Exeggutor (Substitute + Sunny Day) [GP 2/2]

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
copying from the thread~

Dancing coconut tree

[SET]
name: Substitute + Sunny Day
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Sunny Day
move 3: SolarBeam
move 4: Psyshock
item: Leftovers
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Exeggutor is pretty good at sweeping, especially under sun, it is prone to revenge killing and is stopped cold by several Pokemon in the tier. This set allows Exeggutor to circumvent some of the problems it usually faces, making it harder to take down while still retaining most of its sweeping potential. Exeggutor trades a coverage move, which it might not even use much, for Substitute. Substitute lets Exeggutor avoid revenge killing, thus getting past several of its usual checks while also reducing the need to predict against Sucker Punch users. Once Exeggutor hits the field, the first move to use is usually Substitute. If possible, the next turn can be used to set up Sunny Day and commence the sweep. Substitute is invaluable on this set, as Exeggutor can then take down several of its usual checks by itself with an intact Substitute. For example, Choice Scarf Rotom-S can no longer check Exeggutor even without sun as the Substitute can take an Air Slash while Exeggutor KOes it with Psyshock. Swellow, who is faster without sun, is always held in a lose-lose situation when faced with a Substitute. Throwing up another Substitute as Swellow attacks lets Exeggutor continue to hide behind a Substitute while it U-turns out, or set up Sunny Day as it uses Brave Bird, making Swellow an easy kill.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Substitute prevents Exeggutor from being revenge killed by Sucker Punch users such as Absol, but take note that Exeggutor can still be revenge killed, especially when it sacrifices its Substitute to take down a Pokemon. As such Exeggutor is still rather hard to be taken down by quicker Pokemon and priority users. Sunny Day is equally useful for Exeggutor as well. With Sunny Day, Exeggutor becomes a self-sufficient sun sweeper as it no longer has to rely on the sun provided by its teammates. Furthermore, Sunny Day works well in tandem with Substitute, as with a Substitute intact when the sun fades, Exeggutor can usually set it up again safely and continue to wreck the opponent's team. The five turns of sunlight are usually enough for Exeggutor to cause irreversible damage to the opponent, and if it isn't, Exeggutor can always set it up again when it gets another opportunity to do so. With consistent sun available through the use of Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a reliable Grass-type STAB attack that can easily blast through many Pokemon. It even has a high chance of 2HKOing Tangela after Stealth Rock damage. Psyshock fills in the final slot nicely as it takes care of special walls such as Cryogonal and easily handles Magmortar. It also hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss super effectively. With just two attacking moves, Exeggutor is already hard enough to wall. Leftovers is the item of choice to enable Exeggutor to replenish its health and make multiple Substitutes. While it might not posses as much power as with a Choice Specs or Life Orb, this set is better at sweeping more consistently and setting up sun.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Speed and Special Attack while the remaining 4 EVs are placed into Defense instead of HP to reduce the HP taken by Substitute. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Choice Scarf users, such as Rotom-S, under sun, while a Modest nature can be used for extra power and gains a 2HKO on standard Miltank. Psychic is an alternative to Psyshock as it has higher Base Power, but most of what Psychic hits is already heavily dented by SolarBeam, and Psyshock allows Exeggutor to bypass some special walls such as Cryoganol. Chlorophyll is the preferred ability as it enables Exeggutor to sweep instead of using Harvest to stall opponents. Wish support from Alomomola can be helpful when Exeggutor's HP gets low, especially after multiple uses of Substitute. Furthermore, the two have pretty good synergy with each other. Another sun sweeper such as Victreebel can utilize the sun in the event that Exeggutor faints or gets forced out. A Rock- or Ground-type teammate such as Regirock and Golem helps provide opportunities for Exeggutor to set up, as they attract Water- and Ground-types. Such teammates can also help deal with Pokemon that consistently threatens Exeggutor, such as Skuntank. Heat Rock is a viable alternative to consider as it prolongs the sun turns and lengthens sweeps, making it possible to sweep an entire team in a single shot. Life Orb can be used to bolster Exeggutor's already magnificent firepower but it depletes Exeggutor's HP rather quickly along with Substitute. Giga Drain gives Exeggutor greater longevity at the cost of doing significantly less damage than with SolarBeam. Synthesis can be used over Substitute or Psyshock but the loss of either usually causes too many problems for it to be worthwhile. Although Exeggutor uses Sunny Day, it still fits well on some non-sun teams as a standalone sweeper as it can set up sun all by itself and sweep.</p>

