Pokémon Ferrothorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running assault vest ferrothorn which sounds stupid I know but it's surprisingly effective on my team. With knock off it is a great counter to aegislash and also most of the time people think you are banded so you can maybe get damage on another thing such as mega tyranitar that likes to switch in. In this case
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-116220668 I'm able to take out mega pinsir after getting the ko on aegi.

The moves are:
Power whip
Knock off
Gyro ball
Explosion

I have seen a lot of people using bulldoze on offensive ferrothorn sets but honestly explosion is great in conjunction with assault vest, in one instance when opposing a mega char y I used explosion while my opponent went for air slash which would have killed if it was not for the assault vest, allowing me to get the ko.

Last edited:
I'm running assault vest ferrothorn which sounds stupid I know but it's surprisingly effective on my team. With knock off it is a great counter to aegislash and also most of the time people think you are banded so you can maybe get damage on another thing such as mega tyranitar that likes to switch in. In this case
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-116220668 I'm able to take out mega pinsir after getting the ko on aegi.

The moves are:
Power whip
Knock off
Gyro ball
Explosion

I have seen a lot of people using bulldoze on offensive ferrothorn sets but honestly explosion is great in conjunction with assault vest, in one instance when opposing a mega char y I used explosion while my opponent went for air slash which would have killed if it was not for the assault vest, allowing me to get the ko.
I am somewhat surprised by the damage output on Knock Off, even though it hit Latias super-effectively. Still, I would likely not leave Ferrothorn in on anything that has a Fire attack (unless I want to sack it or predict my opponent would predict that I would switch).

The moves are:
Power whip
Knock off
Gyro ball
Explosion

Wait, Char Y used Air Slash instead of Fire Blast?

What about using bulldoze on Ferrothorn so it can hurt Heatran on the switch?
I mean for a standard set, SR/gyro ball/Leech seed/bulldoze

0 Atk Ferrothorn Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 156-188 (40.4 - 48.7%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Since Heatran doesn't have reliable recovery that should help killing it
or maybe run knock off on Ferrothorn to take out leftovers leaving heatran without any recovery at all

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
What about using bulldoze on Ferrothorn so it can hurt Heatran on the switch?
I mean for a standard set, SR/gyro ball/Leech seed/bulldoze

0 Atk Ferrothorn Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 156-188 (40.4 - 48.7%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Since Heatran doesn't have reliable recovery that should help killing it
or maybe run knock off on Ferrothorn to take out leftovers leaving heatran without any recovery at all
knock off's pretty cool for outslowing and hitting aegislash in blade form:
4 Atk Ferrothorn Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 230-272 (70.9 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I have been hearing mixed reviews about the necessity of Spikes. Is it really necessary? Or can thunder wave be subbed in instead?
Depends on the role ferrothorn plays if it's more of a dedicated hazard setter with rocks and spikes then you can do or if you want to be only a rocker and have a support role with leech seed thunder wave and filler you can go that route too

Thunder wave is good on a set just using power whip, I used it a lot in gen 5 OU to stop threats such as volcarona. I don't think thunder wave is as good this gen, obviously it got nerfed, but still it's not as good. In my opinion thundurous is better for using t wave on this gen.

Last edited:
Thunder wave is good on a set just using power whip, I used it a lot in gen 5 OU to stop threats such as volcarona. I don't think thunder wave is as good this gen, obviously it got nerfed, but still it's not as good. In my opinion thunderous is better for using t wave on this gen.
Yeah of course Thundurus is a better Twave user because it's got Prankster. The two aren't really comparable though because they fill different roles and are usually used on different teams. If you got both you don't need Twave on Ferro but it's generally still a good option to cripple fast pokes and get LO/LS recovery on the full para turns.

I just wanted to nerdrage here - I hate Ferrothorn with a flaming passion. He ruins every single game for me.

First of all, Leech Seed is fucking annoying no matter who it's on.
But when you put it on a pokemon which is basically immune to physical attacks, god damn, is it just the fucking nerviest thing in the world.

And why does he get access to Thunder Wave? Why? Not only does it not make sense, he has no need for the added utility. He's already obnoxious enough with Leech Seed + Protect + Stealth Rocks - you basically cannot hurt him unless you have a special attacker and he can set up Stealth Rocks which invalidates some 50% of the metagame, forcing you to bring in a spinner or fogger and no doubts the Ferro's team will counter that deployment.

This pokemon has only two weaknesses, Fighting and Fire, and even a STAB Fire or Fighting move is not guaranteed to OHKO him unless it's being backed up by something with a lot of special attack. My last match, my Jirachi with 252 Adamant nature performed a Fire Punch that only took 47% off this guy's ferrothorn, allowing his Leech + Protect + Iron Barbs to whittle me down - imagine if I hadn't knocked off his rocky helmet before - I would have had absolutely no chance at killing him.

And thanks to his disgusting speed, Gyro Ball is way too reliable of a damage move. It hits a lot of pokemon HARD that would try to come in and set up, even if they are pretty slow themselves. Just great.

There are only a handful of pokemon that really scarce Ferrothorn off the field and these guys are predominate in OU - Ferrothorn I would say is the #1 or #2 player in OU and the guy that shapes all of the usage rates, especially now that Aegislash is gone. I would love nothing more if he were banned from OU play, but I know that will never happen - he's too much of an incumbent and favorite of the council.

Anyway, you basically can't go wrong with your Ferrothorn set. It's impossible to predict what he will do - even a off-the-wall set like Toxic, Sub, Thunderwave, Leech Seed could very well work. He's so commonplace at this point using even more unorthodox moves could be extremely effective, if just because it's a surprise.

Kill it with fire?

Ferro is a great poke but has flaws you can exploit. If protect is bugging you then setup on him. And beside leech seed it cant do much against fire types so talon, heatran and either charizards take it down extremely easy.

