First OU team.

Hello everyone, I'm a new member on these forums and I'd appreciate some advice on my OU team.

1. Mienshao: Attacking Lead / Anti Setup
Move 1: Hi Jump Kick
Move 2: U-Turn
Move 3: Stone Edge
Move 4: Fake Out

Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe

I went with an attacking lead because I have a few guys (namely volcarona) that are prone to stealth rock, and by using mienshao, I could hopefully disrupt any setup of entry hazards or whatever they decide to do.

2. Excadrill: Physical Sweeper / Rapid Spinner
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Rock Slide
Move 4: Rapid Spin

Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Ok so for this team, I used two physical sweepers. Mienshao doesn't really set up for sweeping, he's just there for disruption and alpha striking. Excadrill on the other hand does utilize swords dance and is fully intended to set up given the chance.

3. Volcarona: Special Sweeper
Move 1: Quiver Dance
Move 2: Bug Buzz
Move 3: Fiery Dance
Move 4: HP Rock

Nature: Timid
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Essentially the same thing I'm doing with the physical sweepers. Volcarona uses quiver dance when he gets the opportunity and destroys people with awesome special attack. Chose him over chandelure because of less weaknesses and I wanted to use gengar.

4. Gengar: Sub-Split
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Pain Split
Move 3: Shadow Ball
Move 4: Focus Blast

Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Used for a special sweeper thats not required to set up and then sweep. He's fast and he hits pretty hard with the shadow ball/focus blast pair. He can also make a substitute to compensate for bad defense and HP, and then pain split to stay in longer and do more damage.

5. Ferrothorn: Tank
Move 1: Stealth Rock
Move 2: Leech Seed
Move 3: Gyro Ball
Move 4: Protect

Nature: Relaxed
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD

Ferrothorn was designed to be a tank, with great defenses and only two weaknesses, I can also set up entry hazards and stall with leech seed/protect. Chose him because he was good with physical and special defense, and he seemed on par with or better than foretress. Since he's not my lead I can also switch him in and wall numerous types and force them to switch or take leech seed. The iron barbs are a nice bonus too.

6. Vaporeon: Wish support
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Protect
Move 3: Scald
Move 4: Roar

Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Brings back memories, was my first evee from red version. But aside from that, I've seen youtube battles where vaporeon did an amazing support job with the wish/protect and roar for pseudo hazing. It can even do decent damage with STAB scald and possibly cripple physical attackers with the burn.

So to recap, I've got two fast attackers (1 physical, 1 special) and two real sweepers (same thing) plus two more guys to make sure my sweepers stay alive.
For strategy, I will probably always lead with mienshao, although ferrothorn is also an option. Then once I kill or weaken their lead a substantial amount, I can U-turn to ferrothorn to take damage, or vaporeon to stall and heal. I'd prefer to save vaporeon until later though, because it's not as bulky as ferrothorn and it's important to my strategy. I can also switch in sweepers if I think they can live through an attack and then hopefully force a switch so I can set up swords dance/quiver dance. Let me know if you guys have more suggestions on top of this.

Most of these were heavily based off the ones in the 5th gen competitive forum, but my main concern was whether or not they would work well together.
All advice is much appreciated, as I'm doing this with a bunch of very competitive friends. :)

Edit: Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I made changes in green. I think I will keep scald though because I really like the extra burn. I'll try to work out the HP rock for volcarona, but that's going to take a LOT of breeding. Ah well. Thanks again everyone!

Edit2: Added descriptions for each team member to get the thread unlocked...

Looks like a nice and ballanced team to me .
An X-scissor is very nice on a Excadrill but that is optional as you would have to drop rapid spin or swords dance for it .
Other then that you might wanna change scald to surf because you dont want to accidentually burn a pokemon with guts.
Other then that i cant add or comment any more , nice team !

I wouldn't get rid of scald, because that is the main reason it is used over surf. On that vaporeon set the Ev's are put a little more into special defense, and not defense because you will most likely get a burn on a physical attacker when using scald.

I wouldn't get rid of scald, because that is the main reason it is used over surf. On that vaporeon set the Ev's are put a little more into special defense, and not defense because you will most likely get a burn on a physical attacker when using scald.
True , tho i'm really considering to change the scald of my jellicent to surf.
I accidentually burned a conkeldurr before and that really cost me alot.

hidden power rock, fighting, or ground on volcarona would be nice.. easily walled by fire types without it and your dont want to give up all those quiver dances. HP rock handles other volcaronas but after a few quiver dances your fiery dance would take it nicely as well. HP ground handles heatran. HP fighting handles heatran decently as well as bulky rock types.

Also, Mienshau isn't very good for taunting. Why not Fake out+ Hi jump kick to simply demolish whoever you think is going to run an entry hazard? Mienshau can not even start to take a hit because of his frail defenses. You could toss out taunt for stone edge to counter a switch to chandelure. Completely walled by ghosts not wanting to setup.

Give Ferrothorn 0 Speed IVs as well for even lower speed. You will probably have a hard time against water-types with Thunderbolt. You could remedy this by A) Switching Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn to Power Whip or B) Using Gastrodon instead of Vaporeon, but you will lose Wish support

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1) Excadrill is much better with sand support, I would recommend putting A tyranitar somewhere on your team, possibly as an attacking lead with stealth rock over mienshao. you could try this set for T-tar:

move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Ice Beam / Superpower
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD

2)Try running air balloon on your excadrill for a while, It greatly lowers the amount of checks excadrill has and makes it much easier to set up swords dance and sweep.

3) like shining latios said, replace protect for power whip on ferrothorn to hit bulky waters.

Otherwise, good team, if i have any other recommendations i will edit this post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)