Finding the nature of unhatched eggs! (Discovery)

I've been doing this trick when I've been IV breeding my Pokemon. I guess that's what everyone else is doing. lol

I read about this on Gamefaqs like way back when the game came out... it works, it just sounds tedious but its not that hard.

There's an easier way:

First put your egg in a box next to a different Pokémon. E.g., I put my egg into my Electric Box, which is next to my Fire box. The top left in my fire box is Magmortar so I put the egg in the electric box in the top left. OK, go to Magmortar, and wait. It'll show "Fire" and then you count to 5 and then press l/r whichever way that box is. So I press "r" as my electric box is to the right. The nature of the egg will flash, and then go away. Sometimes, you'll also be able to see what type it is. Like Ghost/Poison for Gastly or what not.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can you also use this to see the stats of the Pokemon? Usually it won't matter at level 1, but for some it may allow you to discriminate between "low" and "high" IVs.

I wouldn't expect so Obi as you can only see the pokemon's nature / type / trait / hold item (which shouldn't work on the egg). Just tried the new one out and it works great. I found my chikorita's nature was jolly, type was grass and trait was overgrow.

What I found it that it takes 5 seconds to scroll through each one, you have to wait about 4 and a half seconds and then press l/r. It will then briefly show the eggs info on the thing it was changing to (ie if it was type, then you'd see nature).

Edit: a better way to count it is if you wanna see the type, let the finger on the hand move up and down 4 times, then press l/r; if you want the nature, let it go 8 times and normally you'll see the type scrolling down to the nature. I didn't check ability but I'm guessing it's 12.

Anyway, what's the point of this? If you're SRing, then you would already know the nature of the pokemon (hopefully). If you're not, you're probably mass-breeding, in which case nature won't matter. If you pass up the egg because of a bad nature, you still have to hatch it eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)