ORAS OU Fate / Stay Offense: Unlimited Volturn Works

Hey there Smogon, I'm here with another RMT following the success of my Mega Gardevoir one (only to fail soon after MMeta stayed OU). Now then, I wanted to create a Volturn team based around Mega Manectric since it was one of my favorite megas in XY OU. Although it has fallen out of favor somewhat, I still consider it to be a nice underrated offensive threat and pivot, racking up damage for others to sweep. This team so far has gotten me to around 1500 on the ladder after lurking around the 1200s trying to build and find good teams that I was good at using, and could go higher with some changes. Anyways, without further ado, here is the team!

Also you guys should totally check out Fate/Stay Night UBW and Fate/Zero, and anime in general.

Team Preview:

Chose Mega Manectric as my mega and the pokemon to build around.

Manectric and Landorus form a dual Volturn and Intimidate core, and synergize fairly well.

Looking weak to Bisharp, as boltsandbombers would say "just slap on a Keldeo and call it a day."

Now looking a little weak to Lati@s, so I added a Bisharp. It also synergizes well with the team.

Fairies and stall can be hard to work around. Heatran solves this issue.

Gotta have hazard removal on a Volturn team. Starmie synergizes and spins, while keeping my rocks.

Alright now for some detail:

Archer (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So Manectric is here as my mega and part one of my Volturn core. I think the set is standard, with Thunderbolt for STAB, Volt Switch for STAB and to spam pivoting. Overheat is used over Flamethrower because I feel that Manectric is switching out a lot anyways, negating the stat drops and giving much more power and KO potential than Flamethrower. Until Manectric gets Ice Beam, it'll have to settle for Hidden Power Ice to hit Ground types. EVs are standard, max offenses and speed with 4 Def for physical hits, and Timid nature for more speed and standard. 30 Def IVs is for HP Ice, and 0 Atk still keeps HP Ice while minimizing Foul Play and confusion damage. Overall standard set, standard moves.

I originally had Manectric as Lancer but it got harder and harder to fit my other team members with Servants, so I changed it to Archer, which fits due to both having long-range attacks and a hit-and-run offensive fighting style. Also F/Z Archer is golden, just like Manectric.

Rider (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 228 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Changed Landorus to a Scarf set due to good suggestions. Instead of a usual fast-slow Volturn core, this fast-fast Volturn is very effective at forcing switches with pure offensive power, which allows Volturn and the other members to clean up afterwards. It also gives me more speed control for offensive teams as well as setup sweepers that are a +1 such as Charizard X, Altaria, and Gyarados. U-turn is for pivoting, Earthquake is for STAB, Stone Edge is for Edgequake coverage, and Explosion is used as a powerful emergency button against non-DDD Mega Altaria. The 24 EVs can either go into HP or Defense, the damage differences really don't matter much. Otherwise this is a standard Scarfed Landorus.

I chose Landorus' nickname to be "Rider", mostly because it just looks like something rideable. I mean, who would want to ride on a flying doge powerhouse? It also just looks like something that could be used or summoned by a Rider.

Saber (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is here as my Bisharp check and special wallbreaker. To maximize its offenses and wallbreaking potential, I went for the Choice Specs set. The first three moves are rather standard; Keldeo can pick between Hydro Pump and Scald to either destroy stuff or soften up checks for another member to pick off. Secret Sword is for STAB and is obviously a way to get around special walls, namely Chansey. Icy Wind is honestly just filler, since I have Intimidaters and Manectric to deal with Gyarados, and because some pokemon on my team may need the speed control or forced switches, and helps negate potential scarfers. It also lets me do something to common checks such as Lati@s and Celebi.

I chose Keldeo's nickname to be "Lancer" because it learns Secret Sword, which is a special move rather than physical but hey it has the word sword in it and that's close enough to lance. It's also blue, like F/SN Lancer, and has a horn that it shaped like a lance or spear and has been shown to use for close range combat, much like a lance.

