Extreme Pokemon Makeovers

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yoshikkkun
First off, what I liked about your creations is that I can see them being actual pokemon and show a clear transition between stage 1, 2, and 3. I also found your artistic style to be quite attractive. However, I seem to see the first two stages as being cupcakes and not quite ice cream-esque.
5/10

RitterCat
I see that you have followed the standard concept with 1 cone, then 2, then 3. This is good in that it follows the design prompt well, however, I think you could have used some more creativity. Another thing I could see improvement on is that I cannot imagine your creations being actual pokemon, they seem quite sad and hostile.
4/10

Nastyjungle
This submission immediately caught my eye when I first saw it and instantly fell in love. The main highlight of this piece is that it follows the design prompt and takes a creative angle at it instead of the generic path. I also love how there is a significant transition in between each stage which was lacking in GameFreak’s ice cream line. And the final half polar bear/half neapolitan ice cream form is awesome.
10/10

ZcX
Umm what to say about this one? The first form seems solid, a menancing little ice cream guy. However, the second and third forms really are quite hideous and do not seem to pokemon or ice cream-like whatsoever.
3.5/10

Bummer
This series does seem to be quite charming and as Hipmonlee said, the cherry is a very nice touch. I like this one as it seems to show a lot of personality and I seem to see a baby, boy, papa transition
7.5/10

cobraroll
I really enjoyed the flavor text, however, your designs seem to be too similar to the original designs for my liking.
4.5/10

Furosuto
I will give you points for creativity as this one did give me a laugh. However, I am not seeing much of a change between the 2? stages other than an extra head and larger spikes.
5/10

MikaDo
I like how you weren’t afraid to try a totally new color-scheme and I definitely think you put it to good use. Also I like how each separate scoop of ice cream seems to have its own personality. I think you could have made it better by adding more transition between the stages.
6/10

spuds4ever
These creations made me laugh due to their outlandish designs. However, they do not seem pokemon-like and look like a random collaboration of ice-cream related items thrown together
4/10

Yilk
I really liked the color scheme used in this line and the creative take on the concept. I think you could have improved upon it by showing a bit more transition between the second and third stages and the final stage really does seem to resemble Escavalier.
7/10

Fatecrashers
An awesome piece! I think you really did a great job by combining two “cold” thing in ice cream and snowmen to create a cute, pokemon-life design. The transition between each stage is really clear as well.
9.5/10

Layell
I say that the concept is solid but the execution may not have made it as good as it could have been. The snowflake is a nice touch but I think you could have improved by making the creations more pokemon-like as right now it is hard to discern what they are.
5/10

sorry if my feedback is lacking, feeling sick today :(

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
using a star system because i can

yoshikkun

okay, i love the idea of incorporating the imprint of the ice cream glass into the design, that is a really nice touch. unfortunately, i don't think it is incorporated into each pokemon terribly well. perhaps instead of just a pattern, they should have exaggerated as contours or something. i don't feel there is enough progression from the first stage to the second, or even the third, and i'm not even sure what i'm looking at -- a singular scoop if ice cream, i guess? you've certainly gotten across that they are cold, and i love your style, but the designs themselves i think are sorely lacking

RitterCat

haha, uhh, did you get the idea of the thread? these aren't redesigns; they are very nearly the exact same designs!! i mean sure "vanilluxe" now has three heads instead of two (and i do dig that big fat middle one haha), but essentially the design for the line is the same. increasing numbers of ice cream scoops decorated by ice "flakes". i also preferred the original versions of the ice cones. they look a lot more believable than the ones you have here, in my opinion. deviate some more next time!!

Nastyjungle

i really didn't expect to see a design like this! with the previous two designs being very literally "ice cream" pokemon, it is really refreshing to see pokemon that are made, seemingly, of ice cream, but are not ice creams themselves. whilst i have no idea what the hell they are -- ice bears? ice yetis? -- there are a couple of touches that make these really stand out imo, aside from the original route you took. first is the ice cream practically sweating off them. where yoshikkun made her designs look freezing cold, your designs look like they are really suffering in an environment that isn't. the first stage's tongue practically lolling out does a lot to complement this. the other element i really like is the progression of colours or "flavours" in the designs as the line goes on. i can totally buy that #1 is vanilla (fittingly), #2 gains chocolate and #3 gains something fruity, like raspberry or strawberry. basically these are great!!

