Fakemon Art Challenge!

There are a lot of art-related Pokemon challenges out there; challenges that ask you to draw every Pokemon, to draw Pokemon as different types, heck, there are even a couple out there that encourage people to come up with their own regions and populate it with Pokemon of their own design. After doing a couple designs for CAP, though, designing Pokemon for previously unused type combinations really started to interest me. So here's the challenge I'm doing; I'm going to design a critter for every type combo without a final evolution to its name.

For each one, I'm going to post four seperate pieces of art; concept art, which will show my initial desgn process; Line art, which shows off the final design and serves as a sort of character sheet; Final art, which will be colored line art of the sort that would be acceptable for a CAP final submission; And an illustration, which is the sort of action shot or fancy piece of art like you'd see for promotional material. At any rate, here's what I've got so far. Not much, but it's early days yet.

Normal
--- / Electric - Reactor Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Grass
--- / Ice
--- / Fighting
--- / Poison
--- / Ground - Echidna Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art
--- / Bug
--- / Rock
--- / Ghost
--- / Dragon
--- / Dark - Manticore Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art - Final
--- / Steel

Fire
--- / Water - Polykelion - Concept Art - Line Art - Final
--- / Electric - Fortacy - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Grass - Fitunia / Tantmum / Furose - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Ice
--- / Poison
--- / Psychic
--- / Bug
--- / Ghost - Absconce - Concept Art
--- / Dragon

Water
--- / Bug
--- / Ghost - Crayfish Waiter Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art - Final

Electric
--- / Grass
--- / Ice
--- / Fighting
--- / Poison
--- / Ground
--- / Psychic - Lightning Maiden Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art
--- / Bug - Jetpack Lightningbug Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Rock
--- / Dragon - Spark Plug Dragon Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art 1 2 3 - Final
--- / Dark

Grass
--- / Ghost - Eggplant Ghost Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Dragon - Root Axolotl Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Steel

Ice
--- / Fighting
--- / Poison
--- / Bug - White Witch Moth Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art - Final
--- / Rock
--- / Dragon
--- / Steel - Sperm Whale Sub Pokemon - Concept Art - Line Art

Fighting
--- / Ground
--- / Flying
--- / Rock
--- / Ghost
--- / Dragon
--- / Dark

Flying - Seraflight (tentative) - Concept Art

Poison
--- / Psychic
--- / Rock
--- / Dragon
--- / Steel

Ground
--- / Bug
--- / Psychic
--- / Ghost
--- / Dark

Psychic
--- / Bug - Darnerfly Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Line Art
--- / Ghost
--- / Dragon
--- / Dark

Bug
--- / Dragon
--- / Dark

Rock
--- / Ghost - Aztec Stone Pokemon (unnamed) - Concept Art - Final
--- / Dragon
--- / Dark

Ghost
--- / Steel

Dragon
--- / Dark
--- / Steel

Dark
--- / Steel

I love it! I would also love to do something like this but it is so massive... jesus. Loving the concepts for Bug/Psychic and Water/Ghost in particular

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
It will be a lot of work here. xD
I'm interested in unused combinations.
I have:

Ice/Fighting
Fighting/Flying
Dark/Fighting
Water/Fire
Bug/Dragon

This is interesting. Great idea! I wish I had the motivation to try it myself. ;_; I love the Water/Ghost concept. He's so paradoxical, it's genius. Can't wait to see it finished.

Now I have a topic to stalk. Wooooo. Good luck, man.

I think Nintendo already came up with a water-bug...

I have always wanted to see a normal-ghost, just to break the fight-ghost attacks normal damage. That, and it will be even more contradictory than water-fire. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

These look great (yay, new lurking place)

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Holy shit, that's awesome. Good luck man, the ones so far look great.
I really like the Water/Ghost guy especially.

Not to mention Houndoom is Fire/Dark and Cradily is Grass/Rock.

But still a fantastic start! I hope to see more!
Gah, thought I'd removed those already. Oops. (Water/Bug stays, though, because Surskit isn't a final evolutionary form.)

I like how the water and fire looks but i don't get the water part
It's based on a Giant Tube Worm, which live near underwater volcanic vents. The name Polykelion is a combination of the GTW's Class (Polychaeta) and the word "lion" (a reference to the way it looks like it's got a mane). They're all red, so it's gonna look a bit more Fire than Water.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm working on the Water/Ghost final. Should be up sometime tomorrow. ^^

Just pointing out real quick you are missing Bug/Ground (Nincada)

Good luck with this! Already looks like you put a lot of effort into this.

(P.S. I adored your CAP8 Design.)

whoops typo, heh, thanks Tooey

Wow, some pretty incredible stuff here, which is fitting for an epic challenge like this. I can't wait to see how you handle Fire/Ice. :)

Great work so far. I think its kind of sad that there are this many type combinations still left out of 490 pokemon.

Isn't Weavile Ice/Dark?

^ >:P And is there a solid reason they must make all combination?

Dear TC, please highlight if you have new uploads. :) Nya~!

Guys, is it really worth pointing out some of the redundant typing combinations when that means ONE LESS entry in CactuarJoe's fakemon roster??

Seriously man, wonderfully creative concepts, backed up by killer execution! Hopefully this thread stays on the first page for awhile kept afloat by our stream of responses to your constantly updating Pokedex.

Three new additions to the project this evening - two pieces of concept art and a Final. They've been added to the roster in the OP, too.

First, the concept for the Ground/Normal type combo, an Echidna. I'd never seen one of these before rummaging around Wikipedia for a while, but they are disturbingly cute little buggers.

Next, a piece of concept art for Fortacy, the Conspiracy Pokemon. Fire/Electric always screamed "power plant" to me, and that sort of evolved into a factory. I know it looks a bit Magnezone-y, but I really like this design. ^^ It's also the first fakemon I've desgned with a pre-evo, which you can see in the bottom-lefthand corner.

And last but not least, the Final art for the Water/Ghost Pokemon. Its color scheme actually gave me more trouble than I thought it would, but adding a color fade to the antennae not only solved those issues, but gave it a bit of style. I'm pretty happy with the final result. Now I just need to figure out a name for it. Also;

Guys, is it really worth pointing out some of the redundant typing combinations when that means ONE LESS entry in CactuarJoe's fakemon roster??

Seriously man, wonderfully creative concepts, backed up by killer execution! Hopefully this thread stays on the first page for awhile kept afloat by our stream of responses to your constantly updating Pokedex.
Thanks! This is going to sound a bit like sucking up, but that means a lot coming from someone who produces such consistently awesome artwork. ^^

The water/ghost reminds me of kriketune or something like that and doesn't seem all that ghoslty IMO... i could be wrong though, but it's still amazing either way

Two new pieces of art for a new Fakemon; the concept art and lineart for the Ice/Bug type. You'll have to excuse the roughness of the lineart; I wanted some really deep blacks, but the Sharpie, she is a cruel mistress. The Final should be done in the next couple days.

Anyway, this critter is based off the the White Witch Moth, the largest moth on Earth (along with the Atlas Moth). The wings were so awesome I had to do something with it. ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)