Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Feel free to suggest anything
Do you guys think I should do CB?
[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Great bulk and typing</li>
<li>Amazing resists, including to Water-, Fairy-, Electric-, Dragon-, and so on. Only two weaknesses.</li>
<li>Very good support movepool: Leech Seed, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave etc</li>
<li>One of, if not the best Spiker in the game</li>
<li>Can actually hit back hard with Power Whip and Gyro Ball, with Gryo hitting the new Fairies</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>No reliable recovery</li>
<li>Doesn't appreciate new Ubers much; Xerneas and Yveltal hit it hard</li>
<li>looses important Dark and Ghost resists</li>
<li>Defog can clear away all of your hard work</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
<p>Ferrothorn @ Leftovers <br />
Ability: Iron Barbs<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef (left out 48 Atk since Arceus isn't here)<br />
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)<br />
0 Speed IV's<br />
-Power Whip/Gyro Ball<br />
-Gyro Ball/Leech Seed<br />
-Stealth Rock/Spikes <br />
-Thunder Wave/Protect/Knock Off</p>

</li>Pretty much the same set as last generation, and it functions just as well. Switch in on something you wall and either set-up Stealth Rock, Attack, or Thunder Wave away.</li>
<li>Power Whip and Gyro Ball hurt due to high power. Don't pair Gyro with Thunder Wave obviously</li>
<li>Be sure to run a Ghost to block Rapid Spin and take out Defog Pokemon.</li>
<li>Toxic is a solid option to hit switch-one with.</li>

<strong>PokéBank changes</strong>
<li>Ferrothorn gets to check a lot more Pokemon: Kyogre, Palkia, Lugia, certain Arceus formes etc.<li>
<li>Also gets new counters and checks: Ho-Oh, Heatran, Reshiram etc</li>
<li>Kyogre can bring Rain which is helpful for Ferrothorn's Fire- weakness; note it only lasts five turns now.</li>
<li>Toxic is more helpful to hit Ho-Oh switch-ins.</li>

[Checks and Counters]
<li>Anything with a strong Fire- attack, Mega Lucario, Scizor, Yveltal, Mega Gengar can trap it, +2 Xerneas OHKO's</li>

Last edited:
Imo, slash Rocky Helmet with Leftovers, the residual damage can prove to be invaluable with Defog users running amok. Also, why slash Gyro Ball first on the second slot? Slash leech seed first, cause with only leftovers/helm (if you include it) you need a secondary form of recovery.

sr + spikes on same set is bad with defog skarm running around, i would actually only mention spikes in other options tbh

knock off might deserve a slash in the main set as you can knock off life orbs and stuff for more damage now, might be worth calcing it vs mega gengar and lati's, cuz more pp than gyro ball

I do not see Ferrothorn being as good in this metagame as it was in last

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Imo, slash Rocky Helmet with Leftovers, the residual damage can prove to be invaluable with Defog users running amok. Also, why slash Gyro Ball first on the second slot? Slash leech seed first, cause with only leftovers/helm (if you include it) you need a secondary form of recovery.
Rocky Helmet just isn't that good, Ferro needs the Leftovers recovery.
sr + spikes on same set is bad with defog skarm running around, i would actually only mention spikes in other options tbh

knock off might deserve a slash in the main set as you can knock off life orbs and stuff for more damage now, might be worth calcing it vs mega gengar and lati's, cuz more pp than gyro ball
Here's what I'll do then, I'll make SR primary slash where Spikes is and in the fourth slot replace SR with Knock Off.

I do not see Ferrothorn being as good in this metagame as it was in last
Me neither tbh, but it's still solid.

Consider putting the weather nerf in the Cons section. Perma-Drizzle was great for Ferrothorn to help out a bit with his 4x Fire weakness.

Its not even close to Ferrothorns most significant change this gen, but it was sometimes relevant in BW(2), so it should probably be included.

Start of turn: Xerneas uses Geomancy.
Power Herb activates!
Xerneas' Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed all sharply increase!
Ferrothorn uses Gyro Ball!
It's Super Effective!
Xerneas loses 100% of its health.
Xerneas is unable to battle. Ferrothorn wins!

With correct prediction and the proper gyro ball favoring stats, ferrothorn is a no-brainer Xerneas counter. or check. whichever.

