BW NU Fiery Bombardment! (Peaked #1)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Fiery Bombardment!

Introduction

I've been using this team for the past month and a half now and it has consistently been good, peaking at 1st with 1421 points or higher, since I took the screenshot right after a loss, as well as keeping three other alts in the top 10 for a extended period of time. I wanted to use a sweeper that was strong but could also take opponents by surprise; after testing out some Pokemon, I found that Marowak was perfect. It had enough speed to outrun walls and could hit extremely hard. It could deal a lot of damage to the balanced teams that were popular during that time.

The team utilizes a strong offensive core of Marowak and Magmortar to apply offensive pressure and eliminate each other's counters. Other members help check big threats roaming around since Magmortar and Marowak lack defensive synergy while also packing a punch. Hopefully, after counters and threats have been eliminated from the opponent's team, Rotom-F or someone else can clean up. Although by no means frail, this team is not meant to take hits and is played extremely aggressively.

Naisho no Hanashi, Tabi no Tochuu, and Credens Justitiam are also my Alts.

The Team

Armaldo (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- X-Scissor
- Rock Blast

Armaldo is listed first and is arguably the most important Pokemon on the team. I don't usually lead with it because it loses to things like Golem and Regirock. Armaldo provides Stealth Rocks which helps Marowak and Magmortar grab crucial KOs and limits the amount of times threats such as Jynx and Swellow can switch in. It also spins away rocks, allowing Magmortar to come in on Tangela or other walls with less pressure and making Rotom-F's job as a scout much easier. How I execute with Armaldo early on in the match often determines the outcome of the match.

Once it has done it's job, I like to save Armaldo later as a death fodder or to tank heavy attacks since the rest of the team with the exception of Vileplume have a hard time taking hits. Armaldo's bulk has impressed me a number of times, surviving attacks such as Magmortar's Fire Blast at full health, although its lack of resistances really hurts its ability to tank hits. With 383 attack, it also packs plenty of firepower, ensuring it will not be set-up fodder and dealing hefty blows to switch ins with X-Scissor and Rock Blast. I'm considering Earthquake over X-Scissor in order to hit steel and rock types harder, but it's rather situational and I don't want to give up the ability to do lots of damage on grass and psychic types; plus, the next team member handles them quite well...

Marowak (F) @ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
- Substitute
- Bonemerang
- Fire Punch
- Double-Edge

When I was first thinking of 'Mons to build a team around, I passed over Marowak because of its lack of recovery and slow speed. However after facing one on the ladder and witnessing its power and surprising bulk, I decided to try it out and never looked back. Marowak's main task is to weaken opposing walls so that the other team members have an easier time cleaning up. The number of Pokemon that can handle Marowak's attacks is ridiculously small and they all provide other team members with easy switch-ins.

One of the best points about Marowak is that it prevents most Sturdy Pokemon from setting up Rocks. Max speed Golem will outspeed, but if it decides to stay in it will be dead and Armaldo can spin the Rocks away later. I would use max speed myself for the speed tie, but I feel the HP EVs are crucial for helping Marowak take some hits, since it is so slow. There really isn't much to say about Marowak other than it wrecks stuff every time it comes in.

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang vs 252 HP/252 Def Quagsire: 26.14% - 31.22% [4-5 hits to KO (with Leftovers)]

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang vs 252 HP/252 Def Vileplume: 29.1% - 34.75% [4-5 hits to KO (with Leftovers)]

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang vs 252 HP/0 Def Lickilicky: 31.84% - 37.74% [3-4 hits to KO (with Leftovers)]

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang vs 212 HP/0 Def Golem: 58.47% - 69.49% [2 hits to KO]

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang vs 252 HP/0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 26.74% - 31.55% [4 hits to KO]

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Double-Edge vs 252 HP/252 Def Weezing: 39.22% - 46.41% [3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)]

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Double-Edge vs 252 HP/0 Def Mesprit: 54.4% - 64.29% [2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)]

Magmortar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I'm actually hoping Magmortar would move to NU so I can start making other teams without worrying about it running me over. Magmortar is the most powerful attacker on this team, even stronger than Marowak. It's easy to come in on a sleep move, Will-o-Wisp, or resisted attack and start plowing through the other team. Armaldo and Marowak are so efficient at keeping hazards off the field that even if the opponent sends in a counter, I can simply switch out and have another whack at them later.

This set is so standard and simple, yet so many teams have trouble dealing with Magmortar. I simply click Fire Blast whenever I switch in and then hit the switch-in with the appropriate coverage move. Misses are annoying, but thats the price you have to pay for such firepower. Magmortar is easily the MVP of the team, netting at least 1 or 2 kills every match.

Vileplume (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Aromatherapy

Vileplume plays a crucial role as the bulkiest member of the team. The rest of the team has trouble with fighting types, and Vileplume handles them extremely well. On top of that, it serves as the only water resist on the team and prevents SD Samurott and Seismitoad from running over the team. Vileplume also helps clear any status induced to the team, which is a godsend since this team HATES paralysis, burns, and such. The lack of Sleep Powder does not matter since common switch-ins to Vileplume like Magmortar and Swellow aren't even affected by sleep.

Vileplume has trouble with poison and bug types; it is easily set up on by Garbodor or Volbeat. It's bulk on the special side is also underwhelming; it is severly damaged by most Ice Beams and Psychics. Vileplume is probably the weakest link on the team, but at the same time, it plays an important role in securing crucial resistances that the team does not have, spreading status, and as a cleric.