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So with the EV spread...is there anything notable to actually outspeeds before or after Sunny Day? Without Timid it doesn't hit certain benchmarks (hell, it even gets outsped by Scarf Braviary under sun) and outside the sun it won't outspeed the standard Samurott spread or Stallbreaker Misdreavus, which is a pretty important speed tier. I think the EV spread should be changed to either 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe with Timid, which will outspeed standard Samurott and anything trying to speed creep that, or to 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe with Timid, as this will outspeed scarf Rotom-S in the sun (more speed than this is pretty pointless here, as you can't outspeed base 90 +1 anyway). I haven't run the calcs but I don't think you miss any important 2HKOs (you mentioned Tangela, but that has no business switching into Exeggutor and will still be 3HKOed). As for Substitute, yeah its a great move to avoid revenge killing but the fact is you won't always be able to keep it up, so I think the extra speed could really come in handy.

As for the move set, no mention at all for Giga Drain? I know Solarbeam is a lot more powerful in the sun, but setting up sun can be an absolute pain when you need to hit something like Samurott straight away. I reckon Giga Drain should be slashed with Solarbeam, and the pros and cons of each explained. Giga Drain also recovers that lost HP from Substitute.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So with the EV spread...is there anything notable to actually outspeeds before or after Sunny Day? Without Timid it doesn't hit certain benchmarks (hell, it even gets outsped by Scarf Braviary under sun) and outside the sun it won't outspeed the standard Samurott spread or Stallbreaker Misdreavus, which is a pretty important speed tier. I think the EV spread should be changed to either 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe with Timid, which will outspeed standard Samurott and anything trying to speed creep that, or to 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe with Timid, as this will outspeed scarf Rotom-S in the sun (more speed than this is pretty pointless here, as you can't outspeed base 90 +1 anyway). I haven't run the calcs but I don't think you miss any important 2HKOs (you mentioned Tangela, but that has no business switching into Exeggutor and will still be 3HKOed). As for Substitute, yeah its a great move to avoid revenge killing but the fact is you won't always be able to keep it up, so I think the extra speed could really come in handy.

As for the move set, no mention at all for Giga Drain? I know Solarbeam is a lot more powerful in the sun, but setting up sun can be an absolute pain when you need to hit something like Samurott straight away. I reckon Giga Drain should be slashed with Solarbeam, and the pros and cons of each explained. Giga Drain also recovers that lost HP from Substitute.
Whatever that outspeeds it can be pretty much KOed while the Substitute takes the hit. LO set is better for outspeeding things I think. Modest gains KOes on Tangela etc. Power is more important than Speed here when Exeggutor is going to hide behind a Substitute most of the time. Most of the time the opponent doesn't have multiple Pokemon that are faster than Eggy in sun or has priority to break its sub. Outside sun, Eggy won't be beating Missy even if it's faster even though it can avoid Taunt since it'll be wasting another turn to set up sun instead of hitting it with SolarBeam / Psyshock to KO it. If you still have a sub up against Samurott just Sunny Day and SolarBeam it... if not, you can't SolarBeam it outside sun anyway, unless Psyshock can KO it... Substitute isn't that hard to keep actually >.> So I don't see what's worth outspeeding outside sun as long as sub is still there when the sun fades so Eggy can set up sun again while sub gets broken and KO Samurott etc. QC can correct me here if I'm wrong >.> It isn't functioning much or as well at all outside sun, and the main point of this set is to set up sun and maintain it as long as possible with the help of Subsitute. Timid is in the AC if that helps but power > Speed imo...

Err... The HP from Substitute is most of the time regained through Wish or
Leftovers and Giga Drain is pretty weak :/ An AC mention is best at most. It should be sweeping with SolarBeam and Psyshock when possible but not bothering too much about HP :/ I'll add that if QC wants to in AC or something..

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The point I'm trying to make is the extra Speed will actually help if Exeggutor ends up in a one on one with Samurott / Misdreavus or whatever else, meaning it can either set up sun or a Substitute before they can actually move, as well as being a lot faster under sun in order to beat a lot of things (Rotom-S) before they can break your sub, letting you actually keep the sub up for longer. You cannot guarantee to always have a sub up, and the extra Speed acts as a sort of insurance for when you don't.

