryuzu anyhow.

I don't know how much a Tyranitar Fire Blast would do since I don't know the standard special attack for the new Tars but it can take up to 286 without some sort of boost or a 269+Expert Belt at full health. It can take one stab Boil Over but remember that you do still have Swords Dance Drill Liner/Earthquake which will make Burungeru jiggle with fear and smash hard.

breh

強いだね
SD BPs hurt. I know for a fact that +6 BPs OHKO; IIRC they do like 30% unboosted.

@Fluffy Otters: Actually Speed Boost Blaziken outspeeds if you don't run Jolly (this assumes it protects turn one then turn two after it fails). Don't run defensive spreads.

I have to learn to read.

Yes, Blaziken is of that much importance. If all of your counters are dead and you death fodder something, this means you have a half chance of forcing it out or OHKOing it. I'd say that's pretty nice. Conversely, the same occurs if you predict a protect.

Without any Speed, you'll be swept in such a situation.

SD BPs hurt. I know for a fact that +6 BPs OHKO; IIRC they do like 30% unboosted.

@Fluffy Otters: Actually Speed Boost Blaziken outspeeds if you don't run Jolly (this assumes it protects turn one then turn two after it fails). Don't run defensive spreads.
Blaziken is running a pretty big risk though facing Doryuzu...you could psyche them out (who keeps Blaziken in when Dory comes anyhow? They won't know you're running a defensive spread).

Life Orb Technician Scizor does 31.49% to a 4 hp/0 Def (standard max attack and speed) Doryuzu. On the Doryuzu above it does only 24.01 and Choice Band does 27.7% avg and 30.08% max (which means +6 would have only 28.21% of ohkoing you with Bullet Punch on the above spread and why did you let Scizor get +6?).

EDIT: Removed, my calcs were wrong =(

For whatever reason people seem to think its safe to SD in Scizor's face and end up taking a fair chunk of damage, often dying.

Has anyone tried Chople berry? It's more reliable than Focus Sash, and, with that bulky spread above,

Doryuuzu (M) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 84 Atk / 160 Def / 192 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Drill Liner/Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break/Rapid Spin

Max Attack, Choice Band, Guts-activated Roobushin Mach Punch: 54.6%-64.1%
Which requires that you somehow manage to status a Guts, Choice Band Roopushin, which are extremely rare. This is pretty much the strongest Fighting priority you will find.

Breloom Technician Life Orb Mach Punch: 44.6%-52.5%
Weak...

Max Attack Roobushin with No Guts activated: 24.5-28.8%
Yeah...Leftovers Roobushin is a joke.

Adamant Blaziken that got lucky with the second Protect: Not an issue, new spread should outspeed.

Jolly Infernape's Iron Fist, LO Mach Punch: 28.0-34.0%
Weak.

Choice Specs Lucario Vacuum Wave: 37.2-43.8%
Special side's pretty much covered too, since that's the only reasonable special priority.

Balloon Terakion that uses Rock Polish , then Close Combat: 68.0%-80.2%
There goes another check.

Basically, this Doryuzuu loses a lot of power, and is essentially useless against opposing Dorys, but you get a fair amount of bulk in exchange.

And, I mentionned this in the Landlos thread, but

Mew @ Lagging Tail
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish

Gravity
U-Turn
Trick
filler/Seismic Toss/Taunt/Toxic...pretty much every TM, move tutor, HM in the game.

+

Doryuzuu @ Choice Band
Sand Power
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Return
X-Scissor

gives you 3 turns to smash everything in sight to pieces. It does exactly 55% minimum to 252 HP/252 Def Impish Hippowdon, meaning it literally 2HKOs everything in the metagame, since Tangrowth/Celebi/Breloom and co are killed by their respective coverage move. Gliscor, Skarmory and Landlos are useless under Gravity. It also works great with Spikes, since Gravity guarantees that the switch-in will be hit by them, weakening them by 25%.

breh

強いだね
Mew @ Lagging Tail
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish

Gravity
U-Turn
Trick
filler/Seismic Toss/Taunt/Toxic...pretty much every TM, move tutor, HM in the game.
I wouldn't suggest using Mew for this. Jirachi can do the same, as can Celebi; both have better (at least IMO) defensive typings. Plus they have better secondary STABs.

Otherwise, Volt Change is better than U-turn in this situation; it runs off the stat in which mew has its most powerful moves.

how bulky dory is ? well he can take defensive poke's move without defensive investment
it survive jolly yachechomp fire blast in the sun
Defensive that i use survive holy sword from cobaluon which means at base 90 uninvested(not sure dunno the spread) using 270 BP move dont OHKO him.
Mach punch never OHKO dory at + nothing.
And uninvested Ttar blast wont OHKO.
if you use 280 SpA without sun and LO using fire blast on offensive EV dory, it wont get KOed

Yeah for such a sweeper that is said to be fragile dory sure is very bulky

I wouldn't suggest using Mew for this. Jirachi can do the same, as can Celebi; both have better (at least IMO) defensive typings. Plus they have better secondary STABs.

Otherwise, Volt Change is better than U-turn in this situation; it runs off the stat in which mew has its most powerful moves.
Actually, Mew's most powerful moves are special (Psychic/Psycho Shock/Aura Sphere/Flamethrower/Icebeam/Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse and all the stronger variants as compared to Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch, Drain Punch, Zen Headbutt, etc) but it can attack both sides and it's attacking stats are still equal.

Edit-Oops, read that wrong. You said Volt Change over U-turn.

