Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I use it on now is Shell Smash Cloyster and it still works fine as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it deserves all of the complaints it gets in B/W

This is disappointing, but was to be expected. Imagine this in a triple battle, destroying 3 of the opponents pokemon at once. Broken.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I never liked Explosion because people would always switch to their ghosts whenever I tried to blow up! I don't mind this change at all.
Methinks that's because you no longer rely on it. Nerfing Explosion was not a good idea - decrease base power, maybe, something else if everyone thinks it's so ridiculously overpowered - but that Defense cut is a problem. Every generation, Blissey gets tougher to kill. (Except for Psychic-types, but my Heatran and Magnezone are still fucked.) This is not a bitter rant - I've adapted to bypass the problem - but I still think it's wrong somehow.

All these people complaining about Blissey getting harder to kill - do you EVER carry physical sweepers? And with fighting type moves/pokes getting so popular, it's hard not to have a team with at least one poke that can take out Blissey. That's one poke I have honestly never had a problem with.

Blaziken - Hi Jump Kick
Infernape - Close Combat
Conkeldurr - lol
Machamp - lol
Breloom - Focus Punch; there are so many sub-punching Brelooms on PO that Blissey should never cause a problem
Reuniclus (with psycho shock)
Weavile - Brick Break, Night Slash , Ice Punch will all 2KO
Tyranitar - EQ

most of those pokemon with +1 atk (sp atk for Reuniclus) can OHKO Blissey. Explosion was broken, and I don't mind the change at all.

Heck, you could even troll Blissey to death with Sigilyph if you wanted

I dislike how it got nerfed, but it's also good. Explosion did way too much damage in 4th gen. I do kinda miss it, but I think it's for the best.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
the whole point of explosion was that it was a last resort. You're low on health, so you blow up, and something DOES die. Now, it's something with low physical defense will PROBABLY die. I don't like it.

Tyranitar - EQ
Why non-STAB EQ when you could be Crunching, Superpowering, or Stone Edging?

Anyway, as sad as it is, I run Explosion on Gigalith; off that Attack stat it still demolishes things. As has been said, TR Bronzong could use it for the free switch-in too.

Why is everyone complaining about Explosion being nerfed? It's still the most powerful move in the game, and can severely cripple, if not KO, almost anything that doesn't resist it.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The nerf is huge. A super-effective STAB move or a 'double STAB' (either due to weather effect or Ability) oftentimes out-damages Explosion. I would have preferred reverting back to the RBY base power (Selfdestruct - 260, Explosion - 340). It's not as destructive as 400 / 500 Self-KO moves, but it has considerable power, enough to distinguish itself from high-powered non-self-KO moves that exist in BW.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
I dunno if it's worth using in the long run...especially for the nerf in this Gen.
Besides, there are many ways to kill a rat, besides blowing up.

I agree it could be a last resort, but your opponent might be tricky and smart.
Maybe this picture will help you understand... :p

I never noticed a difference... Most Special Attackers using Explosion never seemed to OHKO my bulky monsters, even without resistance in Gen IV. Although, I'm gonna miss my Exploding Azelf not being able to KO Blissey, but at least I still have other members for that. Plus most Explosions I used were more to just dent something and then switch in a counter.
Why are so many people complaining of Blissey? I use Mixnite and it OHKOs Bold Max HP Max Def Blisseys with Superpower... Pretty much ANY mixed attacker stops Blissey.
Plus Psyshock. Although I think that won't help if Blissey T-waves after the first hit. (which is what I'm still seeing nowadays).

Explosion can be good. Whenever I run it, I am either running Heatran or Azelf. For Heatran, I use it to bait out Blissey and Chansey. Explosion will leave a large dent in them and then they can be easily revenged. On Azelf, it is pretty good because it can do more than 50% and a pokemon, given its high base attack.
When everything is said though, Explosion isn't that good in Gen V. Also it sucks because it got majorly nerfed -_-

Yes, but an Azelf using Explosion on a Blissey might full well KO it and enable it to bring in the sweeper unscathed, instead of U-turning, dealing light damage and risk the sweeper being Toxic'd, paralysed or maybe had its Balloon broken by Seismic Toss.

Yea, but explosion isn't limited just to Blissey, it always dents whatever comes in on it because of its raw enourmous power.

Yea, but explosion isn't limited just to Blissey, it always dents whatever comes in on it because of its raw enourmous power.
Not any more after the nerf. Most Pokemon with good physical bulk or resistance to Explosion (Tyranitar, Scizor, Excadrill...) can switch in on a move with effective 125 BP and tank the hit. On the other hand, Azelf dies. I guess it does provide you with some momentum, but U-Turning on the switch-in also provides momentum without Azelf dying.

Also posting to say that Forretress has better things to do than Explode. Volt Switch anyone?

Idk what qtf means, but vol switch is good because it keeps fortress alive longer, and as he has great physical bulk, he can help in walling physical attacker, at least a few, anyways. Explosion is still really strong, just because it isn't as strong as it was in gen IV doesn't make it weak. And as for switching in resistances, prediction.

Idk what qtf means, but vol switch is good because it keeps fortress alive longer, and as he has great physical bulk, he can help in walling physical attacker, at least a few, anyways. Explosion is still really strong, just because it isn't as strong as it was in gen IV doesn't make it weak. And as for switching in resistances, prediction.
QFT = "Quoted for truth"

Why is everyone complaining about Explosion being nerfed? It's still the most powerful move in the game, and can severely cripple, if not KO, almost anything that doesn't resist it.
qft

It still has 250 pwr. Okay, it doesn't KO pokemon that resist it- moves are supposed to KO pokemon that resist them. That's the whole point of resists. *eyeroll*

A few months ago I said it was still usable, I take that back. The only thing I use it on now is a suicide setup lead Bronzong and that's only because I need it to faint. It does occasionally take care of a frail Pokémon but it's not an offensive powerhouse like it used to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)