XY Doubles First doubles team, Trick Room

I built this team while ago, I don't do many double battles, but this is usually what I use when I do. I have fun with this team; but partially with my relative inexperience in doubles, and through experience in using this team myself, I feel this team could be better. I just don't know what to do with it.

It's a trick room team, this was my first time building a trick room team in singles or doubles. Everything has lowest possible speed to be able to move first in trick room. Anyway heres the team.

Musharna @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Protect

This is the main user of trick room and usually one of the leads. The mental herb allows it to set up trick room even after a taunt. Its EVs allow it to take almost any special attack. Helping hand lets it support teammates, and protect lets it survive longer and possible scout the opponent. Psychic is there in case of a taunt after the mental herb is gone.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out

This guy is usually sent out first along with Musharna. Guts with the burn from flame orb give a real nice boost to his already impressive 429 atk, as well as giving him psuedo .Close Combat and Knock Off give excellent coverage. Wide Guard works great on moves like surf and earthquake. The flinch from fake out helps a lot in keeping a threat off Musharna, or completely halting an opponents set up for a turn.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Reuniclus, is a hard hitter. He is also a back up trick room pokemon. Magic Guard negates the life orb damage,as well as make it not have a problem with poison and burns. Psyshock and focus blast have decent coverage, but more importantly allow it to his both physically and special.

Escavalier @ Occa Berry
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Escavalier is another physical powerhouse. Occa berry is supposed to keep fire attacks from completely destroying it, but doesn't always work, so I am reconsidering it. Mega horn does outstanding damage, and Iron Head is good secondary stab as well as the best physical attack i have against fairies. Quick guard is great at keeping things like talonflame and pokemon with prankster from completely messing me up.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Chandelure is another strong special attacker. The ability used to be infiltrator, but I changed it because I didnt use it much, but Im still not sure on the change. Heatwave is a nice strong STAB to his both opponents. Shadow ball is a great secondary STAB, and its also got trick room as a back up.

Slowbro @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

I know Slowbro is usually defensive, but with 100 base sp atk hes not too bad offensively. Not to sure if sitrus berry is as good as leftovers, but it has helped, especially with regenerator. Water, fire ice is decent coverage, just doesnt hit water which is actually a problem for my whole team.

Hi! I'm glad that you're getting into doubles and using TR! First things first the two problems i see with the team are not enough offensive pressure and too many setters.

First off take out musharna. Not contributing much to the team either way and seems like it has to go. I'd reccomend using this instead:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Sucker Punch

Adds offense to the team and gives you a mega. You can replace iron head with swords dance if you'd like, but i prefer using iron head. Mega mawile is probably one of the best trick room sweepers out there and has priority in sucker punch.

Now I'd reccomend using this hitmontop spread instead of hariyama:

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Feint

Gives intimidate support, fighting STAB, fake out support, wide guard support, and if played correctly a great move in feint. Stone edge, quick guard, and protect are all usable options as well.

I'd also recommend focus sash on chandelure, as he is one of your tr setters and you cant have him dying to eq first turn. Also use life orb, drill run, iron head, mega horn, and protect on escavalier.

Hi Spidy, and cool that you've decided to get into Doubles! I'll try to fix some of the issues in your team, and I'll be rating with regular simulator Doubles in mind btw.
I feel you've got some type synegrgy issues (quad Ghost and Dark), which is pretty big.

You should lose either Musharna or Reuniclus for Abomasnow. Reason being Musharna and Reuni perform very similar roles, a bulky Psychic type Trick Room setter, just that one is more offensive than the other. This gives you a somewhat wasted slot, and stacks more type issues. It's your choice one which one, but if you scrap Reuniclus, I suggest Cresselia over Musharna, who outclasses it in bulk.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Protect

It's massive and well rounded bulk let's it weather more attacks than Musharna, making it more reliable as a TR setter. It still performs Musharna's roles very well on your team. Moonblast is to donk Scrafty, who loves to prevent TR.