Skuntank (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

In my opinion Skuntank is the best Pokemon in NU right now. It can check five of the top six Pokemon in the Feburary usage stats and is never dead weight. Skuntank serves as an emergency stop in so many situations and has saved my ass countless times. Without it, dangerous 'Mons like Absol, Magmortar, and Haunter would run right over my team. It also traps pesky psychic types, especially Grumpig, one of the few counters to Magmortar. Along with Vileplume, Skuntank absorbs Toxic Spikes, which can reduce the lifespan of my two wallbreakers.

Skuntank also does a good job of cleaning up late-game along with Rotom-F after the opposing team is weakened. Priority is a must-have in the fast paced NU metagame and Skuntank's Sucker Punch is one of the strongest. 184 speed EVs are used to outpace Adamant Absol. It also allows Skuntank to be a bit faster than defensive Cryogonal, so Skuntank can Pursuit and get an easy kill. More bulk would be nice, but as I stated before, Skuntank needs to be able to check Absol and kill it or else it could potentially sweep me.

Rotom-F @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last but not least, Rotom-F is the main revenge-killer and catch-all of the team. Just like Skuntank, it helps prevent a large amount of threats from sweeping the team. Rotom-F has some significant advantages over Rotom-S, namely resistances to electric and ice, the ability to beat Rotom-S itself one on one, and the fact that it looks much cooler (no pun intended).

The moveset is odd, as it has two ice type attacks and two electic type attacks. I used to have Trick in place of Hidden Power, but Blizzard misses against 1 HP Golems and such were hilarious, and I had never really used Trick anyways. Reliable, unresisted coverage is always nice, and allows Rotom-F to clean up nicely late-game.

Threats

Emboar: Probably the biggest threat; nothing on my team can switch into it. Slower versions are dealt with by Skuntank, Magmortar, or Rotom-F; faster versions have to be taken out by recoil damage or Rotom-F. Armaldo can also tank a hit and hit back hard but if it gets in on Vileplume or Marowak something is going to die on my team.

Magmortar: The boss; I usually have to Sucker Punch with Skuntank or hit it for ~60% with Rotom-F. It likes to switch in and try to OHKO Armaldo, but luckily for me a LO Fire Blast only does 84-99% so I can eliminate it.

Samurott/Simipour/Golduck/Swanna: Special variants of these Pokemon can do a lot of damage to the team. I like to switch in Vileplume to lure a Ice Beam and switch to Rotom-F for the kill, or just revenge it with Rotom if I want to keep it safe.

Jynx: Annoying because it always manages to get long sleeps or Ice Beam freezes against me. Magmortar can check it, but it's an extremely shakey job; Rotom-F can revenge while Skuntank can play mind games if it has already slept someone.

Absol: Annoying if it gets a crit on Vileplume and Skuntank is dead, but can be played around. Marowak and Armaldo can also take an unboosted Night Slash and KO back.

Conclusion

This team has had a lot of success and was a blast to play with. Although this team was not the first to utilize Marowak, I feel that it was responsible for bringing it into the spotlight as an anti-metagame threat. The team can still improve greatly, so feel free to rate and give suggestions!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Great team as always FLCL. I also like seeing how you use lesser used mons like Marowak and Rotom-F so succesfully.

To be fair, I don't fin any glaring weakness (bar the ones you already listed) and they are mostly showing that your team may enjoy having a bulky water, though there aren't many good on the tier, so huh.

Congratz on the peak!

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Thanks for the rate and compliment!

You're right about the team needing a bulky water, but unfortunately like you said the bulky waters in NU either lack offensive presence or are underwhelming defensively. On top of that none of the bulky waters in the tier can really fit into one of the roles performed by the team members :/

Curiosity, but why no Earthquake over Bonemarang? Is it because of Bonemarang being a multi hit move? But anyway, cool team man. I'd have to test to give a proper rate, but very creative sets. Kudos

watashi

World Defender
Yeah Bonemerang is pretty much there because it's a multi-hit move. It's crucial for breaking Sturdy on Golem, Bastiodon, Probopass and such. It also comes in handy against subbing 'Mons, although the 90% accuracy can really screw you over.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious about why you have Chlorophyll on Vileplume? You don't have the Speed even after Chlorophyll to beat any other Chlorophyll sweepers on Sun teams. You're also not using Sleep Powder, so Effect Spore is probably more helpful overall. I'm also curious about how well you fare against hyper offensive teams? From what I can tell, a set-up sweeper like Linoone can sweeper through your team with screen support. Still, I can't find too many problems with your team. Congrats on peaking!

watashi

World Defender
I'm curious about why you have Chlorophyll on Vileplume? You don't have the Speed even after Chlorophyll to beat any other Chlorophyll sweepers on Sun teams. You're also not using Sleep Powder, so Effect Spore is probably more helpful overall. I'm also curious about how well you fare against hyper offensive teams? From what I can tell, a set-up sweeper like Linoone can sweeper through your team with screen support. Still, I can't find too many problems with your team. Congrats on peaking!
I meant to have Effect Spore on Vileplume, didn't realize that I had Chlorophyll the whole time -__-".

Linoone is a huge threat and will sweep this team if it sets up. If I see Linoone in team preview I will try to get Marowak in at the same time as when the opponent switches in Linoone. Bonemerang has a change to KO after Rocks and Belly Drum even with Sitrus Berry and Screens factored in. If it's still alive after that, I'll have to rely on Skuntank's Aftermath to kill it off. It's a shaky strategy, but luckily I've only faced a few Dual Screens HO teams on the ladder.

Edit: Armaldo will also survive an attack and can deal some damage, but unless the opponent pulls out Linoone early, it's probably dead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)