Fire Emblem Fates

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also currently stuck at Ch 25 Conquest Lunatic, which is a ridiculous pain in the ass. Nearly all of the enemies having Inevitable End encourages waiting to recoup your stat losses, but the soft 20-turn limit makes a mockery of that. A number of factors in my personal situation add difficulty to this: Camilla is currently a Sorcerer so that she can pick up Vengeance and Bowbreaker and is thus basically useless against Ninjas, Niles and Silas don't have Shurikenbreaker yet (but they're close), and Effie is slightly overleveled and therefore can't afford to dip back into General in hopes of picking up Wary Fighter (...Or can she? It would mean losing access to Axebreaker long run, but Aegis/Luna/Pavise/Sol/Wary Fighter General might be better than Aegis/Axebreaker/Pavise/Sol/Wary Fighter anyway).

Also fuck those Lunge Spy Yumi Puppets. Uncalled for, Conquest. Uncalled for.
I'd get Cam back into an Axe-wielding class ASAP, Vengeance and Bowbreaker are just luxuries at this point and she prefers the skills from Wyvern/Malig (Swordbreaker is useful in 26, Trample is OP). If she has S Arthur or Keaton you can make her a Berserker for this map, it might give her enough power to OHKO Ninjas which is very helpful. If you don't have Shurikenbreaker yet on Niles/Silas and you have an extra Paralogue definitely go feed them till they learn Shurikenbreaker (if you haven't recruited Shigure or Kana yet those are good maps to feed on since they are really easy, or if you haven't gotten Nina yet just recruit her and then Offspring Seal to Bow Knight and she'll learn it automatically), that skill makes the chapter so much easier. If you can beef up Effie's Str enough to one-shot Ninjas with a Javelin or Hand Axe that will definitely make up for not having Wary Fighter since she can just kill them on counters.

Corrin can tank Ryoma pretty easily with the Dragonstone+ and some meds if they have enough Speed to not be doubled, he will attack at range so you don't have to worry about stone debuffs. I wasn't able to make the turn limit since I took each side one at a time but a sufficiently beefy Corrin can just tank Ryoma until you open the doors and can run in units better suited to fighting him.

Entrap and/or Freeze staves are effective at handling the Puppets. I like to save one Entrap staff for this map just to dispatch the two puppets on the left, makes that side a lot easier.

If you think 25 is bad, wait till you see 26. :P

I saw someone cheese it by capturing that super Rallyman (a Master of Arms with like 4 Rally skills). It turns out that the Rallies go through the wall there so if you have anyone with good rallies you can just put Corrin against the wall, Rally, send him to attack, and repeat until he's dead. It's worth a shot if you don't care about the other EXP/items.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
22:19 moonbound: I did play tactics ogre though, and that game made me realize modern fe is just huniepop w/ the shitty bejeweled gameplay replaced with shitty advance wars gameplay

Glad to see this. Hopefully this means more money will be poured in to making the games, advertising, etc.

Regarding the mobile game, it seems pretty interesting. My assumption is that it will be a spin off of fates or awakening with much smaller, simplified maps, varied objectives, and permadeath, with micro-transactions being the only way to revive a lost unit. Seems like it could be fun if done right.

Counting Conquest and Revelations, I've only played 4 FE games, but Fates is easily my favorite FE game(s), and my favorite game(s) in general. I just love everything about them. I'd have to say that out of the 2 Fates games I've played, Revelations is definitely my favorite, though I got Conquest first. My favorite character personality wise just HAS to be Percy, his VA being the same guy who VA'd Pit from KI:U doesn't hurt either :^). As for my favorite unit to use in battle, I'd say it's a three way tie. The Avatar, Effie, and Ryoma. All of them are just so good and fun to use. On all my Fates runs, I just do Classic/Normal, since I'm only o.k at Fire Emblem. I might do a Hard or Lunatic Classic run on Revelations since I can grind, though I'd never dream of doing that on Conquest. Also, I happened to marry my avatar to Azura on Revelations, and then I got to ch.24... Incest is Wincest I guess.

B-but... Fates in general had a really bad storytelling; the writting team dropped the ball on this one, in my opinion ( Conquest's gameplay is absolutely fantastic, though. Chapter 10 had me like: wow ). The sheer stupidity among the cast was almost a direct insult to the player ( as much as I obviously love Xander, his BR & RV selves are stupid af, specially on Revelation. Garon is literally shouting "DESTRUCTION TO BOTH KINGDOMS!" and yet he insists that "father caaant be evulll!!" for longer than I'm confortable with, and that's not to say what a shitty self-insert Corrin is; I'd have more simpathy for this Mary Sue if he weren't supposed to be my avatar but rather his own character.

Oh and I almost forgot how Revelation nerfed to hell out of my beloved Odin for no reason, AT ALL. MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES IN AGONY!