It's ironic how everyone says Steel stab sucks...except on Jirachi/Metagross/Scizor (the big one especially)/Shubarago. But in terms of defense, Mew is in my opinion better because it could Roost/Softboiled in comparison to Wish and is completely unpredictable on what set it's running like whether it's Screens, and Attacker, a Mixed, Some sort of Support Poke like the weird but very effective Gravity set above, etc etc etc. It is the ultimate team supporter still.

Also Jirachi is Ground/Fire Attack bait...not a good idea when you U-Turn to Dory. Mew attracts Dark, Ghost, Bug type attacks, all of which Doryuzuu takes without a problem.

Sableye can Trick Lagging Tail and set up Gravity with priority. Might be worth considering for that role.
It could Trick with priority since that was a breeding move but it can't Gravity since Gravity is a 4th gen move tutor incompatible with the Dream World Ability. Although Tricking Iron Ball on people with priority sounds fun now as you really weigh down those Latis, Brongzong, Skarmory, and those Balloon users and cuts Doryuzu into much more manageable as well as vulnerable to Earthquake and slow.

well you have SD and scarf = lock. Seeing you only does 1.3 damage means after 1 set up you deal more damage and the damage you deal sucks since its equal LO boost but you dont boost otehr move which might need boost more than your main STAB.

Ouch, those bulky booster sets you guys posted are going to be like YacheChomp was in Gen IV: the final straw to break the Camerupt's back, or in this case send Mr. Mole on a one-way trip to Uber Land. Don't worry, it's not like he sucks there or anything.

I really like the idea of Bull's Eye (Aiming Mark) Excadrill. It's essentially Mold Breaker in item form, allowing 'drill to hit Skarmory, Weezing, Bronzong, and Rotom-A super effectively, and others (Cresselia) neutrally. Yes, this gets rid of the extra damage given via Life Orb, but it allows 'drill to hit its most common counters for 2x the damage without Choice locking, recoil, or losing 500+ speed! What more could you want?

-Kincaid

I really like the idea of Bull's Eye (Aiming Mark) Excadrill. It's essentially Mold Breaker in item form, allowing 'drill to hit Skarmory, Weezing, Bronzong, and Rotom-A super effectively, and others (Cresselia) neutrally. Yes, this gets rid of the extra damage given via Life Orb, but it allows 'drill to hit its most common counters for 2x the damage without Choice locking, recoil, or losing 500+ speed! What more could you want?

-Kincaid
Bull's Eye removes the immunities of the holder, not the target. It's almost always useless, and certainly useless on Excadrill.

I really like the idea of Bull's Eye (Aiming Mark) Excadrill. It's essentially Mold Breaker in item form, allowing 'drill to hit Skarmory, Weezing, Bronzong, and Rotom-A super effectively, and others (Cresselia) neutrally. Yes, this gets rid of the extra damage given via Life Orb, but it allows 'drill to hit its most common counters for 2x the damage without Choice locking, recoil, or loosing 500+ speed! What more could you want?

-Kincaid
Unfortunately, that's not how Bull's Eye works. It instead gets rid of the pokemon that's holding it's immunities, so in effect you'd be letting Excadrill be Toxic bait. It's an item for tricking onto ghosts and steels, not a sweeping implement.

Edit: Ninja'd.

@ MofoAmbulance + Thorhammer:
Are you serious? I must have read it wrong. I remember looking at the item and thinking how awesome it would be competitively. Like you said, Bull's Eye doesn't work like I thought, and now it might only be useful in a select few situations. Thanks for pointing that out for me, guys!

-Kincaid

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Um, would a Scarf Dory with Sand Power work? The extra damage from turn 1 may let it 2HKO usual counters like Roob,Gliscor and Skarmory. What do you think?
why not just use Sand Throw + Choice Band?

CS+Sand Power is 1.5x spe and 1.3 boost to EQ and Rock slide, CB+Sandthrow is 2x Spe and 1.5 boost to all attacks.

IMO CB Dory can work when you use it as a revenge killer and late game sweeper much like ScarfChomp, since you don't need that set up turn and can switch it in without the fear of loosing your Baloon.
But SDBaloonDory will still be the best late game sweeper because its easy to setup and with the extra power of an SD it can plow even through more defensive Teams.

Actually, I dunno why I didn't think of it that way, but a Band Dory with Sand Throw is actually better. Although its not supposed to be a late game sweeper, but a wall-breaker sort of a thing.

But yeah SD Dory does that better lol.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Has anyone tried Chople berry? It's more reliable than Focus Sash, and, with that bulky spread above,

Doryuuzu (M) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 84 Atk / 160 Def / 192 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Drill Liner/Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break/Rapid Spin
This set barely even looks at the other side of things.

It obviously loses to Hippo now, and poses even less of a threat than normal to Gliscor. I also like how you Neglected:

+2 EQ/BB vs 4/0 Loom 74.81% - 88.17% not OHKOing, still beats you if even somewhat fresh, next.

+2 EQ vs 252/0 Roobushin 81.88% - 96.62% I admit, this is a pretty decent chance to OHKO, and unless the Roob is CB or something they're not going to 2HKO back either. If this becomes standard, you might meet a face full of Drain Punch, though.

I've seen Chople Dory before, this isn't a new concept, but it's only issue is that there's relatively little surprise factor, and that EQers are all over you now (Shuca Dory for mindgame tier?)

I wish there was a way to actually reliably beat loom here, but there isn't. You have to drop enough Defense to get destroyed by Terakion, but that's the only way to make sure Loom is OHKO'd.

It's a good set, it's just that you're still not answering the worst problems for Dory, which always are Loom and Gliscor, and frankly it's impossible to handle the latter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)