1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

First post, first RMT, It's Raining Cats and Frogs

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Someoneelse, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Someoneelse

Someoneelse Why am I here?

But no cats.*

Introduction
    This is my first RMT, and post, in these forums, although I have been lurking anonymously for a while. It is a rain balanced team. I have tested this team under the alt Someotherguy843 and won about two to one (Stupid disconnects). I would like suggestions on how to improve this team.

The Team at a Glance
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Team In Detail
    Politoed@leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Drizzle
    • Perish Song
    • Encore
    • Scald
    • Hypnosis
    EVs: 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Special Attack
    Bold nature.
    Every rain team needs Politoed (well, there are some exceptions). It is the only Pokemon apart from Kyogre to set permanent rain. I have a physically defensive variation of it. It has Perish song to force switches and to stop set-up sweepers, Encore to keep Pokemon using the same move and be easily predictable, Scald to burn enemies and not be complete taunt bait, and Hypnosis to cripple a Pokemon for most of a battle. This is the only Pokemon that may not be replaced.

Ferrothorn@ leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Iron barbs
    • Gyro Ball
    • Leech Seed
    • Stealth Rock
    • Spikes
    EVs: 4 Defense, 252 HP, 252 Special Defense
    IVs: 0 speed
    Careful nature.

Ferrothorn is my hazard setter and premier special wall. He has good synergy with Politoed and rain. He has Gyro Ball to hit anything and so he is not total taunt bait, Leech Seed for recovery, both for him and the rest of the team, and Spikes and Stealth Rock to damage enemies on their switch. He has lefties for healing along with Leech Seed.

Tornadus-Therian@choice scarf
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Regenerator
    • Hurricane
    • Focus Miss Blast
    • U-Turn
    • Heat Wave
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
    Mild nature.

Tornadus is my main special attacker and revenge killer. I chose him for his Hurricane abusing and his regeneration. He has Hurricane for abusing in rain, Focus Miss for coverage, U-Turn to escape and heal him with his ability, and Heat Wave to defeat Genesect mainly, but also to destroy Chlorophyll sweepers. It's pretty funny OHKOing Genesects.

Latios@life orb
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Levitate
    • Draco Meteor
    • Psyshock
    • Surf
    • Recover
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
    Timid nature.

Latios replaces Rotom-Wash as a special sweeper. He can ensure Thundurus doesn't sweep my team with his speed. He gives a crucial electric resist. He can hit dragons, part of Rotom's job. He has Draca Meteor to hit anything and everything (but mainly dragons), Psyshock to defeat those annoying special walls (I'm looking at you, Chansey and Blissey), Surf for coverage and recover to, well, recover damage from opponents and his life orb. He does his job better than Rotom did it. Thanks Jirachi.
    Old team member
    Show Hide
    Rotom-Wash@leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Levitate
    • Thunder
    • Hydro Pump
    • Volt Switch
    • Hidden Power Ice
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252HP, 4 Special Defense
    Modest nature.

Rotom is my secondary sweeper and generally my lead, as I can scout with Volt Switch. I have Thunder for abusing in the rain, Hydro Pump for getting a boost in rain and STAB, Volt Switch for scouting and having a nice Voltturn combination with Tornadus, and Hidden Power Ice for defeating dragons. I might change it to a scarfed set, what do you think?

Tentacruel@black sludge
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Rain Dish
    • Rapid Spin
    • Toxic Spikes
    • Scald
    • Protect
    EVs: 236 Defense, 252 HP, 20 Speed
    Bold nature.

(Changed to a rain stall set)Tentacruel is my spinner and secondary special wall. He has recovery with black sludge and Rain Dish. He has Rapid Spin for, well, spinning away hazards, Toxic Spikes for crippling enemies switching in, Scald for burning sweepers and protect for recovering HP. I have been considering swapping him for a Donphan. I seem to have too many water types, and a huge electric weakness. What do you think? Thanks Jirachi and -Rockstar-

Mamoswine@choice scarf
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Thick Fat
    • Icicle Crash
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Shard
    • Superpower
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Adamant nature.

I had a huge weakness to the Therians before this came along. Mamoswine is a fast physical sweeper. He has Icicle Crash for a powerful STAB, Earthquake because it is also STAB, but it's just Earthquake, the go to physical coverage move, Ice Shard for a priority move and Superpower for coverage. It has Thick Fat so it RESISTS fire in rain. This is a great addition to the team.*Thanks to Ricky Horror for this set.

Old team member
    Show Hide
    Breloom@choice band
    [​IMG]
    Ability: Technician
    • Bullet Seed
    • Low Sweep
    • Stone Edge
    • Mach Punch
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    Jolly nature.

Banded Techniloom is my physical sweeper. He is very powerful and annihilates teams by himself. He has four attacks as he is choiced. He has Bullet Seed and Low Sweep as powerful, Technician boosted STAB moves, and Stone Edge. ThunderPunch had redundant coverage so I changed it for Mach Punch, a priority move which is quite strong with Choice Band and Tecnician.

Problems
    • A huge electric weakness, especially Thundurus Fixed by Mamoswine
    • No spinblocker
    • Toxicroak is annoying
    • Jirachi is annoying sometimes Fixed by Mamoswine

Please rate my team and give suggestions. Feel free to try it out (why else would I have an importable version?), and hopefully you'll soon see me around more.

