Festival Plaza

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So the next Global Mission's info has been revealed:

Task: Use Island Scan to capture or defeat 1,000,000 Pokémon
Duration: December 27th 2016 04:00 UTC - January 9th 2017 23:59
Reward: 2,017 FC (Success), 217 FC (Failure) - If the game is tied to a Global Link account: 4,034 FC (Success), 434 FC (Failure)

So, let's do some math. Between the 12/27 and 1/9 is 14 days. 1 million divided by 14 equals (rounded up) 71,429. So ideally we need at least 71,429 players to use Island Scan every day and either catch/knock out the Pokemon. Now, Sun & Moon reportedly broke sale records, being the fastest selling DS game and an article I read noted it sold 10 million copies worldwide. So even if 10% of those players sign up... we'd beat the challenge in one or two day.

So what I'm trying to say here is something doesn't quite add up. They must have gotten an VERY LOW participation level from the previous Global Mission for this one to have been set so low. That or they think Island Scanning might be difficult, I mean where are we going to find all those QR codes? Plus we don't have the catch the Pokemon this time, we can knock them out and it'll still count.

Overall, I think this one is doable, as long as its made clear how to sign up this time.

(BTW if this is the wrong thread to talk about this in please move it to the correct one).

Reward: 2,017 FC (Success), 217 FC (Failure) - If the game is tied to a Global Link account: 4,034 FC (Success), 434 FC (Failure)

So, let's do some math. Between the 12/27 and 1/9 is 14 days. 1 million divided by 14 equals (rounded up) 71,429. So ideally we need at least 71,429 players to use Island Scan every day and either catch/knock out the Pokemon. Now, Sun & Moon reportedly broke sale records, being the fastest selling DS game and an article I read noted it sold 10 million copies worldwide. So even if 10% of those players sign up... we'd beat the challenge in one or two day.

So what I'm trying to say here is something doesn't quite add up. They must have gotten an VERY LOW participation level from the previous Global Mission for this one to have been set so low. That or they think Island Scanning might be difficult, I mean where are we going to find all those QR codes? Plus we don't have the catch the Pokemon this time, we can knock them out and it'll still count.

Overall, I think this one is doable, as long as its made clear how to sign up this time.

(BTW if this is the wrong thread to talk about this in please move it to the correct one).
You also have to consider each person can do 4 islands per day right?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You also have to consider each person can do 4 islands per day right?
What? No, at best you can do two per day. Once you use an Island Scan that's it, its used up for the day. I don't think you can do one per island as once you catch/defeat one the Island Scan ends.

just because a game broke sales records doesn't mean there's high retention rates; that's not even a dig at pokemon games, just a fact of everything. its now a month out and the last global mission was an unmitigated disaster.

this specific mission also requires a little more work.Not too hard, but a lot of people weren't sure how island scan even worked in the first place.

Definitely is a low bar considering (with assumption) that there will a bit of a bump in sales for Christmas.

Last edited:
I am confused, there are score thresholds for both Global Link/Non-Global Link accounts? Does that mean that you can join without doing Global Link, or is the FC just for non-participants?

I am confused, there are score thresholds for both Global Link/Non-Global Link accounts? Does that mean that you can join without doing Global Link, or is the FC just for non-participants?
You havce to Game Synch your cartige to the PGL to get the 10x rewards that way you get connected automatically to PGL each time you go to the internet; otherwise you have to talk to the hawaiian lady in the castle every time and can only get the basic rewards

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Can someone post up a quick "Walkthrough" of how to do the Island Scan stuff? I am sure I am not the only person who has no idea how to use this function or to even activate it.