Changed nickname to Saber after Bisharp lost Swords Dance. It's blue like Saber, and its horn is comparable to a sword. Also it gets Secret Sword.

Lancer (Bisharp) @ Blackglasses/Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Bisharp is here to deter Lati@s and Defog, and also helps with Specially bulky pokemon and fairies. Knock Off is for STAB, softening up things for cleaning, Sucker Punch for STAB, priority and 50-50s, Iron Head for STAB and murdering fairies, with a decent 30% flinch chance that has gotten me the clutch in a few matches, and Pursuit to deal with Lati@s better, especially when revenge killing. Blackglasses increases Pursuit and Sucker Punch damage, while Life Orb gives a bigger boost to all my moves. I went for a Jolly nature to outspeed things that speed creep Adamant Bisharp, but not full speed because I don't really feel the need for it. Instead, 176 Spe EVs allow Bisharp to speed creep things that normally speed creep Bisharp, and the rest is put into HP to survive Mega Metagross's Earthquake, worst-case scenario.

Bisharp is called "Saber" due to its attacks involving physical combat, and its move Swords Dance sort of equates to Saber. Honestly, I debated for a long time over who would be Saber and who would be Lancer, Bisharp or Keldeo, finally choosing Bisharp to be Saber after Keldeo became Lancer due to color and the lance-shaped horn.

Changed nickname to Lancer after Keldeo became Saber.

Berserker (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Next is Offensive AirTauntTran as my main Fairy check and stallbreaker. I still needed things to provide extra protection against stall and M-Sableye, while still having a very good offensive presence. Magma Storm (assuming it hits) traps things on stall so they can't switch out and recover, and when combined with Toxic, quickly racks up chip damage and makes it easier for stall mons to be taken out by other members of my team. Taunt is for extra protection against stall in order to stop things like Wish, Aromatherapy, Heal Bell, or opposing status. Stealth Rock was added after Landorus was changed to a Scarf set. The item, EVs, and nature are all very standard for AirTran to maximize offensive presence and for a temporary immunity to Ground.

I named Heatran "Berserker" because its appearance and access to moves like Taunt and Roar make it seem like an untamed beast. Overall one of the easier team members to nickname.

Assassin (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic / Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Recover

Starmie is here as a cleaner and hazard remover. It also synergizes quite well with the team, providing an extra check to Keldeo and covering weaknesses, while having its own covered by others like Grass by Heatran and Electric by Manectric and Landorus. Rapid Spin is obvious to remove hazards, while Hydro Pump is for STAB and becomes extremely powerful with LO and Analytic, and Psyshock helps get past special walls and Mega Venusaur and is also very strong with LO and Analytic. I usually go for Recover in the last slot, since it lets Starmie stay in the game longer, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are not really needed since I have coverage elsewhere. Overall, it's once again a very standard set. Natural Cure is also something I've been trying out as a "middle ground" Starmie designed to absorb status while offensively checking Keldeo and providing a decent amount of power.

I spent some time deciding what Servant Starmie should be, since Caster didn't fit and neither did Saber, Archer, or Rider. I settled on Assassin after realizing that Starmie resembled a shuriken, a tool used by ninjas and assassins in feudal Japan. It's also fast, like an assassin should be.

Will add more later

Originally I had Latios on my team for an offensive Defogger, but I replaced it with Latias because Latios was making me team frailer than I wanted. Latias also had Healing Wish to keep the momentum of my team going.

I replaced Latios with Latias for more bulk and Healing Wish. However, I really disliked Defog since it got rid of my own hazards that I needed to stay up to net more kills, and I needed something other Manectric that could outspeed the 110 club, leading me to use Starmie instead.

