1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First OU Team-Sun is Fun

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by ElevenTwoTwo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. ElevenTwoTwo

ElevenTwoTwo

Well, this is my first post on Smogon, so hello all. This is a refinement of my first ever competitive team, having battled with it for about a month. After a horrific losing streak, I decided to give it a sun core, and this team has proved more successful, winning about 50% (ish) of its matches. There are a few things that I need help with, so I await your responses.

[​IMG]
    Sven/Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Own Tempo
    Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    252 Spe / 4 Def / 252 HP
    - Spore
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - ExtremeSpeed

Sven here is a nice lead. Spore if they're faster, don't bother with if they're not, shell smash as many times as necessary, then baton pass. Simple. Whatever comes out next tends to get at least one KO, usually Ninetales because of sun + Fire Blast. Thinking of changing this slot to Cloyster, who can do the same but actually do something himself when setup comes to shove, though Spore is nice to have on the team. Also, is there a viable move to go in ExtremeSpeed's place that may come in use?

[​IMG]
    Nigel/Ninetales @ Life Orb
    Drought
    Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    252 Spe / 4 SpD / 252 SpA
    - Fire Blast
    - Will o Wisp
    - Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power (Fighting)

Nigel, an offensive powerhouse. Under sun his Fire Blast hits like a truck. Not much else, really. Energy Ball can check potential Water-type threats, but easily gets walled by bulky waters like Vaporeon. Will o Wisp can neutralise Dragon Dancing or Swords Dancing threats and HP Fighting is there to check Tyranitar. Thinking of changing Life Orb to Leftovers as 1) I think he will still hit hard without it and 2) he tends to die quickly if he has taken a hit beforehand.

[​IMG]
    Victory/Venasaur @ Life Orb
    Chlorophyll
    Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    252 Spe / 4 SpD / 252 SpA

- Solarbeam
    - Sleep Powder
    - Growth
    - Hidden Power (Fire)

Standard Venasaur set. Outspeeds everything under the sun, Growths, then sweeps w/ Solarbeam. Sleep Powder is useful if the weather changes and Hidden Power Fire wrecks stuff like Ferrothorn who think they can switch in on it. Somewhat stalled by stuff like Dragonite and Salamence, who resist both his attacking moves. So a dragon counter was needed, and I chose...

[​IMG]
    Teresa/Weavile @ Choice Band
    Pressure
    Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

- Ice Shard
    - Ice Punch
    - Night Slash
    - Brick Break

The dragon killer. Ice Shard priority kills most things, Ice Punch is used when more power is needed against a slower target, and Night Slash deals with annoying Psychics like Espeon that are everywhere. Brick Break can deal with other things, but doesn't hit hard. In addition, Weavile is rather frail, and can only revenge kill (and sometimes not even that), and not sweep.

[​IMG]
    Sorrow/Starmie @ Life Orb
    Natural Cure
    Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    252 Spe / 4 HP / 252 SpA

- Psychic
    - Hidden Power (Fire)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

A great revenge killer and sweeper, unfortunately because of the sunlight Hydro Pump was unfeasible. Thunderbolt is in over Thunder because of Thunder's 50% accuracy under sunlight, and Ice Beam can cover tricky dragons and general coverage. Hidden Power Fire hits like a train under sun and tricks all manner of things, again most commonly on Ferrothorns and Venasaurs who think they can wall and KO it respectively.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Serene Grace
    Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
    252 HP / 224 SpD / 34 Spe

- Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Fire Punch
    - Stealth Rock

I put Jirachi in the team after replacing Jellicent, as he really wasn't working under sun. However, Jirachi doesn't really help well with the team as well. Stealth Rock is nice, but never seems to get much use. Fire Punch does nothing and Jirachi just dies before Wish can work. Furthermore, the Sun just amplifies his Fire weakness. Therefore I need a totally new pokemon in this position, but I don't know what will work with the team.

So yeah, there's a shoddy team that probably has many major flaws. However, I'm not experienced enough to find them, so I ask the good people of smogon to find them for me. Thanks in advance.
  2. PedroBrony

PedroBrony

This is a nice team,although it has some major flaws:
    - Massive Fire weakness. Three of your pokemon can be killed in a sec by fire ( kinda ironic since it's a sun team and sun is only gonna make that weakness bigger )
    -No proper Genesect counter. Genesect can kill most of your team with nobody to stop him.
    I reccomend using a Heatran instead of Jirachi since it would fix both of these problems....to a extent.
    Well,anyway,good luck with your team!
  3. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey!

Welcome to Smogon, and nice first team! It's a little rough around the edges, but hopefully I can fix that.

First off, your Smeargle is a pretty cool lead. However, I don't believe it fits on this type of team. Instead, I'd really like you to think about Focus Sash Dugtrio. It will help you win the weather war much more reliably. Earthquake/Reversal take care of Tyranitar, and you can weaken Politoed pretty well too. Ninetales should be able to switch into weakened Scalds without a major hiccup.

Second, I'd recommend an Offensive Heatran instead of Jirachi. Sun Teams are usually fast paced and offensive, so Jirachi is slowing you down. Use Fire Blast / Hidden Power Ice / Earth Power / Flame Charge with an Air Balloon. Not only will it give you another sweeper, Heatran can take the opponent's boosted Fire Attacks.

In addition, I have some set change recommendations. I think you should change to bulky Starmie with Rapid Spin. It's great because it will keep Stealth Rock off the field. The hardest part of playing with Sun is Stealth Rock limiting your switches.

The next set change I think you should make is switching to Defensive Ninetales. Being your only weather starter, you need to keep it healthy. Life Orb is only going to weaken Ninetales, and Ninetales is a bad sweeper anyway. A bulky defensive spread will give you the upper hand vs. Politoed, and you can use Ninetales to counter other odd threats. An example might be Calm Mind Latias: If it got a CM or two, it might be hard to counter with the rest of your team, but Ninetales could switch in and Roar it out.

Good luck with your team!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)