Start of turn: Xerneas uses Geomancy.
Power Herb activates!
Xerneas' Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed all sharply increase!
Ferrothorn uses Gyro Ball!
It's Super Effective!
Xerneas loses 100% of its health.
Xerneas is unable to battle. Ferrothorn wins!

With correct prediction and the proper gyro ball favoring stats, ferrothorn is a no-brainer Xerneas counter. or check. whichever.
You have to switch in to counter said threat. +2 focus blast kills ferro so I wouldn't call it a counter.

@ Hack He Must So does Hidden Power Fire. Aegislash and Bronzong do the Xerneas slaying thing better.

I can still see use for Ferrothorn in Generation 6 as it has nice resistances and checks most variants of Kyogre. IMO Toxic deserves a mention, as it can cripple pokemon that like to switch into Ferrothorn such as Ho-Oh.

If I'm not completely mistaken, Knock off on Ferrothorn is Gen V move tutor only, so it's not valid pre-Pokebank.

Ok I think its just something about me and finding errors in ferrothorn articles or something lol
Well, here we go.
Feel free to suggest anything
Do you guys think I should do CB?
[Pros]
<ul>
<li>(Fragment, put a "Ferrothorn has" or "It has" before) Great bulk and typing</li>
<li>Amazing resists, including to (remove the to) Water-, Fairy-, Electric-, Dragon-, and so on. Only two weaknesses. (This is a fragment. Say something like "Ferrothorn has only two weaknesses")</li>
<li>Very good support movepool: (I'd get rid of the colon and put something like "That includes")Leech Seed, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave etc</li>
<li>One of, if not the best Spiker (Spikes users) in the game</li>
<li>Can actually hit back hard with Power Whip and Gyro Ball, with Gryo hitting the new Fairies</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>No reliable recovery (Another fragment. Put something like "Ferrothorn has no reliable recovery."</li>
<li>Doesn't appreciate new Ubers much; Xerneas and Yveltal hit it hard</li>
<li>looses (Forgot a capital and it is spelled loses.) important Dark and Ghost resists</li>
<li>Defog can clear away all of your hard work</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
<p>Ferrothorn @ Leftovers <br />
Ability: Iron Barbs<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef (left out 48 Atk since Arceus isn't here)<br />
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)<br />
0 Speed IV's (Pretty sure there isn't an apostrophe between V and s)<br />
-Power Whip/Gyro Ball<br />
-Gyro Ball/Leech Seed<br />
-Stealth Rock/Spikes <br />
-Thunder Wave/Protect/Knock Off</p>

</li>Pretty much the same set as last generation, and it functions just as well. Switch in on something you wall and either set-up Stealth Rock, Attack, or Thunder Wave away (I don't really think you whisk an enemy away with thunder wave... try saying "Use Thunder Wave or something in that manner).</li>
<li>Power Whip and Gyro Ball hurt due to high power. Don't pair Gyro with Thunder Wave obviously</li>
<li>Be sure to run a Ghost to block Rapid Spin and take out Defog Pokemon.</li>
<li>Toxic is a solid option to hit switch-one with (I'm pretty sure this is a typo because I have no idea what you're trying to say).</li>

<strong>PokéBank changes</strong>
<li>Ferrothorn gets to check a lot more Pokemon: Kyogre, Palkia, Lugia, certain Arceus formes (Insert comma here) etc.<li>
<li>Also gets new counters and checks: Ho-Oh, Heatran, Reshiram (Another comma) etc</li>
<li>Kyogre can bring Rain which is helpful for Ferrothorn's Fire- weakness; note it only lasts five turns now.</li>
<li>Toxic is more helpful to hit Ho-Oh switch-ins. (Switch-ins by Ho-Oh)</li>

[Checks and Counters]
<li>Anything with a strong Fire- attack, Mega Lucario, Scizor, Yveltal, (Not really language error but I would mention how they counter it) Mega Gengar can trap it, +2 Xerneas OHKO's (Same here, how does it OHKO? With what move?)</li>
Hope this helps!

EDIT: Make sure that you put punctuation marks after all of your sentences, even in the pros/cons sections.

sunny004 This is only a skeleton, an overview if you will. It has not been written up yet. After it is sent to GP (grammar and prose) feel free to point out any errors, usually changes in blue, deletions in red, and comments in green.

Rest might be really good on Ferrothorn in this metagame. I could be overrating Rest as a move but Ferro completely walls shit like Arceus-Fairy and Arceus-Rock and can spread Toxic, so healing off Willowisps for some teams could be pretty huge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)