Monotype Fairy Monotype, #14, Peaked 1709, 82.8% GXE

If you put your mind
in calm, the world
will put you in
peace ...

Introduction

Hi everyone, so this is my first RMT here on smogon. I've been playing monotype for a few months now, recently been playing with the Fairy Type as a fun monotype even though its options are fairly limited in design for generation 6.

I particularly found Fairy interesting because with the few options it has you can actually make quite a few niches that can achieve a variety of things in the current meta.

With my current lineup, however I chose to go a different route for the design process. While originally I was playing with double drum as a core, For my current team I decided to rebuild my team around Calm Mind Focus Blast Clefable seeing as it's one of the best Calm Mind users in the current metagame and by taking Focus Blast, this allowed Clefable to defeat many anti dedicated checks.

Open to any suggestions or advice.

A huge thankyou to gingerninja23 on Smogon and the Fire Island Ruins facebook community for helping me with earlier team suggestions whilst laddering.

PokeC9

Team Building Process

I started off with and opted for Calm Mind Clefable. Calm Mind boosts Clefable’s Special Attack and Special Defense stat, making it both powerful and bulky. Moonblast is Clefable's obligatory STAB move and hits extremely hard after just a few Calm Mind boosts. Soft-Boiled gives Clefable much-needed longevity on the field, enabling it to check threats with much more ease. Focus Blast was taken simply for its ability to hit Heatran and Chansey, two of the biggest checks to Clefable.

Klefki was a very natural choice here for obvious reasons. Klefki's Prankster ability and access to Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Wave make it very effective as a support and utility Pokemon. Dual screens are very important, as Fairy is a setup-oriented type. Klefki's Steel / Fairy typing gives it an immunity to Poison, a neutrality to Steel, and many resistances allowing it to switch in to strong wallbreakers such as Weavile, Mega Gardevoir, Hoopa-U, Alakazam and Meloetta. It is also a situational switch-in to Hydreigon, Kyurem-B, Tornadus-T, Gengar, and more, allowing it to cripple them with Thunder Wave which the rest of the team greatly appreciates.

Mega Diancie was my mega evolution of choice and my dedicated Stealth Rocker since Clefable was taking a Calm Mind set. Upon Mega Evolving, Diancie gains amazing Attack and Special Attack combined with a great Speed stat, making it a dangerous mixed attacking threat to many teams. However, it loses some of its bulk. Its Fairy / Rock typing gives it key resistances to Fire and Flying, and allows it to hit every type except Steel for at least neutral damage, but it does give it weaknesses to Water, Ground, Grass, and Steel respectfully.

Azumarill is a natural choice for any Fairy Team thanks to its fantastic traits such as typing, bulk, power, and movepool. Its Water / Fairy typing gives it key resistances and immunities to Fire-, Fighting-, Water-, Dark-, and Dragon-type moves, which, when combined with its solid bulk, allows it to sponge many hits and gain free turns to fire off Belly Sweeps. Additionally, its ability, Huge Power, turns its terrible Attack stat into a huge Attack stat, ensuring that it's no pushover offensively.

Gardevoir formed an essential team member in my dedicated choice scarf pokemon. Gardevoir is vital because she offers the team a way of hitting poison types super effectively, while also adding trick and healing wish into the mix. Trace is the preferred ability in that it allows me to potentially copy a useful ability allowing me to take advantage of Rain and Sand and stealing Regenerators and Intimidates which is very important in specific matchups.

Togekiss was added as my final member because can switch in on neutral or resisted hits well thanks to its decent bulk both in and out of screens. It can also switch into Ground-type attacks thanks to its immunity which both Mega Diancie and Klefki greatly appreciate and lastly offers the team a secondary option in Thunder Wave for speed control.

Team Description

Clebaeble (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, which as its the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, it accomplishes very well, and lastly the ev investment also helps it take both physical and special hits after setting up a Calm Mind.

Klefki's ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens combined with Clefable's bulk allow it to use Calm Mind. Pokemon that resist Moonblast can stop the Clefable sweep, notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Empoleon, which are very bulky and can even beat a +6 Clefable however this is where Focus Blast Clefable assists the team.

* 16 Speed EVs are taken to have a speed stat of 140, which outspeeds standard Dragalge by 1 point and allows me to win Calm Mind wars vs opposing 12 Speed Ev Clefable and anything slower than 140 speed. This was a late change to the team and was one that came in use in a variety of clutch battles especially in the mirror matchup.

