[Expert] Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Mafia Sign-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hosted by UncleSam and Walrein
[13:36] <Mekkah> eh im fine with it <=rousing approval right there

FAQ: Since if I don’t put this first I’ll get asked these time and time again...
Q: “I thought you retired?”
A: Yes I am done playing mafia, but I spent like a year designing this game and have nothing to do over the next four weeks of break so I’d rather not let all that time go to waste.
Q: “Another Metroid mafia?”
A: There was a LOT more time and thought put into this mafia than there was put into Metroid Prime 1. And I am not Jigglypuffers42. And it’s been ten months since this theme was used.
Q: “What can I do to get into this game?”
A: For the most part your likelihood of getting in is already established...either I know you can play mafia or I don’t (or, even worse, I know that you can’t play mafia). However, joining #aether and indicating that you know something about Metroid Prime 2 (i.e. have played the game) in your sign up post certainly can’t hurt.

Rules and Regulations (I suggest you read these, since this game will make no sense if you don’t):
1. Do not do anything to screw up the game, for all of our sakes. This is by far the most important rule, and requires you to exercise some common sense. This includes but is not limited to deadtalking to users/aliases not mentioned in your role PM, posting screenshots of any kind, c/ping your role PM during Night 0, impersonation of any kind, and other behavior that is generally not allowed in mafia games. You should all know the basic rules if you are in this game, so I am using this as a catch-all so I can get to the rules that are more pertinent to this specific game.

2. Each user will have an alias based on the alias list below these rules (US edit: an alias list will be in the OP but will not be in the sign up thread). Every alias is used exactly once. The reason there are thirty-four aliases and only thirty players is that there are four aliases assigned to specific temples (see rule 3). All actions in this game target aliases, but apart from that this is not at all like a standard-issue anonymous game. For one, all votes will be posted in this thread, by the actual Smogon user. For two, there is no anonymous board at all--you will have to prove your alias via either the lynch system (see rule 4) or the anonymous messaging system (see rule 5).

3. As (briefly) mentioned above, there are what I call “temples” in this game: the Agon, Torvus, Sanctuary, and Sky Temples. Each of these temples is assigned an alias. In short, your goal is either (depending on your win condition) to “unlock” or “protect” each individual temple. Each temple has a specific number of keys assigned to it that must all be used to unlock it. A key is considered an item, and you must be holding a key to use it or give it to someone else. If you believe you have found the alias of a temple, during the night and rather than submitting any other individual actions (you may still perform factional actions) you may submit a PM titled “NX-Using the <Temple Name> Temple Key(s) #x, (#y), (#z), etc on <Aliasx>, <Aliasy>, <Aliasz>, etc”. You will use all the temple key(s) you specify on the temple(s) you specify (in other words, if you idle an action, you can use as many keys as you are holding and want to use).

Passing a key (or any other item) to a temple will result in a failed pass. Additionally, you may steal from a temple to gain any keys that have been used on it, you may safeguard a temple to block thieves, and you may choose to idle individual abilities and instead protect a temple by sending in a PM titled “NX-Protecting <Alias>”. When a temple is protected, no keys can be used on it. Thieves and safeguards will still work, however, though safeguards will not stop key usage. Additionally, if you send an anonymous message to a temple alias stating either “Are you a temple?” or “Are you the temple of <Temple Name>?”, the following day you will receive an answer from that alias of “Yes”. Beware, however, as other users can also send you a fake “Yes” in order to appear as a temple. All actions other than temple protections, safeguards, thieves, or key usage will fail should they target a temple.

Finally, if you finish a temple (defined as the last person to use a key on a finished temple OR, if used concurrently, the user of the lowest numbered key) you will get a new ability, and you will open up the temple to the holders of the energy transfer modules. There are four energy transfer modules in the game (these are also items), and each one may only hold the energy for one temple. It will be announced publicly whenever a temple is restored, and the next night, rather than using any individual abilities, a holder of an energy transfer module may submit a PM titled “NX-Using Energy Transfer Module #x to capture the Temple of <Temple Name>”. Capturing the energy of a temple grants the holder of that transfer module a new ability. If two holders attempt to capture a temple’s energy, the lowest numbered module will receive it; however, if three or more holders attempt to capture a temple’s energy, the highest numbered module will receive it. I will tell you all that the rewards for both finishing a temple and for capturing it’s energy are significant, and are worth attempting to finish a temple for even if it is not mentioned in your win condition. Note that the temples will lock into their states at the end of Night 7, so any temples unrestored at that point will be permanently unrestored. This could result in the auto-loss of certain factions (as could all temples being restored), so fulfill your temple win conditions by the end of Night 7.

4. Just like in Metroid Prime Mafia, there will be a three-votes lynch system in this game. Unlike in Metroid Prime, this will be the only stage to voting, and unlike in Metroid Prime, I will announce all the aliases that vote for each of the three top vote getters each day. Every user will have a “Lynch affects” segment of his or her PM detailing what will happen if he or she receives the first, second, or third most votes in any given lynch. Additionally, when posting a vote, please post three aliases in order and in bold, preferably in the below format:
1. Vote Alias1
2. Vote Alias2
3. Vote Alias3
Should <Alias1>, <Alias2>, and <Alias3> be the top three users voted for in this particular day, the alias of the user who voted for them will be displayed at the end of the day, along with the aliases of everyone else who voted for each of those two specific persons (the vote display is for each individual person, not for the three as a whole). Note that in the above format you will cast 3 votes for Alias1, 2 votes for Alias2, and 1 vote for Alias3 (assuming you do not have any role abilities affecting how many votes you have). However, (and I will only say this once, so pay careful attention) there are a variety of abilities in this game that affect who is shown as having voted for what alias during any given day, so do not take the displayed alias list at the conclusion of each day as being 100% accurate. If you change votes, both edit out the bold in the original vote AND make a new post reflecting your new vote.

