1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First RMT - Sand :)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Goliath, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Goliath

Goliath

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey guys this is my first post and RMT. This team was built around my favorite pokemon, metagross. His stats and typing make him an excellent pokemon to build a team around.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Sand Stream
    Adamant
    EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Crunch
    ~Pursuit
    ~Superpower

Well, considering this is a sand team I needed to start off with the best weather starter, Tyranitar. Tyranitar is mainly there to set up rocks, trap the lati twins, and be my special wall. His biggest flaw is his incredible weakness to physical attacks, mainly fighting types. That's where the next guy comes in. A lot of people have suggested Hippowdon, but I find Tyranitar packs more of a punch and has a better benefit from sandstorm. With his current moves I find him doing a lot more than just setting up sandstorm and rocks. I have been thinking I should maybe fit another move in instead of crunch. Many times I have been wishing I had superpower instead of another dark type move.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Grass Knot
    - Thunder Wave
    - Slack Off
    - Scald

Slowbro, he is such a beast. He tanks physical hits like no other. As mentioned before he is my physical tank, mainly there to spread some parahax and counter many large threats such as terrakion. I really have no idea why this guy is so underused. He can also return some damage to terrakion with scald. The only move I am iffy about is thunder wave. I find that I never really have the time to use it. Any suggestions about it would be awesome.

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 92 Spd / 252 Atk / 164 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Meteor Mash
    - ThunderPunch
    - Hammer Arm

Metagross, the star of the team! This guy is my main physical attacker, usually coming in early to mid game and just punches gigantic holes in teams. His meteor mash STAB is awesome and is a very underestimated threat. Once again, I am currently switching out thunderpunch every so often for some other coverage moves. He can also come in and revenge kill with the bullet punch if is needed. He is the only member of the team that I feel needs to stay. As for is item, his band gives him even greater power, though sometimes I wonder how a life orb would work on him.

Latios @ Choice Specs
    Levitate
    Timid
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Psyshock
    ~Surf
    ~Trick

This Latios is my late game cleaner. He comes and just annihilates enemies with his draco meteors. I feel that his moves are pretty good with decent coverage, the only questionable change would be dragon pulse over draco meteor. For his item, I feel like his scarf really completes his set. I have seen some really successful specs and life orb sets. Once I eliminate steels with lucario he usually comes in and cleans up.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - Swords Dance
    - Extremespeed

This lucario is my mid to late game sweeper. After metagross has punched his holes in teams, lucario can come in, swords dance and start sweeping. I have thought about making him a special set with nasty plot, but his physical set seems to have a better fit with my team. I chose crunch over ice punch because I seem to run into jellicent a lot more than I run into dragons. Extremespeed is incredible after a +2. He is one of the most reliable of my pokemon and always pulls a kill or 2.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
    Justified
    Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    ~Hydro Pump
    ~Surf
    ~Secret Sword
    ~Hidden Power Ice

He is the standard rapid spinner set. There is really nothing much to say about him, because most games he never really comes out into the battle. On the rate occasion he does all he does is spin and come out. He does often act as a spore taker and all around status absorber. I really need a spinner for this team but I find he is the least used of all my pokemon. I believe this is my most vulnerable spot.

Well guys thanks for the reading and please feel free to rip this team apart if it has to. I will make changes ASAP. Thank you in advance :)
  2. Jirachee

Jirachee Kaleidoscope
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

Since you're saying that Starmie feels like the most useless Pokemon on your team, I'll try to work on that. Honestly I feel like with a few tweaks, your team won't need a Spinner anymore. You already have Lucario who can put a lot of pressure on most Spikers, namely Forretress, Ferrothorn and Skarmory. The only common Spiker it has issues with is Deoxys-D. Since you have Tyranitar, why not make it a Choice Band variant instead? CBTar will OHKO leading Deoxys-D, limiting it to Stealth Rock only, which doesn't bother your team all that much. Most Deoxys-D lead anyway, so Tyranitar is safe against them.

Now that you don't need a spinner anymore, I feel like you should change some of your sets a bit. I think you could use Choice Scarf Keldeo instead of Starmie, and change your Latios set to a Choice Specs one. Keldeo is the most effective Choice Scarfer in the metagame atm, especially with Tyranitar. Tyranitar can Pursuit pretty much every Keldeo counter there is, so then it's able to run through the opponent's team. Latios is usually better at wallbreaking anyway, and with a boost to Draco Meteor, it will be very hard to switch into.

However, now you're left without Stealth Rock, which is a very important thing to have. I think that you should try out a Bronzong instead of your Metagross to fix that issue. Bronzong is a very reliable SRer and it can deal with most Dragons with relative ease, as well as being an alright back-up check to threatening sweepers such as Rock Polish Landorus-I. Sadly, I don't think Metagross is a very effective Pokemon to use in BW2 and its supporting/defensive sets are often outdone by Bronzong, who has better Special Defense and Levitate to avoid Earthquakes, which is a very cool thing. If you want to keep Metagross, you can always try a Stealth Rock set, but be aware that you might lose a lot of effectiveness with it.

Last thing you might want to change is Grass Knot on Slowbro. While it gives you a tool to hit Gastrodon with, it doesn't do anything else very useful. I think that Ice Beam would be a much better choice for your team. Ice Beam allows Slowbro to KO annoying Dragons, as well as giving you something that can damage Celebi a bit. If you can catch an offensive Celebi on the switch, it will probably take a lot of damage. You can also try out Fire Blast if you want to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor, or Psyshock for another STAB. Just don't use Grass Knot.

Here are the sets you should use:
    Tyranitar (open)

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Sand Stream
    Adamant
    EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Crunch
    ~Pursuit
    ~Superpower

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Choice Specs
    Levitate
    Timid
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Psyshock
    ~Surf
    ~Trick

[​IMG]
    Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
    Justified
    Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    ~Hydro Pump
    ~Surf
    ~Secret Sword
    ~Hidden Power Ice

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    ~Gyro Ball
    ~Earthquake
    ~Hidden Power Ice
    ~Stealth Rock

Good luck!
  3. Goliath

Goliath

I have been testing these new changes and they are all really working out well. With choice specs latios is destroying stall teams with his massive meteors. Keldeo> Starmie was another awesome choice because I dont feel like I have a wasted spot anymore. CB Tyranitar was another awesome change, his newfound power is incredible, and adding Superpower helps me destroy some new pokes like ferrothorn and heatran. The only change I am having a little trouble with his replacement of metagross, I tried a SR set but found it lacking. When I went back to the CB set its power is too immense to give up. Is there maybe a LO set or EB set I can check out? Thanks for the help :)
  4. Goliath

Goliath

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)