Extreme Pokemon Makeover Contest Redesign Time! (See Post #41)

What Pokemon Line Should Be Redesigned?

• Chikorita

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Fatecrasher's Suggestion (See Post #19)

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Klink

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • The Three Regis

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Trubbish

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Vullaby

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edit: Ignore this post, see post #41 for your challenge!

Approved by Hipmonlee

~Round One~

Welcome to the Extreme Pokemon Makeovers Contest! Created by Hipmonlee, this contest intends to redesign a pokemon line which we feel have a great concept, but is executed poorly in its appearance and design. This round features a pokemon which many people hate for its needless extravagant patterns, its sluggish appearance, and the fact that it breaks away from the badass fire-starter tradition. Sure, Typhlosion wasn't that badass, but at least it didn't have a poor design, unlike...

Round TWO:
Redesign the Tepig line.

Yep, this Pokemon line is arguably GameFreak's worst invention yet, in terms of starter-pokemon lines. Of course, it is hard to come up with great fire-type pokemon designs. Sure, there have been some excellent ones in the past, such as Charizard or Magmortar, but when you look at Pokemon such as Heatmor and Slugma, it kinda balances things out. Tepig is a good design; it's simple, clean, and overall cute. However, as we move further along the evolution chain, things start to look bleak. Pignite's design is poor; it looks more like an obese rabbit than a pig. Its stubby arms doesn't make sense when giving it the Fighting-type, coupled with it's overweight appearance. Still, it could be worse, it could be Emboar, who is plagued by Pignite's problems, but then introduces needless and confusing patterns.

The main reason fire-types are so hard to design is the overall lack of more sources of fire. Magma and lava, burning fire, and the colour red are the only three features we see in almost every Fire-type pokemon. Flames stuck on Pokemon are becoming increasingly tacky, whilst Magma and Lava has already been done in almost every way. I see colouring the Pokemon red as a cheap way to make it fire-type, unless it has another fire-type attribute included. (Look at Vulpix.)

So your job is to redesign the line. Of course, you must keep to the Tepig line's overall basic concept: A pig/boar pokemon, and a fire/fighting type. After that, be creative and come up with good ideas! Let's set up some ground rules:

• Design matters as well as art! Just because you're not an excellent artist doesn't mean you shouldn't participate! If your design is great, and you prove that you're inventive, then that will be noted by the judges.
  • Sketches, supporting artwork and your basic thought process behind your Pokeon chain are all permitted.
  • WIPs are permitted, although spamming is disallowed. Be sensible with the amount of times you post your WIPs/Finished Product in this thread.
  • Feedback and comments are definitely welcome by non-judges.
  • You can still participate if you didn't participate in Round 1.
DEADLINE: January 1st

Judges will be Kevin Garrett, Quanyails and myself. We will each provide a rating out of 10 for your finished product, accompanied by comments on why we feel the product deserved that score.

Good luck, and get designing!

O.K, quick update here; to provide more incentive, the winner and the two runner-ups will feature in The Smog! That is all.

EDIT: Also, there's been a slight rule change regarding WIPs. Read the above post's rules to find it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, I've been waiting for this!

Coincides nicely with my December schedule too: Half the rest of the month spent reading for exams (all the while doodling ideas between my notes), the other half at home with plenty of time to draw.

Great initiative!

Well, guess I'll be the one starting this shit off despite wildly disagreeing with almost everything in the OP re: Pignite and Emboar's designs.

It's really fucking difficult to make a quadruped fighting pokemon that looks like one, apparently.

Edit:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
It's really fucking difficult to make a quadruped fighting pokemon that looks like one, apparently.
Indeed. Every single pure and primary Fighting type, save for Mankey and Primeape, are humanoid bipedals, and most of the rest are too. In fact, among all Fighting Pokémon, only the Swords of Justice (Keldeo included) are not bipedal.

