XY Doubles Fanatics ~ an XY Doubles RMT ~ Peaked #7

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Inspiration for teambuilding. (also a pro song)

I probably could have got higher but 120 / 30 is a really pretty w/l ratio so I stopped :>
Also, pro traps in the background y/n

Team at a glance:

Build Process:

Mega Kangaskhan is a force to be reckoned with in Smogon Doubles. It has multiple desirable traits that lead to me choosing it. It provided support with Fake Out, hits hard thanks to a great Attack stat and Parental Bond, and had solid bulk with few weaknesses.

Next up I turned to good old Landorus-T, another metagame defining Pokemon. Landorus-T brought me a resist to Kangaskhan's one weakness as well as Intimidate support. Landorus-T acts as an offensive pivot through the use of U-turn and helps me adapt to various different scenarios.

I decided I wanted to run two Pokemon with Intimidate and settled on Gyarados since I didn't really need the Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Scrafty. Gyarados also brought Thunder Wave to the table which is vital for the team to be successful.

For my fourth Pokemon, I decided upon the matron of bulk herself, Cresselia. Cresselia gave me another bulky wall to sponge attacks and dish out damage with decent coverage. It also gave me another bulky Pokemon with access to Thunder Wave.

With three Pokemon immune to Earthquake and a bit of a weakness to sun, I decided there was nothing to lose by adding Heatran to the team. Heatran is one of the best Substitute users in the metagame and allows makes great use of the paralysis support.

Finally, I added Kyurem-B to tie up the team, it made for a nice switchin to Rotom-W and also appreciated the paralysis support greatly.

In Depth Look at the Team:

Calamity Fortune (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
Initially my Kangaskhan ran a more generic set of Fake Out / Frustration / Power-up Punch / Sucker Punch. However, as the build progressed, I realised that I could optimise the set to perform better with the team so I made a few changes to the set. With the given spread, Kangaskhan performs excellently with Thunder Wave support. Fake Out is fantastic to stall out field effects like weather and Trick Room and also helps me spread paralysis. Low Kick allows it to clean up threats like opposing Kangaskhan, Heatran, Bisharp, and Kyurem-B whilst Ice Punch hits common switchins like Landorus-T as well as common Pokemon immune to Thunder Wave such as Thundurus and Garchomp. Frustration is such a powerful STAB which is pretty easy to spam once threats have been neutered or taken out. I opted to use it over Return on the off chance I bumped into Transform Mew. The EV spread allows me to outspeed Breloom and Bisharp whilst also surviving a -1 Terrakion Close Combat.

Delusion Express (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower
Choice Scarf Landorus-T is a pain to play against, the combination of speed, power and coverage makes it a real demon. Add to that a fantastic ability and typing and you find yourself in a pretty tricky position. The 252 / 252 spread that most people run on Scarf Landorus-T is, in my opinion a pointless waste of EVs. If something is fast enough, it will be EVd to beat 252 Spe Scarf Landorus-T so there is no point wasting all those EVs when you could add a little to bulk. With the given spread, Landorus-T will always outspeed Mega Gengar. EdgeQuake coverage hits a vast ammount of Pokemon for either super effective or at least neutral damage and is one of the reasons Landorus-T is so easy to fit onto a team. U-turn allows it to make use of the Choice Scarf and pivot out of predicted switches. Superpower provides important coverage to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon which is a big threat to the team.

Tear Rain (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 56 Def / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
My second Intimidate user and an underrated gem in the Smogon Doubles metagame. Bulky Gyarados puts in so much work it's unreal. Through the combination of it's typing and ability, it checks a huge number of Pokemon whilst also being effective against sun and rain. Taunt is invaluable to the team and helps me deal with strategies such as Trick Room whilst Thunder Wave helps contain fast threats and Tailwind based teams. Waterfall is Gyarados' go-to STAB boosted attack which also comes with a handy flinch chance. Stone Edge is important to nail Mega Charizard Y and other flying-type Pokemon. The EVs given outspeed slow Rotom-W and also survive 3 Rock Slides from -1 LO Terrakion.

China Dress (Cresselia) (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
Expert Belt Cresselia is the definition of bulky offense. Whilst her offense isn't phenomenal, the expert belt coupled with good coverage makes up for it. Psychic lets me hit Fighting-types such as the muskadeers, Conkeldurr and Hitmontop whilst also providing stable damage against neutral hits like Rotom-W. Ice Beam nails Pokemon like Landorus-T and hits key Pokemon such as Thundurus hard. Because Hydreigon is such a huge threat, I opted to use Moonblast in the next slot. It also helps handle Scrafty which is a fairly big threat to the team. In the fourth slot, I chose Thunder Wave since it allowed Cresselia to make use of her natural bulk to help support the team. The given EVs ensure Cresselia will outspeed Bisharp so Cresselia can cripple it before being hit.

Hitorishizuka (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect
SubTran is pro. It's important to the team since I don't really have many options to deal with Pokemon using Spore so I needed something that could beat them. Substitute makes use of Heatran's wide array of resistances and provides a footing from which it can begin to spam it's STAB boosted spread move, Heat Wave. Earth Power rounds off coverage and allows me to hit opposing Heatran. Protect is important to prolong the life of Heatran's subs. With 200 Speed EVs Heatran can set up Substitutes on Pokemon such as Rotom-W since it will typically outspeed it. Obviously Heatran can't threaten Rotom, but by using substitute it can stay on the field and let its partner handle Rotom without having to switch out. The speed also allows Heatran to beat Bisharp more efficiently.

Frozen World (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect
I am a big fan of Kyurem-B, however I'm not really sure if it's the best fit for the team. It does add a solid answer to Rotom-W and helps deal with Spore in a similar way to Heatran but it leaves me pretty weak to Hydreigon. The idea of the set is pretty much the same as the Heatran except it utilises its coverage to hit different Pokemon and can actually beat Rotom-W. The EVs provided a leftovers number maximised Special Attack and a bit of special bulk on the side so that it can set up easily on Electric-, or Water-type Pokemon.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the team. Feel free to bounce some ideas to patch up the issues with the team.​

A Final Gift:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-155375039 - Pwnemon :^)

Calamity Fortune (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Delusion Express (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Tear Rain (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 150 Atk / 58 Def / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

China Dress (Cresselia) (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Hitorishizuka (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Frozen World (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can say this team is very good, once you got sub on tran/cube at the same time I knew it was over.

I'd say it was worth keeping the Cube, it is destructive if someone isn't prepared.

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
This looks like an excellent team, and there are only a few things I think you could make better!

STRONG SUGGESTIONS
  • On your Mega-Mom, Low Kick isn't the most reliable damage option for you. If you replace Low Kick with Drain Punch, not only will you have a very consistent coverage option, you will also gain a form of pseudo-recovery! Ain't that great?
  • How often do you really run into Hydreigon? Moonblast isn't such a great option on Cress as it stacks coverage a bit with Psychic, and you already have decent ways around Dragons and Darks. You can gain a heck ton more super-effective coverage if you replace Moonblast with Thunderbolt. Imo, bulky-o Cress isn't the greatest Cress, but it seems to fit well here, so y'know!
SOME IDEAS
  • If you have troubles with Spore spam, you could replace Kyube's Leftovers with Safety Goggles. That might disrupt your Sub set, so it might be more of an experimental type thing.
  • That HP Ground on Cress was pretty clutch on the replay, that seems like it did work. With the decline of Heatran, though, it may be less than worthwile...
Overall, fantastic team! I especially like your EV spreads, they're on point! GL;HF!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)