Ez Keyz (Klefki) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Reflect and Light Screen boost both defenses of the entire team, which they can take advantage of by setting up or doing some serious damage to the opposing team while taking a hit they otherwise wouldn't be able to. Thunder Wave is one of the best utility options on Klefki, as it has priority thanks to its Prankster ability and can paralyze a lot of fast threats, especially set-up sweepers, and make them easy to revenge kill. Foul Play punishes physical setup sweepers such as Mega Scizor and prevents Klefki from being setup fodder.

* For my Klefki, I opted to run 16 speed Evs which gives it a 190 speed stat, with the given speed investment, It can outspeed uninvested or up to 12 speed Mega Scizor by 1 point to get reflect before Bullet Punch lands or getting off a timely Foul Play punishes the Swords Dance set up, hitting Scizor hard before it can Roost or U-Turn safely which ultimately creates situations where its forced out allowing more screen protection the turn following and lastly by taking 100 Sp Def EVs I can avoid the OTK with Landorus I under Lightscreen taking 1 Earthpower after stealth rock damage.

Defensive Damage Calculations

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 251-296 (78.9 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Klefki: 91-108 (28.6 - 33.9%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 45-54 (14.1 - 16.9%) -- possible 6HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 69-81 (21.6 - 25.4%) -- 0.5% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Klefki: 138-163 (43.3 - 51.2%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Klefki: 102-121 (32 - 38%) -- 95.5% chance to 3HKO

+4 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 153-180 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 135-160 (42.4 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 121-143 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 73-87 (22.9 - 27.3%) -- 57% chance to 4HKO

Tourmaline (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Moonblast is Mega Diancie's strongest Fairy-type attack and does a lot of damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it due to Mega Diancie's amazing Special Attack. It's great for hitting Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Dragon-types such as Mega Garchomp. Diamond Storm is Mega Diancie's secondary STAB move, which is very useful for hitting Bug-, Flying-, and Fire-types such as Mega Pinsir, Zapdos, and Volcanion, as well as specially defensive walls.

Klefki is a great partner for Mega Diancie because of its ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen, which let Mega Diancie take hits better, which let Mega Diancie in turn wallbreak a lot more easily, spread paralysis, which Mega Diancie appreciates, and serve as a semi-reliable check to Mega Scizor because my Klefki is running Foul Play. Klefki also has an immunity to Poison and takes neutral damage from Steel-type attacks, which make it valuable for any Fairy-type team.

* While ordinarily Mega Diancie will use Stealth Rock over Protect, I however opted to remove Earth Power, as it often really needs the safe Mega Evolution through the usage of protect. Atk EV's ensure the KO vs Calm Zapdos after Stealth Rock damage.

36 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Zapdos: 356-420 (92.9 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Pikablu (Azumarill) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Azumarill is a must on every fairy team. Being Fairy's most reliable physical attacker and a great set-up sweeper in general. Its amazing defensive typing allows it to take neutral damage from steel attacks and hit back with its Fairy / Water / Fighting coverage. It provides great priority and is many times my win condition.

Firing off a well timed Belly Drum can lead to an early victory against specific types such as Rock, Ground, Fire and vs other types that don't resist Aqua Jet. Play Rough and Aqua Jet are its main STAB moves while Superpower hit things like Ferrothorn that resist the rest of its attacks.

For my Azumarill, I opted for a slightly faster speed in general. I opted for the standard Adamant nature and max attack to maximize its sweep potential. 220 speed EV's bring Azumarill to 191 speed and allow Azumarill to outspeed invested base 75's such as Klefki in the mirror matchup and all the way up to 12 Speed EVs Mega Scizor by 1 point. A good example is the before mentioned bulky Mega Scizor that will want to Bullet Punch you and standard Assault Vest unvested speed Seismitoad , remainder went into HP to give Azumarill some minimal bulk for a better set-up and makes Azumarill's HP even for Sitrus Berry to activate.

The 220 spread is great especially in the fairy mirror match up and vs water mono where 212 speed and slower Azu spreads are preferred.

Aelita (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Choice Scarf Gardevoir is not meant to break down bulky walls. It best serves as a revenge killer against offensive teams and can heavily support teammates thanks to its access to the combination of Trick + Healing Wish respectfully. Due to Gardevoir's relative frailty, it is ill advised to send it out against an opposing Pokemon at full health or directly in to attacks, as strong hits can KO it quite easily. Trick and Healing Wish provide huge opportunities for teammates to sweep, but the moves need to be used at the correct time to have their full effect.

