1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

First OU Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by rbownes45, May 5, 2012.

1. rbownes45

rbownes45

The main idea around the team is to get sun up for Venusaur to sweep, to boost up fire attacks since 4 pokemon have fire moves, to let me fire off solar beams without worrying about the charge up on it and too counter other weather inducers Politoed, Tyranitar and the occasional Abomasnow.

[​IMG]
    Gengar (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    Gengar is used as the lead because when people see that I have a ninetales they will usually send in their own weather starter as their lead. Hidden power fire is for hitting steels like Scizor,Ferrothorn,etc. Thunderbolt for hitting Politoed and Skarmory. Shadow Ball for stab and hitting Jelicent harder than t-bolt. Focus Blast for hitting tyranitar. Expert Belt is used over Life orb so I can survive a bit longer because after using life orb the damage would always put me into OHKO range with just about everything. Plus, Expert Belt also sometimes tricks my opponent into thinking its a choice specs set...or atleast I can hope. Max speed and SpAtk to maximize it's offensive capabilities. Only problem with this is with that I have found is losing out to other gengar so I usually switch to either Heatran or Venusaur hoping they dont carry Psychic.

[​IMG]
    Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Sunny Day
    - Fire Blast
    - SolarBeam
    - Will-O-Wisp
    My weather starter, Sunny Day is used on it to offset other weather inducers coming in on me as I can usually survive the normal surf/scald from politoed and most Abomasnows I have faced don't have earthquake(most of the time i switch to Heatran,regardless). SolarBeam is used to hit Politoed and other water hard. Fire Blast for stab and hits anything that doesn't that doesn't resist it hard on the switch. Will-O-Wisp for a crippling move since the majority of threats are physical attackers.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Sleep Powder
    - Sunny Day
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    My sweeper, in the sun this thing is ridiculous. Sleep Powder to catch pokemon on the switch or help against stuff that resists grass and fire. Solar Beam is used for stab and destroying faces of everything that isn't dragon,steel and the pink blobs. Hidden power Fire for hitting said steels who think they can setup or sponge solarbeams. Sunny Day is used just in case ninetales has fainted and I need that late game sweep by venusaur. EV's used to optimize the amount of faces destroyed by venusaur.

[​IMG]
    Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Reversal
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    Dugtrio, ah Dugtrio, I can't say I particularly like this thing its too weak and too frail but its my tyranitar destroyer and quasi revenge killer/stealth rocker. Reversal for tyranitar destroying and hitting pink blobs if dugtrio is still alive when they bring out their ugly faces, Earthquake for stab and killing off weakened pokemon. Stone Edge for coverage, I can't say that I have used it that much. Focus sash is used to maximize reversal and evs are maxed attack and speed so it can do what it does best and kill tyranitars of any variety.

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Shard
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    Now this spot of my team has been done of pokemon but I have settled on mamoswine because my team desperately needed a physical attacker that wasn't weaker than a caterpie and could help with Dragons and those stupid pink blobs. Ice shard for my only priority move on the team and hitting dragons, yes I know it's not the best attack to kill dragons but I can't have Icicle crash as well with superpower. Superpower my pink blob killer, that's all I have needed to use it for so far. Earthquake for it's stab and with Life orb always does a nice chunk on everything. Stone Edge for some coverage. Life orb is used so I don't have to constantly keep switching it unless I used Superpower. Adamant is used over Jolly so I can put more of a hurting on everything and the loss of speed doesn't really hurt it that much as far as I can tell.

