XY OU First ever RMT - looking for input

Hi guys, this is my first team so I'm looking for some input for it. Without further ado, here it is:

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame and Pinsir are the cores of the team, the other 4 based around checking the weaknesses for these 2. U-turn gives it scouting options and will-o-wisp is for any physical attackers that may get in its way. Brave bird and flare blitz are both good STAB moves with Gale Wings giving BB priority. It works also works in tandem to counter Pinsir's weakness to flying and ice types. The extra 4 EVs in def helps it not die to stealth rock.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Pinsir, the other core pokemon of the team. Hyper cutter negates any intimidates an opponent may use. Basically I swords dance, then mega evolve and use frustration/close combat. Whenever I think a rock type move is going to be used, I switch out to Magnezone to absorb the hit. Pinsir is an absolute monster and can OHKO almost anything unboosted. As with Talonflame, the 4 EVs in Def are for stealth rock.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone counters the rock weakness pretty well. It can lure threats like skarmory in then hit it with a Volt switch or HP Fire. Thunderbolt is there just in-case I need something stronger but I prefer Volt Switch over it so that I don't get locked into Thunderbolt with a ground type. Magnezone synergizes well with the rest of the team because if I correctly predict a ground type move, I can switch in anything else (barring Chansey) and completely negate it.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Latias is my defogger as Stealth Rock absolutely kills this team. I didn’t use Excadrill because it would give me a third fighting type weakness and nothing resists fighting except for ghost so yeah >.>Draco meteor is there for damage and psyshock for STAB. Roost keeps it in longer but I'm not sure whether to replace it with healing wish or not. I’m also thinking of using another defogger instead of this because it has too many weaknesses for my liking though that is just me.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Rotom-W is now a choice scarf set and I LOVE it! Usually I use trick and lock an opponent into spamming DD/SD or something similar and get them frustrated :D HP gives another counter to Landorus but thankfully I've only come across one so far. Though I guess I should be worried about Landorus if Rotom faints but ah well.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

A replacement for Chansey, I really like this set. It gives a counter to dragons in moonblast when previously I was just suiciding Latias in with Draco meteor, it can lure in a steel type (eg Ferrothorn) then fire blast it to hell, it doesn't take SR, toxic or burn damage either. I'm really loving it! My only gripe is that now I don't have anyone with heal bell but I think that is a small price to pay for something as good as this :D

It seems like a really good team and I've only played around with it a little bit but I haven't won a single game. Whether this is due to my badness at playing (I'm relatively new to the competitive scene) or the team is up for debate. However, if anyone could link me to some resources about being a better battler that would help me so much ^_^

QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERING (PLEASE):
  1. Should I replace Latias with Spinner Excadrill seeing as I currently only have 1 weakness to fighting?
  2. Are there any guides on the forums that could help me become a better battler?
  3. Are there any counters to Terrakion that I could use on my team?

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is the cleric of the team. Really appealed to me because it is bulky as hell and can take a lot of hits. Standard set, heal bell gets rid of any burns or paralysis that affects the team. Soft-boiled keeps it alive, SR is to deactivate any focus sashes or sturdy. Lastly, Seismic toss inflicts a decent amount of damage and only has to worry about ghost types (read: gengar)

Last edited:
This is a fairly standard balanced team that doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, so I only have a few minor suggestions. Don't replace Quick Attack or Frustration since the moves types are changed to Flying and boosted by 1.3 by M-Pinsir's ability, Aerilate. Plus Flying type moves are largely unresisted so you'll be losing power and coverage by switching either attack to X-Scissor. You should also consider using Close Combat over Earthquake because it has more power and it makes it easier to manage M-Pinsir checks like Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. Aegislash is gone so there's really no reason to use it anymore unless you don't like the defense drops. You also don't want to be locked into a Will-o-Wisp on Talonflame because it offers opportunities for an opponent to setup. You could use Sleep Talk or Tailwind in its place. Although both are situational they are much better than Will-O-Wisp. With Sleep Talk Talonflame can absorb Spores and Sleep Powders, and still rip teams with Flare Blitz or Brave Bird. Tailwind can provide a teammate with the necessary speed to finish off the opponents Pokemon. It should only be used if Talonflame is going to be KOed, therefore it doesn't waste valuable Tailwind turns or provide opponents with a setup opportunity. Good Luck with the team n_n.

