Extreme Pokemon Makeovers

I would be all over this but I am of the opinion that Vanillish is perfect.
I mean, it's a ghoul-aid ice cream made out of crystals.
To perfect the line I might just cut Vanilluxe.
Anyway, if I don't do this round, can I still enter the next? Because I would love to correct some bullshit designs.

Okay this thread is amazing, and I'm bored so here's some feedback for all the designs.

Yilx- I LOVE the French jousting ice cream knights! The subtle hints make it great, especially the moustaches. The colour choices are great and he build up of evolutions feels really natural. Love these ones, by maybe they look like they should be Steel-types.

spuds4ever- The colours are just a bit too bright in my opinion, and some of the angles of various cones/wafers seem a bit off perspective-wise. The last stage is p badass, but the second one looks kinda bored or something.

MikaDo- I like the concept of the adding of emotions, but the execution brings it down a little I think. The pink doesn't really seem to fit that well, and the cherry seems to be added on for the sake of adding on, but nice concept!

Furusoto/Master Win/SakurayuuzakiWhatever- It seems to have an element of a Ghost-typing in it, and the first and second forms seem nearly identical. Nice attempt to break away from a standard ice cream though!

Cobraroll- seems quite similar to the current line actually, but you can never go wrig with a moustache. Hard to make out details in its current faint pencil, but that is no fault of yours or of the concept, so yeah.

Bummer- Arabian ice creams! Lovely transition between designs and choice of colour: another top notch design.

Rest coming after dinner

[B said:
MikaDo[/B]- I like the concept of the adding of emotions, but the execution brings it down a little I think. The pink doesn't really seem to fit that well, and the cherry seems to be added on for the sake of adding on, but nice concept!
Thanks a lot, but what do you mean with execution? And it was supposed to be a strawberry ice cream :)

By the way, Yilx I hate you!
Everytime I think: "Wow, maybe I can win! And then you come to screw it up with an AMAZING design -_-"

I've tryed some thinks out, incuding a vanille version.

Vanille version

Strawberry version

Okay this thread is amazing, and I'm bored so here's some feedback for all the designs.

Yilx- I LOVE the French jousting ice cream knights! The subtle hints make it great, especially the moustaches. The colour choices are great and he build up of evolutions feels really natural. Love these ones, by maybe they look like they should be Steel-types.

spuds4ever- The colours are just a bit too bright in my opinion, and some of the angles of various cones/wafers seem a bit off perspective-wise. The last stage is p badass, but the second one looks kinda bored or something.

MikaDo- I like the concept of the adding of emotions, but the execution brings it down a little I think. The pink doesn't really seem to fit that well, and the cherry seems to be added on for the sake of adding on, but nice concept!

Furusoto/Master Win/SakurayuuzakiWhatever- It seems to have an element of a Ghost-typing in it, and the first and second forms seem nearly identical. Nice attempt to break away from a standard ice cream though!

Cobraroll- seems quite similar to the current line actually, but you can never go wrig with a moustache. Hard to make out details in its current faint pencil, but that is no fault of yours or of the concept, so yeah.

Bummer- Arabian ice creams! Lovely transition between designs and choice of colour: another top notch design.

Rest coming after dinner
Thanks Ritter. You can just call me furosuto. I wanted it to look like a mutant ice cream creature. It's a parasite really, so having have an alien look sort of went with the design.

One thing I like about this contest is that you don't need master line art and colouring skills to win. Just based on the cool design.

Also, Yilx, while I love that Knight Vanillite line, it just came to me that it seems a bit like escavalier in a way and they both come from the same gen. Still looks dang slick though.

Ok the deadline is coming closer and closer. If someone has a tip or just wanna say something about my evolution line, please say. If not, I'll go with my strawberry version (to see it just scroll up and find my earlier post)

Ok the deadline is coming closer and closer. If someone has a tip or just wanna say something about my evolution line, please say. If not, I'll go with my strawberry version (to see it just scroll up and find my earlier post)
If you are going to use the strawberry version change more than just the color

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yilx's art is cool as always, but that particular build reminds me too much of Escavalier x_x;; Bummer and NJ are my faves thus far :d

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My painting is messy I know.

stage one, two at bottom, then 3 at top right. There are supposed to be snowflakes at the top of 1 and 3 but the scanner did not have its way with me so here you go.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok, I think judges can all give marks out of ten and whatever feedback we feel useful and then we can add them up and hopefully someone wins.

Ok thanks fate!

Ok when are the judges ready?
And which evolution line is next?
And why is this taking so loooong?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok, here are my markings. I started out marking pretty generously, I started with 5/10 and gave marks for what I liked, and took away half marks for what I didnt.

But then one of the submissions got over 10/10 so then I deducted marks from everyone until it was left at a 10. This is so you understand what the marks mean, especially if you got a poor mark and thought I was just being a dick about it or something.