So yeah that's my team. Any thoughts and suggestions, whether on moves, items, sets, nicknames, replacements, etc. would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey man, this is a really cool team and it looks fun to use! I do have a couple of suggestions that might help the team function a bit better. My first thought would be to change your landorus to Choice Scarf and replace toxic on Heatran with Stealth Rock. The idea of the Volt-Turn core you have is that when Lando or Mane comes in, they can force something to switch and go for u-turn or volt switch to rack up chip and hazard damage, all while keeping momentum. To that end, the choice scarf set forces way more switches than the defensive one, which is why I think it's better for your team. One other thing I see is that you are dangerously weak to Keldeo. It comes in on Heatran, Defensive Lando(another reason to change it), Bisharp, and even potentially choice locked Keld. For that reason I suggest changing Starmie to the bulky rapid spin set, since the offensive one is very easy for keldeo to wear down by hitting it and then switching out. Bulky rapid spin remedies this somewhat, provided you keep Starmie healthy and be wary of pursuit trapping, which is pretty much a staple on Keldeo teams. One last thought I had was that Spike Stack is very effective on Volt-Turn teams because as I mentioned before, they force a lot of switches. However I don't see a way to get a Spikes user on here without drastically changing the team so I'll just leave the idea there in case someone else sees one.
I hope this helped :)

Hey man, this is a really cool team and it looks fun to use! I do have a couple of suggestions that might help the team function a bit better. My first thought would be to change your landorus to Choice Scarf and replace toxic on Heatran with Stealth Rock. The idea of the Volt-Turn core you have is that when Lando or Mane comes in, they can force something to switch and go for u-turn or volt switch to rack up chip and hazard damage, all while keeping momentum. To that end, the choice scarf set forces way more switches than the defensive one, which is why I think it's better for your team. One other thing I see is that you are dangerously weak to Keldeo. It comes in on Heatran, Defensive Lando(another reason to change it), Bisharp, and even potentially choice locked Keld. For that reason I suggest changing Starmie to the bulky rapid spin set, since the offensive one is very easy for keldeo to wear down by hitting it and then switching out. Bulky rapid spin remedies this somewhat, provided you keep Starmie healthy and be wary of pursuit trapping, which is pretty much a staple on Keldeo teams. One last thought I had was that Spike Stack is very effective on Volt-Turn teams because as I mentioned before, they force a lot of switches. However I don't see a way to get a Spikes user on here without drastically changing the team so I'll just leave the idea there in case someone else sees one.
I hope this helped :)
First thing that comes to mind is foretress, as it can deliver spikes and also Volt Switch out. Custap Explosion could also work, but then you would limit your ability to return spikes to the field.
Or spikes diggersby, as it also gets U-Turn, or can pressure some checks to landorus to choose which they want to stop.
Cacturne, and yes, that is the cactus, gets Spikes + Dbond, which could be fun. A bit gimmicky, and arguably outclassed by chesnaught, but can also mount some offensive pressure.
Chesnaught puts pressure on the opposing team by setting up spikes, but also gets Super Fang. While this seems somewhat useless, they think they can switch in their fire type or their psychic type, etc, until they find they take a clear 25-50 damage coming in (depending on spikes/rocks up). This immediate damage on many things that want to switch in means you can readily abuse voltturn, to provide major chip damage for voltturn to clean up.

Ahhaha nice f/sn references. Though, I do have a problem... Why is Bisharp Saber when she was only corrupted in the f/sn route, not the UBW route? She can't be dark type.

EDIT: Heaven's Feel not f/sn

Last edited:
Hey, nice team :]
You should run Pursuit on Bisharp since the team doesn't have much for Lati. Your Heatran doesn't check it and you can't allow Latios to freely switch out after getting a kill with Draco.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick Knock Off
- Iron Head

80 HP EVs helps with the overall bulk and allows Bisharp to survive EQ from M-Metagross if it comes down to that

Given that the team is more offensive oriented Scarf Landorus-T will help against fast offensive threats such as Thudurus and Lati. Heatran can easily be the rocker.
Hope this helped.

Last edited:
I didn't catch that at first but I agree, Bish should definitely have Pursuit. Keldeo is definitely at it's best when paired with a pursuit trapper.

