ORAS OU First RMT: Mega Pinsir

Hey guys! This will be my first RMT on the Smogon Forums! Although I've done some RMT on NuggetBridge for VGC teams, this will be my first time doing this with a team using Smogon rules. I'm still pretty beginner when it comes to competitive battling, so any advice and help with this team would be greatly appreciated!

Team building process:

I definitely wanted to use Mega Pinsir and because it needs a Rapid Spinner to get Stealth Rocks out of the way, I paired it up with Starmie to form a Mega Pinsir/Starmie core. Starmie can Rapid Spin Stealth Rocks out of the way. Mega Pinsir utilizes physical attacks to sweep while Starmie uses special attacks. The other four members will attempt to complement these two.

Both of these members had a weakness to electric types and I needed a bulky member to soak in these attacks, so I opted for a bulky Garchomp. Garchomp provides some needed bulkiness to the team and also can apply Stealth Rocks to the other team, weakening opponents to be swept by Mega Pinsir later in the match.

Now, I had a weakness to ice types, and needed patch this up. I needed a specially defensive member as well, and Heatran seemed to fit, as it is four times resistant to ice and is specially defensive. Heatran and Garchomp seem to have a little bit of overlap when it comes to utility (Toxic, Stealth Rocks) so some changes may be made later on.

I wanted to add a Pivot in order to keep some momentum going and I also needed some more offensive pressure on the team. I decided to add Scizor on the team for some additional typing. Because both Scizor and Mega Pinsir are weak to fire attacks, switching in Heatran to soak them in and get a Flash Fire boost would also be beneficial.

I wanted to round the team off with a support type team member and decided on Sylveon to act as a cleric, clearing status from my other team members, should they become burned or paralyzed.

Sets and Descriptions:

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

The main Pokemon I wanted to base the team around. The EV spread is pretty standard, maxing out attack do do as much damage as possible, while maxing out speed and pairing it with a Jolly nature in order to outspeed opponents with a base 100 speed. Hyper Cutter ability will be used in order to prevent Intimidate drops while Pinsir has not Mega evolved.

Swords Dance is used to raise attack and sweep through the enemy team late game. Return, boosted by Aerilate and STAB does a tremendous amount of damage while Quick attack also receives the same Aerilate and STAB bonus, but gets priority. I opted for Earthquake instead of Close Combat because Scizor’s Superpower already has fighting coverage.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

The core pairing for Mega Pinsir, Starmie is able to clear hazards, namely Stealth Rocks away for Mega Pinsir to come in, set up, and sweep. Starmie holds a Life Orb in order to increase damage output. Despite running maximum speed investment, the Analytic ability allows for Starmie to do much more damage if the opponent decides to switch on it. Maximum special attack investment is to maximize damage possible.

Hydro Pump and Psyshock are important STAB moves for Starmie to deal damage with, while Ice Beam provides type coverage, taking down flying types that may prove threatening to Mega Pinsir. Rapid Spin is essential on this set, as it is used to remove Stealth Rocks for Mega Pinsir.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic - Endure

Garchomp is used to soak up electric type attacks that threaten both Starmie and Mega Pinsir. With an impish nature, it can withstand physical attacks well and Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin will deal tons of damage to opponents who decide to use contact moves on it. Some special defense investment is needed in order to survive Gengar and Mega Charizard Y.

Stealth Rock is used to set hazards up for the other team, and because of this, Garchomp may be used as a lead. Earthquake is Garchomp’s main STAB move and Dragon Tail, while also gaining the STAB boost, is used for forcibly switching out opponents who are attempting to set up. Finally, Toxic whittles down the health of defensive tanks. I decided to relace Toxic with Endure as I changed Heatran's set into one with Toxic. Because of Garchomp's rough skin, Endure can be used to rack up additional residual damage on physical sweepers.

