poll.jpg

[18:35] Checkmater: quiznos
[18:35] Checkmater: gimme a good rmt name
[18:35] Checkmater: besides "qsns likes anal"
[18:35] qsns: qsns likes the d
[18:36] Checkmater: k
[18:36] qsns: have fun getting infracted
[18:36] Checkmater: sigh

I really liked the team-building explanation format so I'm just going to do that again n_n
since it's more flow-y to write out how I built it then c/p analyses 6 times
It's a little hard to remember my thought process but I think I can remember it all

Starting Core

I wanted to start off with Diancie+Breloom for 2 reasons:

I really like Diancie but feel like it's hard to build offensively due to lack of good offensive grass types, but Breloom does this
Diancie+Breloom is a neat core that I really like. In particular, I haven't been building Breloom very much as of late so I decided to try it out with Diancie.
Breloom is good at checking waters/stuff that harass diancie, diancie has good mu vs kang/thundurus that annoy breloom p straightforward. Also if aegis isn't goggles then you can sleep the aegis.

I didn't hesitate for 1/2 a second before adding talonflame: It's super good with diancie and the most consistent tailwind setter out of them all. It serves as a sun check and a decent check to opposing grasses while also beating fairies, to an extent.

Aegislash is aids. Hoopa beats aegis. Not much else to it really besides the fact that I had a team with hoopa-U + Diancie + Talonflame and 3 kinda ehh other mons and that triad consistently pulled shit off. Good check to dragons in general also has a good mu with Aegislash and slower bulky stuff. Secondary trick room check alongside Breloom.

Here I'm liking how the basis of the team is working out. I have a solid foundation for a diancie-team, but I need talonflame checks and a better landot matchup. I'm also quite concerned for Diancie-Mega and Kangaskhan.

The first option I considered was Rotom-Wash. Looking through the list, it does all that, while giving me a ground immunity. However, I really really don't like washtom despite using it on quite a few teams, it never feels good to use. Clicks X vs dragons, passive as fuck, I hate using this thing unless I desperately need a solid talonflame switchin and diancie counter. I'm approaching that, but not quite for this team, so I decided against washtom.

At this point I considered both bulky and offensive Thundurus, but scrapped this as I still didn't like the matchup against Kangaskhan and while I like Thundurus itself, it didn't jive with the rest of the team or provide anything valuable I needed. The team doesn't struggle against fast shit, making bulky Thundurus a bad idea. The team doesn't struggle against things like Keldeo making offensive Thundurus a bad idea. I'll be honest, I couldn't really think of anything bad about Thundurus, I just haven't been liking it as of late and I think tailwind works better than thunder wave leading me into

Checks/counters (who gives a fuck about terminology) talon
Provides tailwind
Has an actually decent landot mu (not dicked on by stone edge)
same with kang if rocky helmet
good keldeo check imo

Here I was like
"kami gimme some help. I've got 5/6 of a team, and I need a 6th"
"goddamnit check not again I can't build all your teams for you"
"Diancie Talon Breloom Zappy Hoopa gimme 6th"
"You get dicked on by Landot"

tbh didn't really think much about this one. Just decided that Kyube worked both as a rain check and a landot check. I was rather hesitant to add kyube at first because I don't like kyurem-black in general (scarf-locking is ehh. LO set is slow. Sub set is passive) but I've really started to swing around on using sub kyube after using this team a bit.

Final squad notes and changes, etc.

Ok I'm kinda of not liking the ferro matchup. Practically 5/6 of my mons outright lose to it but I faced a ferro team in friendlies at least 5 times in a row and had a positive record so idk. I guess I have some counterplay. Might add heat wave to zapdos.

Diancie is annoying for this team, but I hope that I can keep it down with a combination of tailwind, decent mus, and smart play.

importable:
Lucy in the Sky (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

qsns irl (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Tailwind
- Protect

Keith (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 104 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Protect

aids (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Fairy Friends (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Fat af (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Set comments: ally switch hoopa + diancie is cool. Rocky helmet Zap cuz it's good. Speed creep is w/e I change it every 3 games to higher and higher values so idk. zap spread is weird don't use it. Overheat Talon because it's a better talon set t b h.

s/o to Rei or BLOOD TOTEM w/e he is on smogon http://puu.sh/jyWFh.jpg

here have some role/set descrptions:

Diancie: clears the way for fire types, especially talon. Has a good matchup against dragons. The rest of the team hopes to support Diance in letting it just keep on clicking diamond storm over and over and over again until you run out of pp.

Breloom: Checks trick room and rain. Has a decent talon matchup for all the grasses, and, in general, counts as a check to anything slower than it.

Talon: consistent twind setter and overheat is nice for ferro recoil/aegis mindgames/landot switchins.

Hoopa: Kills slower things and kills everything under tailwind. Has really good defensive synergy with diancie, which is why Hoopa+diancie is rly good

Zapdos: Sets Tailwind. Checks things like Landot, Keldeo, Talonflame. Also serves as kind of a kang check thnx to rocky helmet. It's also really good for switching in on a thundurus twave.

Kyurem-Black: A rain check, a landot check, and a good tailwind abuser all in one.

Last edited:
I definitely agree that Mega Diancie is probably the best mega in Doubles rn because lots of things are so weak to Diamond Storm+Moonblast+Earth Power it's not even funny.

However it does look a bit like you sort of forgot to check Mega Diancie lol. 3 things get destroyed by Diamond Storm entirely, and the best checks you have get very easily redirected and can't switch in. I think the root of the problem is probably Zapdos, as it just cannot do anything against Mega Diancie and you have to waste a turn switching away from Diamond Storms which is annoying when you add in the part where they have another mon next to it. I would recommend the change Zapdos --> Swampert, because despite them being completely unrelated Swampert provides Wide Guard and a Diamond Storm resist aside from a sashed mon with little bulk and a Fairy weakness. It also helps a lot with the Landorus-T issue kamikaze mentioned and even gives you an additional check to Heatran, which walls Talonflame and sort of gives Breloom trouble.

Sylveon/Mega Gardevoir also kind of dick this team. Sure, both of them take heavy damage from Talonflame Brave Bird/Mega Diancie Diamond Storm, but they can be issues. You have 0 resists for Hyper Voice.
Hoopa-U does have Ally Switch and breaking Protect, but I believe that Hoopa-U's breaking Protect on Tailwind is slightly overrated because while it does break Protect which is a huge thing in stalling out Tailwind, it only breaks Protect for itself and Breloom since Hoopa is so slow. It also really hurts to face Talonflame/Mega Diancie with it which give this team some big problems. I was thinking that you could change Hoopa-U --> Heatran or Aegislash, depending on which one you're more scared of: Talonflame or Mega Diancie.
Edit: I guess Heatran and Aegislash also help with the Ferrothorn issue, too.

Edit 2: I am a useless member of society to answer your poll

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
thnx that's definitely something this team struggles with, reflecting on some of the losses I can remember. I just have trouble working the composition around that, but suicune actually probably works perfectly here, I'll try it out.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you go Suicine definitely consider dropping Tailwind on Talonflame. Suicune is such a consistent setter that a second isn't needed. Will-o-Wisp will take a burden off of Diancie, which is still your only Kangaskhan switchin, while Steel Wing improves your Diancie matchup and Taunt gives you an extra out against TR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)