A Timid nature with maximum Speed investment allows Gardevoir to outpace most of the unboosted metagame and Speed tie with Choice Scarf Chandelure and Choice Scarf Hoopa Unbound or base 80 Speed Pokemon if its Choice Scarf is removed, tricked or knocked off. A Choice Scarf boosts its mediocre Speed tier and allows it to revenge kill a variety of threats.

* The defensive investment allows Gardevoir to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Latios's Psyshock. The rest of the EVs are put into having maxmum Speed, to make Gardevoir capable of out-speeding all defensive Pokemon and some slower offensive ones, such as Breloom and Tyranitar, and the remaining into Special Attack, to make Gardevoir hit very hard.

Angel Face (Togekiss) (F) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 192 HP / 140 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Thanks to the Babiri Berry, Togekiss can effectively take any one Steel-type move acting as a get out of jail free card against many threats, but it should still not be switched into one directly. Babiri Togekiss is one of the few Mega Scizor checks that Fairy teams have to offer, and it can also check other Steel-type threats such as Excadrill and Cobalion if they have taken prior damage.

Togekiss needs to be kept healthy if the opponent has a Mega Scizor so it can check it as effectively as possible. Togekiss can switch into Ground-type attacks thanks to its immunity which Klefki and Mega Diancie appreciate.

It has to be played carefully if Stealth Rock is up due to its weakness to it which Mega Diancie can prevent Stealth Rock from going up with its Magic Bounce ability, giving Togekiss more freedom in switching in. Klefki is a great answer to many of Togekiss's weaknesses, as it has a resistance to Ice and Rock, an immunity to Poison, and neutrality to Steel. Klefki is also able to spread paralysis, which Togekiss takes advantage of by combining it with Air Slash flinches. It can also set up dual screens to let Togekiss take hits better, allowing it to survive a Gunk Shot from Choice Scarf Hoopa-U if it loses the Speed tie or a Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor to OHKO it with Fire Blast.

* Given Speed evs ensure I outspeed base 70 max speed positive nature pokemon by 1 point.

Because quite often standard Bibari Togekiss don't take enough special attack to ensure the kill vs the rare Sp Def Mega Scizor, 140 Sp Atk EVs give a good damage roll to finish it off after prior damage.

140 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Scizor: 300-356 (87.4 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Defensive Damage Calculations

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 250-295 (69.6 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 169-199 (47 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 112-132 (31.1 - 36.7%) -- 72.1% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 141-166 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 114-135 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 106-126 (29.5 - 35%) -- 13.5% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 261-307 (72.7 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive Damage Calculations

140 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 344-408 (100.2 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

140 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 416-492 (148 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO

140 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Scizor: 300-356 (87.2 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

140 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 316-376 (89.7 - 106.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

140 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Mega Abomasnow: 400-472 (117.6 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Clebaeble (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Ez Keyz (Klefki) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Tourmaline (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Pikablu (Azumarill) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Aelita (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Angel Face (Togekiss) (F) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 192 HP / 140 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Special Thanks

The FIR mentor community
Pokemon Fire Island Ruins
JasonWilliam for adjusting the team and giving advice

Threats

Or

Both basic and mega evolution for Scizor can be hard for Fairy to handle. It has strong priority in Bullet Punch that you cannot avoid and reliable switches are scarce. If Togekiss gets weakened or Klefki cannot get screens in time, it can win the game with Swords Dance. Plays have to be on point and precise.

With Sand Rush on ground monotype this thing can be deadly. It can OHKO my whole team besides Azumarill. It cannot be thunder waved for speed control which means I am forced to play conservatively and safely. Choice Scarf Trace Gardevoir can let me outspeed it both in and out of sand respectfully allowing Healing Wish to do its thing or I can simply fire off minor damage with Moon Blast / Psyshock coverage respectfully when it is on low health. While getting off a Azu sweep or simply going for aqua jet damage allows me to finish off Excadrill with ease.

This pokemon can give you big trouble. The combination of Sludge Wave + Earth Power destroys my defensive core. As Landorus, cannot be thunder waved for speed control. I am forced to damage it with Diancie to the point where Azumarill can revenge kill or have screens handy or lastly save Calm Mind Clefable as my wincon.

