1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Fear the Fluffiness!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Golden Piloswine, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

This team could work for VGC'12, or Random Matchup Doubles. It runs Tailwind, with Tornadus being it's main provider, and Latios also being able to use it.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Typhlosion-4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
    Ability: Blaze
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Fire Gem

Will-O-Wisp
    Eruption
    Extrasensory
    Protect

With Tailwind active it gives me more closure to know that after a Protect I'll be able to fire off Eruption right away dealing major damage, especially with Fire Gem. Will-O-Wisp can cripple the likes of Tyranitar who Typhlosion can't touch for regular damage. Extrasensory is there because I could'nt find a better move, and gives Typhlosion much needed coverage. Protect can stall while Tornadus uses Tailwind in which I can fire off full power Eruption.

[​IMG]
    Metagross-252 HP/240 Atk/4 Def/12 Spd
    Ability: Clear Body
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Occa Berry

Bullet Punch
    Zen Headbutt
    Earthquake
    Protect

Metagross goal is to just be another helpful bulky Pokemon that can dish out really effective damage. Bullet Punch is a useful priory move good for finishing up those faster, with little HP left. It's also useful for stopping Archeops. Zen Headbutt hits fighting types like Hariyama hard, and is good for 1HKOing Gengar. Earthquake is a good spread move that is super effective against a handful of different types. With Tailwind support it will be able to outspeed most things and really become a effective Pokemon that all opponents will have to watch out for.

[​IMG]
    Latios-16 HP/240 SpAtk/252 Spd
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Dragon Gem

Tailwind
    Draco Meteor
    Thunderbolt
    Protect

Tailwind is for extra support in case Tornadus' peters out, and I can restart it since it is a major part of my team. Draco Metoer is to deal out major damage while enhanced by Dragon Gem. Thunderbolt is good type coverage fr steel types, but I just gotta watch those pokes like Excadrill. Then Protect is there for the same reasons as the other pokes.

[​IMG]
    Hitmontop-252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpDef
    Ability: Intimidate
    Item: Life Orb

Fake Out
    Close Combat
    Sucker Punch
    Protect

Well as it s my only fake out user it is a vital part of my team. Close Combat serves as it's primary STAB move, which I chose over Mach Punch since I'm running Tailwind. Sucker Punch gives it an edge on those psychic types, and if there a trick room user (you can usually tell) I can finish it off with a Tyranitar Crunch. Then Protect is there for the same reasons as it is for the other pokes.

[​IMG]
    Tornadus-4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Ability: Prankster
    Item: Flying Gem

Tailwind
    Acrobatics
    Hammer Arm
    Protect

Perhaps the most essential member of my team. Most of my pokes have average-pretty good speed stats. But in the case of hard hitters like Weavile, Crobat, Jolteon etc. that is not the case. So Tailwind gives my team an excellent advantage in out-speeding and potentially sweeping the opponent. Flying Gem + STAB + Acrobatics one of the deadliest combonatios around. The only poke that I'm aware of that can do it better is Archeops. Hammer Arm's drop in speed really does'nt matter to me because with Tailwind it's so fast already, so I feel that it is some good type coverage. Then Protect is there for the same reasons as it is for the other pokes.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar-252 HP/252 Atk Def/4 Spd
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Item: Chople Berry

Rock Slide
    Crunch
    Ice Fang
    Protect

The special defense boost is always helpful, especially with the 252 into HP. Well I chose Chople berry over the Sash because I figured since I put 252 into HP + the special defense boost, that it better survive most things. Rock Slide is something my team does'nt have, and it's always good if it causes a flinch with Tailwind up. Crunch really helps take a major chunk out of those TR users HP, while providing a reliable STAB move. Ice Fang gives my team much needed Ice coverage. Once BW2 get released I will switch it over to Ice Punch. I know Typhlosion can't do any damage to steel types. But it need be it can still hit Metagross with Crunch, if I have no other options. Then Protect is there for the same reasons as it is for the other pokes.
  2. Wildfire

Wildfire

Get rid of shuckle. It's not a very good pokemon for vgc because it relies on some turns to set up with power split. If your going for a support, replace it with cressilia although a trick room counter like ttar might work well too. You have three tailwinds. Get rid of 1-2 otherwise, the move slot is wasted. Replace tailwind on togekiss with aura sphere or heatwave, otherwise its role is limited as a special attacker where you have invested. If latios is going to be that slow, give it a haban berry, otherwise it stands no chance against other latios. You have to remember that other teams carry tailwind too so even with it up, latios will still be slow against other teams with it.

