Exeggutor (Offensive Trick Room)

[Overview]

Things to do:
  • Finish out the skeleton [ ]
  • Get QC approvals [ 0/3 ]
  • Get GP checks [ ]
  • Upload this [ ]
-Tsunekaz Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokemon Company and producer of Pokémon, favorite Pokemon Exeggutor makes its return to OU to take on the tough field of the OU.
-While Exeggutor is not known for its Speed stat, it is known for his outstanding Special Attack being compared to Trick Room Reuniclus.
-What sets Exeggutor apart from other psychic types is Exeggutor’s unique resistance to water attacks, and great coverage, Exeggutor is a natural candidate for an offensive Trick Room set.
-Exeggutor acts as a wall breaker and being useful for taking some water moves throughout the entire game, thanks to its resistance to water. Exeggutor has the ability to threaten offensive rain teams
with its STAB Grass moves.
-Exeggutor can be a deadly sweeper when played correctly and with the right teammates.

Exeggutor

[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Harvest
nature: Quiet
evs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-Exeggutor can easily switch into Pokemon such as defensive Politoed, offensive Breloom, and Keldeo, and proceed to send them running.
-Giga Drain is Exeggutor's main STAB move and best recovery move; it is quite powerful against rain teams
-Best way to get Trick Room up is against a choice locked Keldeo.

- Psychic covers many threats that don't mind Giga Drain, such as Gyarados, Venusaur, Toxicroak, and Breloom.
-Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Bug-types that resist Giga Drain. Guaranteed OHKo to all versions of Scizor and has a 87.5% chance to OHKO Ferrothorn after Stealth Rock.
-Hidden Power Ice takes out of some Dragon –types and other Pokemon 4X weak to Ice, namely Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Landorus, Landorus-T, but also allows Exeggutor to 2HKO Latias and Latios.
-The choice between Hidden Power Fire and Ice depends on what your team needs. If your team has a problems with steels Hidden Power Fire works best. But if you have problems with Dragon types Hidden Power Ice works.

STATs for Giga Drain w/ Life Orb

vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 374-439 (115.43 - 135.49%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 445-525 (105.95 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 330-390 (81.88 - 96.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO--62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 343-406 (89.32 - 105.72%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO-- -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 343-406 (88.86 - 105.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

STATs for Psychic w/Life Orb

vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur: 408-484 (127.89 - 151.72%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 447-530 (137.96 - 163.58%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 120 HP / 136 SpD Conkeldurr: 484-569 (127.03 - 149.34%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 246-290 (66.66 - 78.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 204-242 (57.79 - 68.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 196-231 (52.83 - 62.26%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO--guaranteed OHKO

Hidden Power Fire

vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Scizor: 406-478 (118.02 - 138.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 322-385 (91.47 - 109.37%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO-- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (Custap Lead) Skarmory: 283-335 (104.42 - 123.61%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 213-252 (52.72 - 62.37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 234-276 (72.22 - 85.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Stats for Hidden Power Ice

vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 510-603 (138.21 - 163.41%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 426-504 (131.88 - 156.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 541-640 (152.82 - 180.79%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 172-203 (56.95 - 67.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus-T: 255-302 (85.28 - 101%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Yache Berry Garchomp: 244-289 (68.15 - 80.72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence: 567-671 (171.29 - 202.71%) -- guaranteed OHKO

[Additional Comments]

-The HP EVs give Exeggutor a Life Orb number, with Special Attack maximized and the rest of the EVs thrown into Special Defense.
-Exeggutor has access to Leaf Storm which is mroe powerful to Giga Drain but that nasty - 2 to your special attackers will stop your sweep under Trick Room and can cause you to be ease bait.
-Energy Ball is another option as it has a +5 BP than Giga Drain if you want a more powerful grass move but the nice recovery STAB is recommend.
-Finally, Psyshock deals more damage to Chansey, Blissey, and Terrakion in the sand, so it is an option for any team that has problems with those Pokemon.
-Entry Hazard support is very helpful to facilitate Exeggutor's sweep, allowing it to OHKO Pokemon such as Dragonite, Magnezone, and Skarmory with Hidden Power Fire or Ice. Ferrothorn, Celebi, Terrakion, and Heatran are all excellent partners that can provide Stealth Rock or Spikes in Ferrothorn's case.
-Conkeldurr is a good partner for removing some of Exeggutor's biggest obstacles, Heatran, Blissey and Latias and has the added bonus of very good defensive synergy with Exeggutor.
-Gothitelle is another appreciated teammate, as it is able to cripple or KO Chansey, Blissey, Celebi, and Ferrothorn, making it much easier for Exeggutor to sweep.