Outside of Tangela what is the Modest nature actually doing? Even then, Tangela will not 2HKO Exeggutor with Hidden Power, while Exeggutor can 3HKO with Timid. I mean, the set clearly works with Modest, I just think it would work even better with Timid. If you can show me a lot of 2HKOs Modest gets that Timid won't then it would make a lot more sense to me. At the moment it just seems like Modest is chosen for extra power, which doesn't sound great in an analysis when there are a lot of threats you can outspeed with Timid.

sandshrewz

POTATO
The point I'm trying to make is the extra Speed will actually help if Exeggutor ends up in a one on one with Samurott / Misdreavus or whatever else, meaning it can either set up sun or a Substitute before they can actually move, as well as being a lot faster under sun in order to beat a lot of things (Rotom-S) before they can break your sub, letting you actually keep the sub up for longer. You cannot guarantee to always have a sub up, and the extra Speed acts as a sort of insurance for when you don't.

Outside of Tangela what is the Modest nature actually doing? Even then, Tangela will not 2HKO Exeggutor with Hidden Power, while Exeggutor can 3HKO with Timid. I mean, the set clearly works with Modest, I just think it would work even better with Timid. If you can show me a lot of 2HKOs Modest gets that Timid won't then it would make a lot more sense to me. At the moment it just seems like Modest is chosen for extra power, which doesn't sound great in an analysis when there are a lot of threats you can outspeed with Timid.
Sorry if I sounded harsh in the previous post! :x idk I doubt people would leave their Samurott to be safe in case Eggy is Timid. Eggy can't beat missy outside of sun whether or not it is faster. Missy can just Shadow Ball :/ the point of sub is to mainly avoid revenge killing, even for just once though it can do that many times. I don't think most teams would be able to revenge kill twice :/

Tangela 2HKOes with Sludge Bomb... being able to 2HKO back with SR is pretty huge though. I'll do some calcs when I'm on comp again. But in practice, Modest has served me well. Getting the Sub broken by something you can KO seems worth it. I see your concerns regarding keeping the sub though.

Can Substitute just be slashed on the Sunny Day set? There doesn't seem to be very many differences in how it plays, other than Substitute helps prevent revenge killing and eases set up somewhat at the expense of coverage.

sandshrewz

POTATO
Can Substitute just be slashed on the Sunny Day set? There doesn't seem to be very many differences in how it plays, other than Substitute helps prevent revenge killing and eases set up somewhat at the expense of coverage.
There's only the sun sweeper set... and Substitute is not just about avoiding revenge killing. With that it actually helps it sweep by itself. It doesn't need to fear those that it can 2HKO but not OHKO. Substitute buys it another turn to continue sweeping. Also, Psychic might be inferior for this set. It needs to KO Magmortar and Cryo without Sub as they're most .of the initial switch-ins to it. It does play differently in the sense that it can work on its own even without external sun support. It can't spam powerful attacks too but that doesn't hamper its sweep too much.the set on-site is a sitting duck when sun fades and I doubt it can set up sun without sub :/ also, fclc proved it worked on a non-sun team as a sweeper itself. Thank you fclc.

Edit: and slashing sub, psyshock, and leftovers would be too much slashes...

sandshrewz

POTATO
Double posting for calcs >.> Things that are 2HKOed by Modest and not by Timid, assuming Stealth Rock

Miltank
Murshana
Sun Sweeper Exeggutor
Specially Defensive Lairon Specially Defensive Ampharos

Electrode Ninjask
Regice (lol the RU one survives)
Sub CM / Coil Serperior
Stunfisk for OHKO
Vanilluxe
Walrein

also Eviolite Zweilous is bulky o.O I probably did a few calcs wrong >.> Not many of those here are notable though. Also, found out that Tangela has a high chance of 2HKO after Stealth Rock, not guaranteed -.-

Django

Kind of what I was saying, Modest is really not giving that many useful extra KO's, and at least Timid has some tanglible benefits.

Put Timid first and slash Modest next to it. Most of the Pokemon that are 2HKO'd by Modest rather than Timid aren't that important or you need SR to beat them, while the extra Speed can be very helpful in outspeeding opponents before and after you set-up Sunny Day.

As for the set itself, I'm not sure about it yet. I still need to test it out more, but it looks pretty good so far.

sandshrewz

POTATO
Kind of what I was saying, Modest is really not giving that many useful extra KO's, and at least Timid has some tanglible benefits.
ok!! :)

Put Timid first and slash Modest next to it. Most of the Pokemon that are 2HKO'd by Modest rather than Timid aren't that important or you need SR to beat them, while the extra Speed can be very helpful in outspeeding opponents before and after you set-up Sunny Day.

