1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Final Team For Pokemon National VGC's In Birmingham

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Pichu12321, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Pichu12321

Pichu12321

Hey everyone. I keep making new teams and I think that this is my final one before the VGC's this saturday. Please rate and help me improve it if you can. Here it is:

Torndaus
    Nature-Impish
    Ability-Prankster
    Item-Flying Gem
    Stats at level 50:
    HP-148
    Attack-160
    Defense-83
    Special Attack-124
    Special Defense-100
    Speed-162
    Moves
    Tailwind
    Acrobatics
    U-turn
    Crunch

My aim for Tornadus is to send it out first and have it use Tailwind. Because of it's Ability and Speed, it should move first. I then have it use Acrobatics which does X3.5 more damage due to STAB and it's Flying Gem. If things are looking grim for Tornadus, I have it use U-turn for a quick escape.

Slaking
    Nature-Impish
    Ability-Truant
    Item-Life Orb
    Stats at level 50:
    HP-220
    Attack-203
    Defense-128
    Special Attack-102
    Special Defense-108
    Speed-106
    Moves
    Earthquake
    Hammer Arm
    Giga Impact
    Rock Slide

I normally send Slaking out second along with Tornadus. If I think that it will do sufficient damage to the opponent, then I will make him use Giga Impact which should normally make the opponent faint because of Giga Impacts Power, Slaking's Attack stat and STAB. Unfortunately, because of Truant, it can only attack once every other turn. Also, I have all of my Pokemon learn Protect apart from Tornadus in case Slaking uses Earthquake so it doesn't hit them or Torndaus because of his type.

Mienshao
    Nature-Brave
    Ability-Regenerator
    Item-King's Rock
    Stats at level 50:
    Hp-128
    Attack-184
    Defense-75
    Special Attack-101
    Special Defense-68
    Speed-127
    Moves
    Fake Out
    Drain Punch
    Rock Slide
    Detect

What I do with Mienshao is have it use Fake Out on the first turn that it is out. I then normally use Rock Slide to hit both Pokemon and make them more likely to flinch because of Mienshao's King's Rock. If it is running low on HP, I make it use Drain Punch to regain HP and possibly make the target flinch.

Jellicent
    Nature-Modest
    Ability-Cursed Body
    Item-Choice Scarf
    Stats at level 50:
    HP-201
    Attack-63
    Defense-83
    Special Attack-143
    Special Defense-119
    Speed-66
    Moves
    Water Spout
    Protect
    Brine
    Shadow Ball

I send Jellicent out when the opponent is using a Terrakion and Whimsicott, Weavile, etc. I have it use Brine normally because when I attack with Water Spout, he pretty much moves last. And when he does attack, he has either fainted or is low on HP. So Brine Does X2.5 as much damage due to STAB and being under half of it's HP. I also use another pokemon to up it's Water-type attacks.

Politoed
    Nature-Relaxed
    Ability-Drizzle
    Item-Metronome
    Stats at level 50
    HP-156
    Attack-85
    Defense-89
    Special Attack-138
    Special Defense-121
    Speed-101
    Moves
    Protect
    Ice Beam
    Scald
    Psychic

I only send out Politoed when I am also sending out Mienshao or Jellicent. If I use Politoed with Jellicent, then his Water-type moves, Brine and Water Spout, will be more powerful. And Politoed's Scald will hit with more damage, and if I use it more than once in a row, then it will do more damage due to his Metronome.

Ninetales
    Nature-Hardy
    Ability-Drought
    Item-Wise Glasses
    Stats at level 50:
    HP-133
    Attack-93
    Defense-84
    Special Attack-133
    Special Defense-105
    Speed-138
    Moves
    SolarBeam
    Extrasensory
    Flamethrower
    Protect

I never send out Ninatales with Jellicent or Politoed because of his ability since Jellicent mainly uses Water-type moves and I wouldn't know if the weather would be sunny or rainy because of their weather abilities. I make Ninetales use SolarBeam because it will hit without the need to charge unless the opponent changes the weather and Flamethrower will hit with more damage because of the weather.

That's my team. Please rate and wish me luck in the Competition.
  2. Drifblim

Drifblim

Everything here has quite unfavourable Iv's. Some of the items are gimmicky, like King's Rock, or underpowered, like Wise Glasses. The boost items like these provide is quite marginal. Hardy is bad on Ninetales, you should use a nature which lowers your physical attack stat because you don't even use it. Brave is bad on Mienshao because it lowers your speed, and Mienshao is frail enough it wants to attack first most of the time. Use a nature that lowers your special attack, as you don't use it at all. This team needs a fair bit of work concerning evs as well....
  3. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Check here to find RNG'd (and often EV trained as well) Pokémon to help out your team. If you use stuff that's less than perfect, then you're just putting yourself at a disadvantage before the tournament even starts.

As Drifblim pointed out, the team has some issues, but I think the first thing you need to do is get rid of Jellicent's Choice Scarf. With 66 Speed, it's still going to be slower than a ton of stuff even after the boost, so you're locking it into one move for almost no benefit.
  4. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

Slaking is awful at the VGCs due to the common Protect, I'd get rid of him.

And why would you run Protect on a Jellicent with a Choice item? Also get rid of Brine, it's a horrible move.

Tornadus should also run Protect and have a better nature, along with other of your Pokes.
  5. Aiya

Aiya

I'd actually recommend using Substitute over Protect on Tornadus to take full advantage of Prankster, and maybe lead with Tornadus + Mienshao to counter slower Fake Out users that could cause Tornadus problems. Once a sub is up though, you can really wreak havoc on a lot of teams by forcing them to double-target.
  6. Kiyo

Kiyo

In addition to running Pokemon with better IV's, EV's, etc. There are some obvious flaws in your thinking suck as jellicent using protect on a choice scarf set (it may come in handy to fool your opponent but it means you have to switch immediately) and thinking that brine is 2.5x when YOUR jellicent is half HP, that effect applies to the opponent

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)