Featured LC Player of the Week 11: Rowan

second installment of the revived player of the week, blah blah blah

Rowan
Favorite Pokemon: Aipom
Most Known For: cutest user n_n
Playstyle: Balance
Most Used Pokemon: Ponyta
Kavatika: Tell us a little about yourself?

Rowan: I am a 19 year-old music student from England. I play the flute and guitar primarily but can play the piano and banjo to a semi-decent level as well, and I mostly concentrate on composition in my degree. I am pretty laid back in real life (sometimes a bit too laid back) and my main hobbies mostly include music (obviously), Pokemon and drinking hefty amounts of alcohol on the weekend.

Kavatika: How and when did you start playing LC? Do you remember your first team?

Rowan: I started playing LC back in the days of Shoddy battle - a user named Psykout22 was asking for LC battles in the main chat. I asked him what LC was, he explained, and I quickly built a team to challenge him. If I recall correctly it contained randomly picked Pokemon like Rattata, with 252/252 EV spreads, and Psykout basically demolished me... Anyway, after he explained the metagame a bit more, he sort of became my unofficial tutor and I managed to become semi-decent at DPP LC. I quit for about a year during 2010 and I came back to BW LC just after the ban of Carvanha and Meditite, and I've been here ever since.

Kavatika: So were you on Smogon when this happened?

Rowan: Yeah I was a new member who was then known as 'steelwing'. I didn't really post at all back then.

Kavatika: 'steelwing'? Why did you pick that name?

Rowan: Because steel wing had a cool animation in DPP haha. It also sounded kinda cool I guess. Well it certainly sounded cool to 14 year-old me anyway.

Kavatika: What is your favorite element of LC?

Rowan: My favourite element of LC is that since Murkrow and Meditite have been banned, we have no wallbreakers that are miles ahead of the rest. This means that there is a wide variety of underrated offensive Pokemon that you can use without thinking 'why am I not using Murkrow or Meditite instead?' Examples include Vulpix, Doduo, Taillow, Abra, and even stuff like Life Orb Remoraid or Dratini.

Kavatika: Have you used LO Remoraid or Dratini?

Rowan: Yes I have, I built a team with apt-get using LO Remoraid. You can find a replay here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-123321145

Kavatika: If you could change one thing about LC by banning or unbanning it, what would it be?

Rowan: To be honest, I'm not a fan of Misdreavus in the tier. It's an awesome sweeper, that can easily get round any counter, and it forces you to run at least 2 Pokemon that can take a hit, or faster scarfers like Pawniard and Scraggy. I also recently build a team based around a Nasty Plot Misdreavus sweep, and the amount of games that came down to Missy vs. Missy. Speed ties are just dumb.

Kavatika: Fucking speed ties. At least we aren't in the Gligar days anymore.

Rowan: yeah - I think if Misdreavus gets banned, LC will no longer have many relevant Speed ties. The only ones I can think of are the 17 speed tier of Drilbur, Archen and Mienfoo, but they are no where near as game changing as Gligar ties or Misdreavus ties were/are.

Kavatika: LC user or player you most admire?

apt-get for sure. Before he came to LC, I used to be an average BWLC ladder player who just used bulky offense teams, with sets taken from Smogon analyses. apt-get has always been really innovative and is always coming up with new sets and new ways for Pokemon to get round their counters. His offensive playstyle helped me think about offensive cores a lot more, and turned me into a much more offensive player myself. Nowadays, I like to think I’m quite innovative and I always try to build around underrated offensive Pokemon.

Kavatika: What do you think is the most successful Pokemon, core, or strategy in the current meta?

Most succesful core in my opinion is Nasty Plot Misdreavus paired with a late-game sweeper of your choice. Due to its difficulty to deal with Misdreavus does a great job at weakening opposing bulky Pokemon, and its moveset can be changed around depending what Pokemon you want to weaken. It also gets Destiny Bond which is cool. After Misdreavus has done its job, any late game sweeper has a much easier job in sweeping.

Kavatika: Advice to new LCers?

Rowan: My advice is simply to get on #littlecup and maybe ask experience players with teambuilding help. To teambuild with someone that has experience gives you a great insight into how to go about building solid teams, and will also make you aware of how to deal with the many threats in the metagame.

HELIX (Omanyte) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
Level: 5
EVs: 196 SAtk / 236 Spd / 76 HP
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Cottonee @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 232 Spd / 36 HP / 40 Def / 144 SAtk / 40 SDef
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Memento

Misdreavus @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 Spd / 240 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SDef / 76 HP
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 224 Spd / 232 SAtk / 52 Def
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
Rowan: A team I've been using since I built it for SPL. Basicaly Omanyte is a late game sweeper. Misdreavus helps to weaken bulky Pokemon midgame and Sub+HP Fighting is a great way to beat Porygon, Lickitung and Pawniard who Omanyte will struggle with. Cottonee uses Memento for set up and HP Fighting for Pawniard lure again. Timburr and Pawniard use Knock Off to weaken bulky stuff. Chinchou lures Ferroseed with HP Fire, and aids the team with Heal Bell

I tried something a little different with the formatting, lemme know if its better or worse. Be back next week for an interview with a user that's back from the dead :)

Last edited:
My little Corkie n_n He should be best known for his team brilliantly played by me going 8-0 in the tournament setting, no easy feat for a team by any means. Cork was probably my inspiration to continue playing LC and I remember my first ever game and victory on LC was in BW back on the ladder when I crit his Wynaut with my Snover n_n GG Cork, probably one of the best teambuilders in the LC tier and well worth the 30k or whatever people spent on you.

u suck

Last edited:

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Rowan inspired me. He's also one of the very few people to acknowledge me. Great guy.

He's also cute af. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)