This team has no defense against trick room so I suggest taunt>endeavor.
  3. Fantom0

Fantom0

OK, let's see... haven't rated a team in some time sooo...

Well first is Shuckle. It does seem to be out of place. Your team is fairly reliant on Tailwind, so Shuckle is pretty pointless. You should strive to have at least four dedicated attackers on your team, so replacing Shuckle would be a good place to start. As Wildfire pointed out, you do have a treacherous weakness to Trick Room. As such, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have something like Hydreigon, or at least a special attacker to give your team a bit of variance. Hydreigon greatly benefits from Tailwind too, so that's another plus.

Hydreigon @ Dark Gem/Choice Scarf
    Modest: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    -Dark Pulse
    -Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    -Protect/Draco Meteor
    Hydreigon would help patch up your TR weakness, by preventing it from being set up at all (with the exception of stuff like SpDef Cress, Dusclops, Cofagrigus etc.). Under Tailwind, Dark Gem Hydreigon really shines against opposing dragons and the like, though if Tailwind isn't a huge part of your strategy, a Scarf set is also valid.

Togekiss. Not a brilliant set, Thunder Wave OR Tailwind, you don't need both. What you do need is Follow Me, which is important for your team, which will appreciate some support, and your team doesn't have a Fake Outer. Your EV spread is a bit odd too, you may want to revise that so you can take the hits you want to take better. The speed is unnecessary, if you're running Tailwind, having just 4 EVs in speed will allow you to beat positive 130s in Tailwind, allowing you to invest more in bulk.
    Just a few moves just need to be cleared up after that; Blaziken could do with Brave Bird over Rock Slide to break Fighting mons, allowing Metagross to possibly carry Meteor Mash over Zen Headbutt to deal with Tyranitar.

Hope I helped!
  4. TheMantyke

TheMantyke DISRESPECT YOUR SUPERIORS
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

Hi! This is my first time rating a team in a while, but I think I may be able to lend a hand with a few team members.

I’m not so sure how much I like Whimsicott on this team. Yeah, you can get off a few spiffy endeavor kills if you’re single targeted, but all your opponent has to do is double target you, use a spread move with one Pokemon and target Whimsicott with the other, or send in a Tyranitar or Abomasnow to activate Sand or Hail respectively and your Whimsicott’s done for. Instead, I would recommend switching it out for a Tornadus, which can get Tailwind set up as easily as Whimsicott and smack opponents silly with Flying Gem Acrobatics.

Tornadus @ Flying Gem
    Jolly
    6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
    -Acrobatics
    -Hammer Arm
    -Tailwind
    -Protect

Since Tornadus is a Flying-type, it has excellent synergy with Metagross and allows you to fire off Earthquakes unhindered. In return, Metagross also helps Tornadus by Bullet Punching any pesky Ice-types with Bullet Punch. Since Tornadus can outspeed and OHKO the omnipresent Hitmontop and the occasional Gengar (who you honestly shouldn’t be too afraid of considering how rare he is and what little he can do to Metagross), you’re free to opt for Meteor Mash instead of Zen Headbutt to give yourself an easier time against Tyranitar. Speaking of Tyranitar, I know that recommending Hammer Arm for coverage seems pretty strange, but you’re going pretty darn fast with Tailwind up, so the speed drop doesn’t matter much when you’re hitting key targets for brutal damage.

I guess the biggest downside is that your team isn’t as fluffy with Whimsicott gone… Hey, at least that cloud of his is fluffy!

