First RMT-Sun

This is my first RMT ever. I’d really like help with my team!

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Ninetales needs to survive for as long as possible to win a weather war, if any. If my opponent does not run a weather team, I’ll try to do as much damage with Flanthrower and Hidden Power and cripple sweepers with Will-o-Wisp. I’m looking to use a more offensive EV spread but I’m not sure if I should.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

My special sweeper. Hidden Power Fire for steels and Sludge Bomb for secondary STAB. Can also absorb Toxic Spikes if I need to.

Sawsbuck (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power
- Horn Leech
- Return

My physical sweeper. Sawsbuck’s speed lets it outrun most pokemon under the sun, even scarfed ones. I use Return over Double-Edge since I often find Sawsbuck dying quickly from the opponents attacks, hazards, statuses, and recoil so I prefer to let it live longer. Horn leech can help heal LO recoil while Nature Power becomes Earthquake to let me hurt Steel types.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

I added Dugtrio as suggested in order to better counter opposing weather inducers like Tyranitar and Politoed. This set uses a Focus Sash to get Dugtrio down to 1 hp and then hit for heavy damage with Reversal.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume

As people have suggested, Heatran has replaced Jirachi as the wall on my team in order to counter Volcarona and Lati@s. I'm using Stealth Rock over Roar since my team is more offensively based. Leftovers is my item here since none of my pokemon have any other forms of recovery.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar

Latias replaced Starmie since I only have one Stealth Rock weak pokemon now. This set is a defensive Calm Mind set and forms a core along with Heatran. Latias also serves as my phazer.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Right now your team is EXTREMELY weak to Volcarona at the moment. If one comes in and sets up on you, you might as well quit. You are also extremely LO Lati@s weak. HP Fire in the sun will take out Jirachi, allowing it to pretty much run through the rest of your team with D-Meteor. To alleviate some of this stress, I recommend you replace you current Jirachi with Heatran. A specially defensive version will help you immensly with Volcarona, as well as provided much need defense against the Lati twins. GLB.

You'll need something that can take Draco Meteors and something that can counter Volcarona as said above. I suggest a Special Defensive Heatran. Edit: Ninja'd

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Nature/EVs are up to you.
Trait: Flash Fire
Moveset:
-Roar
-Toxic
-Filler (probably Protect)
-Lava Plume

I'd probably replace Rachi.

Keep mind Sand Rush Excadrill can destroy you so you'll need something to shut it down. Technician Breloom with Spore gets priority Mach Punch which kills TTar and Drillboy.

I agree with the above statement. Blissey and Chansey could also wall Volcarona and the Latis pretty effectively, though they'd have to watch out for the odd Psyshock from Latios.

Have you ever tried a Bulky Venusaur with Leftovers, I tried out Sun recently and I kinda liked Leftovers and the added bulk. Also Power Whip and Giga Drain are perfectly legal on the Plant Dinosaur.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it really necessary to run two Flash Fire users? I suggest using a Salamence in place of Arcanine. In the sun, Salamence essentially gets perfect STAB coverage bar Heatran. It also helps you check opposing sun teams as well.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate
Naive
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Salamence can be a good bet, as New World Order suggested, but I was thinking of going a different route. Reversal Dugtrio can be extremely helpful in removing your opponents weather. When given a focus sash, he can tank a hit, and OHKO T-Tar. He also has the benefit of trapping him, so it's not like he can switch out. It does the same thing to politoed. EQ + Reversal from 1HP is a KO everytime. GLB.

Hey there.

First off, run Roar on Heatran over Toxic. Roar allows you to phaze and rack up Stealth Rock damage on your opponent; it also stops you from being set up fodder for threats such as Sub DD Dragonite and Sub CM Latias. Bulky waters don't hinder your sweepers at all, so poisoning them will not be as beneficial.

Also, I agree with Howard on replacing Arcanine with a Dugtrio. As he stated, it can win you the weather battle many times, which is especially important for sun teams as they need sun in order to have any chance to win at all. Dugtrio can also decimate walls such as Blisse with Reversal, that would otherwise greatly hinder your Venusaur's sweeping capabilities. The EV Spread for Dugtrio is 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with a Jolly nature. The moveset is Reversal / Earthquake / Sucker Punch / Stone Edge with a Focus Sash. The given moveset stops Dugtrio from being setup fodder for the likes of Gyarados and Dragonite, and also lets Dugtrio pick off weakened threats such as Latios with Sucker Punch.

I suggest running Hidden Power Ground over Hidden Power Fighting on Ninetales, as it lets Ninetales deal damage to Heatran and weaken it for the remainder of your team. Hidden Power Fighting isn't needed regardless due to Will-O-Wisp and the addition of Dugtrio.