Importable

Show Hide
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Perish Song
    - Scald
    - Encore
    - Hypnosis

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Gyro Ball
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Mild Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast
    - U-turn
    - Heat Wave

Latios @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Recover

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 236 Def / 252 HP / 20 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Scald
    - Protect

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower
    - Ice Shard

Importable old teammates
    Show Hide
    Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Thunder
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Breloom @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Low Sweep
    - Stone Edge
    - Mach Punch
  2. Jirachee

Jirachee I devote this Custom Title to Dice, my Supreme Overlord
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

You're right, Thunderpunch is an horrible move for Breloom. It has pretty redundant coverage with Bullet Seed and Stone Edge, as the only thing it allows you to hit harder is Gyarados, which already takes a ton of damage from both anyway. I'd suggest you use Mach Punch instead, as it's actually Breloom's best move. A Technician and Choice Band boosted Mach Punch will hit very hard and it gets priority, allowing you to OHKO dangerous threats such as Terrakion etc. before they can OHKO you. It's purpose is different from Low Sweep which is more useful to beat stuff like Latios etc..

Tentacruel wants a better moveset, as it's actually fairly weak and it sincerly doesn't use Waterfall very well, as well as Poison Jab being pretty bad. Using Scald gives it a reliable Water STAB attack that will also have a chance to burn the opponent's Pokemon, which is an incredible advantage when something such as Dragonite comes and try to set up on Tentacruel which is nothing more than set up bait. Protect gives it a way to recover its HP better making it a more reliable Rapid Spinner which won't mind entry hazards all that much, with the added bonus of increasing Toxic damage and scouting choiced Pokemon. Tentacruel will be much more effective that way.

I think that Thundurus-t can be very threatening to this team as your Electric resists get slammed by Hidden Power Ice and Focus Blast respectively, as well as actually be complete set up fodder for them. Your only faster Pokemon, Tornadus-T, can't revenge kill it since it resists all of its moves (in Rain, but it's not like a no weather Heat Wave will do a lot anyway.) From there, all of your other Pokemon will get slammed by Thundurus-T's electric STAB and you will end up getting swept by it fairly easily. I think that you could use a Latios instead of Rotom-W. Latios gives you an additionnal Electric resist which is pretty cool as well as adding Speed to your team which ensures Thundurus-T cannot sweep you, as well as adding extra insurance against annoying threats such as Will-O-Wisp Rotom-W which could burn Ferrothorn and be dangerous to the rest of your team. I think that Latios fits your team better than Rotom-W because of this.

Anyway that's pretty much it, here's the set you should use:
    Latios (open)

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    Timid
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Psyshock
    ~Surf
    ~Recover

Good luck!
  3. -Rockstar-

-Rockstar-

Hey there cool team you got here. The first change I would make is replacing your current Tornadus-T with a Life Orb Mixed Tornadus-T, you lose some speed but the power difference and the fact you can switch moves will do you very well . Now the next change would probably be to make Rotom-W a bit more bulky so it can take on Tornadus-T more effectively , i suggest this EV Spread 252 HP / 120 SpA / 48 SpD / 88 Spe and with the move Pain Split over Thunder because Volt Switch and Hydro Pump are already hitting everything pretty hard thanks to Rotom's typing so having Pain Split to have a good recovery move is a nice touch because Rotom-W is your only real hurricane counter right now. Tentacruel's set does not look okay too so I would suggest changing it to a Standard Rain Toxic Spikes set, not only will this give your team Toxic Spikes support but with Scald on Politoed and Tentacruel it gives you a really good chance to cripple switch-ins with the burn chance. Now Finally the last change I would suggest is changing Breloom's Thunderpunch to Mach Punch because the power of Choice Band you should be able to muscle your way through whatever you were using Thunder Punch for (Mainly Gyarados I guess) with your other 3 moves while Mach punch gives you a great priority move to use.

Sets (open)

[​IMG]
    Tentacruel @ Black Sludge | Rain Dish
    Bold| 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    Rapid Spin| Toxic Spikes | Scald | Protect

[​IMG]
    Tornadus-T @ Life Orb | Regenerator
    Naive|
    4 HP / 253 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Hurricane| Superpower | U-Turn | Tailwind

Good Luck!
  4. Someoneelse

Thundurus does sweep my whole team. One of you is telling me to change Rotom to Latios to counter Thundurus, but that gives me a Hurricane weakness. The other is telling me to adjust Rotom's set, which keeps a huge Thundurus weakness. Can anyone see my predicament?
  5. Ricky Horror

Ricky Horror

Hi,

I notice Jirachi can give your team some trouble. Breloom fail to KO or outspeed most variants. It can set up Subs and start Calm Minding away at please. I'd like to suggest Mamoswine. He will give an ELECTRIC immunity, hit the Therians, and also dent Jirachi. It wil also give more of an answer to Sun teams. This set is the on-site with a slight twist, just more tailored to your needs. Hope I helped any. Welcome to Vm for any more help. :)

Mamoswine>Breloom

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine@ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
    Adamant Nature
    ~Icicle Crash
    ~Earthquake
    ~Superpower
    ~Ice Shard
  6. Someoneelse

I changed ThunderPunch to Mach Punch, Tentacruel's set and Rotom to Latios. Thanks for the rates.
    Changed Breloom for Mamoswine. It is working well.

PS: Test my team!
  7. Dukewarrior13

Dukewarrior13

cant...read...so much color...eyes hurt...ouch....

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)