Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
for some reason I found sl physics harder than hl math.

It's probably because I had a crazy physics teacher back in high school; he used to make tanks for the Iranian army and has a PHD in physics, yet for some reason he's teaching IB physics. The IB exam was way easier than any test he devised, though he was kind enough to give a significant boost with our predicted marks (somehow my low 80s was enough for a 7).

But I still found hl math exam easier than the physics sl.
Physics HL is pretty hard because our teacher doesn't teach. i had to self learn everything in waves, which was pretty difficult.

Math SL is... a bit harder than most people expected it. First test: 5 As, no Bs, 5 C+s, 9 Cs, 11 C-, and the rest fail (Approximately 60 people taking Math SL). But I still sleep in the class (it's in the morning period, from 7:00)

No one really knows that except the admissions officers, and they'll never tell. It's just a cocktail of various things that all add to the cause. Saying this beats that and I know a guy with shit SAT scores who got into this place are all just educated guesses.

Eraddd

One Pixel
umm, it's great that that's your opinion but honestly that's just not even close to true, or at least for selective universities. GPA is always the most important factor, along with rigor of courses. Not to mention having a very high SAT score and a bad GPA implies laziness and lack of motivation in school, whereas a high GPA and low SAT could just mean you are not a particularly good test taker - guess which is more desirable to colleges. Your GPA + school rigor gives colleges an idea of how well you'll be able to do if they were to admit you, ie lets them know if you'll be able to cope with their level of work etc. Your SAT score just tells colleges how good you are at standardized tests. With more and more kids getting taking SAT classes months before the test, it's becoming harder and harder to tell which kids are actually smart and which just had fancy tutors. While I won't deny the importance of the SAT, all in all I think standardized testing is probably among the least influential parts of your application.
So good SATs + 3.8+ GPA + Honours/AP/IB + Leadership in extracurriculars + College Essays is pretty much the key for universities, am I right?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Physics HL is pretty hard because our teacher doesn't teach. i had to self learn everything in waves, which was pretty difficult.

Math SL is... a bit harder than most people expected it. First test: 5 As, no Bs, 5 C+s, 9 Cs, 11 C-, and the rest fail (Approximately 60 people taking Math SL). But I still sleep in the class (it's in the morning period, from 7:00)
Yeah, well, get used to it.

I mean, it doesn't really get much better than that -- (aside from legacy, having connections, being recruited for a sport, being an under represented minority, being from a geographically underrepresented area...... urrrrrgh)
oh, those poor little white boys

I have a Latin test monday and I am going to fail it :3

So I have three interviews in two hours with my states congressmen's boards. To get into the Air Force or Naval Academies, I need a MoC's nomination, and tbh I'm pretty nervous.

Wish me luck guys. I've been preparing for this day for a while.

Eraddd

One Pixel
@Bam. Good luck, I know how stressful interviews are, and especially one that weighs heavily on your future.

Anyone have advice on which unis to apply to? I'm definitely going into a chemistry major, but I would like to go to a school with a decent symphony orchestra. I am applying to right now (in stone):

USC
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern

The ones I'm thinking about are:

U of Chicago (too many essays for my liking, especially with all the additional essays I'm doing for school/applications)
Rice University
Duke University
Amherst
Swarthmore
Oberlin
University of Washington - Seattle (dunno bout this one. I've heard conflicting reports)
Cal Tech (Problem is, my only two science/math activities are the Science olympiads, and Health awareness club, which probably isn't good enough)

And some Ivies (because they're a crapshoot)
Harvard
Cornell
Stanford
Yale

THe maybes are probably going to be cut into the remaining 4 universities. I need more suggestions please.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I know. I got used to it last year lmao. Self studying for SATs.
I'm just bitter about my shitty, unqualified profs in the course I'm taking right now who lack any sort of organizational skill, communication skill, or teaching ability.

My professors are good so far, though one of my CS professors is kinda meh, which is bad because he wrote the textbook we're using. D: But ah well, Java is pretty fun, so I've been able to keep up with it fairly well.

Anyway, to Eraddd, all I can really tell you about is Cornell, which is in the middle of nowhere, but there are enough people in the place that you should be okay if you don't really mind not being around a city. If you go for a chem major in Arts and Science, we have some other requirements, but in general it's like one class from a whole bunch of different humanities fields, which isn't so bad.

All in all, I like it so far, but if you can't deal with cold/the fact that the nearest real city is several hours away, I wouldn't go for it.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got conditional offer yesterday of AAB for History and Politics at University of Sheffield. Very happy, I'm on AAAB so should get the grades.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Caltech is also incredibly small and you literally cannot major in anything but science there. While I think Chicago just has a reputation for being full of nerds, I'm pretty sure Caltech is actually full of nerds.
Most tech schools generally don't have strong or existent non-science majors, not just Caltech.