[SET]
name: Mixed Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Wood Hammer
move 3: Nature Power
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Harvest
nature: Quiet
evs: 74 HP / 244 Atk / 190 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-With Heatran being the main counter to special Exeggutor, why just go mix and hit your main counter.
-With 246 Attack EVs is enough for even Physical Defensive Hippowdon to be 2HKO by Wood Hammer

-Blissey is also 2HKO from Wood Hammer
-Hidden Power Ice takes out of some Dragon –types and other Pokemon 4X weak to Ice, namely Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Landorus, Landorus-T, but also allows Exeggutor to 2HKO Latias and Latios.
-Nature Power lets you 2HKO Jirachi and have a 87% chance of OHKO Ninetales after Stealth Rock

[Additional Comments]

-The HP EVs give Exeggutor a Life Orb number, with enough Special Attack to KO key Dragon Pokemon after Stealth Rock.
-Heatran and Magnezone are good partners for mixed Exeggutor as they both can get rid of Steel types that wall this set. Magnezone also helps against Gyarados who walls Exeggutor
- Zen Headbutt is other option that can be used if you want to hit Gengar, Venusuar or Breloom hard.

-Entry Hazard support is strongly recommended to facilitate Exeggutor's sweep, allowing it to OHKO Pokemon such as Dragonite, and Garchomp . Ferrothorn, Celebi, Terrakion, and Heatran are all excellent partners that can provide Stealth Rock or Spikes in Ferrothorn's case.
-Conkeldurr is a good partner for removing some of Exeggutor's biggest obstacles, Heatran, Blissey and has the added bonus of very good defensive synergy with Exeggutor.

[Other Options]

-If you don't like the Life Orb recoil you can opt for Leftovers, but the recovery from Giga Drain balances out.
-If you want take advantage of Exeggutor's Harvest ability you can put a Sitrus Berry on Exeggutor and regain 25% health back when under 50%. But to activate Harvest 100% you can put Exeggutor in a sun team.

[Checks and Counters]

-While under Trick Room it becomes extremely hard to counter Exeggutor because of the fear being 2HKO or OHKO from Exeggutor
-To beat Exeggutor while under Trick Room is to try stalling the turns or have Toxic or Will-O-Wisp to cripple Exeggutor
-Exeggutor is pretty easily countered when Trick Room is not up due to its abysmal speed stat and poor typing.
-What counters Exeggutor is Heatran, it can come on any move and proceed to OHKO with Fire Blast or Lava Plume
-Another Pokemon that can wall Exeggutor is Blissey it can take a hit and proceed to Toxic
-Exeggutor is cursed by its four moveslot, if your not running either Hidden Power you become wall by other threats.
-If not running Hidden Power Fire Latias walls Exeggutors
-Hydreigon can take a hit and proceed to use U-turn or Fire Blast
-If not running Hidden Power Fire Latios walls Exeggutors

I don't see why you'd use this instead of a Slowking. Being able to switch into Rotom-W is subpar reasoning since the Rotom-W user will just switch into Scizor or Tyranitar and force you out / OHKO you anyways. You're walled by any dragon and Heatran which is just awful.. :| Exeggutor's coverage options are abysmal and, unlike Slowking, is nailed by Hidden Power Bug Keldeo. I guess you check Landorus to an extent but Earth Power + Hidden Power Ice OHKO's after Stealth Rock, so it's not even an effective switch in.. Plus U-turn varients nail you anyways. If you want to salvage this set, I think Psychic or Giga Drain has to go and adding Nature Power + a mixed spread (or something to OHKO Heatran) would be ideal. This would mean getting rid of HP Fire and making HP Ice the main slash on one set.. I mean, this still isn't very good.. I'll have to test it I guess. The two sets I can see working are TR / HP Ice / Nature Power / Giga Drain OR TR / Psychic / HP Fire / Nature Power.. I was originally going to reject instantly, but jc104 brought up Nature Power so I think it may be doable. We'll see. Thanks for sharing.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I can see this thing working, but it has really awful 4MSS. I think running both STABs might be a mistake, because you need the coverage, and for obvious reasons people don't tend to switch in things that are weak to, say, Giga Drain.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I agree with Princess Bri. I mean, there are other things that get TR that can just as easily switch into Rotom-W. You mention Harvest as it's ability, but I would think Chlorophyll could be used as insurance against sun teams (especially if you're going to go with Nature Power, which I assume will become Earthquake).

Also, I'd think Celebi would be better anyway since it gets both Natural Cure, recover, and you could run just enough speed to outpace CB Scizor and HP Fire (not sure how much LO HP Fire would do with Modest Celebi, but I'm assuming a lot of the Rotom-W user VSwitches into it... unless it's in rain, but that's just teambuilding issues). Celebi also gets Healing Wish, which makes a good pairing (TR + Healing Wish to Conkeldurr).