Here goes:

yoshikkkun
When I first saw this pic, you kinda explained it a little, but I actually got it straight away. Though, possibly that's because I knew I was looking at an ice-cream pokemon. But the thing is, I really like the fact that it is a bit subtle. I think it is great when you have a pokemon you have used on your team for years, and then one day you just look at it and you notice a detail you havent seen before, and you are like "woah shit, its tail is a can opener".
I think by the final evo though it does kinda start to lose the ice creaminess. Maybe its just a bit too subtle for me.. I think it ends up looking more like a cloud.
6/10

RitterCat
The ice shards from the original design where a pretty common device throughout the submissions, but I am really not sure why.. Maybe ice-creams are a little different here than in America, but, here, ice in your ice-cream is a sign you let it melt and then tried to refreeze it. It's gross. I dunno what they represent beyond iceness, but it should be clear enough that an ice-cream pokemon is an ice type.
Otherwise, I appreciate that you kept things simple, though, I think in this case, it might have been a little too simple, and that's why you went with the ice shards. I think there might have been a better solution
5/10

Nastyjungle
Ok, using that colour scheme to convey the ice-creamness is such an elegant device, I love it. It lets you create something really true to the concept, while keeping it plausible and throws away the damn cone, which is a pretty awkward thing to incorporate into a pokemon design.
Then the perpetual state of meltingness is just something that tells you so much about the personality of this pokemon with just a couple of drips and a sticking out tongue. Still dont like the ice shards.
8.5/10

ZcX
Turning the cone into the body I think is a big improvement on the original form, in terms of making a believable creature. Though, I am not really sure whether these are designs of pokemon or nightmare before christmas characters
5/10

Bummer
The cherry is a really nice little touch, and incorporated really tidily. Also, the turban is a truly great example of the sort of personality that can be created with such a simple device. Though, admittedly it is extremely racist to say that because someone is wearing a turban it tells you a lot about that person. It kinda feels to me like in terms of cartoon monsters this is ok. My sincerest apologies to any Sikhs reading this.
The prevo does look a little more turdish than Turkish though.
8/10

Cobraroll

The icicle concept I really like. I am looking at the original line, trying to work out if that was something they were trying to include, and I cant really tell. Maybe its because I dont live in a place where icicles exist. But, if it was intended in the original design, it did a terrible job of conveying that to me. I guess it does add some justification to the ice shards thing.
The dual gender thing.. Part of me says, this is a cool idea, its a new take on the multiheaded pokemon cliche. But another part of me says, this game is for kids, and something about this just doesnt sit right. The again it is Japanese.
6/10

Furosuto
The enemy of lickitung thing gave me a good laugh. My issue with this is, ok it hides in its cone, but, how does it move the cone? There are some definite cases of real pokemon that confuse me like that, but that is the sort of thing that always kinda got on my nerves.
Otherwise this is one of the most original of the submissions. I really like the mouth, I think thats a great touch. I think with this design, perhaps you could have just left the original pokemon and said that you are redesigning the line to be a single stage evolution, rather than a three stage. I dunno if I made it clear enough that that sort of thing would be fine.
6/10

Mikado
I quite like this one. I have suggested before that perhaps the simple duplicating ice creams evolution line needs a little more, but, I think this design shows that even really simple things like the cherry, the slight melting around the mouth and the execution of the icicle-ness, which I think you have probably been the most successful at, is enough. The only thing I would say is perhaps reusing the faces and adding a new one each time seems a bit lazy to me, it would only take a really subtle change, but some development would have been nice.
7/10

spuds4ever
Ok, I like your originality here, but the execution isnt quite right. Like, I think to understand the prevo (or the middle evolution) I have to look at the final evolution to work out that the wafer things are how it moves, rather than just being wafers.
And then the final evo looks like it would be more suited to maybe a mario game than pokemon.
4.5/10

Yilx
On the whole, I am not really convinced these things are pokemon and not something from earthbound or something. There are little things that confuse me too, like, how the arms connect to the body seems to be hidden, but it seems like maybe it is hidden because you arent really sure how they connect either.
Oh, now I see RitterCat's post I see there is still more to this than I first realised. Combining an icecream cone with a lance is really the sort of brilliant visual pun that I love in pokemon, I just think that perhaps designwise it is quite difficult to incorporate, but maybe there is a nicer solution.
6.5/10

Fatecrashers
Exactly! It's an icecream cone. If there isnt anyone around holding it, its going to fall over. And then, what you get left with is a piece of tragic nostalgia in perfectly sensible pokemon form.
And then from that, the evolution is derived perfectly. Everything is there and it all makes sense. And with the cone, that becomes a hat, and then becomes a carrot nose, you just have, a perfectly executed three way visual pun. I would ditch the hat entirely on the final evo tbh, just go with the nose. You dont need it any more.
I mentioned I like that colourscheme, but now it just looks like you stole it off nj. Also, you have already perfectly established ice-creamism, I just dont think you need it.
10/10 Lets petition coyotte and aesoft to use this as the vanillite line sprites instead

Layell
Ok, these are a little too hard to follow, but if in the final evolution, the cone is a beard, then I think that is a nice touch. At least because I cant really follow much, I cant mark you down too hard.
..In hindsight, and with the scaling, I actually did mark you down pretty hard.
4/10

Aw, thanks man! I try and go original with my designs, so I'm glad you liked it.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but it hangs from rooftops in caves, like icicles do. It lies in wait for it's prey to come by.

And yeah, I didn't see the part about you can make it just a 1 stage evo.

Actually, that raises a good question. If we are faced with a pokemon that doesn't evolve, or only evolves once, can we give it a pre evo or an evo?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
Remember there are two more judges to come.

I think I will leave details to a round by round basis. I'll try to be clearer in future.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh well, I did mediocre, but I think it was really great to get such detailed feedback on all the entries. Kudos, Hipmonlee!

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wow, that's a detailled comment. I really appreciate it, sorry it didn't coin in well with you though :(

Wait it looks like my question didn't get answered last time
Can I do the second round even though I didn't do the first
thxguys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)