Hey there. Thats a solid team you got here, i really like how you're pressuring with volturn, plus Manectric is something that can be very dangerous if coupled with momentum. I don't really have many suggests for your team, but i can give you some tips that can fite well with your team.
  • I can see that your team may struggle a lot against Landorus-i, your team can pressure him but not enough, he can find a way to come on Heatran/Landorus-T (because hidden power ice) and also bisharp if he's healthy. He can be very hard to handle and that's why i'd suggest Latios LO > Starmie, actually Latios is a good choice for your team because now you will be able to check landorus-i in addition to be safer against keldeo, indeed starmie can be annoyed since it doesnt have Natural cure that prevent him from burning. Plus Latios can give you an extra check to Venusaur-Mega/Charizard Y since focus blast OHKO offensive Heatran. Thunderbolt will also help you for your azumarill weakness. Then your team doesnt really need hazard control especially when you're playing offense and don't have Stealth Rock weakness.
  • Then my last suggest would be to put Scarf Landorus-T and use Stealth Rock over Taunt on Heatran because your team can have a hard time against DD altaria, it only need EQ/Return to make a potential sweep here since Landorus-t can only 3HKO with Eartquake and Heatran is forced to keep ballon which will be pretty hard for you. While with scarf Lando you will be able to outspeed adamant/jolly variant and handle it with powerful eartquake or even Explosion.
  • Seconding ppl on the fact that you should use pursuit Bisharp.
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt / Calm Mind
- Recover

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Explosion / Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Alright, made this RMT at 12:30 AM cuz school's a bitch, and I come back 9 hours later to find some nice feedback. Thanks guys! Now then:

These suggestions look nice, I just have one question: what are the advantages of having two fast Volturners over a slow and fast one? Usually when I've incorporated a Volturn core, the general way is to include fast to gain good momentum and switches, and slow for safe switches. Given that most of my pokemon are offensive pokemon, wouldn't it make sense to have a slow U-Turner for safer switching? Just wondering about this and would like an answer to my question before I make the Lando and Heatran change.

Also I am considering Scarf Keldeo in case I don't end up using Scarf Landorus.

In my mind I don't really feel as if this team needs Hazard Stacking or Spike Stacking, but it does need SR up to clean up easier. Plus Spike Stacking usually involves slower pokemon that don't really fit on a HO or Heavy Offense team. Thanks for the idea though!

I'm not the biggest fan of a bulky rapid spin set, since I find it still gets worn down quickly even with investment in bulk. However, I'll still test it out to see if it can pull its own weight. On a recent RMT that featured Mega Charizard Y and Sand Offense I came across this "middle ground" Starmie, and I wanted to know your thoughts on it:

Assassin (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Recover

Basically this lets it switch into Keldeo's Scald, Recover off the damage, and switch out to heal burns and paralysis, while still maintaining some offensive momentum.

Changed, although now I have to switch up the nicknames. Really helps with Lati@s, thanks. I want to keep Knock Off though for the utility.

The one problem I have with this is that even if Latios does turn out to check Landorus, the lack of hazard removal really hurts this team considering it switches a lot, the very premise of Volturn. Of course, I could just use Defog, but then I again run into the issue of not having my own hazards up to net KOs. Holding off on this one for now until I get better evidence that it has a better place on my team than Starmie.

Lol SPOILERS Saber was only corrupted in Heaven's Feel, not Fate. Also by the end I was really having trouble with some of my team member's nicknames, especially between Keldeo and Bisharp, and since it learned Swords Dance I said why not. Although now that I have Pursuit instead I may switch the nicknames again. I do agree that Dark type and Saber do not mix unless she's in her Alter form.

Thanks for the rates guys, keep them coming. I will also update the OP soon.
oops thats what i meant heaven's feel lol. Also change Bisharp's name to Avenger cuz hes dark type right? But bisharp isn't really weak. idk

Really Nice team. Maybe change Starmie to defensive in order to switch into Keldeo better and more frequently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)