Now, onto Blaziken. Honestly, I think that it should be scrapped as well. It lends little to the team in terms of synergy and Speed Boost with Tailwind is pretty repetitive. If you’re looking for something very similar that lends a bit more to the team, try out Infernape.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
    Naive
    252 Atk / 6 SpAtk / 252 Speed
    -Close Combat
    -Overheat
    -Fake Out
    -Protect / Encore

Infernape can lend this team some helpful Fake Out Support. With only one opponent attacking you, getting Tailwind set up will be a breeze. Close Combat and Overheat have great coverage together and can help Metagross, Tornadus, and Togekiss get through many troublesome opponents. I’d think you’d prefer using Protect in the last slot, but experiment with Encore, as having your opponent locked into moves like Fake Out and Protect can make your life much easier.

I really don’t like the look of Togekiss with Tornadus here now, but I can’t think of much I’d put here in return. Test it for a few battles after this rate to see how much you’re using it with Tornadus at your side. If you're not using it much, tell us if there are any team archetypes you really stuggle against and we can recommend something here to patch up that weakness.

Finally, there’s Shuckle. Since your team is going for really fast and strong Tailwind attacking, Shuckle seems horribly out of place. Try this instead.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Dark Gem
    Adamant
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Speed
    -Crunch
    -Rock Slide
    -Low Kick
    -Protect

Considering you have a Togekiss here already dedicated to supporting the team, I would recommend switching it out for a Tyranitar for two main reasons. First of all, it really fits in line with the rest of the team, dishing out powerful hits that are great outside of Tailwind and deadly with Tailwind up. Secondly, you currently only have one Water resist on the entire team and it looks like Rain teams could give you a lot of trouble. While suggesting Tyranitar to remedy that may seem strange, Tyranitar takes away their all-important rain and can tank hits with the Sand Storm special defense boost. Chople Berry should be the item of choice, but your team looks like it may have a few difficulties against the likes of Cresselia. A Dark Gem Crunch from Tyranitar will go a long way to soothing that woe. Try it for a few games to see how you like it.

Hope this was helpful advice, good luck playtesting your team more!
  5. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Thanks! Took it into consideration. Yeah the only fluffy thing I have now is Tornadus, I guess he can be feared though.
  6. pokemaster649

pokemaster649

Metagross seems pretty standard, but don't you need a powerful steel type move? I suggest you should get rid of earthquake or zen for Meteor mash (or iron head for better accuracy). But if this sets works for you, I'm fine with it.

White herb seems a bit unreliable in certain times, like top's intimidate or krookdile's intimidate, etc., etc. I suggest you should go for life orb (replace the item on top for dark gem or fighting gem, if you are going for life orb on latios) or dragon gem. Sure the drop will lower your power, but you can always switch to gain the power back. I don't think you need thunderbolt on this mon, instead have either psychic or psyshock. What are you talking about? You don't have THE MOVE hidden power....

Hitmontop seems fine, but I would suggest giving it fighting gem or dark gem.

Hmm, for tornadus, I don't really like speed drops from certain like hammer arm. Instead, since it has prankster, you can substitute. It's actually really useful most of the time. But if you like hammer arm better than sub, keep it than.

I think you should have low kick on Ttar, since it's pretty useful when you are up against heavy mons like meta or Ttar etc.

I hoped I helped! :)

edit: really? You had to change from porygon-z to typhlosion, I guess one more rate for this one.

I think choice would be better on him, since most mons can easily out speed typhlosion (i.e. Latios or Garchomp). And give him some hp bulk, and enough to out speed the genies. Which can be at 180 spd. You can go without the speed investment since it's timid (his speed is at 132). Choice scarf multiplies his speed by 1.5. It can easily out speed most things that is not named crobat (with jolly). I would suggest this set:

Typhlosion item: Choice scarf
    nature: timid
    trait: blaze
    evs: 252 hp, 4 def, 252 sp. atk
    moves:
    Eurption
    Overheat
    Hidden power [ice]
    ~filler~
  7. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

I did'nt want to scarf Typhlosion because of Tailwind, and that way I have more flexibility with WOW, Eruption, and Extrasensory. Thanks for the rates, sorry about HP though because I removed it from Latios in favor for Typhlosion.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)