F1 2014

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Oh dear this is just getting worse and worse so far... D: Ferrari is a strange interpretation though. Keepking the entire nose low as opposed to having a small bit of the nose going low to keep the air over the top of the car rather than under it.

I saw that...pretty radical imho, but by reading around is the car with more air flow under the chassis. Unluckly for them the air flow isn't directioned...so it's pretty usless.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Ive heard rumours that the Renault engine packaging on the Red Bull (And Torro Rosso) is a lot tighter than on the Caterham/Lotus... Which is causing *a lot* of issues. Apparently Renault have limited the engines to appriximately 56 laps of Jerez too... Thats nothing compared to the 90+ Mercedes did yesterday with Nico... Red Bull have been seen cutting holes in the car for heating issues they have packaged that tightly. With any luck it will cause them issues into the start or the season.

The McLaren actually looks a lot better at speed than I was expecting. Times are coming down in the test too, we are still 7 seconds off the pace of last year though with the new rules apparently counting towards about 4 of that. I am a little confused at Button's comment about how the Merc feels like the most powerful engine hes ever driven when he had the 1000hp Honda V10 in the back of one of his cars.

Button wasted a lot of occasions in his career...he is a good driver but without Brawn Gp he wouldn't have won any championship.
About RB i'm not sure...i think that they're hidding something...

This may be the season for Vettel to be dethroned, or at least where he won't win 9 races in a row... I'm particularly worried for Lotus, first they lost Räikkönen, followed by several staff members, Eric Boullier and now the Renault engine seems to be having plenty of issues. Really, they deserve a lot better for being able to challenge Ferrari and Mercedes on a much smaller budget and now this happens... suddenly Hulkenberg returning to Force India by far appears to be the better option. Grosjean as well, just when he finally got his act together to be a driver of WDC caliber, this happens... I hope it's not as bad I think it is.

Imho, Williams could be an unexpected runner up for the title...
For sure that will be an intresting year, i only miss the Virgin on the grid :D

Imho, Williams could be an unexpected runner up for the title...
For sure that will be an intresting year, i only miss the Virgin on the grid :D
Well changing to Mercedes engines did help them somewhat, given all the issues Renault are having at the moment... I also hope Massa can show what he was capable of doing from 2007-2009 now that he's no longer in a psychological disadvantage of having Alonso as a teammate.

The McLaren actually looks a lot better at speed than I was expecting. Times are coming down in the test too, we are still 7 seconds off the pace of last year though with the new rules apparently counting towards about 4 of that. I am a little confused at Button's comment about how the Merc feels like the most powerful engine hes ever driven when he had the 1000hp Honda V10 in the back of one of his cars.
The new engines have a ton of acceleration kick and the rule changes affecting the aero mean that the cars are much more prone to oversteer exiting corners. In slower corners where aero can't help with grip putting all that horsepower down is going to be incredibly hard.

And also don't forget the turbo lag, another issue that the drivers must manage!
I hope so for Massa, i'll be happy if he will be the WC =)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Watched Rush today.

Looooved it
Really great film. Only bit I didn't like was the horrible CGI crash near the start, and then James Hunt beating up that reporter (cause I dont think that happened). I was mostly impressed with how well Ron Howard actually researched and got the right cars/right people etc.

I am hearing awful rumours about the Red Bull car atm :| How disastrous the Jerez test went etc and how there are some pople in the team worried for jobs etc... I can't see how there is still a few weeks before the season starts and another big test in Bahrain. I think it'll be a rocky road but they'll no doubt come up with something that works.

Also i am hearing reports that doctors are working to bring Schumacher out of his coma :O

Yes, doctors in grenoble are working on it since 2 days!

Regarding Hunt and reporter: i heard something about it, but it was more like hunt intimidated him...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
It seems like there are more troubles for Red Bull than initially thought... Just another 14 laps yesterday at Bahrain...

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...astest-as-red-bull-and-renault-struggle-again

At the bottom:

Bahrain test, Day One timesheet:
1. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:36.880, 78 laps
2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:37.879, 64 laps
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:37.908, 74 laps
4. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, 1:38.295, 81 laps
5. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:40.224, 14 laps
6. Adrian Sutil, Sauber, 1:40.443, 82 laps
7. Robin Frijns, Caterham, 1:42.534, 68 laps
8. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 1:44.346, 5 laps
9. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:44.832, 8 laps
10. Felipe Massa, Williams, No time, 5 laps
11. Jules Bianchi, Marussia, No time, 3 laps.

Force India showed a very good turn of pace (Fastest lap last year in the race was a 1:36.981 and Pole was 1:32.330). The Ferrari/Merc/McLaren are all pretty much where I expected to be honest, pretty close together maybe a bit of sandbagging here and there. 54 laps is race distance in Bahrain, and the majority of teams made it to that number. The Renault seems to be having all sorts of issues right now :( Electronics, KERS etc... Everything seems to be different. On the other side, Caterham DID manage 68 laps... Do they have now managed a race distance!

To be honest i've seen to much test for hope in a good year :-\
The best we could ever get before te official season is the announcment of the sponsorship between Martini & Williams.

Dont take much off tests when there is a 5 second gap between 6 differant cars though, especially when the fastest is a force india

Looks good... Still think Lotus looks better though :P But I think we can agree that it's definitely better than Ferrari AKA vacuum cleaner xD

But on a more competitive note, Williams have really been see-sawing in performance since 2010... 2014 looks very promising with the switch to Mercedes and a hopefully revitalized Massa with Bottas, but let's hope they can stay that way over the course of several seasons.

Pos.

Naz.

Driver

Team

Q1

Q2

Q3

GBR
L.Hamilton
Mercedes Mercedes
1:31.699
1:42.885
1:44.231

AUS
D.Ricciardo
Red Bull Renault
1:30.775
1:42.295
1:44.548

GER
N.Rosberg
Mercedes Mercedes
1:32.564
1:42.264
1:44.595

DEN
K.Magnussen
McLaren Mercedes
1:30.949
1:43.247
1:45.745

SPA
F.Alonso
Ferrari Ferrari
1:31.388
1:42.805
1:45.819

FRA
J.Vergne
Toro Rosso Renault
1:33.488
1:43.845
1:45.864

GER
N.Hulkenberg
Force India Mercedes
1:33.893
1:43.655
1:46.030

RUS
D.Kvyat
Toro Rosso Renault
1:33.777
1:44.331
1:47.368

BRA
F.Massa
Williams Mercedes
1:31.228
1:44.240
1:48.079

FIN
V.Bottas*
Williams Mercedes
1:31.601
1:43.852
1:48.145

Top 10 of today's qualifying.
As you can see, rain swapped up all the grind.
Let see what happen tomorrow!

Ricciardo indeed is a very good qualifier, splitting the Mercedes... he's in a prime position for a podium and with a bit more luck, maybe even a win on home soil? Something that has eluded Webber for whatever reason... Pity about Vettel's mechanical issues (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/15/software-glitch-hindered-vettels-qualifying/), would have liked to see where he would have ended up relative to Ricciardo in a straight fight. At least we get to see him navigate through traffic tomorrow, not something that happens everyday... well, assuming the car doesn't break down that is.

Yes but it's seems quite obvius to me that Ricciardo could be competitive tomorrow only if it rain. With sun, Mercedes will just take the lead and fly away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)