As for the set itself, I'm not sure about it yet. I still need to test it out more, but it looks pretty good so far.
done and done!! :) I'd personally still use Modest though rofl x) that's just my preference~

~~~

Put Heat Rock, Life Orb, and Giga Drain in AC.

This set is ok. After you make those changes: QC Approve 1/3

Edit: Synthesis is a good AC option as well.

Hmm, possible AC mention of Synthesis over Substitute? I know that kinda takes away from the set, but Eggy is quite bulky and gets 66% recovery in the sun

HI! I'M A WALKING, TALKING, SUPER SMART PALM TREE. I ALSO HAVE A ROCKET ENGINE JAMMED UP MY ASS TO USE WHEN THE SUN COMES OUT AND I ALSO GROW BERRIES AT RANDOM TIMES!!!

QC APPROVED 3/3

sandshrewz

POTATO
AND THE SUPER SMART PALM TREE AWAITS TO STEAMROLL STEAMROLL WITH SOLARBEAM!!! ERM AND DTC TOO!!! Erm I mean, thanks for the QC checks guys! This is finally written and ready for GP checks!! :D

ME
I AM DOOOOOOOOOOOONE
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Exeggutor is pretty good at sweeping, especially under sun, it is prone to revenge killing and is stopped cold by several Pokemon in the tier. This set aims to allows Exeggutor to circumvent some of the problems it usually faces, making it harder to take down while still retaining most of its sweeping potential. Exeggutor trades a coverage move, which it might not even use much, for Substitute. Substitute lets Exeggutor avoid revenge killing and thus get past several of its usual checks, while also reducing the need to predict against Sucker Punch users. Once Exeggutor hits the field, the first move to use is usually Substitute. If possible, the next turn can be used to set up Sunny Day and commence the sweep. Substitute is invaluable on this set, as Exeggutor can then take down several of its usual checks by itself with an intact Substitute. For example, Choice Scarf Rotom-S can no longer check Exeggutor even without sun as the Substitute can take an Air Slash while Exeggutor KOes it with Psyshock. Swellow, who is faster without sun, is always held in a lose-lose situation when faced with a Substitute. Throwing up another Substitute as Swellow attacks lets Exeggutor continue to hide behind a Substitute while it U-turns out, or set up Sunny Day as it uses Brave Bird, making Swellow an easy kill.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Substitute prevents Exeggutor from being revenge killed by Sucker Punch users such as Absol, but take note that Exeggutor can still be revenge killed, especially when it sacrifices its Substitute to take down a Pokemon. As suchHowever, Exeggutor is still rather hard to be taken down by quicker Pokemon and priority revenge killusers. Sunny Day is equally useful for Exeggutor as well. With Sunny Day, Exeggutor becomes a self-sufficient sun sweeper as it no longer has to rely on the sun provided by its teammates. Furthermore, Sunny Day works well in tandem with Substitute, as with an Subsitute intact when the sun fades, Exeggutor can usually set up the suit up again safely and continue to wreck the opponent's team. The five turns of sunlight isare usually enough for Exeggutor to cause irreverissible damage to the opponent and if it isn't, Exeuggutor can always set it up again when it gets another opportunity to do so. With consistent sun available through the use of Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a reliable Grass-type STAB attack that can easily blast through many Pokemon. It even 2HKOes Tangela after Stealth Rock damage. Psyshock fills in the final slot nicely, taking care of special walls such as Cryogonal and easily handles Magmortar. It also hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss super effectively. With just two attacking moves, Exeggutor is already hard enough to wall. Leftovers is the item of choice to enable Exeggutor to replenish its health and make multiple Substitutes. While it might not posses as much power as with a Choice Specs or Life Orb, this set is better at sweeping more consistently and setting up sun.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Speed and Special Attack while the remaining 4 EVs are placed into Defense instead of HP to reduce the HP taken fromby Substitute. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Choice Scarf users&mdash;such as Rotom-S&mdash;under sun, while a Modest nature can be used for extra power and gaining it aforementioned guarateed 2HKO. Psychic is an alternative to Psyshock as it has higher Base Power, but most of what Psychic hits is already heavily dented by SolarBeam, and Psyshock allows Exeggutor to bypass some special walls. Chlorophyll is the preferred ability to enable Exeggutor to sweep instead of using Harvest to stall opponents. Wish support from Alomomola can be helpful when Exeggutor's HP gets low, espeically through multiple uses of Substitute. Furthermore, they have pretty good synergy with each other. Another sun sweeper such as Victreebel can utilize the sun in the event that Exeggutor faints or gets forced out. A Rock- or Ground-type teammate such as Regirock helps to openprovide opportunities for Exeggutor to set up, as they attract Water- and Ground-types. Such teammates can also help deal with Pokemon that consistently threatens Exeggutor, such as Skuntank. Heat Rock is a viable alternative to consider as it prolongs the sun turns and lengthens