1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

fiery mindgames (My OU sun offense team)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by qball, Apr 9, 2013.

1. qball

qball

Hello smogon here is my sun team with which ive had some moderate success and have been using it for over a month and i was wondering what you people thought about it.

Preview [pimg]466[/pimg] [pimg]467[/pimg] [pimg]395[/pimg] [pimg]667[/pimg] [pimg]196[/pimg] [pimg]38[/pimg]

[pimg]466[/pimg]
    edgy (Weavile) (F) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Ice Shard
    - Low Kick
    - Pursuit
    - Night Slash
    Weavile here is pretty much my only answer to the lati twins and all those pesky dragon types the plague the metagame. The expert belt is there instead of life orb since i pretty much only use weavile for its super effective moves. The 36 points in def instead of speed are there since it alloweds weavile to still outspeed ala and doesnt really lose anything other than being outspeed by another weavile(which are extremely rare in OU).
    ice shard,pursuit and night slash are pretty much self explanatory and low kick instead of brick break since OU is full of extremely big pokes weak to fighting.

[pimg]467[/pimg]
    Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 48 Def / 208 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Flash Cannon
    Some might question why i use Hp ice instead of fire on zone and the answer is simple. I use zone not as a steel trapper but rather as a ground bait since ice allows me to OHKO many of the double weak to ice ground types(which are all slower than scarfed zone provided they themselves aren't scarfed). the 48 points in defense prevent it from being OHKO by scarfed keldeo's secret sword (which is the only one that is faster than zone). volt switch allows me to keep some momentum and thunderbolt is a strong reliable stab for when zones counter are gone and i can freely use thunderbolt. Flash cannon is another stab moves with decent damage and allowes it to OHKO mamoswine and deals considerable damage to Kyurem-B.

[pimg]395[/pimg]
    nape (Infernape) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Fire Blast
    - Mach Punch
    - Stone Edge
    Good ole mixed nape with its awesome offensive stats. Stone edge allowes it to hit the flying dragons for considerable damage. Not to mention that nape resists both of volca's STABS and is faster so its my main answer to the annoying moth since it can OHKO with stone edge(except for the rare max defense volcarona) and even then it can be finished off with a mach punch. Close combat and fireblast as reliable STAB moves are self explanatory and blaze helps since its sashed so i get that nice extra fire damage. mach punch is mostly there to finish of any low hp pokemon. And as the fact that i dont have a life orb allows me to bluff that my nape is choiced letting me surprise my opponent.

[pimg]667[/pimg]
    mothra (Volcarona) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Flame Body
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    Volca here is my Ace in the hole. quiver dance, fiery dance and bug buzz are standard on any sun volcarona set and HP ground prevents it from being walled by heatran. Lum berry is there because there is nothing worse than having your sweep stopped by some sashed poke using spore or thunder wave. Finally the most important detail of any volcarona is to make sure its shiny because quite frankly if you have such an amazing shiny form its a waste not to use it.

[pimg]196[/pimg]
    Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 4 HP / 100 Def / 152 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Light Screen
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Reflect
    Espeon the key support to my team with its FANTASTIC ability and amazing speed allowing me to setup a screen/reflect before almost any attack. Espeon is most of the time the key to my team's success bouncing back the stealth rocks my opponents so desperately wants to place in order to cripply Volca. Psychic is there as a good stab move(debating on getting psyshock) and HP fire allows it to hit pretty hard in the sun almost always OHKO ferrothorn and taking down forretress, not to mention that being able to take down the naive scizor, who thinks my espeon is an easy prey to their pursuit, is priceless. Finally the points in defense allow espeon to survive many attacks(in particular it prevents a 2HK) from donphans earthquake since i can use reflect before the first hit, and allows it to take dugtrios physical attacks) and either let me set up one screen or flat out hit them back with a strong move

[pimg]38[/pimg]
    Ninetales (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - SolarBeam
    - Flamethrower
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Sunny Day
    And last but not least the most important part of any sun team our good friend the nine tailed fox. Solarbeam for hitting those pesky water types and also hits Ttar pretty hard. Flamethrower a reliable and strong stab that packs quite a punch in sun. Sunny Day on the politoed/Ttar switch in to keep momentum. Finally the Will-o-Wisp to cripple any offensive threats such as the likes of salamence, Ttar, and gyarados who think they can use ninetales as a free setup turn. The points in speed are key here in other to keep up with all the 100 base speeds pokes in the tier. Finally the lum berry is there since i cant afford any status to fall on my ninetales and also allows me to surprise my opponents who usually think i carry leftovers.

