VGC Fame, Mooshrooms and big-brand washing machines

What is your opinion of the team (only answer if you have experience in VGC)?

• Total voters

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Introduction
I've been playing the VGC format for two years now, but I've decided to go to an actual event for the first time this year: I took a trip to UK nationals. It was a lot of fun; I made new friends and I did really well - barely missing out on top cut. I spent 6 months teambuilding, and this is my teambuilding process.

Teambuilding Process

I decided that I'd build around a supportive Charti Berry Talonflame. I EVd it to outpace and Quick Guard against Kangaskhan on the turn it mega evolves to prevent it from using Fake Out, maxed out attack and dumped the rest into HP to increase its bulk.

I wanted something to beat Rock-types for Talonflame, and Scizor fit the bill perfectly. I originally ran Occa Berry on it to let it take some Fire-type moves, but I very quickly realized that Occa Berry was useless and decided to give it Lum Berry as burns were all over the place.

I decided to use a team choice core of Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y. While it seems wierd on paper, it is actually not so wierd in practice. It lets me deal with either sandstorm or sun when I see opponents with them, and I brought one or the other to every single match. Tyranitar was originally going to be a fully physical Chople Berry set, but it was too weak and Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate were everywhere, so I decided to change it to a physically-based mix with Ice Beam.

Aegislash and Venusaur were mainly fillers for my team, with Aegislash being a mixed set and Venusaur being the standard set. Aegislash had Lum Berry while Scizor held Occa Berry, but I very quickly reallized that having these pokémon made my team overly weak to Talonflame, Rotom-H and Mega Charizard Y.

I removed Aegislash and Venusaur this happened to be the time that I gave Scizor a Lum Berry as Aegislash's removal freed up an item slot and I added Rotom-Wash as it let me deal with my team's weakness to the aforementioned threats. It was a standard set with Sitrus Berry.

I looked at my team and reallized that Amoonguss had amazing synergy with it. The main things that made me notice Amoonguss were its Grass-typing - completing a Fire-/Water-/Grass-type core - and its ability to counter Trick Room. My team was complete.

The Team

Fame (Talonflame) (M) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 50
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

The pokémon that started it all, Talonflame was something that I brought to every match. It was a standard set until you look at the item. The feats that it achived were immense: it all Garchomp's Rock Slides with over half health left with Charti Berry which was absolutely monstrous, and the EVs were to outpace jolly Kangaskhan on the turn it mega evolves and blocks its Fake Out with Quick Guard. Attack was maxed with an adamant nature to maximize its power and the rest was just dumped into HP. There is a back story behind the name, and that was that I was thinking of making a YouTube channel called TheTalonFame, but it never materialized when I reallized how bad I was at narration and couldn't be bothered to change my current one's name.

Scizorhand (Scizor) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 188 Def
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch
- Feint
- Protect

Scizor was there to deal with Rock-types, but it has generally good synergy with Talonflame. The set was rather supportive with prioroty that could either deal big damge or break protects and detects, among other moves, with Feint. I can't remember what the EVs do, but they let it survive something rather important. I was originally going to call it Edward, but then it was female.

TyraniTARDIS (Tyranitar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tyranitar was my teams best way of dealing with Garchomp despite the weakess to Earthquake: that was why I chose Ice Beam over Fire Blast. The EVs let me survive Azumarill's Play Rough and Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam in the sun from full health. I was going to call this Sistar, but then it was male. Man; my genders were all screwed up on this team :/

DragonQuest (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 180 Def / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Protect

This was amazing for the team, and it was the MVP in my match against NuggetBridge's Xenoblade Hero: it was a match that went right down to the wire. The EVs let me take Jolly, non-Life Orb Garchomp's Rock Slide and modest Scarf Rotom-Heat's Thunderbolt from full health. I felt that I'd rather have the bulk as this was a Tailwind Team - it is something which I set up most matches.

Bosch (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 52 SpA / 148 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Aah, Rotom-Wash. One of the best glues of the team, burning countless Garchomps and Kangaskhan's throughout the tournament. This was a seriously standard set, with the only difference from the norm being its double-creep to outpace opposing creeping Rotom-Washes and beat them in a Thunderbolt war. This was one of my most useful team members. However, there was one pokémon which outshined everything else in the support game:

Moo (Amoonguss) (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Amoonguss was by far the MVP of this tournament, but I was absolutely kicking myself throughout the tournament that I hadn't given it Regenerator. I honestly have no idea what so ever what the EVs were for, but whatever. Very standard moveset, and Mental Herb was useful a suprising number of times throughout the day.