I legit have no idea how to get to and access this functionality in SM :(

Open up the X menu, click QR Scanner, scan 10 codes to get 100 points and then press X to Island scan.
Adding on to this, the Pokémon that appears is dependent on the day of the week and the island you are on when you hit the island scan button(ex:you can scan the qr codes on melemele and fly to akala, then press the island scan button, and akalas Pokémon for that day of the week will appear)

Press X. Tap tight once to cycle to other page if necessary of menu. Click QR Code. Scan 10 codes (use http://pokemongohub.net/pokemon-sun-moon-qr-codes/ ). After that, click a button to go to the island scan. Each island has a different scan per day. Scan Pokemon List, courtesy of Serebii. I guess if you want to be surprised this could be a spoiler?
From left to right: Melemele, Akala, Ula'ula, Poni
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

In addition to what people have said:
You can find two types of QR Codes:

• Normal QR Code: These QR Code patterns are displayed in your Pokedex when you catch Pokémon. Scan these QR Code patterns from https://imgur.com/a/EFOqs to earn 10 points for each scan.

• Special QR Code: These QR Code patterns are specially prepared for the QR Scanner. You’ll earn 20 points for each Special QR Code pattern scan. The Magearna Code is a Special QR Code. Other Special QR Codes can be found here https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/48e2bb06-eb05-4a77-9044-6ebf157fff59

Once you have earned at least 100 points in a single day by scanning QR Code patterns, Island Scan becomes available on the QR Scanner screen. Select Island Scan or press the X Button. Next, press the R Button or A Button to start scanning for a Pokemon that you won’t find elsewhere in Alola. When you pick up the trace of a nearby Pokemon, you’ll only 1 hour to find it and catch it, the Pokemon can appear on any route of the island you're currently on, so be ready. You can use this feature only once per day, in addition you cannot repeat codes at least not regular ones, haven't tried special ones yet.

The special ones available on the website are set so you can reuse them every day, I think. So I think you can get an extra pokemon every other day. Though, if the special QR codes can be reverse engineered, we might be able to get 2 a day.

I love how it's not even a day yet and we've already made more progress towards the goal (in terms of percent) than we did at throughout the entire first Global Mission.

So I've monitoring how much we make per day (around 40k) and doing the math we'll make 500k by the 9th

we are not gonna make it again

(plz everybody get a friend to join the mission :< )

Not too surprised, honestly.

As I pointed out before you still have to jump through hoops and this one requires remembering to do it every day and not forgetting to connect to the internet every time so your score gets actually added to it.
The fact even people really into the games weren't aware of how to do it without looking it up doesn't help and not everyone will (1) check the site and (2) check for further information on it.

Unless we get a big swing in the upcoming days they need to account for these factors + retention estimates. If they did a mission based on breeding (either eggs laid or eggs hatched) or battling they'd probably knock out the million goal since those are the clear goals of many people who either do it for fun, for the battle tree, for competitive battling, for pokedex completion (well, the eggs), etc

instead, watch them do something like "ok guys, lets go out and defeat 10 million wild pokemon"

e: It would also help if these missions lasted longer. Especially one like this one, which AT BEST you get 2 pokemon per day out of

You need to be connected to the Internet while knocking out/catching your Island Scan Pokemon to make it count? That's good to know.
No, stuff you do offline is recorded and then uploaded once you connect to the internet. Besides, you can't use the island scan in the Festival Plaza and you can't be online anywhere else so...

Btw guys, I can confirm that the special QR codes can be used multiple times a day.

the special QR code seems to have a cooldown low enough to be used on a 10-hour cycle, so you can use these and only these for getting island scan pokemon faster, at a rate of 2.4 pokemon per day

The special codes can be used one per island scan. You can just scan the 5 special codes, catch your Pokemon, and then immediately use the 5 again.

So just checking here: If I screencapped the special QR codes, can I use them after the mission ends Monday? I'd like to wrap up scanning islands after this thing is over (will be done the first two islands Monday).

Oh, and on the note of building trades, I have the following:

Rare Kitchen 5*
Treasure Hunt 5*
Kanto Tent 5*
Navy Blue 5*
Pink 5* (Bright Pink is the cat's meow!)
Treasure Hunt 2*

available to give to people if they would like.

I won't be home until after work today, but I have lots of stuff to give!
What can you give ? I am interrested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)