I really think this thing is outclassed. I mean, there are a lot of Pokemon that get TR that just do this better (Reuniclus could even utilize HP Fire for Scizor, or you could pair it with Sheer Force Conkeldurr w/ Fire Punch)

EDIT:

Comments above are for the first set you posted; I didn't see the second Exeggutor set, my bad. I would think that Porygon2 or Reuniclus would be better TR sweepers than Exeggutor (hell, even Celebi could do it). I'm not sure how I feel about mixed since it's power is lackluster as it is...

I agree with Princess Bri. I mean, there are other things that get TR that can just as easily switch into Rotom-W. You mention Harvest as it's ability, but I would think Chlorophyll could be used as insurance against sun teams (especially if you're going to go with Nature Power, which I assume will become Earthquake).

Also, I'd think Celebi would be better anyway since it gets both Natural Cure, recover, and you could run just enough speed to outpace CB Scizor and HP Fire (not sure how much LO HP Fire would do with Modest Celebi, but I'm assuming a lot of the Rotom-W user VSwitches into it... unless it's in rain, but that's just teambuilding issues). Celebi also gets Healing Wish, which makes a good pairing (TR + Healing Wish to Conkeldurr).

I really think this thing is outclassed. I mean, there are a lot of Pokemon that get TR that just do this better (Reuniclus could even utilize HP Fire for Scizor, or you could pair it with Sheer Force Conkeldurr w/ Fire Punch)

EDIT:

Comments above are for the first set you posted; I didn't see the second Exeggutor set, my bad. I would think that Porygon2 or Reuniclus would be better TR sweepers than Exeggutor (hell, even Celebi could do it). I'm not sure how I feel about mixed since it's power is lackluster as it is...
Well for one Celebii can't utilize Trick Room effectively, b/c of its Base 100 Speed b/c Scizor will outspeed Celebi under Trick Room and proceed to U-Turn out. Porygon 2 is easily a target for Breloom to come in and spore and set up. Exeggutor sports the 125 Special Attack that Porygon2 and Celebi can only dream of. It also has a STAB psychic that can help beat Keldeo which Porygon2 can't and it has reliable recovery with a STAB Giga Drain. With rain teams so common in OU it can be a good counter to them. Plus Exeggutor can go mix unlike Porygon2, Reuniclus, and to a degree Celebii can do. I t can get past bulky walls like Hippowdon with ease.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
What? Porygon2 has download and reaches 507 SpA (aka more than Exeggutor and it gets Eviolite boosted defenses), and gets Hidden Power Fire. Under TR, it murders Scizor. Celebi can also just as easily force Breloom out and set up a TR as well; it can work both ways (in / out of TR).

While it's true that Celebi has that base 100 and would get outpaced by Scizor's U-turn, it is also true that Exeggutor doesn't have Celebi's movepool or bulk. Celebi hits 184 spe with a negative nature and 0 spe IVs, which outpaces more than enough in TR (Celebi take hits from Terrakion and Keldeo better than Exegguttor does, for starters, thanks to its better bulk and access to recover).

What's more, Celebi's Recover allows it to set up TR multiple times, and it also gets U-turn / Baton Pass / Healing Wish, which allows you to go into a TR Sweeper / Abuser right away for those four turns of destruction.

I will relent that Celebi can't do TR 3+ attacks like Exegguttor can, but Porygon2 and Reuniclus heavily outclass it in this regard. You could always use HP Fire on them instead for Scizor and their sheer power in their attacks make up for the lack of Grass STAB (Pory2 gets Tbolt for water types like Politoed as well).

The only thing it does better is go mixed, and to an extent, Reuniclus gets Psyshock, and only Chansey / Blissey can really wall Pory2's SpA (on the top of my head, anyway, as HP Fire murders Ferrothorn + Jirachi). Also, like I said, going mixed has got to hamper Exeggutor's offensive abilities.

EDIT:

Porygon2's TBolt does like 84%, and Keldeo can't even OHKO back as Secret Sword does around 70% to 252 HP Eviolite, so I digress, it can also beat Keldeo as well. It just can't set up on it (earlygame, anyway, it's perfectly fine with doing it at 90% and if Keldeo is 84% or lower), but as a TR sweeper it can still defeat Keldeo if it's a lategame sweep since Keldeo will be in rage to die around this time.

Oh, and Pory2 gets Recover, so it can set up multiple TR's... something Exeggutor will never be able to do.

What? Porygon2 has download and reaches 507 SpA (aka more than Exeggutor and it gets Eviolite boosted defenses), and gets Hidden Power Fire. Under TR, it murders Scizor.