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey GreatTornado pretty solid team! To echo Rob. keep Frustration + Quick attack on Mega Pinsir, those are a staple! The Aerilate boost + priority is part of what makes Mega Pinsir such an amazing pokemon. I am also gonna support his suggestion of Close Combat over Earthquake as this allows you to smack Tyranitar and Ferrothorn for more damage as well as weaken opposing Rotom-w for late game Pinsir/Talonflame clean up. I'd move the 4 HP ev's to Defense that way you can come in on Stealth Rock 4 times when regular Pinsir and twice when Mega Evolved without going down. I'd also make the same change with Talonflame. Switch the 4 HP evs to Defense that way you have an odd HP number and can switch into Stealth Rock more. I also agree with the change of Will-o-Wisp to Sleep Talk as it allows you to have a nice sleep fodder for Breloom/Amoonguss and with your Choice Band basically wreck them afterwards.
Pinsir @ Pinsirite

Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

My final suggestion would be replacing Chansey with Clefable. Chansey kills a lot of momentum for your volt-turn core and is usually set up fodder for any boosting mon. By replacing it with Clefable, you still retain your Greninja check as well as Special Wall while also gaining a check to a very threatening pokemon to your team, Mega Gyarados. She also stop Dragons from spamming outrage! Clefable works as a nice status absorber as well as a hazard setter. Fire Blast is nice for catching Bisharp/Mega Scizor on the switch! With this spread you are never 2HK0'd by Greninja's Hydro Pump (i think the chance is less than 6%) or Thundurus' Thunderbolt.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Anyway, solid team! Hope i helped! :]

Hey GreatTornado pretty solid team! To echo Rob. keep Frustration + Quick attack on Mega Pinsir, those are a staple! The Aerilate boost + priority is part of what makes Mega Pinsir such an amazing pokemon. I am also gonna support his suggestion of Close Combat over Earthquake as this allows you to smack Tyranitar and Ferrothorn for more damage as well as weaken opposing Rotom-w for late game Pinsir/Talonflame clean up. I'd move the 4 HP ev's to Defense that way you can come in on Stealth Rock 4 times when regular Pinsir and twice when Mega Evolved without going down. I'd also make the same change with Talonflame. Switch the 4 HP evs to Defense that way you have an odd HP number and can switch into Stealth Rock more. I also agree with the change of Will-o-Wisp to Sleep Talk as it allows you to have a nice sleep fodder for Breloom/Amoonguss and with your Choice Band basically wreck them afterwards.
Pinsir @ Pinsirite

Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

My final suggestion would be replacing Chansey with Clefable. Chansey kills a lot of momentum for your volt-turn core and is usually set up fodder for any boosting mon. By replacing it with Clefable, you still retain your Greninja check as well as Special Wall while also gaining a check to a very threatening pokemon to your team, Mega Gyarados. She also stop Dragons from spamming outrage! Clefable works as a nice status absorber as well as a hazard setter. Fire Blast is nice for catching Bisharp/Mega Scizor on the switch! With this spread you are never 2HK0'd by Greninja's Hydro Pump (i think the chance is less than 6%) or Thundurus' Thunderbolt.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Anyway, solid team! Hope i helped! :]
This is a fairly standard balanced team that doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, so I only have a few minor suggestions. Don't replace Quick Attack or Frustration since the moves types are changed to Flying and boosted by 1.3 by M-Pinsir's ability, Aerilate. Plus Flying type moves are largely unresisted so you'll be losing power and coverage by switching either attack to X-Scissor. You should also consider using Close Combat over Earthquake because it has more power and it makes it easier to manage M-Pinsir checks like Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. Aegislash is gone so there's really no reason to use it anymore unless you don't like the defense drops. You also don't want to be locked into a Will-o-Wisp on Talonflame because it offers opportunities for an opponent to setup. You could use Sleep Talk or Tailwind in its place. Although both are situational they are much better than Will-O-Wisp. With Sleep Talk Talonflame can absorb Spores and Sleep Powders, and still rip teams with Flare Blitz or Brave Bird. Tailwind can provide a teammate with the necessary speed to finish off the opponents Pokemon. It should only be used if Talonflame is going to be KOed, therefore it doesn't waste valuable Tailwind turns or provide opponents with a setup opportunity. Good Luck with the team n_n.
Thanks guys! I'm going to go test this right away! Only one thing is bothering me though, which is that Clefable does not have heal bell >.> Though I suppose I could just switch it in whenever I think I'm going to in inflicted/afflicted with a status condition...

