First Pokemon Game?

Just a thread for discussing what your first pokemon game was, and whether or not it's your favorite, some funny moments from playing it, etc.

My first pokemon game was Pokemon Leaf Green. It's not my favorite Pokemon game, but I still enjoy playing it. I played the heck out of it as a kid. What's funny is since I was a kid, I solely used my starter, bulbasaur. That is, until I got a dragonair, and evolved it into a dragonite. Eventually, I had a level 100 Venusaur and Dragonite... and nothing else. I also remember my very first shiny, a shiny weedle. I evolved it into Beedrill, but quickly gave up on it and stopped using it ;-;.

My first game was Pearl. I was such a happy kid that day. Just going through a garage sale, looking at stuff on a table. I gasp. There it is, a little black cartridge with the words "Pokemon Pearl". I knew what Pokemon was. I had played Pokemon Colluseum at my cousin's house. I loved the anime. It was just $5. I immediately bought it and begged my younger brother to let me use his DSI to play it. I got all the way to just before battling Palkia with my trusty Torterra, Oak, when I lost the cartridge. Gone, gone forever. But I got a 3DS for Christmas that year along with Pokemon X, so I eased the pain. I had originally used Piplup, but what had happened was the game already had a save. So I kept losing my progress. Finally had the sense to figure out how to restart the game. Then decided I wanted Turtwig. Two years later I found the game. I restarted it. I just remember planning a team that would allow me to have every type possible with my older cousin. All I remember was Wingull was on the list.

Now i'm stuck on stupid Fantina.
CURSE YOUUUU DRIFBLIMMMMMM!

While I was a fan of the anime when I was little (I was five when it came out in the US), I fell out shortly after Hoenn began, just months before I finally got a Game Boy Advance SP (my first handheld). About six years later, my cousin gave me his old DS Lite (the shoulder buttons stopped working, so he got himself a replacement). After a few months, all my friends had gotten Platinum and told me that they were going to start doing tournaments. As I had been interested anyway, I decided for my birthday to get Platinum as well. I started the game, got my Chimchar that would eventually be named Emily and I got hooked really quick. I actually turned 16 playing Platinum late at night (I got the game the day before my birthday). And I've been playing ever since.

That's cool. Once red and blue come on 3DS VC, me, my bro, and 2 of our friends are gonna start having normal tournaments. I just know I'll reck all of em' :3

Silver was my first, enjoyed the anime and decided to give the games a go. Could not for the life of me work out how to leave the house for the first time. Rang a friend and he was like "walk out the door". But being my first game my brain somehow couldn't work out that the little rectangle at the front of the room was the door. Also before it came out in Australia I had a printed off walkthrough with the Japanese names of everything that I would religiously read in anticipation of the game.

LMAO, that's hilarious. That reminds me of when I was a kid, I thought LG and FR were the first pokemon games, so I got really confused when a friend had a G/S walkthrough book.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
My first was Red, and I have no memories of it other than knowing I got as far as Victory Road.

Mine's a bit of an odd story. While technically the first game I owned was Pearl on the DS, the first game I actually played was Blue. Y'see, at my primary school we had this thing called after-school care for kids whose parents couldn't pick them up from School right away; School finished for me at 3 and work finished for my Mum at half 5 so naturally I spent a lot of time there. And there was a ton of stuff but the thing I and a ton of other people gravitated towards was their old gameboys; they didn't have that much funding so they couldn't get the new DSes or anything. And of course, the game we ended up playing the most was Pokémon Blue.
It's a bit of an odd one in that it of course wasn't my game and a ton of other people were playing it so it was sort of a competition and at the same time a collaborative effort. There were a ton of restarts because people wanted to enter their name, lel. I'll always have fond memories of the little misconceptions we had -- we always chose Squirtle because we thought it was the only one not weak to another starter; the one time I chose Charmander everyone else was practically screaming at me. We also had the odd little 'logical' assumption that if an old rod can fish up Magikarp anywhere in the world, surely in the Victory Road lead-up it'd fish up Gyarados! And then we thought we could evolve Wartortle with a Water Stone; and this one time that this bully thought he'd ruined everything by 'deleting' all but one of our Pokémon. First of all the one he left behind was friggin' Dratini - the most pain in the ass pokemon to get in the game - and he'd actually just deposited all our Pokémon into boxes rather than released them.
I know it's a bit of a ramble but I just have a ton of fond memories of it and it's why I'm looking forward to the VC releases. I don't think they're the best Pokémon games in a technical sense - I still prefer Colosseum, Platinum and FRLG - but it'll always remain in my heart and in history as one of the best and most important.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
My first one was crystal and I loved it. It really felt like going on a whole new adventure back then.
I liked how it helped me expand my imagination beyond the Pokemon anime. (It was the anime that got me into Pokemon, really.)