You really shouldn't be thinking Caltech because "wow it's such a good college", you should be thinking it because you LOVE science and what makes Caltech different than Tech School X, mainly the honor code. This isn't applying to anyone in particular, I just hate seeing people put colleges on their list "because they are good". Most of the top 100 colleges are good.

Anyone have advice on which unis to apply to? I'm definitely going into a chemistry major, but I would like to go to a school with a decent symphony orchestra. I am applying to right now (in stone):
Can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say they're definitely going to be an x major and change it. Keep that in mind.

USC
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern

The ones I'm thinking about are:

U of Chicago (too many essays for my liking, especially with all the additional essays I'm doing for school/applications)
Rice University
Duke University
Amherst
Swarthmore
Oberlin
University of Washington - Seattle (dunno bout this one. I've heard conflicting reports)
Cal Tech (Problem is, my only two science/math activities are the Science olympiads, and Health awareness club, which probably isn't good enough)
Don't not apply to a school you actually want because you don't think you'll get in. Ever.

And do you really want to look back and go "well, the reason I didn't go here and my life didn't end up this way is because I didn't want to write an extra essay as an 18 year old"?

And some Ivies (because they're a crapshoot)
Harvard
Cornell
Stanford
Yale
lol stanford isn't an Ivy, what are you talking about

Ivies are pretty much as good as any other top university, just thousands more applicants. Keep that in mind.

The only real way to decide what school to go to is to visit every university you're thinking about, write down what makes it different, and see what best fits your priorities for an educational institution. You're going to learn a lot, have a lot of opportunities, and will be challenged by most of the top 100 universities you attend, so don't go "well I don't want to go to Case Western over Yale because Yale's a better education".

Why do you want to apply to any of the schools named? What makes them on your list?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
My company sponsors my ACCA studies. I have college on Mondays and work full time for the rest of the week. I qualify with 3 years of relevant experience and if I pass 14 exams. The material is fairly basic at the moment, but the pace of learning is rapid. It will get difficult very quickly once I get to the later modules, especially when I will have to juggle audits as a semi senior.

I am taking 3 courses every 6 months so I should be done with exams by January 2012, but I won't qualify until September 2012. The pass mark is 50% and there is only one prize for the highest score in the year. Unless you win the prize, there is no difference between 95% and 51%, so I just study a bit before the exam to score a safe pass.

F1 Accountants in Business

Mock: 71%
Final: 76%

F2 Management Accounting

Mock: didn't do it
Final: 84%

F3 Financial Accounting

Mock: 76%
Final: 62%

Edit: Just to clarify, I graduated in Summer 2008 and I have been working as an auditor since September 2009. Exams don't necessarily stop once you leave university.

Just got my grade back for my Honours year; First class, whoo.

There were 7 University Medals awarded to Physics, which is almost unheard of. The typical number is 3, or 4 at a push. Last year, Maths awarded 6 and there were complaints about it being too many.

Medals are awarded by the University (not the school), and so typically they require a High Distinction or very good Distinction average over all of your undergraduate science subjects, a HD average in your Honours classes and an exceptional or groundbreaking thesis (a mark of around 95+, although this component is somewhat political, and often depends on who your supervisor is).

My labmate and one of my best friends both got one, which is cool. (I was never in the running, I only have a Credit or low Distinction average).

Eraddd

One Pixel
You really shouldn't be thinking Caltech because "wow it's such a good college", you should be thinking it because you LOVE science and what makes Caltech different than Tech School X, mainly the honor code. This isn't applying to anyone in particular, I just hate seeing people put colleges on their list "because they are good". Most of the top 100 colleges are good.

I really do love science. I have a passion for chemistry and for physics. I've had great teachers who've shown me what science is all about, and now, since that I actually realized that I love sciences, I started focusing more on it during my senior year (I realized during junior year).

Can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say they're definitely going to be an x major and change it. Keep that in mind.

I know, but at this moment, it's a chemistry major. Change happens

Don't not apply to a school you actually want because you don't think you'll get in. Ever.

Confused about this one. You're telling me to either Apply even though I don't think I'll get in, or don't.

And do you really want to look back and go "well, the reason I didn't go here and my life didn't end up this way is because I didn't want to write an extra essay as an 18 year old"?

Problem is, I really don't measure up to U of Chicago's standards. I'm a decent student (top 3% in my grade), I have decent SAT scores (which weighs less and less now) and I have some extracurriculars and I have a passion for science and love to learn. However, I have not the best writing skills compared to my counterparts (Essays are not my strong point, which U of Chicago really emphasizes on) and I really don't have anything that makes me stand out. Compared to the applicants who were accepted in to U of Chicago, I really don't stand out

lol stanford isn't an Ivy, what are you talking about

It measures up to them. Even though it's not an Ivy school, it's still pretty darn good. But you're right.

Ivies are pretty much as good as any other top university, just thousands more applicants. Keep that in mind.