Heatran @ Leftovers Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature Timid Nature
- Lava Plume - Magma Storm
- Protect - Solar Beam
- Taunt - Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp - Toxic

Although Heatran provides needed defensive typing for the team, its role seems to overlap with Garchomp and I did not want Heatran to have more of an offensive role. Its investment in HP and special defense allow Manectric and Raikou to only 3HKO Heatran instead of 2HKO, and Heatran can withstand many other special attacks as well. Leftovers is the preferred item in order to have a constant source of recovery.

Laval Plume is the STAB attack for Heatran to deal damage. I substituted Toxic on Heatran for Will-O-Wisp, as I already had a Toxic user in Garchomp and I took out Stealth Rocks as well, as Garchomp fulfills that utility as well. As a result, I added Taunt to prevent set ups and Protect in order to stall for Toxic/Will-O-Wisp damage. Will-O-Wisp also cripples physical attackers.

Decided to change the specially defensive Heatran set into a Mental Herb/Solarbeam Heatran set, as Lone revealed my team's weakness to bulky water types and its hindrance on a Mega Pinsir sweep. Mental Herb Solarbeam would be able to get rid of these threats easily and allow Pinsir an easier time to set up and sweep.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Scizor provides some offense on my team as well as a bit of bulk. Maximum attack investment is for hitting as hard as possible while achieving some bulk with the maximum HP investment. Choice Band is for Scizor to hit enemies even harder.

Bullet Punch provides a priority STAB attack for Scizor, while U-turn allows Scizor to switch out and bait attacks that would otherwise be supereffective to gain momentum. Superpower takes care of steel types such as Ferrothorn and Heatran while Pursuit can trap psychic and ghost types that may be switching out.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Sylveon provides utility in the form of Heal Bell, being able to cure status from sweepers. The maximum EV investment in HP and defense, paired with a Bold nature is used to maximize physical bulk. Leftovers provides additional recovery in conjunction to the Wish/Protect combo and Pixilate gives Hyper Voice a STAB boost in damage as well.

Wish/Protect allow Sylveon to heal up safely, in addition to the Leftovers. It also allows stalling when against an opponent afflicted with poison or burn. Heal Bell is used to keep Mega Pinsir and Starmie healthy if they have status, and Hyper Voice allows Sylveon to deal respectable damage.

Thanks for reading! I would appreciate any advice or improvements I can make!

Importable:
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Endure

Heatran @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Toxic

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Last edited:
Hi Kangsar, cool team here i really like Mega Pinsir and I have a nice tip to make his sweeps easier. Change Heatran set in a lure set with Power herb solarbeam. The aim of this set is to bait and kill bulky waters such as rotom-w and slowbro. Also magma storm 2hkos hippowdon (with the standard smogon spread) removing another counter for Pinsir and preventing him for setting up rocks and specially it can lure Quagsire which is often the only answer of stall for mega pinsir .

Heatran @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Toxic

Hi Kangsar, cool team here i really like Mega Pinsir and I have a nice tip to make his sweeps easier. Change Heatran set in a lure set with Power herb solarbeam. The aim of this set is to bait and kill bulky waters such as rotom-w and slowbro. Also magma storm 2hkos hippowdon (with the standard smogon spread) removing another counter for Pinsir and preventing him for setting up rocks and specially it can lure Quagsire which is often the only answer of stall for mega pinsir .
Hide Hide

Heatran @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Toxic
That's really interesting and Power Herb Solarbeam would be useful as I don't have any grass coverage. The thing I would be concerned with if I changed Heatran to this set is that I feel that my team would be lacking some special defense. I might invest a little special defense into Sylveon if that's the case, considering Sylveon has excellent base special defense. Also, would it be better to switch Toxic on Heatran into Will-O-Wisp? I already have Toxic on Garchomp and I'm not sure if two Toxic users are optimal. Thanks for the tip though, that's definitely helpful!

