Fearow

Fearow

Normal/Flying

I've been writing about this Pokémon.

QC - 2/2
(panamaxis)
(Setsuna)

[Overview]

<p>Fearow has always been an outclassed Pokémon. First by Dodrio, who is stronger, then by Swellow, who is much faster and has Guts, after that by Staraptor, who is much stronger and has access to Close Combat to deal with Rock- and Steel-types, and now by Wargle, who is much more powerful. They all have access to Brave Bird, a critical move that Fearow lacks. But Fearow is still a decent physical attacker. With his new ability Sniper, and his new move Drill Liner, Fearow can do some decent damage, but don't expect anything amazing.</p>

[SET]

name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Return
move 2: Drill Peck
move 3: Drill Liner
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Sniper
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Fearow can frighten his opponents with his strong critical hits thanks to Sniper. Drill Liner often gets critical hits and it's your best bet against Rock- and Steel-type Pokémon. Return is always a reliable STAB, capable of doing decent damage to Pokémon that don't resist it. Drill Peck is good against Grass-, Fighting-, and Bug-type Pokémon, and it also gets STAB. U-turn is great for scouting, and it's one of Fearow's few advantages over Dodrio.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice depends on your personal taste. With a Choice Band you'll get more power, and with Life Orb you aren't locked into one attack. Fearow's low defenses make investing in them worthless, so Speed and Attack are maxed to make it all-out offensive. Sniper is the preferred ability as it allows Fearow to deal respectable damage if he gets a critical hit.<p>

[Team Options]

<p>Rapin Spin support is recommended. Forretress can use Rapid Spin properly and can also switch in against Ice-type attacks aimed at Fearow. Skarmory is Fearow's best counter, because of his huge physical defense, resistance to Fearow's STAB moves and immunity to Drill Liner. As such, Magnezone is a great partner for Fearow, as he resists Ice-, Electric- and Rock-type attacks and can trap Skarmory with Magnet Pull. Dugtrio is also a good partner because he can trap Choiced Electric Pokémon such as Jolteon and defeat them with Earthquake. Stealth Rock support is always good for a sweeper.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Heat Wave is your best bet against Skarmory, but with Fearow's pitiful Special Attack stat it's not recommended. Steel Wing is an option, but it's outclassed by Drill Liner. Quick Attack is a usable option as it gets priority and STAB. Pursuit and Assurance are good options against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokémon, but most of these Pokémon can outspeed and KO Fearow, and they can be hit just as hard with Fearow's other moves. Fearow can also Baton Pass Agility, Cheer Up, and Substitute, but he is outclassed by other Baton Passers such as Ninjask and Aianto. Cheer Up is an option to boost Fearow's attack, but Fearow is too frail to make good use of it and there are better options. You can use Scope Lens too, as with it, Fearow will get more critical hits boosted by Sniper.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Fearow has a lot of counters because he is not in the appropriate tier. Skarmory resists everything that Fearow can use, and can set up entry hazards with ease. Balloon Pokémon such as Doryuzu, Aggron and Tyranitar can switch in with impunity against Drill Liner, but they must be wary of doing so; if Fearow chooses any other attack their Balloon is gone. With Fearow's terrible defenses, almost everything will OHKO him. Choice Scarf users can outspeed him and attack easily. Latios, Latias, Raikou, Jolteon, Aerodactyl, Baokkie, Hiyakkie... are examples of Pokémon that outrun Fearow and can destroy him without problems.</p>

[Dream World]

<p> Sniper Fearow has already been released. Sniper is always the main option, as Keen Eye is useless, because accuracy-reducing moves are almost never seen. With Sniper, Fearow's critical hits become fearsome.</p>

I think you still need to add a dream world section, even if it's just for saying that its dream world ability has been released.

Thank you for the approvals. Now it's the turn of GP Checks. I know that the descriptions are short, but what else can I add? There is not much more to say.

Is Scope Lens really worth the item slot? With Scope Lens, Return, Drill Peck, and U-Turn only have a 12.5% chance of critically hitting, and Drill Liner has a 25% chance of critically hitting. Wouldn't the more consistent damage increases from Life Orb and Choice Band be more beneficial, instead of relying on luck?

I understand that Sniper is a fun and powerful ability, but I don't think that Scope Lens should take an automatic "First-Slash" on the item choice because of that. I can see it as being mentioned in "Optional Changes," but I think it is really outclassed in usefulness by Life Orb and Choice Band.