Bulky poison/grass types such as Venusaur hit everything on my team for super effective damage, besides Klefki, that cannot beat Venusaur.

If Togekiss dies or I dont have Screens / Clefable / Azu set up, chances are I have lost the game at that point. Playing and preparing for the worst possible situation allows me to overcome Venusaur.

Magnezone is very deadly for fairy in general. It can hit all of the team for super effective damage besides Klefki, which does nothing against Magnezone. Having Screens handy when Magnezone is choice locked into Flash Cannon is usually game over for the Steel or Electric mono user as it allows Azumarill a free belly set up and win the game at that point especially with Stealth Rock active.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, cool team. Here's a rate.

Your Mega Diance set is completely walled by Steel-types which is very important for you to be able to hit because of how much they threaten your team. That's why I recommend Hidden Power Fire over Stealth Rock.

Now that you've removed Stealth Rock from Mega Diancie, I recommend you change Focus Blast to Stealth Rock on Clefable because rocks are necessary for pressuring Fire- and Flying-type teams, as well as breaking Skarmory's Sturdy which lets Azumarill beat it and put a huge dent in Steel-type teams. Focus Blast is also a poor coverage option due to its unreliable accuracy and the fact that you have Azumarill to check the likes of Heatran and a weakened Ferrothorn.

Hope I helped, good luck!

Hi, great team. I have a suggestion that you might want to try out.

As much as I like the innovation, Focus Blast on Clefable is unnecessary. You say it hits Empoleon, Ferrothorn, and Heatran but Empoleon cannot touch Clefable after a few Calm Minds and its only option is to Roar it out. Furthermore, Ferrothorn doesn't even beat Clefable 1v1, as Gyro Ball does not do above 50% to physically defensive Clefable. Heatran is the only noteworthy Pokemon it beats. Thus, I would recommend switching it for Stealth Rock. This allows Mega Diancie to run Hidden Power [Fire] instead, which is its best option to hit Steel-types, such as Skarmory. You can also try out Earth Power instead to beat Heatran.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect
gl!

Hey, cool team. Here's a rate.

Your Mega Diance set is completely walled by Steel-types which is very important for you to be able to hit because of how much they threaten your team. That's why I recommend Hidden Power Fire over Stealth Rock.

Now that you've removed Stealth Rock from Mega Diancie, I recommend you change Focus Blast to Stealth Rock on Clefable because rocks are necessary for pressuring Fire- and Flying-type teams, as well as breaking Skarmory's Sturdy which lets Azumarill beat it and put a huge dent in Steel-type teams. Focus Blast is also a poor coverage option due to its unreliable accuracy and the fact that you have Azumarill to check the likes of Heatran and a weakened Ferrothorn.

Hope I helped, good luck!

Thank you man definitely will try those changes I'm just not sure about them ONLY because diancie always gets rocks up on fire and against bug which is cool but the whole point of clef having Focus blast (the worst move in the game btw and I find it hilarious that I hit in all my replays AND this entire time of laddering that I didn't miss) is to have an easier time 1 v 1'ing heatran because it removes pressure from diancie or azu because if I was mono moonblast wouldn't my chances of beating steel be a bit low because I'd need more calm minds? I just feel like with the coverage it makes my steel match up so much easier because my only objective would be to kill the scizor and paralyze things so I can outspeed and potentially kill. However the only thing holding back my arguement is that focus blast sucks so bad LOL. Thank you though man I'll make these changes and give them a try ! What type do you use on the ladder btw?

Hi, great team. I have a suggestion that you might want to try out.

As much as I like the innovation, Focus Blast on Clefable is unnecessary. You say it hits Empoleon, Ferrothorn, and Heatran but Empoleon cannot touch Clefable after a few Calm Minds and its only option is to Roar it out. Furthermore, Ferrothorn doesn't even beat Clefable 1v1, as Gyro Ball does not do above 50% to physically defensive Clefable. Heatran is the only noteworthy Pokemon it beats. Thus, I would recommend switching it for Stealth Rock. This allows Mega Diancie to run Hidden Power [Fire] instead, which is its best option to hit Steel-types, such as Skarmory. You can also try out Earth Power instead to beat Heatran.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect
gl!
Yeah I understand what you're saying man about heatran being the only noteworthy thing but realistically this is for steel so isn't that what I want to beat? The list besides tran is just as a bonus in the plethora of mons is all. It's done quite well....when focus blast hits LOL which surprisingly it has but yeah I appreciate the input I'll try the changes out :] I just like rocks on diancie because I can also get them up easily against bug and fire and it's just nice having a coverage slot on clef is all.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
If you really want to give Clefable an attack that's able to hit Steel-types then definitely go with Flamethrower because unlike Focus Blast it's able to hit Mega Scizor which like I said, is the biggest threat to Fairy-type teams.

