1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

First Real attempt at RU. I would really appreciate some feed back.

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Last Chance Breaker, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Last Chance Breaker

Last Chance Breaker

Hello there. I am just going to point at the title and ask you to guess what this is about. I know very little about the RU metagame. I did some research on it and created my first decent team. I wanted to ask for some further advice on it, so thank you. I am not going to make the whole thing super attractive to read and give it awesome presentation it doesn't need or deserve, just fill in the requirements and be on my way. Sorry, I am a lazy writer.

[​IMG]

Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Trait: Battle Armor
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Aqua Jet
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stone Edge

I wanted to try out Moltres for once, but I realised I needed some kind of spinner. I found out that Moltres works very well with Kabutops. Moltres can take out powerful Grass types that threaten Kab, and Kab obviously does it's job of removing the rocks that kill of the Ho-Oh wannabe. SD boosts Kabs power to very high levels, which allows it to Jet off with it's STAB priority or cave in with a very powerful STAB stone edge. It does it's job as effectivley as I need it too.

[​IMG]

Moltres @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Roost

Molt here is the basis of this team. I wanted to see what all the fuss is about, and I am glad I did. Fire blast burns holes into anything that doesn't pack a resist. HP Grass is much needed coverage against Water and Rock types that trouble this guy. Hurricane is an extremely powerful back up STAB, and stops Molt from becoming useless in rain. Although I am thinking about replacing it for Air slash, I don't like the idea of my two main moves both having 70 accuracy. Roost is simple, to heal off LO damage. I just have to be wary of Earthquake from wiser opponents.

[​IMG]Sceptile @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Unburden
    EVs: 32 Spd / 252 Atk / 224 SAtk
    Naive Nature
    - Acrobatics
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Rock Slide

This is the most powerful set I have come across for Scep. Mixed puts almost all opponents off guard, and what normally walls or destroys a physical or special set respectively, doesn't like this one very much at all. Acrobatics gets a large boost from Flying Gem. That obviously activates Unburden, meaning that Scep's speed becomes untouchable from anything not scarfed or boosted, and still outspeeds a good portion of them aswell. The oppoente will obviously then assume a physical set, but to then eat a very powerful Leaf storm or Hp Fire. Rock slide really hurts any fire type, and can be used even after Leaf storm thanks to the mixed set.

[​IMG]

Druddigon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Careful Nature
    - Glare
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Tail
    - Torment

I wanted to try something a bit more unorthodox. Although I pride myself in my logic (which I doubt I even have >.<) there is no harm in trying something new. I love tormentgon, it pisses of any wall that might expect Band drudd. Glare paralyzes anything it hits, even those pesky ground types. Dragon tail phases anything I want. Physical attackers also must be more careful, they don't appreciate Rough skin.

[​IMG]

Steelix @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roar

This utter beats is one of my favorite Pokemon in RU-no- of all time. The giant snake type thing sets up rocks with ease, 200 def makes it so almost no physical attacker can get past it easily. Even more SR phasing with Roar comes a curiosity. Although not the highest powered, Earthquake still punishes a lot of switch in's.

[​IMG]

Slowking @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Slack Off
    - Scald
    - Fire Blast
    - Toxic

Slowing is very effective on almost any team. Mine is no exception, being blessed with such RU royalty is an honor. I decided to go basic, Toxic stalling and slacking off. Scald is a good STAB to have, burning annoying steel and Poison types that resist Toxic. it also makes Physical attackers far less likely to switch in fear of the burn. Fire blast is just powerful coverage, (why the hell can he learn fire blast anyway??!?!) which really comes in handy for me.

Well, there it is. I would really love some help from the good people of smogon. Thank you for your time. (If I have appeared to broke some kind of rule, please inform. I will happily change the post to suit)
  2. ScraftyIsTheBest

ScraftyIsTheBest lovin'
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hello, I'll chime in. (Also, be sure to include at least three lines of description for each Pokemon!)

Having two Stealth Rock setters is really unnecessary, since only one is really needed. I'd suggest replacing Steelix with Qwilfish or Scolipede, since it is best to back up Druddigon's Stealth Rock with Spikes. Both of them can fit pretty well on this team; Qwilfish sets up Spikes and takes on a lot of RU's physical attackers, like Emboar, Entei, Escavalier, Durant, Hitmonlee, and a lot more. Scolipede, on the other hand, sets up fast Spikes and also puts the opening hurt on the team. It also deals with opposing Slowking and Uxie for the team to handle.

I'd suggest 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD for Slowking, since he needs the HP and still gets the overall bulk.

I'm not totally sure about MixTile, but I'm sure it could work. I might suggest a different spread since Sceptile needs the speed.

That's that and I hope I helped.

Sets (open)
    Qwilfish @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave
    - Waterfall
    - Pain Split

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Spikes
    - Megahorn
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
  3. Last Chance Breaker

Last Chance Breaker

Sorry about the descrip thing. It looked like there was more than 3 lines when I made it ;/ but I'll happily add more soon. Thanks for pointing that out.

I didn't actually mean to put SR on Drudd. It was supposed to be substitute. But I guess your set's do look appealing xD

On scep, it is one of the most powerful sets I have come across. I believe it was Hot'N'Cold that made it? I need to make sure, but whatever. it's very effective and hasn't let me down yet.

I really appreciate your contribution SITB (sorry, I didn't know what to call you >.<) and thanks :P
  4. New Breed

New Breed

Okay I'm seconding the Slowking spread change since it gives it the optimal bulk both physically and specially to take on what it needs to in the tier. I do have a few minor nitpicks of my own, I suggest you change Kabutops nature from Jolly to Adamant and Life Orb to Lum Berry, Jolly isn't really needed as most of the things that come in on you either die to a +2 Adamant Aqua Jet or outspeed you even if you're running Jolly. Lum Berry helps out alot in the metagame at the moment as it makes it harder to wear Kabutops down with Hail/Spikes/Toxic Spikes and just random status moves and as Kabutops is key for allowing multiple switch-ins for Moltres I think preserving Kabutops as much as possible is best.

I also feel like your team could appreciate a strong physical wall breaker to help Sceptile out late game, you could try Choice Band Druddigon over your current set, it would still give you a way to beat Grass types and not much in the tier bar Steelix really wants to come in on a CB Outrage and would really help clear out some physical walls to allow Sceptile a much easier time.

Summary of changes

Jolly Kabutops --> Adamant Kabutops
    Life Orb Kabutops --> Lum Berry Kabutops
    Torment Druddigon --> Choice Band Druddigon

Set(s)
    Show Hide
    Kabutops (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Battle Armor
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Aqua Jet
    - Rapid Spin

Druddigon (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Sleep Talk
  5. Last Chance Breaker

Last Chance Breaker

thank you New Breed. I will try out your sets, and see what I think. I appreciate your help :P

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)