1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First 5th Gen Uber Team (1700 Ranking on PS)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Rord64, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Rord64

Rord64

Hello everyone! I recently upgraded to 5th gen, and I'm taking my first shot at an Uber team, and s far this one has brought me awesome fortune against all kinds of teams. Of course, no team is without faults, and I am here to see what everyone says about my team and what I can do to improve it.

Here's a preview:

*Changes in bold*

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And now for the details: :

[​IMG]
    Spaceman(Deoxys-A)@Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 ATK / 252 SPA / 4 SP
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Naive
    -Ice Beam
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Superpower
    -Stealth Rock

This spread may seem strange, but the maximum attack EV's give a good chance to OHKO Ferrothorn with Superpower after SR damage, who likes to switch in on me thinking it can force me out. Deoxys-S leads just go about there routines setting up entry hazards, allowing me to set up my own and proceed to take them out with SB. The focus sash is a little trick I like to use to surprise people who expect the Life Orb variant. I've considered running ExtremeSpeed, but opposing leads rarely have priority moves, so I feel it would be a waste. With this set, I can surely 2HKO all common switch ins, save Choice Scarf Terrakion who is OHKO'd. *Trying out ExtremeSpeed to better deal with Deoxy-S leads, as even getting SR and one layer of spikes can potentially mean the pits for my team. Ice Beam is for Groudon leads thinking they have it easy against me. I hardly ever use his STAB attacks so I'm trying running without one.

[​IMG]
    Mewtwo@Life Orb
    EVs: 252 SPA / 252 SP / 4 HP
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Timid
    -Psystrike
    -Shadow Ball
    -Aura Sphere
    -Ice Beam

Mewtwo is my go-to Pokemon for immediate destruction. With these moves, he can 2HKO anything after SR damage save dedicated special walls. The only real threat to this monster of a Pokemon is Arceus and Giratina, the latter of which will attempt a OHKO with Shadow Sneak, which is when my Arceus comes out to play. Mewtwo also causes enough switches to keep boosting attackers off the field, usually ending up with Mewtwo sweeping their team.

[​IMG]
    MetalAmbipom(Genesect)@Choice Scarf
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 252 ATK / 156 SPA / 100 SP
    Nature: Hasty
    -U-turn
    -Iron Head
    -Ice Beam
    -Explosion

Genesect, or Metal Ambipom as I like to call him, holds my core together like glue. He can switch in on many of the Dark, Ghost and Dragon type attacks aimed at my sweepers and threaten to rip a massive chunk out of them with one of its coverage moves. I put some extra EV's into Special Attack to turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs and to give him a small chance to even 2hit Support Giratina with Ice Beam after SR and a Download boost. *I replaced Flamethrower with Iron Head, as you guys said, it truly is useless in the rain, and Ferrothorn always switches out of Genesect fearing it. I'm going to try Explosion out as kind of a final hurrah for Genesect when hes close to fainting.

[​IMG]

Blazer(Blaziken)@Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 ATK / 252 SP / 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly
    -Flare Blitz
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Swords Dance
    -Protect

I added Blaziken to my team kind of as an afterthought, and so far he's proven more than worthy. He can use his cookie cutter set to crush a large portion of the metagame even without Swords Dance, and I usually like to use him to clean up the opposing team near the end. I can also switch him in on Ferrothorn and nab a free Swords Dance while it switches out. He is helpless against Giratina and the Lati Twins, but the later can be 2HKOed by Hi Jump Kick after a boost if they choose to Calm Mind predicting my switch.

[​IMG]
    Lugia@Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 DF / 80 SP.D
    Ability: Multiscale
    Nature: Bold
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Reflect
    -Toxic

No team is complete without some kind of fall back wall, and Lugia is always there to lend a hand. Reflect greatly aids my sweepers, and Lugia's godly defenses stop boosting sweepers from breaking through my team. Dragon Tail is my favored move, wearing down the enemies health even further on switches and making it easier for my sweepers to OHKO. *Whirlwind is definitely the better option, and Toxic really helps against Giratina and Arceus. I am Taunt bait though, so that is a concern

[​IMG]
    Yahweh(Arceus)@Silk Scarf
    EVs: 24 HP / 252 ATK / 232 SP
    Ability: Multitype
    Nature: Adamant
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Shadow Force

Arceus. ExtremeKiller set. There's really not a whole lot to be said about this set. He shines best as a revenge killer, being able to survive almost any unboosted attack even without Reflect and get a Swords Dance off, proceeding to massacre the entire enemy team with ExtremeSpeed. I choose Shadow Force over Shadow Claw as I can OHKO Giratina-O after a Swords Dance, and the only safe switch in in the uber tier is another EK Arceus, who is quickly 2HKOed with ExtremeSpeed thanks to my speed investments.

