Feature of Jan 22

I was looking for something that's important and could use some perfection, and after some searching I decided that the guide on the UU metagame was something very important. The thread had lots of comments on it...and the comments that represent common sense or facts that are lacking or misstated in the guide are of course useful and should be implemented.

Thread in here: http://www.smogon.com/community/showthread.php?t=6079

Like with the previous one:
- typo's, grammar errors and such need detection
- strategic suggestions
- and in the end, someone will have to edit it.

I think this guide should be uploaded to the SCMS as it is now, so editings can be made later. If you're editing something, please post in time (and check if it hasn't been posted already) to avoid doing someone's work double or deleting it.

ok i'll find shit and edit it into my post:

Houndoom, while apparently a BL according to pokerealm, eh..i don't know. It seems like a pretty damn powerful pokemon for uu to me. Can anyone else confirm this, I'm not up to date with my uuness.

iirc, only one BL can be used per uu team, two in some cases so it's not really wise to stuff your whole team with bl's..though that might be obvious i think it should be mentioned anyway.

Everything in group 1: the CB birds should be file-->export to text like the other pokemon sets mentioned in the guide.

I think special resistance (something like Hypno, Grumpig should be mentioned in the "Countering UU" section, I dunno if Slowbro / bulky water counter covers it well enough.

More later

For the speed tiers, Electrode does not need a speed raising nature to reach 363. It can reach 379 without use of Timid/Hasty nature, max with beneficial nature being 416.

Vulcan Fury said:
ok i'll find shit and edit it into my post:

Houndoom, while apparently a BL according to pokerealm, eh..i don't know. It seems like a pretty damn powerful pokemon for uu to me. Can anyone else confirm this, I'm not up to date with my uuness.

I don't like PR's UU system to be honest (and to be blunt, I think it's fucking gay). If it's an UU tournament, why allow BLs? Wouldn't that make it a BL tournament? :( Anyway, Houndoom, Cloyster, Ursaring, Machamp and most of these kinda own the UU metagame and shouldn't be allowed. But this is something that should be fixed in the tier list. I didn't read the whole guide but mentioning of BLs and their subjectivity should be mentioned.

iirc, only one BL can be used per uu team, two in some cases so it's not really wise to stuff your whole team with bl's..though that might be obvious i think it should be mentioned anyway.

yes

Everything in group 1: the CB birds should be file-->export to text like the other pokemon sets mentioned in the guide.

I think special resistance (something like Hypno, Grumpig should be mentioned in the "Countering UU" section, I dunno if Slowbro / bulky water counter covers it well enough.

I agree with this too

More later

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
I totally disagree with the Pokerealm system as well. UU was way better back in the day when it was pure UU and you didn't have to use all these boring Pokemon all the time to counter specific Pokemon. It was fun when you could use mediocre Pokemon and still win :[

I'm pretty sure standard Swords Dance Gligar uses Rock Slide, not Substitute.

I have no idea why Iron Tail is listed as an option on Steelix, it only covers Ice which could be done by Rock Slide/HP:rock and Rock which Earthquake already does. If all its going to be doing is lowering defense, you might as well be using Screech. Roar isn't exactly optimal either, since all it's going to be useful against is Swords Dancers and Bulk Uppers, most of which carry Ground and Fighting attacks anyway. Since Steelix is mainly built to take CB hits, using Roar isn't as practical as something like Double-Edge, even Screech can be used for pseudo-phazing.

HP:rock shouldn't be listed as an option on Aggron. The whole purpose is to paraflinch, so losing Rock Slide sort of defeats the idea of the set.

Machamp is a beast in UU. It gets Guts and Rock resist, higher attack than Heracross, and a great STAB, making it an excellent Choice Bander. It also can use Bulk Up once the opponent's Psychic type has been taken out, it's really wonderful how most of the fliers used in UU are typed so that they can't switch into Focus Punch easily. And even stuff like Crobat doesn't like Rock Slide.

Scizor isn't mentioned anywhere, which I think it ought to be. It can be used for Sub/Reveralling like Scyther, and with better attack. It loses four of Scyther's weaknesses, gains a ton of resistances, and has a different immunity, with better defense. It should at least be mentioned alongside Scyther.

Water types are a huge part of UU, I've found it's not too uncommon to see two or three on the same team, and most teams have at least one. Thus, it isn't too uncommon for most teams to carry an electric type. Electric types should probably have their own place in a guide like this like the CBers do. Raichu, Electrode, and Electabuzz would all be grouped here, and probably Lanturn too. Manetric and Ampharos should probably also be included for good measure.

christ i didn't even see machamp in the bl list, even though it isn't used that much in ou it's far too good to be a bl.

Baton pass to be mentioned on fearow / swellow as an XD move, fun to scope out their switch.

Is Tentacruel really a uu? I always thought it was a bl to me.

Where is Quagsire :(, if I ever get into the uu metagame I would use him for sure, counter to Sludge bomb / Hydro Pump Tentacruel, counter to electrics that don't pack HP Grass ( a lot do however), can Curse, and can even Haze shit.

Muk is an awesome uu (or bl, never chedked) that I like using, it's got decent stats to be a Curser, and it has a good Sdef / HP. Besides the random Earthquake on fighters it can switch into those moderately well too.

I think Lanturn could go under walls / tanks, it has a good enough special defense / hp to be there imo, and has bls said, it's a nice counter to all the petaya sweepers. You could perhaps put Solrock there too, though I dunno.

Scizor should be mentioned in either Stat Boosters or Berry Boosters as a nice reversaller, has some cool normal and such resists, a monstrous attack (sadly no stab on reversal) and agility makes up for the lack of speed.

Uh, yeah.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Manectric should probably be added to the berry boosters section. Its not worse than electabuzz.

Also steelix/ursaring/machamp have always in my mind been too 'powerful' or 'good' for uu.

Also i dont like how CB arcanine wasn't even mentioned.

Don't see ampharos for special attackes either

Hariyama is missing from cb or stat-upers

Where is fearow and persian :(

Where is primape :(

thats all i could think of for now

Ok me or some other editor will edit it in the suggestions later. Shame we only got to 8 replies this week. :(

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I don't know if anyone else has said this yet as I didn't read the entire topic, but Hypno and Arcanine are now considered UU (rather than BL) on the list that BlueLightStar used in his guide.

Kikuichimonji said:
I'm pretty sure standard Swords Dance Gligar uses Rock Slide, not Substitute.
it is among experienced players. gligar has a nice base defense which can let him get a sub on something like pinsir or hitmonlee, and their rock slides have a good chance of not breaking the sub. rock slide on gligar is really only for fearow and stuff.

Both work equally fine, usually Hitmonlee, Pinsir or other Gligar won't try to beat Gligar on one one. Rock Slide isn't :that: useful though, I like Iron Tail Gligar because everyone and their mom switches in Solrock.

I would just like to point out that trying to make a UU guide "absolutely perfect" is ridiculous, seeing as nobody can ever agree on just what UU is. Is it how much they're used? Is it how much they would completely totally rape in the UU metagame? If suicune was not used at all for a month in the OU metagame, does that make it a UU pokemon?

No point continuing this unless there can be some kind of conclusion reached.

For now there's a fairly stabile list on UU, it's mostly the BL thing that has differences. As long as we bring the guide to a level that describes the metagame and it's standards accurately, I think it's as perfect as possible.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Can someone HTML this and put this on the site? SCMS editors? Please? :( I wish I wasn't so busy with school so I could help you guys along, sorry. :/

Next week I have some spare time to HTML it and upload it in the evening or so. Same for editing the other Feature thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)