ORAS OU First RMT- Hoopa-Unbound Team

Hi guys, this is my first RMT and it is based around Hoopa-Unbound.
How I Invented the Team:

Hoopa-Unbound: This thing is a beast. 160 base attack, a huge range of coverage, and just awesome stall breaking capabilities. I decided to run Assault Vest in order to tackle other Nasty Plot Hoopa-Unbound and other special attackers.

+

Skarmory: Hoopa-Unbound has terrible physical defences and hence we need a good physical wall. U-Turn Landorus-Therian is by far the most annoying thing ever to happen to Hoopa-Unbound. Rocky Helmet wears down these users and makes it easier for me to kill. He's also the teams dedicated defog user.

+

Mega Venusaur: I went for an offensive Venusaur-Mega team because of the sheer weakness of this team to Belly Drum Azumarill, Rotom-W, and Keldeo, which Venusaur can sort out quite well.

+

Hippowdon: Fire type killer. Murders Heatran, Talonflame, M-Charizard Y and other Fire-Type threats while also setting up Stealth Rock and being a another wall.

+

Heatran: Up until now this team had near-perfect synergy, except without a resistance to either Ice or Fire. Heatran resists both of these types, and is hence very good for switching into.

+
Gengar: This team is mainly walls now so I brought in Gengar as a special stallbreaker. Substitute can be used to set up on other walls and isn't weak to fairy types, making him quite powerful.

The Team (Also Importable)
Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magician
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Counter

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-257625710 (ends in stall, but shows Heatran's power)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-257631961

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Really unique team you got here, DeltaRuby. However, it could use some improvements.
First, I haven't really used Hoopa-U to make many suggestions on it, However, I do feel like drain punch + fire punch coverage is a bit redundant. I would use a move such as Psyshock and make it mixed so it can also break through physical walls, but hopefully someone else can help you with the spread.
Second, what's the spread on your SpDef Skarm for? You never really explained it. I would change it to 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD. Counter isn't good on SpDef Skarm, as its main role is to tank special hits. For this reason, I would suggest changing Counter to Whirlwhind to deal with set-up sweepers that are now harder to counter, such as Mega Pinsir and Mega Gallade. I would also advise running Brave Bird > Iron Head because your team has enough answers for Fairy types in Mega Venusaur, Heatran, and Gunk Shot Hoopa. Another option that I would highly recommend is making Skarmory physically defensive, since you have Heatran as your special wall.
On Mega-Venusaur, what's the spread? Also, you said you wanted to make it offensive. Sleep Powder is a bad choice, so I would recommend changing it for HP Fire. Also, change the EV spread to below. It lets you tank hits while outspeed Max Speed +Atk Azu:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis
Hippowdon seems a bit awkward here. It doesn't eliminate Char-Y and can't switch into Heatran's Lava Plume. You also need speed and since Hoopa-U is slow, you need U-Turn support to switch it in safely. I would heavily recommend scarf Landorus-T. This helps you deal with faster threats that pose a problem for your team, such as Tornadus-T.
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Knock Off/Superpower
On Heatran, it's a special wall. I wouldn't recommend Substitute and would replace it with Stealth Rock, since you got rid of Hippo. I would also choose Earth Power or Taunt > Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon has limited use and Earth Power helps beat opposing Heatran, while Taunt shuts down other walls. I would also advise changing the spread to at least outspeed Mega-Venusaur, which typically hit 200 speed, and minimum speed Suicune. 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe.
Gengar's item is Focus Sash, yet you have Substitute, which makes no sense. Change this to Black Sludge for passive recovery. Dark Pulse is also a bad move, and Gengar appreciates Sludge Wave for more power and coverage. I would also change Destiny Bond and choose something like Taunt, since you want it as a stallbreaker. If you want to be more offensive oriented, use Focus Blast > Taunt and choose life orb. You could also try the Hex set, since it's a better stallbreaker, but the life orb set is a better idea.

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hi DeltaRuby,

even if your team is a cool balanced, some sets and EV spreads are kinda messed up and Gengar is pretty random, so I'll fix this.

Let's start with Hoopa, which is a cool option, but despite of this, Hoopa should be your slot destinated to break through fat teams; in order to act this role, Hoopa needs a mixed movepool. I'll leave you two sets which are interchangeable.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

OR

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Psychic
- Hyperspace Fury
- Focus Blast

Secondly, Skarmory is great with a Special Defensive spread (it checks Mega Gardevoir -@DownAbove), but I don't get why you aren't spikestacking, considering that hazards ease Hoopa's job. So, I put Spikes over Defog and Whirlwind over Counter in order to take advantage from entry hazards. However, feel free to use Counter over Whirlwind if you prefer it to deal with last mon Scizor-Mega and other similar scenarios.
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 36 Atk / 216 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

The third member is Venusaur, and you used to run it with Sleep Powder, but this move is pretty useless in balanced teams, so just replace it with Hidden Power Fire.
Then, run it with this evs spread, as a spread with max special attack and no speed is pointless and you would miss much bulk.

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 184 HP / 180 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Full defensive Hippowdon is completely outclassed in balanced teams by a mixed defensive spread. This will still allow you to counter some threats such as Mega Lopunny and Excadrill, but it gives you a cool option to tank some special hits which is always appreciated. The moveset is perfect, whilst you mustn't use Sand Stream because it is detrimental for Venusaur's Synthesis.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Then, stallbreaker Heatran with Magma Storm is pretty cool in this team, but your spread isn't good at all. Stallbreaker Heatran needs a good Speed and Special Attack investment, while you don't need that Special bulk, but just a few EVs in HP in order to check Bisharp a bit better, which might be quite annoying for your team.
Anyways, you should replace the useless Substitute and Flash Cannon with Taunt and Earth Power: this will give you the possibility to hit the opposing Heatrans, while being able to prevent Clefable and Chansey from setting up and recovering respectively.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 92 HP / 216 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Finally, as I said at the beginning of the rating, Gengar with Substitute and Focus Sash is pretty random, therefore I would get rid of hit by replacing it with bulky Starmie which is destinated to hazards control your team needs. You won't lack a stallbreaker because you have already Heatran and Hoopa-Unbound, so stall and fat teams won't be a problem. I chose the reflect type variant in this team because I think it helps with Bisharp and checks even Charizard Y your team struggles a lot with and you don't need Psyshock for Keldeo as you already have Venusaur. SubCM variants might be dangerous, though.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Recover

This was a long rate, hope I helped though. Good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)