If you really want to give Clefable an attack that's able to hit Steel-types then definitely go with Flamethrower because unlike Focus Blast it's able to hit Mega Scizor which like I said, is the biggest threat to Fairy-type teams.
Unless I go babiri that's a no go man ;/ I usually attempt to kill scizor first THEN CM and try to win otherwise flamethrower or not it brings you too low :[

Unless I go babiri that's a no go man ;/ I usually attempt to kill scizor first THEN CM and try to win otherwise flamethrower or not it brings you too low :[
It's okay though I'll try the initial changes you suggested :] I'll let you know how it goes

Hi, fren. At its core, this is generic Fairy right down to the bone. As stated twice above, giving Stealth Rocks to Clefable allows Diancie to run an additional coverage move. There is no need for Clefable to break any path for an Azumarill, to be honest.

Some of the biggest threats to generic Fairy includ Lando-T(powerful EdgeQiake coverage with no Ground resists), Lando-I, Excadrill, Mamoswine, Scizor, Bisharp, Volt-Turn + threat, and strong physical prowess such as Crawdaunt, Dragonite, scarf Garchomp/Kyurem-B. In short, if it has Ground coverage + the ability to hit Togekiss, a main Steel STAB, powerful priority, or a decent Attack and a speed stat exceeding base 80, then you're going to have to have a difficult time switching in on them

Your defensive backbone of clefable + klefki cannot switch into any of those threats consistently as Clefable lacks the bulk to do so and Klefki lacks reliable recovery. As such, you're left with dealing with them by applying offensive pressure to minimize the amount of free switch ins that those threats receive. Scizor comes in on Diancie and you're forced to sack something, period. Klefki switches in once and scares it out with a foul play. Klefki is no longer the counter. Azumarill isn't the dedicated counter either because you've now sacrificed your main wincon in the matchup. In a flying matchup, you have nothing to safely switch into Zard Y, Lando forms, and Thundurus. However all of these threats come in for free against three members of the team.

Since you have Togekiss as a dedicated Scizor/Steel check, Clefairy isn't mandated to run Fire coverage. Stealth Rocks allows Diancie to run either Hidden Power Fire (hits Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Jirachi) or Earth Power (Excadrill, Magnezone, Heatran, Jirachi). Being able to set rocks v Fire and Bug isn't a niche because Diancie itself completely destroys those types on its own. If you truly want to innovate, you can opt for Hidden Power Grass to lure AV Seismitoad (keep in mind that this is still a better target than Heatran) to ease the matchup versus Ground. An edgier set would include forgoing Protect and running Rock Polish, as that set single handedly 6-0s the aforementioned Bug and Fire teams with rocks up with a single turn of set up while providing a secondary wincon v matchups where Azumarill can't sweep, such as Dragon and Psychic teams consisting of Latios + Jirachi.

Those changes are really the only things necessary to help improve the team unless you want to change the playability of it. Forgoing rocks for Focus Blast on Clefable hinders the team as it actually makes your team more passive by minimizing your opportunities to induce offensive pressure.

Congratulations on your peak and good luck with future goals. Sorry that this isn't fancy because mobile issues.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey PokeC9, Cool fairy team but there are a few things I would tweak about the team being:
-That seems like a good strategy but morw often than not amongst more experienced players they wont use Mega Scizor to sweep in late game. Therefore making physically defensive Clefable a must with Flamethrower.
-Knock off -> Superpower as it allows Azumarill to take on threats from Ghost to Psychic types which can give Fairy Monotypes trouble especially if they carry Jirachi.
-Klefki I would run Spikes over Foul Play as Fairy appreciates the support for its two main setup sweepers greatly appreciate hazard stack as it makes there job easier.
-Aura Sphere -> Thunder Wave on Togekiss as it allows Togekiss tovtake on more threats such as Bisharp and replacing the missing fighting move from Clefable. Thunder Wave isnt needed on more than Klefki as it can be easily spread around the whole team with Prankster and behind screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)