FINAL THOUGHTS: as for the fact that i dont have a spinner which makes my moth extremely vulnerable to stealth rock ive bypassed these problem by simply switching in on the predicted SR and since many of the obvious hazard setters cant do much to volca i proceed to set quiver dance and watch as they cant stop the moth's wrathful sweep. It is even better if they waste a turn thinking they can use a status move only to find out i have a lum berry.
  2. Electrolyte

Electrolyte On a short LoA
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hey there,

Cool team! You definitely have an issue with Rock types, however. Pokemon like Choice Scarf Terrakion can just spam Stone Edge and simply wreck this team, as Stone Edge hits half your pokemon for an OHKO and hits the rest for a 2HKO. Close Combat can also easily dispose of your Magnezone. Speaking of Magnezone, I think it's the weakest link to your team right now. You have absolutely no issues dealing with the Steel types that Magnezone is able to trap- in fact, it would be much better if you didn't trap and kill them, as most are setup bait for Volcarona. Instead of Magnezone, I suggest you try Trapper Dugtrio. Dugtrio is great at trapping and eliminating troublesome sun threats such as Tyranitar or Terrakion, wiping them out so that your sweepers have an easier time sweeping. It also provides Stealth Rock, which are of utmost importance for all teams, breaking sashes and sturdies as well as cleaving off 25% from pokemon that are weak to Rock, making them easier to take down. Dugtrio can also trap some steel types, mainly Heatran, who could also give Volcarona or Ninetales trouble.

Dugtrio set (open)

[​IMG]
    Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
    Jolly / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Reversal / Earthquake / Stealth Rock / Stone Edge

With the threat of Steel-types, Rock-types, and Fire-types relatively erased by the addition of Dugtrio, I don't think Volcarona really needs its HP Ground anymore. Instead, because you have a slight weakness to water types such as Jellicent, Rotom-W, or Keldeo, I urge you to try Giga Drain instead of Hidden Power Ground. This lets you nail Water types that would normally wall you to death, as well as heal yourself up, since Volcarona lacks recovery. This would be really useful when trying to take down Rain teams, since many defensive Rain pokemon can take Bug / Fire easily but not Grass.

Your Infernape set also looks a bit wacky. A sash is quite useless without a pivoting move or a support move, and if you want to use it as a lead, you could definitely try a better moveset. Instead of Mach Punch, I would definitely try U-Turn. Fighting type priority is pretty useless for this team since you already have Weavile, and U-Turn just provides so much utility that it's impossible to turn away from. It lets you scout opponents very quickly, pivot against switch ins for momentum, and generally force switches that will gradually wear down your opponent. Also, I'd use a Life Orb instead of a Focus Sash, for some extra boost in power, letting you KO more opponents and break through more walls.

Finally, I'd like you to try a different Espeon spread- as your current one is inefficient. I'd try a spread of simply 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe Timid, which gives you max speed and a considerable amount of bulk so you can sponge attacks. You sacrifice a bit of power, but that's ok as HP Fire still OHKOs everything it needs to and Psychic can still be used to defeat Tentacruel and Fighting types that are hard to muscle past.

One last thing; try Leftovers on Ninetales instead of a Lum Berry. Ninetales is your weather inducer, so keeping its longevity is crucial for the success of the team. The ability to heal is better than the ability to hold off of status for one turn, and Tails switches in and out a lot too so Toxic shouldn't bother it too much.

Good luck
  3. qball

qball

Thanks Electrolyte i'll definitely give dugtrio a try and try the changes to volca,espeon, and tales. Though i am still a bit reluctant to getting rid of infernape's sash since it has saved me so many times but i will at the very least give it a try.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)