This will be a toughie.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Emboar's design is amazing what are you smoking?!?!?! In the other hand, Serperior is too redundant with Sceptile, and Samurott looks like a Digimon

Hmm, since most people dislike the choice of the Tepig line (which is weird, because it was the opposite on #pokemon and many people agreed that Pignite and Emboar's design were poor on #smeargle), I'm pondering whether a new change of pokemon line should take place. (Sorry elcheeso). With that the most probable solution, to make at least most of the community in agreement with the pokemon choice, can I have everybody's idea on which pokemon should be chosen? I'll make a poll to decide which pokemon is chosen, from the suggestions...suggested.

Sorry for choosing this line then.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I nominate Hydreigon - the concept is cool, but they totally botched the design.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey don't apologise!!

i hope you don't feel like we've just stomped all over the thread either -- i think polling #pokemon and #smeargle to start is a fine idea, i guess emboar is just one of those lines that conflicts people

i'm not a big hydreigon fan either, pocket, but beware nj; she will stomp you

i still say the torchic line is a sore disappointment, but i know people at least like blaziken from it, even if the others are weak

strangely, i really loved oshawott and picked him as my starter in bw, but i feel like that line could have been done better too

ps i'm reading through r1 of this and rethinking my decision to turn down judging it again... it was a lot of fun!!

I don't understand how people can't love torchic and combusken... I really don't. Cyndaquil's line always seemed like the weakest family in terms of fire starters to me. But yeah. I think the problem is that there's no real definition for what constitutes bad design. It's all pretty subjective atm and is probably just more of a case of "what don't you like".

I believe an obvious choice (by constant "demand" from Gen V haters) would be the Trubbish line, though I'm sure equally many will disagree
...although personally I really look forward to remaking Chikorita line as kickass forest dinos
or the Serperior line as Grass/Dragon (the Smog!)
But apparently we aren't supposed to toy with the typing?

My head cannot grasp the complaints about Hydreigon it's exploding
And I see great potential in Smogon artists to create wackier fire/fighting chickens, but imo Blaziken's cool enough to settle.

On second thought, I believe our artists will be able to make a lot out of the Vullaby line. That design I cannot live with :(

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Actually, the decision on which Pokemon to pick for this thread was cut down to three; Tepig, Klink, and Timburr. Of course, these are all Gen V pokemon, so I'm gonna include pokemon in the poll from different gens as well. I'm going to reject Mr.Mime straight away because there is no place in Pokemon for a mime pokemon, and that constitutes under "poor concept" as well as poor design.

Err, I'll have 6 pokemon in the final poll. Yeah. I'll make the poll at around 4:30 tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i don't think you should be limiting this to redesigning whole lines, for instance, i find torchic, combusken, and trubbish all fine looking pokemon, but it's blaziken and garbador who let the whole evolution line down. it might be an idea to use an existing pokemon as a starting point and see what their evolution should have ideally looked like.

i don't think you should be limiting this to redesigning whole lines, for instance, i find torchic, combusken, and trubbish all fine looking pokemon, but it's blaziken and garbador who let the whole evolution line down. it might be an idea to use an existing pokemon as a starting point and see what their evolution should have ideally looked like.
Hmm... so say something like, Geodude-Graveler-Golem, where Golem is the Pokemon we're redesigning? That might work. I'm not going to go straight for this though; I'll include the suggestion in the poll and see if the Community decides on this. Of course, that will mean another poll to decide what the pokemon in question will be, if your suggestion is chosen.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Regice/Regirock/Registeel?
Trubbish/Garbodor? (I do happen to have a Garbodor redesign lying around already...)
Throh/Sawk?
Tepig line, without the "fighting" requirement?

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
we've established it's not the tepig line. i don't even know how you could miss that haha

regis would be very interesting :)

The regis could be good, but if so, I'd probably include all three as the same challenge; create your version of all three regis... (excluding regigigas).

My current poll so far:

Trubbish
Klink
Chikorita
The Three Regis
Fatecrasher's Suggestion(see post 19)

Although I'm still looking for one more... I have no beef with the Torchic line and the Vullaby line isn't that bad...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)