First RMT: Possibly Standard

Possibly Standard

So I've never done an RMT before, and I'm not fantastic at this or anything, but I was just playing around with the idea of a Dual Weather team. Turns out they aren't as awful as I've always thought.

In fact, they're quite decent. The key for me is not to focus on what weather is up right now, but rather to take advantage of whatever is up. Even if that weather isn't your weather.

The Team

The Details

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 148 HP / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

So, the first half of the dual weather team. The choices were Offensive T-tar, Defensive Hippowdon and Defensive T-tar. But I've never really thought of weather-setters as great defensive choices, because if an unlucky crit gets in there, you can say good bye to your weather and your wall.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hypnosis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Roar

Defensive Ninetales makes up the second half of the dual weathers, despite my previous comment of weather-setters as a poor defensive choice. There just wasn't a justifiable reason for me to use Ninetales offensively.

And yes, double status is a real set on Ninetales. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The idea of running Sunny Day on this team never even came through my mind, since the weather isn't going to be very stable anyways, and I don't fear sand like so many other sun-based teams.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

A fairly standard Forretress set. I used Volt Switch for a while, but I decided that I really didn't need the move since it wasn't as if Forretress would land any real outspeeds against threats. It's not the greatest wall, but it's role as a spiker and a spinner is reason enough to land him a spot on the team.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Rock Polish
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rock Polish Landorus. There really isn't much to say here aside from the fact that it's one of the better late game cleaners out there. The nature is Modest because honestly, Timid Landorus doesn't outspeed any threats at +2 that Modest Landorus can't.

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

Who's a nice cottonbal- OW GODDAMMIT! That's roughly the reaction I get whenever I switch in this monster. Outside the sun, it's still a fast bugger and lands some nice sleeps.

In the sun though, this thing shuts down everything without priority. And even some things with priority can't stop it. Scarf Keldeo? Jumpluff. Rock Polished Terrakion? Jumpluff.

The only problem with Jumpluff is that it dies about as fast as it is. Thankfully, practically any common threat to Jumpluff is dealt with by this last guy.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Yep. Gastrodon. The bane of 90% of rain teams, and a great check against the majority of Ice Shard users and Steel-types. I ran Clear Smog over Toxic to prevent something like Conkeldurr from trying to set up its Bulk Ups, but after a few matches, it became clear that there wasn't anything that could set up and present a real threat that wasn't dealt with by Jumpluff or Landorus.

Closing Notes
Well, that's about all there is to say about this team. It's standard enough to work, but not standard enough to be very easily countered.

Any suggestions or improvements is always appreciated, so feel free to leave them.

Hey!

This is a solid team, however, it can be improved so let's go with the rate. First of all, I suggest you to use Choice Band Tyranitar with 104 EVs on Speed, which allow to outspeed Skarmory and to 2HKO it with Stone Edge, 104 EVs on Speed allow to outspeed and Pursuit/Crunch some fast version of Jellicent before they Will-O-Wisp you as well. Then, speaking about Ninetales, you should use Sunny Day replacing Hypnosis because it's a very important move to win the weather wars against Sand and Rain teams since it allows to make pointless Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon's switch in, otherwise Hypnosis isn't a very good move in my opinion because it has only 60% of accuracy so it's a very risky move. Now, moving on Gastrodon, I'd use Toxic replacing Clear Smog, because it's simple a better move Clear Smog on Gastrodon since it allows to poison Pokèmon such as Jellicent and Rotom-W which don't take much damages from Gastrodon's other moves; don't worry about Conkeldurr, it isn't a threat for this team since both Jumpluff and Landorus can hit hard it with Acrobatics and Earth Power respectively.

After that, you can try this EV spread on Landorus 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd, which allows to outspeed all the relevant threats after a Rock Polish, such as Venusaur under sun and to have more staying power at the same time, which allows to setup more easily of course and to tank attacks better in general and both of those things that this EV spread allows are useful in some chances. Credit to Lavos Spawn for the EV spread by the way.

As last thing, you can try Venusaur instead of Jumpluff which is simple a Chlorophyll sweeper better in general: it has higher defensive statistics, it has more fire power as well and it outspeeds all the relevant threats under sun anyway even if has less speed than Jumpluff. An EV spread of 252 SAtk / 72 HP / 4 Def / 180 Spd with a moveset of Growth, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Fire, with Timid nature and with Life Orb should work fine on your team. However, this is optional so if you want to keep Jumpluff and be more original you are completely free to do that but you should try Venusaur at the same time and see how it works on your team. Credit to BKC for Venusaur's EV spread anyway, which allows to outspeed all the relavant threats under sun and to have more staying power to setup more easily and to tank better some attacks such as Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch and Mamoswine's Ice Shard, which can be troublesome for Venusaur.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I made most of those changes, but I've tried Sunny Day on Ninetales before on this team, and it honestly doesn't make too much of a difference on a dual weather team, considering how my own weather is going to sooner or later break the sun either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)