ZcX

hahaha oh my god!! straight from a couple of really cute and bubbly designs to these terrifying monsters. returning back to the more literal interpretation of the designs as ice cream monsters, these are basically much darker, "grittier" versions of the vanillite line. are the eyes cherries? i have a feeling i might be reading too far into the design and these are simple hollows or coals (which i don't think would fit so well at all), but cherries for the eyes would be fantastic, especially as they would maintain that soulless shine of the eyes, as opposed to a cheerier, brighter fruit. i don't see stalks so i'm going to assume this is a trick you've missed!! anyway, i like the more menacing designs, for sure. my only complaints would be that all the spikes work to the detriment of their designs, particularly the final stage, which looks very impressive at a glance, but on closer inspection is let down by the spikes jutting out all over the place. i imagine they were intended to look chaotic, but they look a little clumsy!! whilst i dig the darker element -- taking a line of cutemons and turning them into something horrifying -- i also think you could have differentiated your designs more. this line still follows the one head, two head etc formula closely

Bummer

hahaha yessssss. just look at these guys!! i love the use of a more whipped cream for their "hair" or hats, perhaps. it looks really great! the second and third stage in particular really stand out for me. the cherry plopped on top of the second stage's head really sells the design to me, and i almost feel a little sorry for him, in case all that cream comes down and covers his face. that cherry then seems to become some kind of studded gem in the third stage, or at least is made to look like it, and the mon becomes some kind of ice cream frost genie, suggested by the design of the lower half and (brilliantly) the creamy facial hair. fantastic! my one gripe is that the first stage pales in comparison to these two. i can see the progression from basically a pile of cream to a more solid, larger mon throughout, but i feel more could have been done to make the first stage attractive or cuter. perhaps removing the head entirely and simply adding some tangela-esque eyes would get across the idea better that there is a little mon in there developing, but right now he's just a little busy with all this cream. still, i really loved these guys!

Cobraroll

sadly, i think these fall into the "didn't understand the contest properly" category. there are some positives -- i totally buy the character in the second stage and like the look of the third, but the design of the ice cream "heads" really looks to heavily inspired by male jellicent to me. again, you've totally captured the frosty feel in your designs and conveyed, sure, that these guys are ice creams come alive, but that is just far too similar to the original designs

Furosuto

my favourite part about these designs is the flavour! i mean, i can totally envision these guys hanging off cave walls and ceilings and being a menace, but i don't see any evidence of the syrup secretion you mentioned. why not have that implied by a sticky substance oozing from one of them, perhaps from the mouth? i dig that you tried to put your own spin on the original concept, and i think there is potential in the idea, but there are two main problems. a) all of the stages are basically the same. i mean sure, you have spikes in the second stage, but doesn't really fit with the whole pokemon evolution process thing in my eyes. and even with a second ice cream "eel" the design is still essentially the same. these guys really just look like they are the original line that have been left out in the sun a little too long and aren't happy about it! i like your spin on it, but i think you needed to take this one further

Mikado

the colour scheme is really pleasing, and caught my eye straight away, i'll give you that. i also think it would be easy to miss the subtlety of the final stage's appeal. here we have the line sort of building up as usual, one scoop, two scoops, getting stacked together. in the final stage we have a third scoop, as you might expect, but the final scoop is preoccupied by the cherry that sits on top of his head and makes the whole thing a pyramid. that's really the saving grace of this design, other than the colour scheme. aside from those elements, these feel too similar again to the original designs. again, we have the ice cones. again, we have the gradual build up of scoops as heads. the character in the final design pleased me, but one mon isn't enough to make a line! a little more character in the other stages and this could have been a much stronger submission

spuds4ever

hahaha, okay, again these are designs that get an instant plus for making me smile. i also appreciate the originality of your angle. yeah, it's an ice cream scoop as a head, but it isn't a simple progression of more and more scoops becoming more and more heads. what we have instead is something out of a nightmare, some kind of ice cream monster that comes to life in the vat and rolls over all the ice cream paraphernalia and makes it apart of itself. if i can look at a design and already have the story speak to me, you've got something going for you. what hurts this design, though, is that all three of these i think could have been exchanged for the others. some kind of emphasis on the growth of its body would have helped. perhaps the first stage should have been a smaller, more cutesy design, or at the least a little less menacing. then the second stage can be about the size you have now, and the third stage can retain all of its elements it has now but with a more monstrous, hulking body, or just a larger one. envision muk with all those cone and wafer appendages. anyway, these things really hold this design from being much, much stronger, but i have to credit your originality and the character of the design