sweeps, making it possible to sweep an entire team in a single shot. Life Orb can be used to bolster Exeggutor's already magnificent firepower but it depletes Exeggutor's HP rather quickly along with Substitute. Giga Drain gives Exeggutor greater longevity at the cost of doing significantly less damage than with SolarBeam. Synthesis can be used over Substitute or Psyshock but the loss of either usually causes too much problems for it to be worthwhile. Although Exeggutor uses Sunny Day, it still fits well on some non-sun teams as a standalone sweeper as it can set up sun all by itself and yet sweep as well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Exeggutor is pretty good at sweeping, especially under sun, it is prone to revenge killing and is stopped cold by several Pokemon in the tier. This set allows Exeggutor to circumvent some of the problems it usually faces, making it harder to take down while still retaining most of its sweeping potential. Exeggutor trades a coverage move, which it might not even use much, for Substitute. Substitute lets Exeggutor avoid revenge killing and thus get past several of its usual checks, while also reducing the need to predict against Sucker Punch users. Once Exeggutor hits the field, the first move to use is usually Substitute. If possible, the next turn can be used to set up Sunny Day and commence the sweep. Substitute is invaluable on this set, as Exeggutor can then take down several of its usual checks by itself with an intact Substitute. For example, Choice Scarf Rotom-S can no longer check Exeggutor even without sun as the Substitute can take an Air Slash while Exeggutor KOes it with Psyshock. Swellow, who is faster without sun, is always held in a lose-lose situation when faced with a Substitute. Throwing up another Substitute as Swellow attacks lets Exeggutor continue to hide behind a Substitute while it U-turns out, or set up Sunny Day as it uses Brave Bird, making Swellow an easy kill.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Substitute prevents Exeggutor from being revenge killed by Sucker Punch users such as Absol, but take note that Exeggutor can still be revenge killed, especially when it sacrifices its Substitute to take down a Pokemon. However, Exeggutor is still rather hard to be taken down by quicker Pokemon and priority users. Sunny Day is equally useful for Exeggutor as well. With Sunny Day, Exeggutor becomes a self-sufficient sun sweeper as it no longer has to rely on the sun provided by its teammates. Furthermore, Sunny Day works well in tandem with Substitute, as with a Subsitute intact when the sun fades, Exeggutor can usually set it up again safely and continue to wreck the opponent's team. The five turns of sunlight are usually enough for Exeggutor to cause irreversible damage to the opponent and if it isn't, Exeuggutor can always set it up again when it gets another opportunity to do so. With consistent sun available through the use of Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a reliable Grass-type STAB attack that can easily blast through many Pokemon. It even 2HKOes Tangela after Stealth Rock damage. Psyshock fills in the final slot nicely, taking care of special walls such as Cryogonal and easily handles Magmortar. It also hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss super effectively. With just two attacking moves, Exeggutor is already hard enough to wall. Leftovers is the item of choice to enable Exeggutor to replenish its health and make multiple Substitutes. While it might not posses as much power as with a Choice Specs or Life Orb, this set is better at sweeping more consistently and setting up sun.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Speed and Special Attack while the remaining 4 EVs are placed into Defense instead of HP to reduce the HP taken by Substitute. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Choice Scarf users&mdash;such as Rotom-S&mdash;under sun, while a Modest nature can be used for extra power. Psychic is an alternative to Psyshock as it has higher Base Power, but most of what Psychic hits is already heavily dented by SolarBeam, and Psyshock allows Exeggutor to bypass some special walls. Chlorophyll is the preferred ability to enable Exeggutor to sweep instead of using Harvest to stall opponents. Wish support from Alomomola can be helpful when Exeggutor's HP gets low, espeically through multiple uses of Substitute. Furthermore, they have pretty good synergy with each other. Another sun sweeper such as Victreebel can utilize the sun in the event that Exeggutor faints or gets forced out. A Rock- or Ground-type teammate such as Regirock helps provide opportunities for Exeggutor to set up, as they attract Water- and Ground-types. Such teammates can also help deal with Pokemon that consistently threatens Exeggutor, such as Skuntank. Heat Rock is a viable alternative to consider as it prolongs the sun turns and lengthens sweeps, making it possible to sweep an entire team in a single shot. Life Orb can be used to bolster Exeggutor's already magnificent firepower but it depletes Exeggutor's HP rather quickly along with Substitute. Giga Drain gives Exeggutor greater longevity at the cost of doing significantly less damage than with SolarBeam. Synthesis can be used over Substitute or Psyshock but the loss of either usually causes too much problems for it to be worthwhile. Although Exeggutor uses Sunny Day, it still fits well on some non-sun teams as a standalone sweeper as it can set up sun all by itself and sweep.</p>