My first one was Pokemon Gold. I remember my dad bought it for me when i was like 4 and he even got me the that special silver Game Boy Color with the Pikachu and Pichu. I loved it so much. :)

First game ever was Pokemon Emerald. I got it all the way back to when it was released in 2005. I remember playing it on the Game Boy Micro (does anyone even remember those?). I remember my original team of Sceptile, Ludicolo, Breelom, Mightyena, and Tropius and Tentacool as HM Slaves (Fly/Strength/Flash/Rock Smash and Surf/Dive/Waterfall/Cut respectively) I also remember getting killed by Drake of the E4 over and over again, until I discovered TM13 Ice Beam and taught it to Ludicolo. I also remember my second playthrough where I beat the game by soloing it with my Swampert, which was all the way up to level 83 by the time I beat the league.

My first game was Sapphire. I have very few memories of it. All I know is that it was the one of the few pokemon games I actually beat, and the one with the most hours spent on it. I also know that I basically only trained my Blaziken, along with the Kyogre and Rayquaza. I believe that one Blaziken was the only pokemon I ever got to 100? Unfortunately, my copy of Sapphire no longer works, so those Pokemon are lost forever. Oh well. Not like I would have been able to get my broken DS to transfer them to a 4th generation game I haven't beat anyway.

I got Alpha Sapphire when it came out, and I've...been in Petalburg Forest for months now. Huh.

My first game was Pearl. My uncle bought it for me as well as a DS to play it on. I was a fan of the anime and would always go to the library and borrow Pokemon DVD's. I was happy as hell and I fell in love with the franchise. I've played every main series Pokemon except RBY and GS and none of them came close to that first time mang. Might be because these days I think too about Natures, base stat, movepool etc and don't have that carefree experience anymore. Every time Gen IV is mentioned I get blinded by nostalgia, too bad I let a girl I liked borrow my original Pearl copy and she moved schools after ;-;.

I feel old reading this thread.

Pokemon Blue was my first game. Was the 2nd one I finished but still played the crap out of it.

My first game was Blue. I don't remember exactly when I got it, but after looking up some things surrounding it, I am convinced that it must have been in 2001. I was a fan of Pokemon through the anime and TCG for a while before that though. It was also my second ever electronic game.

It isn't my favorite game in the series (and it only really was before I got Silver, I'd say), as my favorite games are B/W and B2/W2. I don't think I can ever go back to playing Blue (or any other game from first or second generation) as I find them to be outdated to the point that they are unplayable by modern standards. They have also been remade, and I find FR/LG superior to R/B/Y in every way. I am not interested in getting any of the games from first generation when they get released on the 3DS Virtual Console either. That said, I did like the game a lot when it was new, it was so much fun to play and I appreciate it for the fun I had back then as well as for starting a game series I am still a big fan of. The game was fun back in the day and nothing can take that away.

As for memories... I have several, some good and bad. Not going to list all of them though. To begin with, I remember playing really stupidly when I played through the game the first time, doing some dumb mistakes like defeating Zapdos instead of catching it, being unable to use several important functions like how to switch the order of the Pokemon in my party because I didn't know how to use them, or being unable to progress in the game at several points because I had no idea what to do. The language was a bit of a barrier as English is not my first language and I really didn't understand much of it when I was a kid. Though I did learn quite a bit by playing Pokemon and using a dictionary at times, so that was great.