While it's true that Celebi has that base 100 and would get outpaced by Scizor's U-turn, it is also true that Exeggutor doesn't have Celebi's movepool or bulk. Celebi hits 184 spe with a negative nature and 0 spe IVs, which outpaces more than enough in TR (Celebi take hits from Terrakion and Keldeo better than Exegguttor does, for starters, thanks to its better bulk).

What's more, Celebi's Recover allow it to set up TR multiple times , and it also gets U-turn / Baton Pass / Healing Wish, which allows you to go into a TR sweeper / abuser right away for those four turns of destruction.

I will relent that Celebi can't do TR 3+ attacks like Exegguttor can, but Porygon2 and Reuniclus heavily outclass it in this regard. You could always use HP Fire on them instead for Scizor and their sheer power in their attacks make up for the lack of Grass STAB (Pory2 gets Tbolt for water types like Politoed as well).

The only thing it does better is go mixed, and to an extent, Reuniclus gets Psyshock, and only Chansey / Blissey can really wall Pory2's SpA (on the top of my head, anyway, as HP Fire murders Ferrothorn). Also, like I said, going mixed has got to hamper Exeggutor's offensive abilities.
You made a good point. But I'm just stuck on why Porygon2? It has to rely on getting the download boost to become deadly, you said Porygon2 has Tbolt, well you'll be 2HKO Politoed which in return can 2HKO it back by Hydro Pump in the rain. Exeggutor gets rid of these threats quicker than Porygon2. Keldeo can also 2HKO Porygon2, but Porygon2 can't OHKO Keldeo like Exeggutor can. Also Reuniclus can not get past Tyranitar very easily b/c it has to rely on Focus Miss to hit Tyranitar, while Exeggutor can KO with Giga Drain or Wood Hammer.

Exeggutor can get past all of the weather starters which set it aparts from all TR users. It can set up Trick Room and be a deadly sweeper all by it set. Its plays similar to Trick Room Slowking, its a stand alone Trick Room sweeper, t can get past bulky threats that most Pokemon can only dream of.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
You make a good point too, I suppose. I'll have to test it. Pory2 is still quite strong without a +1 boost, but TTar is potent. My problem with Exeggutor is that hazards + LO have got to wear it down (and Wood Hammer; not to mention sand if your dealing with TTar, which would be the only thing this thing does better than P2 or Reu). It can't very well come in more than maybe twice in a single game. My point is that Reuniclus and Pory2 are not only powerful but bulky, and can come in a few times and wreck shit. Exeggutor... not so much. You HAVE to use it lategame if you plan on sweeping with it, and it can't very well continually switch into Keldeo (HP Ice + hazards + LO + recoil after you Wood Hammer would severely cripple you).

Specs Toed 2HKOs with Ice Beam, and it actually should OHKO if you use Wood Hammer, since LO and recoil should put you into the zero zone.

I'm not a fan of this set. Can you maybe provide some logs as to how this set is used so I can maybe get a different feel for it?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Id prefer the ones Princess Bri mentioned, since they were primarily the ones QC were interested in.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just no the the special set. It hardly can set-up on against anything found on rain teams (even defensive Politoed 2HKOes with Ice Beam), while Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, Celebi, Jirachi, and many other Pokemon wall it to hell and back. Slowking can work thanks to its way better special bulk and typing, Water STAB which is boosted by rain and actually gets good coverage with Psyhic, unlike Grass, and Regenerator, which makes Slowking not only a sweeper but a defensive asset as well on offensive teams.

I am leaning towards rejecting the physical set too, as it is not bulky at all due to the need to ivnest in both offenses, has many weaknesses that make it hard to setup, and even if it manages to setup it is super weak to priority (Scizor and Mamoswine) AND gets weakened by its main STAB move on top of that, not to mention that it is not hard at all to wall. However, i will give you the doubt of benefit and let you gather some logs in order to convince us.

yah sorry, i tried the mixed and it still isn't worth it. scizor / jirachi / lati@s / skarmory / gyarados etc wall it still.. just not that great

qc rejected 1/3

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually went and tested Trick Room Exeggutor when doughboy was writing an analysis for Exeggutor around the start of BW2. It was probably the set I knocked off first. I mean, it wasn't bad by any means, but it has very little advantages over any of its other sets, or other Trick Room mons. Yes, Trick Room is different because it screws around with a fast paced metagame, TR is such a hit or miss strategy it's not hardly worth it competitively. Pokemon that get Trick Room sets have to be pretty damn extraordinary (Reuniclus for its bulk and Magic Guard, while Victini for V-Create being amazing in TR). Exeggutor just has better things to do with its time.

QC REJECTED 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)