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I think at least part of the issue lies w/ the really shoddy translation job that fates, and modern fire emblem in general, has always had.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think the negative aspects of the localization are overblown, but it definitely could have been better. There are certain aspects they should have changed, like making Soleil a lesbian marriage option (why the fuck is it Rhajat?!?) when the were apparently willing to gut out most of her straight S Supports.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think the negative aspects of the localization are overblown, but it definitely could have been better. There are certain aspects they should have changed, like making Soleil a lesbian marriage option (why the fuck is it Rhajat?!?) when the were apparently willing to gut out most of her straight S Supports.
u kidding me? Rhajat as a lesbian option makes perfect sense LOOOL soleil should be able to marry more females tho. Silas > niles would've made more sense as a gay marriage option as well but ehhhhhhhhhhh. One of my favorite things about the localization is the beruka/saizo c support which tbh is one of my favorite support dialogues and one of the few i remember by heart. Here you go for those that haven't watched it yet.

Karxrida

u kidding me? Rhajat as a lesbian option makes perfect sense LOOOL soleil should be able to marry more females tho. Silas > niles would've made more sense as a gay marriage option as well but ehhhhhhhhhhh. One of my favorite things about the localization is the beruka/saizo c support which tbh is one of my favorite support dialogues and one of the few i remember by heart. Here you go for those that haven't watched it yet.

Rhajat is creepy, that's my problem with her.

Yeah, Silas definitely made more sense as a gay option, but I guess they wanted to keep it even between the non-Rev games for whatever reason. They could have fixed that by making Azura a lesbian option (which also should have been a thing).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think at least part of the issue lies w/ the really shoddy translation job that fates, and modern fire emblem in general, has always had.
False claim.

The translation did a ton of work behind the scenes. Dialogue is written sharper and flows at a better pace, motivations are made clearer, and characterization is changed to be more appropriate for the situation (see JP Nohr!Corrin's justification for joining Nohr at the beginning basically amounts to "idk lol", JP Camilla's support with Hinoka, etc).

Modern FE translation has gotten significantly better since the dry GBA/Tellius games.

The Tellius localizations are very good, easily better than fates. FE9 has the most consistent quality support writing by far, and 10 replaced support conversations with base convos which are actually way better. The only notable questionable decisions in the Tellius localizations are the naming and changing of the difficulty settings, which have nothing to do with the writing.
That said the Fates localization didn't introduce any significant issues that weren't already there, and the only localizations worth complaining about are the ones that don't exist (12 is still the best 'modern' fire emblem in every way except for the shitty introduction of stupid, busted self insert characters).

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I haven't played much of the OG fire emblem games, so my commentary might be off, but I'm just going off of the weird errors when imo the OG version might also of had some gaping issues.

Karxrida

I think we can all agree that Fates has a bunch of stupid stuff in the narrative regardless of what translation you're reading. It's too bad, since the basic idea of Conquest's story is actually interesting.

Yeah, the storytelling wasn't the best. I understand why the Rainbow Sage died, he was old af. But why did Izana(I think that's his name?) have to die after giving his message? Also, yeah, the characters can be super dumb.

The Tellius localizations are very good, easily better than fates. FE9 has the most consistent quality support writing by far, and 10 replaced support conversations with base convos which are actually way better. The only notable questionable decisions in the Tellius localizations are the naming and changing of the difficulty settings, which have nothing to do with the writing.
That said the Fates localization didn't introduce any significant issues that weren't already there, and the only localizations worth complaining about are the ones that don't exist (12 is still the best 'modern' fire emblem in every way except for the shitty introduction of stupid, busted self insert characters).
Remember the Japanese excuse for why the Black Knight didn't die in FE9 and why he went "easy" on you "lol warp powder glitch" versus like "I knew you still had room to improve" or something like that. Now THAT was an improvement in our translation

Karxrida

Yeah, the storytelling wasn't the best. I understand why the Rainbow Sage died, he was old af. But why did Izana(I think that's his name?) have to die after giving his message? Also, yeah, the characters can be super dumb.
Izana died because communing with the gods costs something (a lá spell components in Dungeon and Dragons), and he literally paid with his life. The reasoning actually makes sense for the setting, but him dying over it was unnecessary for the story (especially since whatever god he was talking to was a dick and gave a short and vague message).

Izana died because communing with the gods costs something (a lá spell components in Dungeon and Dragons), and he literally paid with his life. The reasoning actually makes sense for the setting, but him dying over it was unnecessary for the story (especially since whatever god he was talking to was a dick and gave a short and vague message).
I did think that message was...a bit underwhelming for a message worth someone's life. I would have been more direct and just said "See the Rainbow Sage". The rest of the story doesn't really even need to change. You just need to explain the roundabout way to get to the port.