[​IMG]
    Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 16 SAtk / 160 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Earth Power
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Fire Blast
    The EV spread is a little funky and I'm not too sure what I was thinking with it but if anyone has any suggestions for it I'm always open to optimizing it. Bold is used so if I do have to take a Fighting move from anything I can usually survive it and do some more damage. Earth Power is to hit other fire types and Heatran. SolarBeam is for coverage(I know it sucks when I don't have sun up) but I was already using my hidden power on ice. HP Ice used for hitting dragonite and salamence who try to setup on it for 4x and other dragons if my Mamoswine is down. Fire Blast for stab and destroying everything after a Flash Fire boost aimed at Venusaur in the sun. Air Balloon is so I can come on Earthquakes and beat other Heatran who don't have a balloon.
  2. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

Hey nice team i'm just gonna suggest some set changes here. On Gengar use Substitute over Thunderbolt and Leftovers over Expert Belt. This will give Gengar's life span some longevity and will ease predictions after switching into a poke that can't do anything to Gengar.

Your team is already quite strong on the special side and not to much on the physical. The team also dosen't have any mixed attackers / wallbreakers or any particularly hard hitters. So I think you should change Venasaur's set to a Mixed Growth set which will allow you to defeat stall easier.
    Mixed Growth Venasaur:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Sunny Day
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

I really dont think you need Superpower on Mamoswine so you should change from Superpower to Icicle Crash. for a stronger STAB move.

I'm not sure what's going on with that Heatran set so i'll just put a more improved version here.
    Heatran Set:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - SolarBeam
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Dragon Pulse

Change summary:
    Gengar @ Expert Belt ----> Gengar @ Leftovers
    Gengar Thunderbolt ----> Substitute
    Venasaur ----> Mixed Growth Venasaur
    Mamoswine's Superpower ----> Icicle Crash
    Heatran set ----> Different Heatran set

Good luck with the team and I hope I helped with my suggestions :]
  3. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hey,

So I sat here looking for a weakness for about a minute and then it caught me -- this is a sun team but it lacks a Rapid Spin user. While this is certainly not required, on a sun team such as yours where it is mostly dependent on weather, I would recommend using one! Now, my suggestion will sound a bit odd but bear with me, I am an extensive user of it. I believe you should take on a Starmie over your Gengar. Why Starmie? Well there are actually a few reasons. For one, Starmie outspeeds more than Gengar does, and it also has better coverage with the moves it is given. While you may miss some of the offense Gengar brings, I don't believe this offense is enough to merit using it over Starmie, who can bring much more utility, and even a switch-in to Politoed.

Another Pokemon that I believe can be improved on is Mamoswine. Yeah, it's a priority user and has an Ice move, but it doesn't offer too much with its less-than-average bulk and its unforgiving Speed. A change that would help much more in my opinion would be replacing Mamoswine with Choice Band Dragonite. You already have a spinner if you take my suggestion, so this allows Dragonite to spam its ridiculously powerful Outrage. Outrage even 2HKOes Steel-types such as Heatran after Stealth Rock, so not much can actually switch in on Dragonite -- this momentum and offense benefits your team greatly, in my opinion. Additionally, you'll retain priority; in fact, you'll get even better priority due to ExtremeSpeed. It's a change for the better, and I think it'll help out a lot.

Finally, your Heatran set looks a bit odd to me; I also think a change from an offensive variant to a more defensive variant would suit this team better. Try out a specially defensive Heatran and see what it can do for you. You'll be able to soak up even Water-type moves and retaliate with either a Drought-boosted Lava Plume (which has a chance to burn the opponent!) or status such as Toxic. I think it merits the slot, especially considering that you now have a Ground-type immunity in Dragonite.

sets (open)
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power Fire

Dragonite @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - ExtremeSpeed

Heatran @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 100 SpD / 160 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar
    - Toxic

Cool team, and good luck! I hope I helped!
  4. ScoobyDoom

ScoobyDoom

Im recommend Donphan over gengar instead of starmie. Since this is a sun team starmie will be nerfed and tyranitar will pretty much destroy starmie whereas donphan can switch in and out of tyranitar all day and spin thus allowing you to sustain ninetales longer.
  5. rbownes45

rbownes45

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll try out all the sets you guys recommended and get back and tell you what I think of them.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)