I think Toxic is more useful on heatran since sword dance will o wisp Talonflame is a great threat for your team and Rocky helmet chomp cant really deal with him. For this reason i would change Toxic on garchomp for endure. In this way you can increase the residual damage on thing like Metagross putting him in range of starmie hydro pump. As you already said sylveon as a great special bulkyness so you dont really need investiment. (252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery)

Endure on bulky Garchomp is a really interesting choice. I'm going to have to try that out on Pokemon Showdown and see how that works out. Thanks so much for the tips!

Hey Kangsar, I some have suggestions on your sets to try to help your team function a bit better.

For one, the reason why people ran Earthquake on M-Pinsir was to hit Aegislash, but since that's banned now Close Combat is a better option for hitting Skarmory and Rotom-W for more damage than Return does. This also helps with hitting Balloon Heatran / Excadrill, so you should definitely run Close Combat > Earthquake on your Pinsir.

An issue i see with your team is that you don't have much to support your Pinsir offensively. What i mean by this is that you have nothing to really pressure stuff like Hippowdon, Skarmory, Garchomp, Rotom-W, and etc. to the point that they can't check your Pinsir anymore. Your Choice Band Scizor is the closest thing to be able to do that, but Skarm and Hippo shrug off those hits and will still beat your Pinsir 1v1. So i think you should change your Scizor from Choice Band to Life Orb Swords Dance to be able to help Pinsir immensely by breaking through these walls for it to be able to clean easier. This also helps in weakening electric types to try to put them in range of M-Pinsir's Quick Attack at +2.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 289-341 (95.3 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 212-250 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 294-347 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Garchomp: 329-387 (78.3 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 165-195 (43.1 - 51%) -- 57.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

LO Analytic Starmie is great for offense since you can get off a Spin when you need to, and still be able to have a lot of offensive presence, but your team is more of a bulky offense build and is very hazard weak. You need more longevity in your hazard remover when you have Pinsir and stuff like Scizor and Heatran that are very easily worn down by hazards. So you should run Bulky Starmie > Life Orb Analytic, for more consistent and reliable spinning.

You should also run Toxic > Will-O-Wisp on your Heatran so you can status Talonflame and be able to whittle down walls more. Toxic works very well with Taunt since you prevent recovery while Toxic damage racks up. And seeing as though you have a SpDef Heatran and a bulky fairy in the back to take on electric types, you really shouldn't waste your EVs on Garchomp to make it take an HP Ice from Raikou and M-Manectric when it isn't a mixed wall like Hippowdon. You should run a spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe on your Garchomp which allows you to outspeed Base 70s, namely Bisharp and Breloom, and be able to get off a hit first and preserve your bulk for other physical attackers. Fire Blast > Toxic should also be used since on it Balloon Excadrill and fast SD Scizor pose a big threat to you, and you already have Toxic on Heatran.

Lastly, since your team struggles a bit with Belly Drum Azumarill, M-Altaria, and Manaphy, you should run Unaware Clefable > Sylveon as your Cleric which still can Wish Pass and heal status conditions, but also beats stuff like Dragon Dance Dragonite, Feraligatr, and Power-Up Punch Lopunny that threaten you a lot.

In short:

Close Combat M-Pinsir > Earthquake M-Pinsir
Swords Dance Scizor > Choice Band Scizor
Bulky Starmie > Analytic Starmie
Toxic Heatran > Will-O-Wisp Heatran
Faster Fire Blast Garchomp > Slower Toxic Garchomp
Unaware Clefable > Sylveon

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Protect
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Hope i was able to help!

Hey Kangsar, I some have suggestions on your sets to try to help your team function a bit better.

For one, the reason why people ran Earthquake on M-Pinsir was to hit Aegislash, but since that's banned now Close Combat is a better option for hitting Skarmory and Rotom-W for more damage than Return does. This also helps with hitting Balloon Heatran / Excadrill, so you should definitely run Close Combat > Earthquake on your Pinsir.