But if ferro is your biggest problem id say you probably have a decent team overall so its up to you if ya wanna make it more adaptable to ferro. Espesially since having a solid fire type on a team is usually good.

Sorry for the crappy post btw, on my mobile ^^

yep , the only things that can one HIT KO ferrothorn is a fire blast / heat wave / Flamethrower ect... and maybe a close combat from a STAB pokemon / +atk from status but becarfull due to iron barbs and rocky helmet 4-7 hit will kill you.

This one used to be an experimental set but turned out to be a trump card on WiFi battles. I present:

Ferrotank

Ferrothorn
Item: Leftovers / Lum Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy
IVs: 0 Spe
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Att
Moves:
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Curse

This set works best if the role of the team's hazard setter is already fulfilled by another Pokémon. It's based on the same logic as Calm Mind Clefable: have HP + the weaker defensive stat maxed out, then get your primary attack and defensive stat set up by a single move. Most people see a Ferrothorn and expect a Power Whip/Gyro Ball, Stealth Rocks, Leech Seed and Thunder Wave/Protect set but that's when you set up. To ensure multiple uses of Curse, Leftovers or Lum Berry are highly recommended. You can also use Rocky Helmet if you want to become literally untouchable. I tested the set with all three of these items and they all have their values.

Gyro Ball and Curse were truly made for Ferrothorn. A Gyro Ball hits like a wrecking ball after only one setup round, not to mention your second STAB-move Power Whip. At +2 Ferrothorn walls and smashes nearly everything, except Fire types. Leech Seed takes care of counter set-up intentions. It should be noted that this set is tailored for mid/late game, when Ferrothorn's counters are off the field. It also comes in handy against Trick Room teams.

An IV spread of 31/31/31/x/31/0 takes advantage of Ferrothorn's already miserable speed by additionally lowering it to make Gyro Ball as effective as possible. The given EV spread and the Sassy nature enable Ferrothorn to survive non-STAB Fire Blasts, with a bit of luck even at +1:

4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 200-236 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 4 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 296-352 (84 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Have fun and make your opponents cry. :)

This one used to be an experimental set but turned out to be a trump card on WiFi battles. I present:

Ferrotank

Ferrothorn
Item: Leftovers / Lum Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy
IVs: 0 Spe
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Att
Moves:
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Curse

This set works best if the role of the team's hazard setter is already fulfilled by another Pokémon. It's based on the same logic as Calm Mind Clefable: have HP + the weaker defensive stat maxed out, then get your primary attack and defensive stat set up by a single move. Most people see a Ferrothorn and expect a Power Whip/Gyro Ball, Stealth Rocks, Leech Seed and Thunder Wave/Protect set but that's when you set up. To ensure multiple uses of Curse, Leftovers or Lum Berry are highly recommended. You can also use Rocky Helmet if you want to become literally untouchable. I tested the set with all three of these items and they all have their values.

Gyro Ball and Curse were truly made for Ferrothorn. A Gyro Ball hits like a wrecking ball after only one setup round, not to mention your second STAB-move Power Whip. At +2 Ferrothorn walls and smashes nearly everything, except Fire types. Leech Seed takes care of counter set-up intentions. It should be noted that this set is tailored for mid/late game, when Ferrothorn's counters are off the field. It also comes in handy against Trick Room teams.

An IV spread of 31/31/31/x/31/0 takes advantage of Ferrothorn's already miserable speed by additionally lowering it to make Gyro Ball as effective as possible. The given EV spread and the Sassy nature enable Ferrothorn to survive non-STAB Fire Blasts, with a bit of luck even at +1:

4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 200-236 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 4 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 296-352 (84 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Have fun and make your opponents cry. :)
While this set seems cool it has a few huge problems similar to SD Ferrothorn. First, in practice Ferrothorn will get a chance to set up on a turn where something else (hazards, attacking) wouldn't be better. No matter what, Ferrothorn will always be a better wall than sweeper because of its bad coverage and lack of chances to actually set up and take advantage of it. For example: if you set up a Curse as the opponent switches into a Charizard X, you're still dying to a Flare Blitz regardless and then you either need to switch or waste a perfectly good Ferrothorn.

The Ferrothorn analysis may help you if you have any more questions or sets like that, or you can suggest a new set be added in this thread

think of it like this: Ferro is a lategame set up sweeper that can be used to take some hits in emergencies midgame. If you conserve him carefully, you'll sweep after charizard X goes down. Otherwise, you'll do massive recoil + iron barbs to it and revenge it with another pokemon. Either way, it either gets you out of a tough spot, or it helps you sweep!

think of it like this: Ferro is a lategame set up sweeper that can be used to take some hits in emergencies midgame. If you conserve him carefully, you'll sweep after charizard X goes down. Otherwise, you'll do massive recoil + iron barbs to it and revenge it with another pokemon. Either way, it either gets you out of a tough spot, or it helps you sweep!
It will never sweep. Just use a regular defensive Ferrothorn so you can have a very useful utility move over Curse.

why wont it sweep? Bulk up scrafty is slow and boosts defense. It gets drain punch, Ferro gets leech seed and iron barbs. If scrafty can sweep why cant ferro? Sure the tried and true wall works but a lategame set up sweeper works equally. If you remove all special attackers and fire/fighting types, ferrothorn will be able to wreck the opposing team slowly but surely.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
why wont it sweep? Bulk up scrafty is slow and boosts defense. It gets drain punch, Ferro gets leech seed and iron barbs. If scrafty can sweep why cant ferro? Sure the tried and true wall works but a lategame set up sweeper works equally. If you remove all special attackers and fire/fighting types, ferrothorn will be able to wreck the opposing team slowly but surely.
It's too fucking slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)