Finally, lynch affects can be either positive or negative, with one exception: the first lynch affect of every single role in the game is “Lynched”. In other words, the top vote-getter will always get lynched, bar use of day abilities or protections. Stealth lynches are legal, though I wish you the best of luck with them...you’ll need it.

5. Every day and night, most roles may send exactly one anonymous message to another alias. These are most strategically used to either verify your alias to someone else or to locate temples (see rule 3). You may alter what anonymous message you would like to send as long as you do so before the end of any given day/night cycle, as I send anonymous messages as part of the turn results. Please send anonymous messages along with all other actions you may have for that turn, for the sake of my limited inbox size.

6. Being killed is the end of the game unless you have another alias mentioned in your role PM, in which case you may talk to the person who that alias corresponds to and only the person that alias corresponds to.

7. The game will start on Night 0. No abilities will be valid Night 0 except for anonymous messaging. Night 0 is primarily reserved for working on fake claims, and will be only 24 hours long. Day 1, all normal abilities become valid and the game will progress normally from there.

8. There are items in this game (obviously). You may pass items to another user during any day or night by submitting a PM titled “N/DX-Sending <Item> to <Alias>”. Just like all other actions in this game, if you receive no notice of it failing, assume the action succeeded. Items are passed to killers on night deaths, and are passed to a specific person based on which faction cast the most votes for the lynched user if lynched.

9. Conversions are not only possible but probable. Do not trust someone just because they were on your team three nights ago. If an alias is mentioned in your role PM, however, you may trust that alias.

10. Activity is paramount. Because of the way the factions are set up, idling for even one cycle could screw your faction over. As such, consider this your warning: get your PMs in or I will sub you out. Also, be active on IRC or I may sub you out even if you manage to get PMs in on time. The official channel for this game is #aether. If you create a separate one, feel free to notify me, but note that I do not necessarily require you to share any channels or spreadsheets you create with me...though you are certainly welcome to!

11. I am human and make mistakes. There will probably be grammatical errors in some of the role PMs, and I may make hosting mistakes. Please keep this in mind and try not to get unnecessarily angry if I do muck something up.

12. Do not edit a post made during a half-cycle after the deadline for that half-cycle for any reason. You may (and are indeed required to) edit lynch votes during the day to which they correspond, but all other editing is banned, as is editing lynch votes after the conclusion of the day for which they were made.

13. Do not ask about priorities.

14. All factional abilities (kills, steals, and team abilities) work in the following manner: if exactly one member of the faction to which the ability corresponds sends in a PM to use it, it will be used. If more than one send in a PM, no one will use it successfully, though if the ability can only be used on a limited basis (for example, once every three nights), other users in the faction who have not yet attempted to use it may still try. Note that any individual user may not send in a PM to perform the action in question more than the limit (so in the above example, no user in the faction may send in a PM to perform the action more than once every three nights), and the ability will never be successful more often than the stated limit.

15. I have provided roughly half of you with safe claims which contain win condition, team ability, and a safe role name to claim to a given faction. I will post all team abilities exactly as they appear in PMs in the OP, as well as the PM template I used to create all role PMs in this game. Outside of that, you are on your own in creating fake claims.

16. Every single role in this game improves under certain conditions, and in almost all cases those conditions are not made explicit or are even hinted at in a user’s Role PM. If you seem to have gotten a bad role at the start, just give it some time...it might turn into a monster. No promises, though!

17. If you want to fake a log, just PM me and I will help in any way I can. If you ever have a question about the rules, I highly encourage you to come and ask me yourself.

18. There will be 30 players in this game.

19. When a faction achieves its win condition, it leaves the game. When a second faction achieves its win condition, the game ends and anyone left loses.

Oh, and I suspect that getting to thirty players may be difficult, so I encourage everyone who has played in a game of mafia on Smogon to sign up. Worst case is you don’t get picked.

Remember that this is handpicked, so no need to post your priority. Though I may take how many games people are currently playing in into account when I decide who is in and who is not...

It is finals week for me so this game will not start until Thursday or Friday (in the US). So you have plenty of time to sign up!

Oh and in case this wasn’t clear from Rule 10 if you don’t join #aether during sign ups your chances of getting into this game will be decreased significantly.

List of cool users (i.e. those who have signed up):
-Daenym
-Steven Snype
-shinyskarmory
-Paperblade
-Ditto
-theangryscientist
-LightWolf
-Nachos
-midou
-zorbees
-Flamestrike
-kingofkongs
-smashlloyd20
-Quagsires
-macle
-Da Letter El
-Veedrock
-Ace Emerald
-billymills
-LonelyNess
-MK Ultra
-Goldenknight
-Agape
-Mithril
-Accent
-General Spoon
-HD
-Blue_Tornado
-imperfectluck
-superrun10
-Crux
-Jalmont
-Yeti
-Altair
-reyscarface
-RBG
-askaninjask

The other users who have signed up:
-Spiffy

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel like the cohost needs to make an obligatory post in the signup thread.

So I'd like to say that if you wanna request a role, please PM me and/or via Smogon PM or IRC.

I feel obligated to sign up because I was in the first game, but I also didn't do so well in that game.

I'll roll with it. I'm weary about rule 4 but I trust you'll do it in a way that's not immediately compromising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)