Finally, run Nature Power over Jump Kick on Sawsbuck. Nature lets Sawsbuck decimate the likes of Jirachi and Heatran much more easily (Nature Power transforms into EQ during PO / WiFi battles if you did not know). Skarmory can take Jump Kicks very easily regardless, so getting walled by it by running Nature Power isn't a huge loss.

Hope I helped, and good luck!

Hi,

1) Run flame charge on Heatran so you can outspeed a lot after +1
|

Heatran
(F) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 76 HP / 232 SAtk / 200 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flame Charge

2) Instead of Venusaur take a look at this one:
|

Shiftry
(M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 140 Atk / 156 SAtk / 212 Spd
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Credit goes to Brizznetz !!!

Hi,

1) Run flame charge on Heatran so you can outspeed a lot after +1
|

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 76 HP / 232 SAtk / 200 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flame Charge

2) Instead of Venusaur take a look at this one:
|

Shiftry (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 140 Atk / 156 SAtk / 212 Spd
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Credit goes to Brizznetz !!!
He's running SpDef Heatran. Also Shiftry is bad compared to the Venusaur.

I disagree with the statement about Shiftry. With the proper team support, Shiftry can be a very effective sun sweeper, and it's a viable counter for Jellicent. The ghost jellyfish doesn't like boosted Sucker Punches or Leaf Storms after all. That's my opinion though.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
He's running SpDef Heatran. Also Shiftry is bad compared to the Venusaur.
Why is Shiftry bad compared to Venusaur? They do seperate things. Shiftry's job is designated revenge killer, being able to pick of things like the Latii twins and Tyranitar with Sucker Punch and Low Kick. Venusaur is more of a late game sweeper who comes in to close the game off after everyone is weakened.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello. Cool sun team. First off, I completely agree with Shakeitup's suggestion of Dugtrio (except over Sawsbuck). Dugtrio trapping Tyranitar will really help out your team since you have so much sun sweepers. Also as much as I love that Heatan set ala posted ;), I'm going to recommend keeping your current set. Your team really needs that extra bulk, plus Heatran is really the only thing you have to take a Banded Outrage from Dragonite/Haxorus. Scarf Landorus beats every member of your team. Your only hope of taking it out is Venasuars unboosted Sludge Bomb/Energy Ball (which is far from a OHKO). To help with this I'm going to recommend using Hidden Power Ice over Fire. This change doesn't 100% solve your Landorus problem, but atleast you have a chance against it now. Right now Terrakion walks all over your team. To help with this I'm going to recommend using Choice Band Infernape over Arcanine. Infernape Mach Punch will help with Terrakion along with stuff like Heatran or Tyranitar. Another reason you should use Infernape is you lose a Stealth Rock weak Pokemon which brings me to my next point. With only 1 SR weak Pokemon and Venasaur sucking up Toxic Spikes (ew), Starmie's Rapid spinning will be less valuble to your team. Trick Room/Calm mind Reuniclus will give you a lot of trouble so I'm going to recommend using Calm Mind Latias over Starmie. Latias gives you a check to Reunilcus (by Roaring it out) along with a solid switch in to Rain sweepers. Latias synergyzes perfectly with Heatran forming a very solid deffensive core. Latias will also lure in Tyranitar so you can simply double switch to Dugtrio and trap Tyranitar! Finally, I not really a fan of Substitute on Ninetales (especially without a Wish passer) so i'm going to recommend using Safeguard instead. Safeguard will greatly help Latias and Venasaur with set up.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly nature
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- U-Turn

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spf
Timid nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Roar

good luck :)

well on venusaur replce HP ice by HP fire as ice isnt doing much to other mons beside dragonite and salamence, and mence is also KOed with sludge bomb... so keep HP fire on the dino plant.

well on venusaur replce HP ice by HP fire as ice isnt doing much to other mons beside dragonite and salamence, and mence is also KOed with sludge bomb... so keep HP fire on the dino plant.
As horribly worded as this is, I highly suggest you do it. HP ice isn't doing much aside from getting Dragonite and Salamence, with it as opposed to HP fire, you lose to basically every steel type.

Hmm, have you tried Intimidate Hitmontop? He works quite well with sun teams, providing a key Rock resist, general physical bulk and a reliable way of spinning rocks (outside of vs. dual ghost scenarios), one of the biggest issues for winning a weather war with Ninetales. More so, he is a very reliable check to both Terrakion and Ttar, who are again huge problems for standard sun teams.

Also, as a small nitpick, your EVs on Sawsbuck seem somewhat odd to me :/ A spread of 20 Hp/252 Atk/236 Spd w/Adamant offers more offensive prowess, a tiny bit more bulk, as well as the capacity to outspeed + natured base 80s out of the sun. Really the only possible threat Jolly helps you with is Rotom-W out of the sun, and he's often scared off by the threat of Horn Leech before he'll go for the WoW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)