Karxrida

I did think that message was...a bit underwhelming for a message worth someone's life. I would have been more direct and just said "See the Rainbow Sage". The rest of the story doesn't really even need to change. You just need to explain the roundabout way to get to the port.
The game is so bad about letting you know where you are in relation to everything else that they probably could just BS it without anybody noticing. All I know for sure is that Nohr is West and Hoshido is East.

The main issues I had with the story was that a lot of what was going on was unclear. I never really understood many of the character's motives, the setting of the story, how the royal family males obtained the sacred weapons, etc. Personally, I felt the game should have had a brief overview of the location and what is going on at the beginning of each chapter like past FE games had, as it would have cleared up a lot of my confusion with the story.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I am going to be quite blunt here and say that my Silas and Peri seem to be terrible to the point where they are unusable. Silas just gets doubled (and usually killed) by everything passed chapter 17 and can't do enough damage back to be useful. Peri I could never get going due to how poorly she dushed and took hits. I could never get a Peri kill snowball going in order to get her the experience she needed.
I am curious to see how bad my Silas is thoughwhen compared to others since I read that he is usually pretty good.

Lvl 17
Str 16
Mag 0
Skl 14
Spe 13
Lck 13
Def 14
Res 9
I have a hunch he got shafted by growth rate rolls.

As for the run itself, I lost Niles early, but Shura appears to be a very capable replacement alongside Kaze. I am liking where the story (Conquest of course) is going around this chapter (20). Benny and Effie have been kingpin and queenpin at keeping litterally everthing Kaze, Corrin, Felicia, Odin, Mozu, and Arthur can't handle at bay until the enemy numbers have been reduced to a point where the map becomes manageable. Nyx fell very far behind along with Peri, Selena, and Laslow. Arthur was about to until he decided to crit everything in his path in paralogue 2 and went from lvl 16 to 20. The biggest problem I have found in Conquest is hitting things consistently. It is very hard to confirm a kill when your army has 80-85ish percent hits on most enemies at best. Corrin, Kaze, and Felicia have been the only units who have been able to consistantly kill or deal damage which is a big problem. Hopefully Arthur can do the same as them now that he is a Hero, we shall see.

Silas has a lot of "average" growths and due to randomness it's not unlikely that he will get shafted in something. It happened in my Conquest game, but in Birthright he was actually ridiculously good. To put things into averages for you:

At level 17, Silas SHOULD have (assuming Conquest)
HP: 27.5
Str: 17.6
Mag: 0.55
Skl: 15.6
Spe: 13.5
Lck: 13.05
Def: 15.5
Res: 8.3

So, you didn't list his HP. However, I'd say you DID get shafted but you aren't TOO off of the average here. You were screwed by a few points in Strength, Defense, and Skill. Overall, in Conquest, Silas is pretty...mediocre compared to other routes. His daughter has the potential to be excellent though. In Revelations, I paired him with Mozu and somehow ended up with a top tier daughter thanks to Aptitude REALLY helping the growths out.

Kaze gets strength screwed REALLY easily (and if you play Birthright you'll see how much better Kagero gets as a unit over Kaze). He doesn't really grow it TOO much and it doesn't help that hidden weapons are weaker. However, he's your only ninja unless you reclass Laslow. And he IS very capable at mage killing. I would routinely drop him in a middle of a bunch of mages in any path and watch him clean house.

Nyx really is bad in like both routes. The best thing about her is that she hits like a truck when she hits. But...in Pokemon terms, imagine if you were a Choice Specs Frost Rotom with just Thunder and Blizzard. You'd fuck things up hard, but good luck consistently hitting anything. Arthur and Charlotte are characters that tend to either miss or crit - ESPECIALLY with a Killer Axe in hand.

The main difference between Hoshido units and Nohr units are that Hoshido units are your quick dodgetanks while Nohr units tend to be more solid. So not doubling everything in Conquest and having less than 100% accuracy should be expected when you're up against Samurai, Ninjas, and Sky Knights. Literally, Niles, Shura, and Kaze are your main speedy people in Conquest. Selena could be too but she's like a mix between speedy and strong to the point that she probably ends up being either screwed or amazing.

Oh yes, did you get the Flame Shuriken yet? If you did, Felicia has her eyes for it. It turns her from a staffbot into a good cleaner (like someone to kill a unit behind Effie or Benny guarding a chokepoint if you love using them)

BTW, I have a theory that Nyx is actually like a Jeigen character mixed with a standard unit. Nyx claims to be decades old. Most Jeigens are in their 30s at minimum with like Gunter, the original Jeigen/Jagen, and FE6 Marcus being clearly old farts. Most Jeigens (especially those three that I listed) have shit stats and growths. Nyx has shit stats and aside from her magic, speed, and resistance stats her growths are practically nonexistent. So, it's clear that being old affects your stat growths!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)