The only real way to decide what school to go to is to visit every university you're thinking about, write down what makes it different, and see what best fits your priorities for an educational institution. You're going to learn a lot, have a lot of opportunities, and will be challenged by most of the top 100 universities you attend, so don't go "well I don't want to go to Case Western over Yale because Yale's a better education".

I've visited Northwestern, U of Chicago, and USC. Northwestern is beautiful and I love it. U of Chicago was meh. Didn't like south side Chicago. USC was also pretty awesome. I can only consider the upper tier schools because as an international applicant, I need financial aid, and only the upper tier schools offer internationals aid...

Why do you want to apply to any of the schools named? What makes them on your list?

Mainly the financial aid they give to internationals, their intellectual reputation, and the fact that I want to go there to learn. Also because I want out of my home town in Canada.
Bolded

Well shit, Eraddd is basically a Canadian version of me. Chem major, plays in orchestra, meh writer, applying to top schools... Northwestern's even my top choice haha.

I'm also applying to Stanford and Yale, though those are pretty big reaches for me considering my minimal extracurriculars. My problem is, my parents are making me apply to other top schools (UChicago does have a lot of essays...) even though I can't really see myself at any of them. It took me forever to convince my parents I'm not applying to MIT or Caltech. Bleh.

Here's my list, if anyone wants to comment:

Northwestern
Stanford
Yale (financial aid is too good to pass up)
Duke
-------------
(other schools I have to apply to)
Princeton
UChicago
UPenn

cim

I'm saying apply to stretch schools.

Just because a school requires a lot of essays doesn't mean they won't take a student who doesn't have the most top notch writing skills. Knowing UChicago's app, based on what you said if you can write a passable essay you should get in.

Most schools on your list measure up to Ivies.

Northwestern is a great place, I'd recommend it from what I've heard / summer program experience. UChicago has smelly Tangermean there, don't consider it. :P

Eraddd

One Pixel
I'm saying apply to stretch schools.

Just because a school requires a lot of essays doesn't mean they won't take a student who doesn't have the most top notch writing skills. Knowing UChicago's app, based on what you said if you can write a passable essay you should get in.

Most schools on your list measure up to Ivies.

Northwestern is a great place, I'd recommend it from what I've heard / summer program experience. UChicago has smelly Tangermean there, don't consider it. :P
Tangerine goes to U of Chicago? LOL. No wonder he's so good at flaming people :P.

Northwestern is indeed awesome. I looked at it, and was like "yes i'm going there." ANd it's a great school, with a great location.

I guess there's no harm in trying out for U of Chicago. I might try I guess.

UChicago's app essays don't concern me (Stanford has 3 plus some short answer stuff), it's their "core curriculum" and how I'm probably going to spend more time just catching up on arts/humanities than my major. I do respect a balanced education, but UChicago's a little too much for me.

I'm hoping I can get accepted to at least a couple of the others for the sake of having options. I've got an in-state school as a safety too.

I've heard great things about Northwestern too, which is why I want to go there!

cim

UChicago's app essays don't concern me (Stanford has 3 plus some short answer stuff), it's their "core curriculum" and how I'm probably going to spend more time just catching up on arts/humanities than my major. I do respect a balanced education, but UChicago's a little too much for me.
Most schools you'll go to have a core curriculum that requires a decent amount of humanities courses. (RPI requires 7 or 8, one of the least humanities oriented schools you could be at) Granted UChicago's core is more intense, but you can't really get around it.

Eraddd

One Pixel

I'm hoping I can get accepted to at least a couple of the others for the sake of having options. I've got an in-state school as a safety too.

I've heard great things about Northwestern too, which is why I want to go there!
I have no problems with the humanities and english courses. In fact I enjoy them alot. English course is really good with my teacher as a professional actor, with lots of experience in the acting part of hte plays, making it easier for him to interpret plays. English is my highlight of the day.

History I'm pretty interested in also. Although both subjects require essay, it's just really interesting to learn about past events, and their connection to today's events.

Philosophy is just pretty mind fucking and awesome at the same time. I've never looked at the word "know" the same way. Currently I'm wriitng a paper on the induction of the Ideal Gas Laws, and also doing a presentation using a philosophical approach to nuclear power. Oh and my teacher recommended me doing my other philosophy presentation on quantum mechanics.

There's a lot of depth to quantum philosophy. One of the medalwinning Honours theses at USyd last year was about the differences between epistemilogical views of time and causality in a quantum model and potential experiments that could distinguish which the universe obeyed. (i.e. Copenhagen v.s Everett).

There's actually a special group within the Philosophy department here that is devoted to philosophical interpretations of quantum and physical principles, and they work with School of Physics quite a lot. One of the professors wrote a proof last year that in a universe where the second law of thermodynamics was reversed, you would still have causality, or vice-versa.

Got accepted to Auburn. Now my backup plan is set, just in case I can't get a decent scholarship to a better top tier school. 4.0 GPA(unweighted) and 26 act score may not be good enough for the Ivy League.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)