GP 1/2

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Exeggutor is pretty good at sweeping, especially under sun, it is prone to revenge killing and is stopped cold by several Pokemon in the tier. This set allows Exeggutor to circumvent some of the problems it usually faces, making it harder to take down while still retaining most of its sweeping potential. Exeggutor trades a coverage move, which it might not even use much, for Substitute. Substitute lets Exeggutor avoid revenge killing and, thus getting past several of its usual checks, while also reducing the need to predict against Sucker Punch users. Once Exeggutor hits the field, the first move to use is usually Substitute. If possible, the next turn can be used to set up Sunny Day and commence the sweep. Substitute is invaluable on this set, as Exeggutor can then take down several of its usual checks by itself with an intact Substitute. For example, Choice Scarf Rotom-S can no longer check Exeggutor even without sun as the Substitute can take an Air Slash while Exeggutor KOes it with Psyshock. Swellow, who is faster without sun, is always held in a lose-lose situation when faced with a Substitute. Throwing up another Substitute as Swellow attacks lets Exeggutor continue to hide behind a Substitute while it U-turns out, or set up Sunny Day as it uses Brave Bird, making Swellow an easy kill.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Substitute prevents Exeggutor from being revenge killed by Sucker Punch users such as Absol, but take note that Exeggutor can still be revenge killed, especially when it sacrifices its Substitute to take down a Pokemon. As such Exeggutor is still rather hard to be taken down by quicker Pokemon and priority users. Sunny Day is equally useful for Exeggutor as well. With Sunny Day, Exeggutor becomes a self-sufficient sun sweeper as it no longer has to rely on the sun provided by its teammates. Furthermore, Sunny Day works well in tandem with Substitute, as with a Subsitute intact when the sun fades, Exeggutor can usually set it up again safely and continue to wreck the opponent's team. The five turns of sunlight are usually enough for Exeggutor to cause irreversible damage to the opponent and if it isn't, Exeuggutor can always set it up again when it gets another opportunity to do so. With consistent sun available through the use of Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a reliable Grass-type STAB attack that can easily blast through many Pokemon. It even 2HKOes Tangela after Stealth Rock damage. Psyshock fills in the final slot nicely, taking care of special walls such as Cryogonal and easily handles Magmortar. It also hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss super effectively. With just two attacking moves, Exeggutor is already hard enough to wall. Leftovers is the item of choice to enable Exeggutor to replenish its health and make multiple Substitutes. While it might not posses as much power as with a Choice Specs or Life Orb, this set is better at sweeping more consistently and setting up sun.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Speed and Special Attack while the remaining 4 EVs are placed into Defense instead of HP to reduce the HP taken by Substitute. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Choice Scarf users, such as Rotom-S, under sun, while a Modest nature can be used for extra power. Psychic is an alternative to Psyshock as it has higher Base Power, but most of what Psychic hits is already heavily dented by SolarBeam, and Psyshock allows Exeggutor to bypass some special walls. Chlorophyll is the preferred ability to enable Exeggutor to sweep instead of using Harvest to stall opponents. Wish support from Alomomola can be helpful when Exeggutor's HP gets low, espeically through multiple uses of Substitute. Furthermore, they have pretty good synergy with each other. Another sun sweeper such as Victreebel can utilize the sun in the event that Exeggutor faints or gets forced out. A Rock- or Ground-type teammate such as Regirock (Insert Ground-type here!) helps provide opportunities for Exeggutor to set up, as they attract Water- and Ground-types. Such teammates can also help deal with Pokemon that consistently threatens Exeggutor, such as Skuntank. Heat Rock is a viable alternative to consider as it prolongs the sun turns and lengthens sweeps, making it possible to sweep an entire team in a single shot. Life Orb can be used to bolster Exeggutor's already magnificent firepower but it depletes Exeggutor's HP rather quickly along with Substitute. Giga Drain gives Exeggutor greater longevity at the cost of doing significantly less damage than with SolarBeam. Synthesis can be used over Substitute or Psyshock but the loss of either usually causes too much problems for it to be worthwhile. Although Exeggutor uses Sunny Day, it still fits well on some non-sun teams as a standalone sweeper as it can set up sun all by itself and sweep.</p>

sandshrewz

POTATO
updated. Thanks TrollFreak! Not stamping because the lack of changes scares me @_@ could someone else look over too? >.> thanks! haha