I'm fine with your Talonflame, the final slot is whatever you want, the last move tbh I never really use.
Pinsir is looking good, but I usually get Moxie to get an attack boost with a kill if possible.
Chansey's Stealth Rock is questionable and Chansey is a little weird on your team.
Not really feeling the Magnezone, but it's fine.
Seriously dude, why use Latias with Roost. Recover is always better than Roost for Levitate(doesn't remove ground immunity). If you replace it, use Mandibuzz, but then you have another Rock weakness.
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt

You could change your Rotom-W to a Trick Scarf set instead of the Pain Split one.

I'm fine with your Talonflame, the final slot is whatever you want, the last move tbh I never really use.
Pinsir is looking good, but I usually get Moxie to get an attack boost with a kill if possible.
Chansey's Stealth Rock is questionable and Chansey is a little weird on your team.
Not really feeling the Magnezone, but it's fine.
Seriously dude, why use Latias with Roost. Recover is always better than Roost for Levitate(doesn't remove ground immunity). If you replace it, use Mandibuzz, but then you have another Rock weakness.
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt

You could change your Rotom-W to a Trick Scarf set instead of the Pain Split one.
Roost is a viable move on Latias. Plus, Mandibuzz is a huge momentum killer for this team.

Mamoswine and Terrakion are a big problem for this team - Mamoswine can just hit Rotom-W with Freeze Dry, and Terrakion OHKOs Rotom-W at +2. You really need a safe switch-in to these Pokemon, but I have no clue what Pokemon can reliably check both of these Pokemon. I just feel I should those glaring weaknesses out there.

Last edited:
Roost is a viable move on Latias. Plus, Mandibuzz is a huge momentum killer for this team.

Mamoswine and Terrakion are a big problem for this team - Mamoswine can just hit Rotom-W with Freeze Dry, and Terrakion OHKOs Rotom-W at +2. You really need a safe switch-in to these Pokemon, but I have no clue what Pokemon can reliably check both of these Pokemon. I just feel I should those glaring weaknesses out there.
Scarfed Terrakion:
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Terrakion Earthquake vs. Levitate Rotom-W: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
252 Atk Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 62-74 (20.3 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Life orb Terrakion:
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 181-214 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Terrakion Earthquake vs. Levitate Rotom-W: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
4 SpA Life Orb Terrakion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 21-25 (6.9 - 8.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

But at the same time...
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 330-393 (102.1 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, I can see what you mean by Terrakion. Not sure what you mean by Mamoswine as Talonflame can Flare Blitz it + with SR countering a focus sash.
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Mamoswine: 284-336 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
And without SR it is a guaranteed 2HKO. The only thing I've got to watch out for is Icicle crash and Stone Edge, which Magnezone can both absorb pretty well.

I'm going to go search up some counters for Terrakion.

aim I really like using Clefable but my only problem is that she is not as bulky as Chansey, though counters to Greninja and stuff... <3 I haven't had to use Sleep Talk yet, but then again I never used Will-o-wisp. Going to update OP with your suggestions, thanks!

I'll try this out today and update later with the results! ^_^

Last edited:
Scarfed Terrakion:
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 62-74 (20.3 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Life orb Terrakion:
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 181-214 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Terrakion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 21-25 (6.9 - 8.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

But at the same time...
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 330-393 (102.1 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, I can see what you mean by Terrakion. Not sure what you mean by Mamoswine as Talonflame can Flare Blitz it + with SR countering a focus sash.

And without SR it is a guaranteed 2HKO. The only thing I've got to watch out for is Icicle crash and Stone Edge, which Magnezone can both absorb pretty well.

I'm going to go search up some counters for Terrakion.

aim I really like using Clefable but my only problem is that she is not as bulky as Chansey, though counters to Greninja and stuff... <3 I haven't had to use Sleep Talk yet, but then again I never used Will-o-wisp. Going to update OP with your suggestions, thanks!

I'll try this out today and update later with the results! ^_^
Mamoswine is incredibly different for your team to switch into. I was referring to Swords Dance Terrakion when I said it troubled your team. But still, we both agree that Terrakion is a problem.

Mamoswine is incredibly different for your team to switch into. I was referring to Swords Dance Terrakion when I said it troubled your team. But still, we both agree that Terrakion is a problem.
Fair point. Thankfully I haven't come across one yet but I fear the day that I do. I'll just have to rely on Latias and Rotom-W for now, I guess...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)