The base is good, just expand some sections (primarily the Overview, Set Comments, and Additional Comments) so it doesn't look like an RBY or GSC page. And also, clean up the Counters secton as listing a bunch of Pokemon is not conventional in an official analysis. He obviously will be regulated to a lower tier in the future, so listing off Latios, Jolteon, and Aerodactyl, etc. doesn't fit.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
In order to beef this analysis up (and help your writing process), I'm going to include a bunch of questions throughout the analysis that, when answered, will not only add length but information; it's not that you're not including enough information, just that elaborating on some of your claims will help newer players understand the "why" part of the metagame. I've rewritten the Overview so you can get a feel for how you should answer my questions.

At this point, answering these questions is probably more of a concern than actually checking this for grammar, but i'll include those too in case you decide to leave whole sentences alone.

(remove)
(add)
(grammar)
(comments)

[Overview]

<p>Fearow has always been an outclassed Pokémon. First by Dodrio, then by Swellow, after that by Staraptor, and now by Wargle (what makes them so different?). But Fearow is still a decent physical attacker. With his new ability Sniper, and his new move Drill Liner, Fearow can do some decent damage, but don't expect anything amazing. </p>

<p>Fearow has always been stuck in the shadows of better Flying/Normal Pokemon. Dodrio, Swellow, Staraptor, and now Wargle are all more effective versions of Fearow thanks either to their movepools or Base Stats. In BW, however, the introduction of Drill Liner helps Fearow step out from behind its bretheren, especially when combined with its ability, Sniper. Fearow has the potential to dish out some hits, but don't hold your breath for consistant success.</p>

[SET]
() (this space is unneccessary)
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Return
move 2: Drill Peck
move 3: Drill Liner
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Sniper
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>() (this space is unneccessary)Fearow can frighten his opponents with his strong critical hits (what makes his crits different?). Drill Liner often gets critical hits and it's your best bet against Rock- and Steel-type Pokémon. Return is always a reliable STAB, (capable of) doing (some) decent damage to Pokémon that don't resist it. Drill Peck is good against Grass-(,) Fighting-(,) and Bug-type Pokémon, and it also gets STAB. U-turn is great for scouting (why is Fearow a worth-while scout?).() (this space is unneccessary)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice depends on your personal taste. With (a) Choice Band(,) you'll get more power, and with Life Orb you aren't locked into one attack. (The EV spread is offensive, to make Fearow more powerful and fast.) (Fearow's low defenses make investing in them worthless, so Speed and Attack are maxed to make it all-out offensive.) Sniper is the preferred ability as Keen Eye is useless (how is Sniper any better?).<p>

[Team Options]

<p>Rapin Spin support is recommended . Forretress can use Rapid Spin properly(,) and can also switch in (against) Ice-type attacks aimed at Fearow. Skarmory is Fearow's best counter (why?). As such, Magnezone is a great partner for Fearow, as he resists Ice-, Electric-(,) and Rock-type attacks and can trap Skarmory with Magnet Pull. Dugtrio is also a good partner because he can trap Choiced Electric Pokémon such as Jolteon and defeat them with Earthquake. Stealth Rock support is always good for a sweeper.() (this space is unneccessary)</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Heat Wave is your best bet against Skarmory, but with Fearow's pitiful Special Attack stat it's not recommended. Steel Wing is an option, but it's outclassed by Drill Liner. Quick Attack is a usable option as it gets priority and STAB. Pursuit and Assurance are good options against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokémon (then why isn't it a main option?). Fearow can also Baton Pass Agility, Cheer Up(,) and Substitute, but he is outclassed by other Baton Passers such as Ninjask and Aianto. Cheer Up is an option to boost Fearow's attack, but Fearow is too frail to make good use of it and there are better options. You can use Scope Lens too, as with it, Fearow will get more critical hits boosted by Sniper.</p>

[Counters]

(although thesse counters are not going to be in the same tier as Fearow, I'll continue what I'm doing so you get the idea)

<p>Fearow has a lot of counters because he is not in the appropriate tier. Skarmory resists everything that Fearow can use, and can set up entry hazards with ease. Balloon Pokémon such as Doryuzu, Aggron and Tyranitar can switch in (with impunity against) Drill Liner, but (must be wary of doing so; if Fearow chooses any other attack their Balloon is gone.) (they must be careful, because they can lose their Balloon if they switch in other attack.) With Fearow's terrible defenses, almost everything will OHKO him. Choice Scarf users can outspeed him and attack easily. Latios, Latias, Raikou, Jolteon, Aerodactyl, Baokkie, Hiyakkie... are examples of Pokémon that outrun Fearow and can destroy him without problems.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>() (this space is unneccessary)Sniper Fearow has already been released. Sniper is always the main option, as Keen Eye is useless (why is keen Eye useless?). With Sniper, Fearow's critical hits become fearsome.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)