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Exeggutor is pretty good at sweeping, especially under sun, it is prone to revenge killing and is stopped cold by several Pokemon in the tier. This set allows Exeggutor to circumvent some of the problems it usually faces, making which makes it harder to take down while and still retaining retains most of its sweeping potential. Exeggutor trades a coverage move, which it might not even use much, for Substitute. Substitute lets Exeggutor avoid revenge killing, thus getting past several of its usual checks while also reducing the need to predict against Sucker Punch users. Once Exeggutor hits the field, the first move to use is usually Substitute. If possible, the next turn can be used to set up Sunny Day and commence the sweep. Substitute is invaluable on this set, as Exeggutor can then take down several of its usual checks by itself with an intact Substitute. For example, Choice Scarf Rotom-S can no longer check Exeggutor even without sun as the Substitute can take an Air Slash while Exeggutor KOes it with Psyshock. Swellow, who is faster without sun, is always held in a lose-lose situation when faced with a Substitute. Throwing up another Substitute as Swellow attacks lets Exeggutor continue to hide behind a Substitute while it U-turns out, or set up Sunny Day as it uses Brave Bird, making Swellow an easy kill.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, Substitute prevents Exeggutor from being revenge killed by Sucker Punch users such as Absol, but take note that Exeggutor can still be revenge killed, especially when it sacrifices its Substitute to take down a Pokemon. As such Exeggutor is still rather hard to be taken down by quicker Pokemon and priority users. Sunny Day is equally useful for Exeggutor as well. With Sunny Day, Exeggutor becomes a self-sufficient sun sweeper as it no longer has to rely on the sun provided by its teammates. Furthermore, Sunny Day works well in tandem with Substitute, as with a Substitute intact when the sun fades, Exeggutor can usually set it up again safely and continue to wreck the opponent's team. The five turns of sunlight are usually enough for Exeggutor to cause irreversible damage to the opponent and, if it isn't, Exeuggutor can always set it up again when it gets another opportunity to do so. With consistent sun available through the use of Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a reliable Grass-type STAB attack that can easily blast through many Pokemon. It even 2HKOes Tangela after Stealth Rock damage. Psyshock fills in the final slot nicely,; taking it takes care of special walls such as Cryogonal and easily handles Magmortar. It also hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss for super effectively damage. With just two attacking moves, Exeggutor is already hard enough to wall. Leftovers is the item of choice to enable Exeggutor to replenish its health and make multiple Substitutes. While it might not posses as much power as with a Choice Specs or Life Orb, this set is better at sweeping more consistently and setting up sun.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Speed and Special Attack while the remaining 4 EVs are placed into Defense instead of HP to reduce the HP taken by Substitute. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Choice Scarf users, such as Rotom-S, under sun, while a Modest nature can be used for extra power (maybe say a couple of KOes a Modest nature gets that a Timid doesn't? Up to you). Psychic is an alternative to Psyshock as it has higher Base Power, but most of what Psychic hits is already heavily dented by SolarBeam, and Psyshock allows Exeggutor to bypass some special walls (such as?). Chlorophyll is the preferred ability to as it enables Exeggutor to sweep instead of using Harvest to stall opponents. Wish support from Alomomola can be helpful when Exeggutor's HP gets low, espeically especially through after multiple uses of Substitute. Furthermore, they the two have pretty good synergy with each other. Another sun sweeper such as Victreebel can utilize the sun in the event that Exeggutor faints or gets forced out. A Rock- or Ground-type teammate such as Regirock and Golem helps provide opportunities for Exeggutor to set up, as they attract Water- and Ground-types. Such teammates can also help deal with Pokemon that consistently threatens Exeggutor, such as Skuntank. Heat Rock is a viable alternative to consider as it prolongs the sun turns and lengthens sweeps, making it possible to sweep an entire team in a single shot. Life Orb can be used to bolster Exeggutor's already magnificent firepower but it depletes Exeggutor's HP rather quickly along with Substitute. Giga Drain gives Exeggutor greater longevity at the cost of doing significantly less damage than with SolarBeam. Synthesis can be used over Substitute or Psyshock but the loss of either usually causes too much many problems for it to be worthwhile. Although Exeggutor uses Sunny Day, it still fits well on some non-sun teams as a standalone sweeper as it can set up sun all by itself and sweep (you've already mentioned this so I don't think it's absolutely necessary).</p>