I already know I have lots of problems with Jirachi, Ho-Oh without Stealth Rock and opposing Mewtwo. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

*Changes in bold*
  2. IAmAnHero

IAmAnHero

I don't have time to do a full rate but I have some suggestions. Also you get cool points for making a weatherless team.

On Blaziken I think you should run 176 speed Evs so that he outspeeds Mewtwo at +1 and you can throw the rest of the Evs into Hp. I think you should do this because he has to be +2 to outspeed every scarfer anyway and the extra bulk might come in handy.

On Lugia you should run Whirlwind instead of Dragon Tail because it doesn't miss and phazes away people behind subs.

Tl;dr
    Blaziken 176 speed Evs rest in HP

Lugia Whirlwind>Dragon Tail
  3. lousy918

lousy918

Not only is Blaziken's bulk negligible, it also needs at least 220 Spe EVs to outspeed Excadrill under sand at +2.

Deoxys-A has too many EVs, change it to 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe. Also Psycho Boost > Psyshock because you're gonna die pretty fast anyway.

why dont u have a look at battling 101
  4. Rord64

Rord64

I would, but the extra EV's in attack help me KO Ferrothorn and d nice damage to Steel types. Also, with a speedy nature, Deoxys-A outspeeds basically everything under 120 base speed bar Scarf users, so the speed EV's seem completely unnecessary. I always did consider Psycho Boost, but the SPA lowering could prove fatal to my team in some situations.

I do like the ideas you guys have given for Blaziken though, he is quite frail, and its good to know what speed he needs to outspeed that mole on steroids
  5. lousy918

lousy918

I meant as in u listed 252 EVs in 3 stats
  6. Rord64

Rord64

Just noticed that now, was very tired while writing this :P Fixed now
  7. Sweep

Sweep (makeup)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Your entire team gets murdered by Timid Omastar if Stealth Rock is up (if Blaziken attempts to protect, Omastar can potentially smash and end game). Modest also hurts, but Genesect at least can outrun that. Kingdra will be a major issue as well, though Mewtwo and Lugia can beat/phaze it. And don't even get me started with Life Orb Excadrill in the sand...

Your team's biggest issue are weather sweepers IMO. Even though I like your team as is, and don't particularly care for Rayquaza, I feel it could actually prove useful to you due to Air Lock. I would run a set like this:

Wallbreaker Rayquaza @ Life Orb
    Ability: Air Lock
    252 Attack, 4 Special Attack, 252 Speed
    Nature: Naive

-Draco Meteor
    -V-Create
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
  8. Rord64

Rord64

That's an awesome looking Rayquaza set, he has always been one of my favorites, but who would be the odd man out then? I guess he performs Blaziken's job quite well, but the compounding speed boosts are always a fun factor in beating weather sweepers.
  9. Sweep

Sweep (makeup)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

True, Blaziken is fun to use. Because of the lack of sun, I feel Rayquaza fits better on your team. Feel free to do what you wish though!
  10. Rord64

Rord64

I tried out that Rayquaza and he's a really fantastic Excadrill counter, thanks for the tip!
  11. i Darky

i Darky

Nice weatherless Ubers team! Pretty good for your first try actually.

In a tier dominated by Rain, you really shouldn't use Flamethrower on Genesect. I would advise you to use Iron Head over Flamethrower on Genesect. Steel may be a poor offensive type, however it gives more options than U-Turn to sweep late-game and still hits hard after a download boost and hits most CM Arceus forms for neutral damage. Also, the majority of Ubers have lower physical defence than special defence which gives Iron Head some nice utility when being locked into another move is unfavorable.

Next, I would certainly use Toxic over Ice Beam on Lugia. Lugia's Special Attack is so low compared to the bulk of most Ubers and in conjunction with Lugia's amazing base defenses, Toxic makes Lugia a deadly staller.
    Also on Lugia, I would advise replacing Dragon Tail with Whirlwind. Whirlwind allows Lugia to NOT become set up bait on Substitute users and this can be crucial. Lugia's low attack means Dragon Tail will do little damage anyway, even if super effective.

Good luck with your team in the future!

tl;dr

Show Hide
    Iron Head -> Flamethrower on Genesect

Toxic -> Ice Beam on Lugia

Whirlwind -> Dragon Tail on Lugia
  12. Pikachuu

Pikachuu

Hey I suggest running Extremespeed over Earthquake on Rayquaza as Heatran is very rare in Ubers anyway and Extremespeed can help you pick off weakened faster mons. Also Calm Mind over Shadow Ball on Mewtwo as it's useful at time to turn 2HKO's into OHKO's idk what you're trying to hit with Shadow Ball anyway. You could also try out Recover over it so it can last longer.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)