1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Fire / Water / Grass Core UU

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by msticky51, Oct 4, 2012.

1. msticky51

msticky51

With this UU team, I decided to play is safe to begin with and stick with the Fire/Water/Grass core. It was done pretty well but could use some tweaking so any suggestions would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz: Incredibly powerful STAB physical Fire attack that I’m able to hit anything hard with when paired with Sheer Force.
    - Rock Slide: My answer to revenge killing weakened Flying types and is boosted by Sheer Force. Also is a nasty surprise for a correctly predicted Chandelure or Arcanine switch.
    - U-turn: Reason why I usually lead with him. I can see what I’m up against and switch out/scout while doing reasonable damage
    - Earthquake ===> Superpower: Although the attack and defense drop is nasty, upon removing mienshao, i found myself with a huge snorlax weakness and superpower seems to cover that nicely

Darmanitan is the Fire that ignites the intense passion of my team… Not really. I got sick of seeing so many Chandelures everywhere, so when it came to the Fire member of my Fire/Water/Grass core, I went a little different and chose Darmanitan. He has a huge Attack stat, especially for UU and can bulldoze through a weakened team with Flare Blitz, assuming the opponents Flash Fire user is gone. Darmanitan is great for revenge killing and even can take a chunk of damage away with u-turn. Granted his survivability is not great due to its weakness to SR and Flare Blitz recoil, but when equipped with a choice scarf, it’s fast and hits like a truck.

[​IMG]

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Scald ===> Hydro Pump: It was getting incredibly ridiculous how I never once got a burn... ever... Im not even kidding. It was pissing me off so badly. So I just went for more power
    - Toxic: Useful for stalling and statusing on switches
    - Rapid Spin: Hazards really hurt Darmanitan and Zapdos
    - Roar: Scouting and Phazing… That’s about it. Prefer over dragon tail due to its ability to hit through a sub

How fitting to use the original Water member for my core. While it may seem unassuming, Blastoise really holds my team together. He spreads a lot of useful status, phazes set up sweepers (hello crocune) and also works as a defensive tank to threats like Moxiecross and other physical attackers. Although rain is rarely ever used in UU, Torrent was not exactly useful as Blastoise is pretty easily picked off when in range where Torrent would be useful. Like I stated earlier, I needed a spinner so I chose Blastoise because it acts as my spinner, phazer and status spreader, not to mention a valuable physical wall.

[​IMG]

Shaymin @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Air Slash/Hidden Power Fire: Although HP Fire is more common on shaymin, two of my other members have fire coverage so air slash can ohko on the switch for heracross as well as being slightly more powerful on grasses and bugs. Plus the flinch chance is always nice.
    - Seed Flare: very powerful STAB with a large chance to half the opponents spdef
    - Earth Power: good coverage and can cause big damage to chandelure switch-in
    - Rest ===> Synthesis: Can recover hp without having to switch, plus with weather being virtually nonexistent, it can reliably recover half health

Underestimate this little cutie at your own peril. Shaymin completes my fire/grass/water core. It works well as my special attacker, especially as it can absorb status from Tangrowth (a big threat to mienshao) and cause major damage with air slash while being immune to leech seed. Shaymin, while not defensive, is surprisingly bulky and can take a neutral hit.

[​IMG] ===> [​IMG]

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
    Trait: Mummy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room: whoa... a fast coffin with four arms... commence nightmares
    - Shadow Ball: STAB... thats about it
    - Hidden Power Fighting: Perfect coverage with shadow ball
    - Nasty Plot: turns Cofag into a deadly bulky sweeper

Although I used to have Mienshao in this spot, it was suggested that i switch Zapdos for Cofagrigus to cover my fighting weakness while still having a defensive tank that hits hard. However, upon testing without Zapdos, I realized just how important Zapdos was to my team and just how much I relied on its STAB and EQ immunity. So i needed to put Zapdos back on this team, and realized that although Mienshao is fast and powerful, it rarely was that useful in my battles and was 90% of the time, the first one fainted. Cofag is scary good. Although I was incredibly skeptical in the initial stages of BW, revisiting it proves how wrong I was. Cofag can switch into choice locked Heracross and Flygon, set of trick room, usually get a nasty plot off, and proceed to wreck.

