Gen 3 Favorite Ubers Movesets

Yeah, I know I haven't been very good about updating the OP for the other thread but I wanted to make this thread to complement it anyways.

Basically, just share your favorite movesets for X Ubers Pokemon. Non-Ubers have the other thread for that kinda discussion so that's why I'm focusing on the Ubers here specifically.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Calm Mind

This has become my new favorite Kyogre set. Yes it looks mexican (that moveslot is filler choice but for the most part, twave is your best option) but it just combines a lot of good things into one build. You get that nice healthy physical investment to backup check just about every Pokemon in the metagame. Twave punishes the all-too-eager Lati@s switch-ins and even if they are Refresh, you still get a free switch while they spend that time healing the status off (or they FP and are in a hole). Rest lets you pull off clutch saves so that you don't lose weather control and the like. It also allows you to be more liberal in eating Toxics as well as comboing with CM to muscle past Blissey. Also, those aforementioned mono-Latios can't 3HKO you with Dclaw assuming equal number of CMs. That means you can enter a desperate CM war with them that's arguably stacked in your favor thanks to fishing for hax by spaming twave til they get a FP instead of a Refresh.

I have absolutely nooooo problem just talking to myself, it's more fun when you guys respond though.

Anyways, I've been trying out Rayquaza somewhat and had mixed results. The physical sets weren't very convincing to me as they don't allow you to really check Groudon and you have to dance around Kyogre's Ice Beams to actually get much done. Then it becomes a prediction fest between his EQ and his Hidden Power since he doesn't really have a spammable move.

However, I did try out a mixed set and was very pleased with the results. I used Ice Beam, Tbolt, Espeed, and Brick Break @ Never-Melt Ice. It's a swiss army knife of sorts in that it can hit a ton of things and not much wants to switch into it. A great little backup check to Kyogre and Groudon while also being a good way to crack some teams up for your cleaners.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deoxys-Attack @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Substitute
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Thunder​

With most defensive Pokemon in ADV Ubers specializing in one bulk or the other, mixed Deoxys-A can be a massive threat late in a match. Aside from Jirachi, Shedinja, and Deo-D you can blast through just about anything if it has a bit of chip damage. The downside is that this set provides no defensive synergy to a team whatsoever. Superpower in particular goes right through Blissey, Regice, Snorlax, and Tyranitar, while Ice Beam and Thunder are excellent coverage on the special end. Substitute has general utility, but it is mainly for activating Petaya to further boost Deoxys-A's Special Attack when needed to clean. 30 HP IVs are so that Petaya activates on the third substitute. I'm still playing around with the team that utilizes this set so I don't have the offensive support down perfect yet, but this is one of the more fun things I've used in ADV Ubers.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Roar

There's no Stealth Rock in ADV, but good ol' support Groudon is still a solid set. Checks basically anything physical except for other SD Groudon, though SubSalac variants are easily phazed if they manage to get their Salac activated. Toxic is really cool on Groudon as most of its switchins hate getting poisoned, and Roar lets you phaze stuff + is good with Spikes. Rock Slide helps deal with Ho-Oh and Rayquaza.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why does nobody share : (

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpA / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder​

I created this set because I got tired of seeing opposing Blissey switching into Lati with little to fear; at the time it seemed like many ADV newcomers relied heavily on Blissey to keep Lati from ripping apart their team and this was an exercise in exploiting that. I won't post the entire build that I run with this set, but it is important to note that CM Latias is paired with it. Hidden Power Fighting is used to hit Blissey much harder than Earthquake, ensuring the 2HKO against any Blissey variant while absolutely slaughtering Calm Mind sets. HP Fighting also hits Regice, Umbreon, and the rare Tyranitar better than Earthquake would. Common defensive cores typically include a physically bulky Pokemon intended to check Groudon, so switches from Blissey upon Latios' setup into a Pokemon such as Skarmory or defensive Kyogre are thwarted with Thunder. Shadow Ball rounds out coverage by offering a method of hitting opposing Lati and destroying Shedinja. 156 Speed EVs are just enough to beat even max Speed Deoxys-A at +1. 100 Special Attack EVs combined with Soul Dew allow Latios to 2HKO Lugia, Metagross, and Forretress, OHKO Skarmory, and deal significant damage to bulky Kyogre. You can potentially run more Speed for weather abuser creep + outspeed max base 90s prior to setup, but for the build I really needed Thunder to hit hard. You could also go as slow as 100 Speed if you needed to give Thunder some more juice.

This is what I use

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 Atk / 128 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

It's basically the same thing cept my approach to the set was more having Latios do normal Latios things, just with the added perks of being able to push past Blissey and clean up past opposing Latis, Mewtwos, etc etc etc Cause let's face it, even at +1 you are going to be clicking Thunder/Ice Beam more often than Sball. The exceptions are pretty much just max hp lati twins and Mewtwo (I think?)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Shadow Ball allows you to bypass Shedinja and hits the rare Deo-D in addition to opposing Lati and Mewtwo. Ice Beam helps against Groudon, which to be fair is significant, but doesn't really do much else for the DD set.

Oh yeah shedinja, that's a fair point.

But like, again, it's not like you can't hit Mewtwo/Lati@s already. Ice beam does plenty to the later and Thunder is bad news for the former.

252+ +1 Latios Shadow Ball vs. Mewtwo: 244-288 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Soul Dew Latios Thunder vs. Mewtwo: 235-277 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ +1 Latios Shadow Ball vs. 4/0 Latias: 244-288 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Soul Dew Latios Ice Beam vs. 4/0 Soul Dew Latias: 183-216 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Mewtwo calcs are especially similar and even that Latias calc doesn't seem to be seperated by a terribly significant difference. Idk, I just see that list and think sball isn't worth it.

Oh, and Ice Beam also hits Ray (lol) and, even better, doesn't telegraph that you are DD.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Heracross @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Reversal
- Endure
Good shit, just gotta be careful about not letting sandstorm in and lure espeed users, pair this with a strong wallbreaker or a lure like special attacking rayquaza and it can do solid work.

Sub is another move that seemed interesting on heracross. You don't have to play any 50/50s for when you battle dudes who know how the set functions and it gets free setup on a large portion of meta cause nobody invests enough to outrun hera with heavy speed investment.

edit: btw wrong thread lol

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another fun set I just played around with today:

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power Ghost

Optimally, you'd use this with Spikes and paralysis support (for free turns). If you get a free turn and a Sub (this is where T-wave support is very handy), you can basically SubSeed the shit out of everything slower, or smack faster things (Mewtwo/Deo-A) with HP Ghost. SD is there when you get a few too many free turns so you can actually be an offensive threat instead just sitting around and SubSeeding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)