Yilx

first of all let me say i love the character in the faces of these guys. they're totally great! as for the designs as a whole, i'm a bit torn. on the one hand, i totally dig the progression of this like, almost ghostly ice cream cone i can imagine just floating around an abandoned fairground but rather innocently. then the final stage i can see you running into and you're like totally in awe of how that innocent wandering ice cream has become this badass ice cream warrior, and incorporating all the ice cream elements no less (the colour scheme, let's just say now, is great, esp. the red and white stripes), and your mind is blown. as is the way with pokemon, though, i feel like the second stage is a little awkward. i don't feel like there is a kind of natural progression here, but rather that the second stage has just borrowed some elements that will be necessary to achieve the (fantastic) concept in the third stage. one minor thing is that i think i would try a different colour for the ice cream at the third stage's elbows -- with all that red and white around, the pink doesn't totally work for me, and perhaps more white would not have hurt at all

eta: okay actually i've come back and had another look, and i think the second stage is saved really by the difference of character in the face, and the third stage's development of the "skirt"

Fatecrashers

haha, okay, great, i love them. here we have a progression of ice cream scoops, but they simply serve to build up the body of the pokemon, not just to give it more heads as in the original design. i can buy the "frosting" buttons and i dig that these guys are melting away, and grinning all the while. the ice cream cone hat on the first one doubles up so brilliantly -- all you need to do is remove the face and it so completely becomes a dropped ice cream, an iconic enough image in itself. i can hear the wail of an upset child already. i also like the doubling up as a snowman and not just an ice cream man, and because the rest of the design is so fantastic i can gladly swallow the arms -- what are they? no idea, but it doesn't matter, because they connote "snowman" much in the same way that the scoops of ice cream do. something really minor is that i would remove the hat in the final stage. it is perfect in the first stage, and necessary in the second i think to bridge the gap and show how it is less of a dropped ice cream now and more of a snow/ice cream man. in the third stage we already have all of that information, and it would work better with just the ice cream cone as the nose (and the original colour, i think -- it should still be blue) because it ties in the rest of the snowman elements. a really simple and yet really well thought-out design, or so it seems to me. gj!!

Layell

when i picked these up, and i think hip mentions something similar in the op, i resolved to judge on the merit of the design and not on the "quality" of the art presented. that said, if the art style or medium is unclear, my ability to judge it at all is hindered. i'm having a hard time telling what is going on in the third stage, but from what i can gather, the design is of an ice cream scoop that wears a cone as a sort of conical wizard's hat in the first stage and progresses through to a cone-bearded ice cream wizard-proper. for a moment i thought i saw the third stage wearing a sundae glass as a hat, but it was the snowflake design from the first stage -- why did no-one do this? it's great in my head! there are some cool elements here, like the cone hat/beard, but i have no idea what the appendages in the second and third stages are, and i'm also a bit confused by the kind of aura behind the third stage's head. is it some kind of frosty mist? a pool of melted ice cream? this might be a really great design concept, but i just can't tell

all done!!

I love the concept of this game. I actually wanted to make this in the past but never really found the time.

Anyway, I just want to suggest to use the pokemon of which the design was discussed in the latest Smog.
Preferrably the bad ones ^^ For example skarmory

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
okay i make the results as:

yoshikkun

13/25

RitterCat

10/25

Nastyjungle

23.5/25

ZcX

11.5/25

Bummer

19.5/25

Cobraroll

11.5/25

Furosuto

13/25

Mikado

15/25

spuds4ever

11.5/25

Yilx

17.5/25

Fatecrashers

24.5/25

Layell

11/25

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So Fate wins :o Props to NJ and Bummer for runner-ups and everyone else who participated!

Which Pokemon need a make-over now???

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
bs I totally gave Fate the snowman idea 9.9

This thread is one of my favorites; hoping the next installment comes soon!

Gratz to Fate, NJ, and Bummer dudes! And to everyone else who participated! Can't wait to see what other mon we'll be *cough* butchering *cough*.

While it isn't my decision, shall I suggest the Timburr line?

A big well done to everyone! Lots of solid effort here, and averaging 5/10 isn't too bad for someone who hasn't seriously picked up a pencil for drawing for a few years :P.

Prediction for next makeover: Timburr line

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Thanks for feedback, Swaggersaurus! One star yields 11.5/25 points? Is that a logarithmic scale?

You too, Novaray. I guess my intention was tweaking the existing designs, not redesigning them. I didn't want to stray too far from the original concept. Expect the same to go for my entries in any later rounds.

Also, in hindsight I should probably have made one Vanilluxe version with two female heads and another with two male. Would be less confusing.

az

toddmoding
i don't think the next mon will be the timburr line, because i don't have any problem with it at all, but i'll speak to hip when he becomes available

@cobraroll, one star yields one point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)