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Exeggutor is pretty good at sweeping, especially under sun, it is prone to revenge killing and is stopped cold by several Pokemon in the tier. This set allows Exeggutor to circumvent some of the problems it usually faces, which makes it harder to take down and still retains most of its sweeping potential. Exeggutor trades a coverage move, which it might not even use much, for Substitute. Substitute lets Exeggutor avoid revenge killing, thus getting past several of its usual checks while also reducing the need to predict against Sucker Punch users. Once Exeggutor hits the field, the first move to use is usually Substitute. If possible, the next turn can be used to set up Sunny Day and commence the sweep. Substitute is invaluable on this set, as Exeggutor can then take down several of its usual checks by itself with an intact Substitute. For example, Choice Scarf Rotom-S can no longer check Exeggutor even without sun as the Substitute can take an Air Slash while Exeggutor KOes it with Psyshock. Swellow, who is faster without sun, is always held in a lose-lose situation when faced with a Substitute. Throwing up another Substitute as Swellow attacks lets Exeggutor continue to hide behind a Substitute while it U-turns out, or set up Sunny Day as it uses Brave Bird, making Swellow an easy kill.</p>

<p>Substitute prevents Exeggutor from being revenge killed by Sucker Punch users such as Absol, but take note that Exeggutor can still be revenge killed, especially when it sacrifices its Substitute to take down a Pokemon. As such Exeggutor is still rather hard to be taken down by quicker Pokemon and priority users. Sunny Day is equally useful for Exeggutor as well. With Sunny Day, Exeggutor becomes a self-sufficient sun sweeper as it no longer has to rely on the sun provided by its teammates. Furthermore, Sunny Day works well in tandem with Substitute, as with a Substitute intact when the sun fades, Exeggutor can usually set it up again safely and continue to wreck the opponent's team. The five turns of sunlight are usually enough for Exeggutor to cause irreversible damage to the opponent and, if it isn't, Exeggutor can always set it up again when it gets another opportunity to do so. With consistent sun available through the use of Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a reliable Grass-type STAB attack that can easily blast through many Pokemon. It even 2HKOes Tangela after Stealth Rock damage. Psyshock fills in the final slot nicely,; it takes care of special walls such as Cryogonal and easily handles Magmortar. It also hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss for super effective damage. With just two attacking moves, Exeggutor is already hard enough to wall. Leftovers is the item of choice to enable Exeggutor to replenish its health and make multiple Substitutes. While it might not posses as much power as with a Choice Specs or Life Orb, this set is better at sweeping more consistently and setting up sun.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Speed and Special Attack while the remaining 4 EVs are placed into Defense instead of HP to reduce the HP taken by Substitute. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Choice Scarf users, such as Rotom-S, under sun, while a Modest nature can be used for extra power. Psychic is an alternative to Psyshock as it has higher Base Power, but most of what Psychic hits is already heavily dented by SolarBeam, and Psyshock allows Exeggutor to bypass some special walls. Chlorophyll is the preferred ability as it enables Exeggutor to sweep instead of using Harvest to stall opponents. Wish support from Alomomola can be helpful when Exeggutor's HP gets low, especially after multiple uses of Substitute. Furthermore, the two have pretty good synergy with each other. Another sun sweeper such as Victreebel can utilize the sun in the event that Exeggutor faints or gets forced out. A Rock- or Ground-type teammate such as Regirock and Golem helps provide opportunities for Exeggutor to set up, as they attract Water- and Ground-types. Such teammates can also help deal with Pokemon that consistently threatens Exeggutor, such as Skuntank. Heat Rock is a viable alternative to consider as it prolongs the sun turns and lengthens sweeps, making it possible to sweep an entire team in a single shot. Life Orb can be used to bolster Exeggutor's already magnificent firepower but it depletes Exeggutor's HP rather quickly along with Substitute. Giga Drain gives Exeggutor greater longevity at the cost of doing significantly less damage than with SolarBeam. Synthesis can be used over Substitute or Psyshock but the loss of either usually causes too many problems for it to be worthwhile. Although Exeggutor uses Sunny Day, it still fits well on some non-sun teams as a standalone sweeper.</p>

GP approved 2/2

there weren't many changes cos it was such a good analysis... :)

sandshrewz

POTATO
Done. Thanks SkullCandy! But a few things to note:

• your first use of 'which' might cause it to infer that the subject is the 'problems' instead of Exeggutor itself
  • I changed your semicolon to 'as' as the first clause isn't really strong enough to warrant a semicolon although it can be a complete sentence by itself
  • x hits y super effectively is correct too. I prefer that over super effective damage haha >.>
Any other changes I didn't implement are just my preference to conclude / avoid repeating stuff. Hope that didn't offend you haha >.> Nice catches here and there overall.

This is ready for upload! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)