My very best memory from Blue was on one of my many subsequent playthoughs when I managed to complete the Pokedex (only missing Mew) and get all six members of my team to level 100 in exactly 100 hours of play time. My team consisted of Blastoise, Dewgong, Ninetales, Golem, Jolteon and Farfetch'd. It will always and forever be my best and most important memory from my first Pokemon game, and from all of the first generation games (not counting the remakes).

Just a thread for discussing what your first pokemon game was, and whether or not it's your favorite, some funny moments from playing it, etc.

My first pokemon game was Pokemon Leaf Green.
SAME! I got it in 2004/05 and it was like my second game boy game. My cousins had fire red and helped me beat the elite four. I could never get the really good pokemon like Dragonite, and i originally chose charmander.
One of my best memories was walking into the grass east of fuchsha city after beating the E4 and suddenly this huge blue dog thingie with tenticles appeared and it was really mystic looking and this strange music played and i freaked out and then it fled...It was Suicuine and it is one pokemon which still troubles me to this day...
A few years ago i looked at the Charizard i came out with. It had learnt 4 HM moves: Cut, fly, Strength and some other move. Massive Facepalm!

My first Pokemon game was Yellow. I got it for Christmas when I was eight or nine, and I played the heck out of it. I remember going through Viridian Forest and catching a Caterpie, thinking that it would be effective against Brock (the only Pokemon knowledge I had at the time was the card game, where bugs are the grass type). I don't think I need to say that I was dead wrong. In the end, it took days for me to get past Brock using a NidoranF. I kept that Nidoran throughout the entire game, with it eventually becoming without a doubt one of the strongest Pokemon I have ever raised, and the only one I have ever raised all the way to level 100. I was a complete noob back then; I wasted my Master Ball on a level 20 Geodude as well as killing all three legendary birds and Mewtwo.

Still the best Pokemon experience I have ever had.

Ugh, this thread makes me feel so old.

My first game was Pokemon Red. I remember so much about that game because I spent hundreds of hours on it. Exploring Seafoam Island, avoiding trainers on the cycling road, trying to find a Clefairy on Mt. Moon, spamming Mewtwo, having fun with MissingNO, being so happy to catch Scyther. The vibrant music, pixelated monsters, cool battle animations (How did you not LOVE Thunder, hyper beam, and Fire spin?), and cries. Oh my god, how great was it when you had your first link trade? I was practically jumping when I evolved my Haunter to a Gengar!

That one game sparked a lifelong love which doesn't seem to be fading anytime soon. I'll be honest - I don't have a lot of time for gaming. I've made time to play every new main series game though.

This was my in-game team.

My first Pokemon game was Yellow. I got it for Christmas when I was eight or nine, and I played the heck out of it. I remember going through Viridian Forest and catching a Caterpie, thinking that it would be effective against Brock (the only Pokemon knowledge I had at the time was the card game, where bugs are the grass type). I don't think I need to say that I was dead wrong. In the end, it took days for me to get past Brock using a NidoranF. I kept that Nidoran throughout the entire game, with it eventually becoming without a doubt one of the strongest Pokemon I have ever raised, and the only one I have ever raised all the way to level 100. I was a complete noob back then; I wasted my Master Ball on a level 20 Geodude as well as killing all three legendary birds and Mewtwo.

Still the best Pokemon experience I have ever had.
lmao, I did the same thing with the Master ball, I used it on a l.v 25 Raticate.

I started playing Sapphire when I was 8. Starter was Torchic, it was alright, but when I got jealous of Wally catching that Ralts I had never seen, I caught one, realized that some pokemon have mythical mind powers. Raised it to a Gardevoir, and promptly grew attached to it. Some of my other pokemon were Zangoose and Solrock, but Garde was 7 levels above all of them at any time. I thought the game was reasonably easy, but I got stuck on Steven because Metagross beats Gardevoir.

My solution? Train Gardevoir ten more levels. /smart

I remember I started by borrowing Diamond from Blockbuster. I decided I liked it. So, my dad went to China and he bought a pirated cartridge (its memory broke down and it's prone to random shutdowns; it also doesn't work on anything newer than a DS Lite) of Pokemon Diamond. I was hooked. I overleveled my Torterra because I thought I would lose progress if I lost a battle. I had a Torterra to face Gardenia. It was level 80 when I soloed the Elite 4. I bought every Gen 4 main game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)