M-Abomasnow provides you a Mega Evo (which your team lacks for some reason, always use one), and a solid answer to bulky waters like Rotom-W, Politoed and Azumarill, which you felt was needed. It's a really solid TR abuser, firing off Blizzards left and right, and it's power can be bolstered by Cress. It gives you another win condition too.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard/Earthquake
- Protect

Some other changes you may consider are Psychic over Flamethrower on Slowbro. Psychic gives you another STAB for more damage, and Flamethrower rarely comes in handy with Chandelure already.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm glad that you're getting into doubles and using TR! First things first the two problems i see with the team are not enough offensive pressure and too many setters.

First off take out musharna. Not contributing much to the team either way and seems like it has to go. I'd reccomend using this instead:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Sucker Punch

Adds offense to the team and gives you a mega. You can replace iron head with swords dance if you'd like, but i prefer using iron head. Mega mawile is probably one of the best trick room sweepers out there and has priority in sucker punch.

Now I'd reccomend using this hitmontop spread instead of hariyama:

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Feint

Gives intimidate support, fighting STAB, fake out support, wide guard support, and if played correctly a great move in feint. Stone edge, quick guard, and protect are all usable options as well.

I'd also recommend focus sash on chandelure, as he is one of your tr setters and you cant have him dying to eq first turn. Also use life orb, drill run, iron head, mega horn, and protect on escavalier.
Hi Spidy, and cool that you've decided to get into Doubles! I'll try to fix some of the issues in your team, and I'll be rating with regular simulator Doubles in mind btw.
I feel you've got some type synegrgy issues (quad Ghost and Dark), which is pretty big.

You should lose either Musharna or Reuniclus for Abomasnow. Reason being Musharna and Reuni perform very similar roles, a bulky Psychic type Trick Room setter, just that one is more offensive than the other. This gives you a somewhat wasted slot, and stacks more type issues. It's your choice one which one, but if you scrap Reuniclus, I suggest Cresselia over Musharna, who outclasses it in bulk.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Protect

It's massive and well rounded bulk let's it weather more attacks than Musharna, making it more reliable as a TR setter. It still performs Musharna's roles very well on your team. Moonblast is to donk Scrafty, who loves to prevent TR.

M-Abomasnow provides you a Mega Evo (which your team lacks for some reason, always use one), and a solid answer to bulky waters like Rotom-W, Politoed and Azumarill, which you felt was needed. It's a really solid TR abuser, firing off Blizzards left and right, and it's power can be bolstered by Cress. It gives you another win condition too.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard/Earthquake
- Protect

Some other changes you may consider are Psychic over Flamethrower on Slowbro. Psychic gives you another STAB for more damage, and Flamethrower rarely comes in handy with Chandelure already.
thanks for the advice guys first i tried Qwerty's advice, and it helped, but i kept running into sableye with taunt, and it would always disrupt me, so i tried replacing slowbro (slowbro always seemed to do less than reuniclus) with the Cressalia wllmagic suggested, and it is certainly doing better than musharna, but i havent seen another sableye since the change, and have kinda missed slowbro XD

i have yet to test the abomasnow yet, but im definitely planning on it, i'll do a bit more testing and update the thread

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's a suggestion I highly recommend you at least experiment with. I would consider using Talonflame over Chandelure. Now I know that sounds crazy, but what Talonflame gives you is a means of inflicting large amounts of damage in and out of Trick Room, meaning you can just put dents into major threats without having to worry about whether you'll outrun them or not. A basic Life Orb Set could do wonders for your team, and lets you handle several major nuisances to Trick Room, such as Amoonguss, Venusaur and Breloom who could otherwise put your setters to sleep, as well as doing huge amounts of damage to Gardevoir, Bisharp and Charizard amongst others.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would recommend Scrafty over Hary and Hitmon, I much prefer the bulk, and ghost resist is nice on a full TR team.

(Scrafty) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Another Cresselia set I like to use is this;

(Cresselia) (F) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Moonlight

The goggles help deal with Amoonguss, and if you use Abomasnow, it stops the hail damage to form a goggles/grass combo that eats the mushroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)