[​IMG]

Zapdos @ Leftovers ===> Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 200 Def / 52 Spd ===> 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Bold Nature ===> Timid Nature
    - Heat Wave: Hits steel and grass switches
    - Thunderbolt: STAB move with preferred accuracy
    - Toxic: Spread status on switches and stalls ===> Hidden Power Grass
    - Roost: Recovery to help win stall wars

Bulky Zapdos works as a great defensive pivot who can reliably counter physical attacks with a resistance to fighting attacks as well as an immunity to ground attacks. Additionally, zapdos can almost always survive a non-STABed stone edge. Zapdos is very hard to kill and despite its weakness to sr, it can usually stay alive long enough to recover.

I switched from Bulky Zapdos to attacking Zapdos because i missed the eq immunity and the electric STAB. Zapdos has the magic base 100 speed and can hit hard with 125 base spatk. Although it doesn't have the durability that bulky Zapdos does, my addition of Cofagrigus works as my defensive pivot that bulky Zapdos previously was. Plus I just love Zapdos

[​IMG]

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD ===> 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake: powerful STAB that hurts anything that isn’t immune
    - Megahorn: For slowbro, slowking, and claydol
    - Stealth Rock: Hazards… gotta have em
    - Rock Blast: rock STAB that breaks subs and sashes

Rhyperior can tank a number of different common types in UU and even takes less than 50% from an Ambipom seed bomb. This is my hazard setter as it causes many switches in fear of its powerful EQ. Its rock secondary typing provides the edgequake coverage and megahorn can be used to hurt the common grass or slow- switchins.
  2. Jackkkkkkk3

Jackkkkkkk3

Few threats in Weavile/Offensive Togekiss/Scarf Melloeta/Life Orb Zapdos
    Other than that its really good, 3 Pokemon weak to ice is the only negative thing anyone could really say. But Darmanitan/Rhyperior/Mienshoa/Zapdos all have moves to hit ice types super effective anyways.
    All in all, very solid team.
  3. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown An obsession with the past is like a dead fly
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey,

This is a cool team, and it looks pretty solid both offensively and defensively, but I have some ideas to help you improve the team. The first thing I have noticed is the huge weakness your team has to Raikou, as your only kind of check is Rhyperior, which can be easily worn down if Raikou is using Hidden Power Grass, or simply does a good prediction. This could be easily fixed if you changed Rhyperior's EV Spread to a Specially Defensive one, as with a spread of 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD, Rhyperior will be able to check Electric-type pokemon much more effectively.

Secondly, I think that your team has quite a weakness to Fighting type pokemon, like Heracross or Mienshao, because your only answer to them is weak to Stealth Rock and can't switch in reliably. I think Cofagrigus could be a good replacement for Zapdos, as it gives you a better Heracross check, and it can also be a soft check to pokemon like Mew or Physical Kingdra, as well as acting as a sweeper thanks to Nasty Plot and Trick Room. Here's the set:

Cofagrigus@Leftovers | Mummy
    Quiet Nature | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    Nasty Plot / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting / Trick Room
  4. msticky51

msticky51

DestinyUnknown, would I keep the adamant nature when using the ev spread you suggested?
  5. Iminyourcloset

Iminyourcloset OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Hey msticky51, pretty awesome team.
    I really don't have much to say, except a couple nit-picky things.
    I suggest you consider Synthesis over Rest, if you want, because shaymin, w/ 100/100/100 defenses, is fairly bulky enough to use synthesis. the only thing is: only 50% HP, but you don't have to switch, which is nice.

One other thing, I would pretty much second what Destiny Unkown suggested for Rhypherior. I assume you would keep the adamant nature, although I'm not 100% sure.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)