Major Weaknesses
  • Rain: Rain completely takes a poop on this team dispite me having two weather changers. This is due to my team's relative weakness to Politoed, Ludicolo and other pokémon commonly found on rain teams - especially once Talonflame has fainted, meaning that I can't then handle Ludicolo. This was a BIG issue for the team, and it was what ultimately cost me top cut.
  • Assault Vest Gardevoir: This set may sound very wierd, but this was a set that a friend of mine used, and it was the MVP of his team. It takes so many hits and can retalliate back for heavy damage with Moonblast and Psychic, among its over coverage options.
  • Safeguard Teams: If you haven't noticed yet, this team is very status-heavy, and this, in turn, made Safeguard teams a big issue for this team.
I honestly can't think of anything else major off of the top of my head, but there were more.

Conclusion

So there we have it. I hope you enjoyed looking through this, and feel free to import the team below as you wish. Any answers to the poll and/or comments would be great as I would love to see what you all think of the team, and I couldn't wait until I had made 1000 posts to post this, so I just got on with it.

Fame (Talonflame) (M) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Scizorhand (Scizor) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 188 Def
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch
- Feint
- Protect

TyraniTARDIS (Tyranitar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

DragonQuest (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 180 Def / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Bosch (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 52 SpA / 148 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Moo (Amoonguss) (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

-Flygon- I'll always remember you as TheZokeShipper my friend, and keep up the C&C work: you will get a badge some day.
Arikado If anyone will get ladybird that hasn't got it yet, you are almost certainly the closest. I will eat my metaphorical hat if you don't get it next ;P.
Blizzardhail Don't worry. You'll evolve into a glaceon some day. And maybe you'll be able to go decked out with a ladybird too.
Cacturne The Cacturnes will take over the world (and by that I mean IRC) some day. Just try and not annoy RotomPoison too much.
Chenkovsky You and Jonater are certainly the most skilled non-QC members (and possibby more than some of QC) in VGC C&C - certainly better than me. I hope you get the ability to stamp in the subforum some day.
DragonRatchet for being Michael
gamer boy <-- The most badass Furret around. Please don't judge me...
HypnoEmpire You're wrong: the empire really is your ally. Just try and not drop the badge: you really earned it.
Jonater I have finally reallized how monstrous support Mega Lucario really is. Keep up the good work on the forums!
LightningLuxray You are one of the hardest-working people in C&C who hasn't got QC, and I am absolutely shocked (pun intended) that you aren't a member in at least one tier yet. I wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavours.
Magnemite Great job on hosting #???: it is fun just so long as noone becomes a dictator (I've got my eyes on you RotomPoison). Keep up your hard work in C&C too.
Minus Please don't get bored of GPing. I want you to GP my Ludicolo analysis after QC look at it. Keep up the great work.
Pikachuun You have one of the best avys on smogon, and I always see you on showdown (I do a lot of lurking in the chatrooms under the name Marigi174). You are a great user, and just keep contributing to the community.
Regi likes pieregirock you like pie just keep saying stuff and you will be a god. Just try and not wear an Assault Vest (seriously though, why do people think AV is a good set for Regirock?).
RotomPoison Stop saying I'm 12 (inside joke) and keep contributing to smogon: you will get a badge out of it some day :)
Sapphire. Thank god you've stopped singing let it go in your under-name text (or whatever its called) and keep up the good work in C&C. Best of luck on geting a full contributor badge!
The Shellder Smuggler Keep smuggling those Shellders! Also keep up the good work in C&C: you will get a badge eventually, and for god sake get your Squrtile off of drugs before its too late ;P!
Ununhexium Don't worry: RotomPoison will stop bullying you on IRC some day. Until then, just play along and have fun :). Keep up the work on the forums too!
VGCSandstorm You don't use the forums much, but I met you up at nationals and we have been great friends ever sinse. Also, great job with the amazing Gardevoir set!

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Please read through fully before posting comments: I don't want people asking things like "Why did you put Effect Spore over Regenerator on Amoonguss?" when I state that I was kicking myself for not putting Regenerator on it in the description. Otherwise, go wild.

Tags don't work from hide tags. Either way you know not to take it seriously, and yes I will get a badge some day (maybe, if I feel like it) Thanks though.

Also... you have X-Scissor instead of Bug Bite on Scizor (is that even a move that you can't bring to VGC?)

Martin

Tags don't work from hide tags. Either way you know not to take it seriously, and yes I will get a badge some day (maybe, if I feel like it) Thanks though.

Also... you have X-Scissor instead of Bug Bite on Scizor (is that even a move that you can't bring to VGC?)
The tags were just so that people could link to ur profile easily if they felt like it. It alerting you would've just been a bonus in this scenario ;P

Bug Bite is banned on Scizor in VGC'14 as it can't get it directly from X/Y (RSE and BW2 move tutor - not sure whether it is available from any fourth gen move tutors as I never bothered with those and research is effort)

Also, you're welcome :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)