An issue i see with your team is that you don't have much to support your Pinsir offensively. What i mean by this is that you have nothing to really pressure stuff like Hippowdon, Skarmory, Garchomp, Rotom-W, and etc. to the point that they can't check your Pinsir anymore. Your Choice Band Scizor is the closest thing to be able to do that, but Skarm and Hippo shrug off those hits and will still beat your Pinsir 1v1. So i think you should change your Scizor from Choice Band to Life Orb Swords Dance to be able to help Pinsir immensely by breaking through these walls for it to be able to clean easier. This also helps in weakening electric types to try to put them in range of M-Pinsir's Quick Attack at +2.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 289-341 (95.3 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 212-250 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 294-347 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Garchomp: 329-387 (78.3 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 165-195 (43.1 - 51%) -- 57.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

LO Analytic Starmie is great for offense since you can get off a Spin when you need to, and still be able to have a lot of offensive presence, but your team is more of a bulky offense build and is very hazard weak. You need more longevity in your hazard remover when you have Pinsir and stuff like Scizor and Heatran that are very easily worn down by hazards. So you should run Bulky Starmie > Life Orb Analytic, for more consistent and reliable spinning.

You should also run Toxic > Will-O-Wisp on your Heatran so you can status Talonflame and be able to whittle down walls more. Toxic works very well with Taunt since you prevent recovery while Toxic damage racks up. And seeing as though you have a SpDef Heatran and a bulky fairy in the back to take on electric types, you really shouldn't waste your EVs on Garchomp to make it take an HP Ice from Raikou and M-Manectric when it isn't a mixed wall like Hippowdon. You should run a spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe on your Garchomp which allows you to outspeed Base 70s, namely Bisharp and Breloom, and be able to get off a hit first and preserve your bulk for other physical attackers. Fire Blast > Toxic should also be used since on it Balloon Excadrill and fast SD Scizor pose a big threat to you, and you already have Toxic on Heatran.

Lastly, since your team struggles a bit with Belly Drum Azumarill, M-Altaria, and Manaphy, you should run Unaware Clefable > Sylveon as your Cleric which still can Wish Pass and heal status conditions, but also beats stuff like Dragon Dance Dragonite, Feraligatr, and Power-Up Punch Lopunny that threaten you a lot.

In short:

Close Combat M-Pinsir > Earthquake M-Pinsir
Swords Dance Scizor > Choice Band Scizor
Bulky Starmie > Analytic Starmie
Toxic Heatran > Will-O-Wisp Heatran
Faster Fire Blast Garchomp > Slower Toxic Garchomp
Unaware Clefable > Sylveon

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Protect
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Hope i was able to help!
Thanks so much for the improvements!
I was torn between whether I wanted the offensive Scizor or the slightly bulkier one but opted for the one with HP investment, though I'll definitely switch that around.
I only have one question: I'm curious as to why Frustration should be used over Return on Mega Pinsir.

Thanks so much for the improvements!
I was torn between whether I wanted the offensive Scizor or the slightly bulkier one but opted for the one with HP investment, though I'll definitely switch that around.
I only have one question: I'm curious as to why Frustration should be used over Return on Mega Pinsir.
It's for Ditto, which is super situational. If the Ditto copies you and has max happiness then Frustration will be EXTREMELY weak.

It's for Ditto, which is super situational. If the Ditto copies you and has max happiness then Frustration will be EXTREMELY weak.
Oh, okay I see. So Frustration at 0 happiness does the same damage as Return at max happiness, right?

Oh, okay I see. So Frustration at 0 happiness does the same damage as Return at max happiness, right?
Yeah, they're both 102 Base Power so they do the same exact damage.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Frustration vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 698-824 (216 - 255.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 698-824 (216 - 255.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, they're both 102 Base Power so they do the same exact damage.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Frustration vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 698-824 (216 - 255.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 698-824 (216 - 255.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Okay, thanks so much for the information!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)